Twin Peaks Returns

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Twin Peaks Returns

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone here seen any of the new Twin Peaks yet? Jesus, man. Incredible. So good. I won't post any spoilers, but I can't wait to talk about it in detail.
nghst
Known user

Re: Twin Peaks Returns

Post by nghst »

I watched the first 4 episodes last night and today on my day off. It's like nothing else on TV, that's for sure. It didn't grab me like Season 1 did when I first saw it over ten years. I was in a different place then, but I think this new Twin Peaks is different too. It seems to follow artistic ideas more than a story line although there is a story there. I haven't watched any Lynch films in years so it was a bit of jolt to see this different way of dialogue, many times slower, simpler and more poetic. It's sort of funny and offsetting to see well known actors acting a bit weird. I going to keep watching with a hope that the plot will start to tighten up, but also try to enjoy the absurdity and artistic nature of the show.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I've seen parts 1 & 2 so far. Absolutely incredible television. I'm really glad they've not just tried to recapture the original 25 years later, but they've pushed it somewhere new.

To have 18 hours of Lynch-directed material is wonderful, especially when it seemed a few years ago that we'd never see any more films/TV from him.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Watched 1 & 2, and I'm as confused as ever.

Sort of like watching any other Lynch movie, haha.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

davedecay wrote:Watched 1 & 2, and I'm as confused as ever.

Sort of like watching any other Lynch movie, haha.
Edit: See my newer post and check out the article I linked to.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I watched 3 and 4 last night. Man, so great. I have read some gripes online, but as far as I'm concerned, the show is perfect so far. Episode 4 brought back a lot of the classic Twin Peaks vibe and focused more on the original characters. The scenes with Gordon Cole and Albert were tremendous. There's a great article in Vanity Fair for anyone who might be a little confused or need reminders as to what from the original series is tying in here. Very astute observations, some of which I completely missed. Not sure I agree with everything the author says, but it's well-worth a read:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... de-1-2-3-4
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

You either love it or hate it, and at the moment I can't get enough of it. It's all there again, with some wonderful stuff from the Red Room. I just can't keep my eyes off the screen when it's on. Just watched episodes 1-4 over a couple of days. There's nothing like it, and it's been too long a wait. Bring on that weird shit that is " The Evolution of the arm" !??
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

BROKENHEART wrote:You either love it or hate it, and at the moment I can't get enough of it. It's all there again, with some wonderful stuff from the Red Room. I just can't keep my eyes off the screen when it's on. Just watched episodes 1-4 over a couple of days. There's nothing like it, and it's been too long a wait. Bring on that weird shit that is " The Evolution of the arm" !??
Totally agree. I don't think I have ever been so thrilled watching a tv show. It's incredible. I pre-ordered the book that's coming out in October, The Final Dossier, as well as the new soundtrack LP the other day.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

The one thing that's maybe put me off a tiny little bit is the complete lack of even remotely normal dialogue. But even so I'm totally hooked already too! Another 10 days before the next ep? I'll have to watch Fire Walk With Me again and try to get my hands on "The Secret History of Twin Peaks" to fill the gap!

Not so comprehensive as that Vanity Fair link, but a decent article about the first 4 eps on digitalspy: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/twin-peaks ... sodes-1-4/
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I felt like episode 4 was the closest we've gotten to the original Twin Peaks. Albert and Gordon's conversations felt very familiar. I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about how long it's going to take for Cooper to return to his normal self or if that well happen at all. The character of Dougie is going to start to grate if he sticks around for too long.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Think the coffee brought Coop back. That whole bit was amazing. Mr Jackpots.

Great return.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone watch episode 5 yet?
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I watched episode 5 last night after I got home from work. The show is still moving along slowly and I agree with you Warmth that Agent Cooper needs to return soon.

I became a fan of Lynch after watching Mulholland Dr. circa 2005. A year before I had seen Blue Velvet and didn't like it at all. But Mulholland changed everything and I became a huge Lynch fan and saw everything he had a part of. I anticipated Inland Empire greatly. When I finally watched that film it was a bit of a letdown although there are still some moments from it that still stick in my mind. Then I went 10 years without watching anything Lynch until Twin Peaks: The Return. Since I haven't been captivated by Season 3 I wondered if my previous adoration of Lynch was ill founded. So I went back and started watching Season 1 and it's still much better in my mind then this new addition to the series. I also took in another viewing of Mulholland Dr. and it is still utterly hypnotic to me. I think I'll watch Elephant Man again too to see if it stands the test of time. I think a lot of hard work and time was put into The Return, but to me it's closer to Inland Empire so far in that it has a lot of artistic material put into it, but it is not spell binding as a whole.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like Mulholland Drive a lot, too. I think the new season of TP has a lot in common with that movie, though, so I'm surprised you're not more enthusiastic. Stick with it, though. I think patience be rewarded once the story progresses more. I will say that I am totally captivated by it, though. I have pretty much loved every second of it.

Do you still dislike Blue Velvet? That's a classic in my book.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

TheWarmth wrote:Do you still dislike Blue Velvet? That's a classic in my book.

I didn't like it, but when I really got into Lynch I changed my mind, saw it in a different way and did like it. Now I'm not sure mainly because of the violent love making scene. I don't think I'll watch it again. I stopped watching Game of Thrones and The Americans because of their portrayals of violence against women, which was unfortunate because I really liked those shows up to that point. :cry:

I think Mulholland Dr. is his masterpiece. It's dark and beautiful, haunting and mysterious.

Because I was so into Lynch at one time in my life I am curious to see how things turn out for Twin Peaks. So I will stay tuned.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ep6 :shock: :( :| :cry:
Wow.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, pretty brutal. The one big question that still looms is when is Cooper going to wake up? It better be soon, because he's on the hit list.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Naomi Watts can look after him, she's a tough dame.

Her speech to the loansharks was one of a multitude of highlights from ep6. I thought it was just a terrific episode, the tragedy/hilarity of dougie/coop, the harry dean stanton scenes (been smoking every day for the last 75 years!), Albert cussing Gene Kelly, Ike the Spikes brutal murders juxtaposed with the mundane, that hit & run, Diane, Sharon Van Etten & plenty of other story related stuff I can't remember right now..

Honestly I didn't expect it to be as brilliant as it is.
Alongside Fargo & Better Call Saul I think this is one great year for tv.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I am and have been for many years a huge Twin Peaks fan. I'll follow Lynch/Frost wherever they go with this season. I agree that episode 6 was excellent. I do find Dougie amusing, but a lot of fans are already sick of him and, I have to admit, I will be disappointed if we don't see a major shift away from Dougie towards some semblance of the real Dale Cooper within the next few episodes.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Back from holidays and I watched eps 5 and 6 in a row last night. I also read Mark Lynch's Secret History of Twin Peaks in that two week gap - good as an easy holiday read.
It works as a case file being reviewed and commented on by FBI agent T.P, consisting of some old documents, and mostly narrated and commented by someone we know and who eventually gets revealed. To be perfectly honest it feels a bit like a history of major American conspiracy theories... but it's a good reminder of some of what happened in the first series, it gives background to some new characters, gives maybe a handful of answers. Considering some of the major characters include definitely departed ones (Dougie Milford!) I'm not sure whether others in the book will gain relevance or not, but it'll be fun to see.

Ep 6 was great - and definitely building up to Cooper's return!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I'm starting to reconcile that we may not even see the full return of good Coop, let alone have him fully functioning within the next few weeks.
But I'm also open the possibility he could recover in the next couple of episodes. Just dont know tbh, just along for the ride at this point rather than fighting against it. I have full faith in what they're doing with the show, I've been really impressed with its return.

I know a lot of people are already fed up with the dougie/Coop but I've found it increasingly effective and affecting.
& even when he does come to he still has to sort thru the reality of Dougies life, Sonny Jim & Janey-E, if that even is reality(!).
I think this is may be the Coop arc & there's a chance he won't recover until late in the season/maybe doesn't recover.
Think next week will be Diane interviewing Evil Coop but other than that I think anything is possible. I mean Dougie/Coop still has to extricate himself from the insurance company/tom sizemore frauds as well before he gets back to twin peaks so I tend to think it may be a little while yet.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Really enjoyed Ep.6 last night. So many different plots and new characters introduced in this episode. Climaxing with the wonderful Sharon Van Etten playing out in the Bang Bang Bar .
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I read the Secret History, too. T.P. is Tamara Preston, the agent played by Chrysta Bell in the new series.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Also, Dougie is next on Ike the Spike's list. Maybe an attack will jar Cooper back? Maybe Janey-E will handle Ike? Can't wait to find out.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

TheWarmth wrote:I read the Secret History, too. T.P. is Tamara Preston, the agent played by Chrysta Bell in the new series.

Indeed, I didn't want to make too obvious ;) We don't really learn anything about her, but at least we know how she's there.
Having now watched FWWM again I'd say that's probably the most essential thing to see prior to this new series (and I wish I'd watched it again earlier).

And I can't believe no-one's mentioned Hawk when talking as to how soon the real Cooper may come back! I actually really liked how the "related to his Indian heritage" clue got me (and I guess many others) thinking it must have been related to something really spiritual or otherwordly... and what did it turn out to be? A toilet cubicle company! But yeah between the mad killer chasing him, the appearance of Diane (a character who can possibly say for sure Fake Coop in that jail isn't Coop) and Hawk finding the clue something's got to happen soon. Not that I think we need to rush :)
Last edited by flokie on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, Nez Perce is the name of his ancestor's tribe, so I guess that's the reference to his heritage.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Exactly, but I would've expected that the Log Lady's clue would have been resolved through something less mundane than a toilet door company!
But that's exactly the kind of thing that makes me love Twin Peaks - so many bizarre going-ons but this time the surprise is in how mundane the resolution is when that's the last thing I'd have thought of.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

flokie wrote:And I can't believe no-one's mentioned Hawk when talking as to how soon the real Cooper may come back! I actually really liked how the "related to his Indian heritage" clue got me (and I guess many others) thinking it must have been related to something really spiritual or otherwordly... and what did it turn out to be? A toilet cubicle company!
Absolutely this.
Episode 6 nearly had too much to digest. Really outstanding piece of tv.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You guys watch 7? Spoiler alert! Stop reading now if necessary.

Dern absolutely kills it! "Fuck you, Tammy."
Something awful happened between Diane and Mr. C. Did he rape her?
Did Mr. C rape Audrey while she was in a coma (resulting in Richard Horne)???
Ike is back! Man, was that exciting.
Sherriff Truman's hilarious wooden paneled computer monitor.
Jerry is high AF, but what does he see? A friend hypothesized that it's the entrance to the White Lodge. Could be.
Is the charred man the Log Lady's husband?
Is Cooper's old Great Northern key causing the humming in Ben Horne's office.
I'm curious as to the significance of Beverly (Ben's assistant) and her ailing husband.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

TheWarmth wrote:Sherriff Truman's hilarious wooden paneled computer monitor.
My gosh, was that great. I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Everything about that was perfect. A loving ode to Old meets New.
Last edited by ro on Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Found it least satisfying or inventive since #1. Didn't really make it for me, r make me laugh.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Episode 8 was completely insane. That's the "pure heroin Lynch" that the network was hyping. Some of my friends loved it and a few hated it. I'm curious if anyone here has thoughts on these topics:

1. Is the girl at the end Sarah Palmer? That seems to be the most subscribed to theory out there. The timing lines up. I think it makes sense.
2. Does the bug that crawls into her mouth represent BOB? If so, that means that BOB inhabited Sarah before Leland.
3. I really don't know what to make of the charred Woodsman who kills the people at the radio station. Some have speculated that it's The Log Lady's husband, but that doesn't seem right to me. I always figured the Log Lady's husband would be a benevolent figure if he ever appeared.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I've enjoyed the last two episodes more than the earlier ones. I don't know if it's because they're getting better or if it's me getting more in tune with the Twin Peaks world.

I thought if the Dale from the black lodge died then the good Dale could return, but the dark spirit men revived him.

Still the rest of the show was mesmerizing.

With 10 episodes left it will be interesting to see where the show goes from here.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Brilliant, I've had to revisit this episode a few times. The atom bomb sequence and aftermath brings back memories of 2001 a space odyssey. Lots of dark stuff, and then the wonderful tall man scene with the music from (apparently) Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima.
For me , the best episode so far.
"Got a light ? !"
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Part 8 wasn't just the best episode yet of the new series, it's one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. Absolute brilliance.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

8 was great.

A lot of it I didn't get, had to head over to Reddit afterwards, but it made me appreciate again Lynch is a really wonderful storyteller. In and out of context of the rest of the series it was just an amazing piece of film making. It was more a surreal silent abstract than an episode of modern tv.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Another fantastic episode. Nice to see the plot moving fast now. Jerry Horne's scene was an instant classic. "I am not your foot." Loved that. The Briggs stuff was mind-blowing. This episode reminded me more of the original than any of the previous episodes. Not sure what to make of Sky Ferriera's character at the end, other than perhaps she's mixed up with Red, Chad and the drug ring.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I found that whole rash thing to be the grossest most & disturbing thing this side of Hannibal. Absolutely fuelled my paranoia about eating food other people have prepared. Thanks a lot twin peaks.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

TheWarmth wrote:This episode reminded me more of the original than any of the previous episodes.

I agree with that. I suppose after part 8 it was a good idea to return to the main events and get the plot moving along again. The scenes with Bobby and the message from his father were really great, and both the Twin Peaks police department and FBI now seem to have something solid to go on in the episodes coming up - while I've loved the series so far, I think a bit more focus is called for at this stage, and I think we got that here.

Halfway through the series now.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

BROKENHEART wrote:Brilliant, I've had to revisit this episode a few times. The atom bomb sequence and aftermath brings back memories of 2001 a space odyssey. Lots of dark stuff, and then the wonderful tall man scene with the music from (apparently) Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima.
It's weird how memory works sometimes - I'd heard Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima many years ago, maybe once or twice, and haven't had reason to give it thought since then. But as the mushroom cloud grew I started to wonder about the music, and as the camera dived into the explosion I was convinced that's what it was.

There's been much speculation around the latter parts of the episodes, but it's a more mundane question from early on that really bugs me: how did Ray get a gun?
Mr C is powerful, but he seems to have powerful enemies too...
TheWarmth wrote:Another fantastic episode. Nice to see the plot moving fast now. Jerry Horne's scene was an instant classic. "I am not your foot." Loved that. The Briggs stuff was mind-blowing. This episode reminded me more of the original than any of the previous episodes. Not sure what to make of Sky Ferriera's character at the end, other than perhaps she's mixed up with Red, Chad and the drug ring.
I loved that Jerry scene too. I'm starting to think there's quite a few Twin Peaks characters we've seen once and won't see again. Like these two girls yesterday, or Shelly's daughter and her bf. Just vignettes of the town.
Re: 'drug ring' - do we actually hear Richard Horne's name in the show or is it only in the credits?

The plot needed to progress indeed and we're starting to see all these plotlines converging towards the two Coopers. But while I'm glad it's progressing, I actually thought Hasting's story about Major Briggs was a bit heavy handed in this ep.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Oh, man, I thought that scene with Hastings and Tammy Preston was incredible! The actor ... his name escapes me ... did a wonderful job. Yeah, it was over the top, but imagine being in that character's shoes. His brain must be about to explode with all of the insanity going on in his life right now. Scuba diving! Mixed drinks on the beach! So funny and, yet, so sad and pathetic.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I may have been a bit harsh. It's just the conspiracy blog story and how conveniently they found coordinates for a portal etc. that was a bit underwhelming for me. The scene itself was great!
Have you seen the website? http://thesearchforthezone.com/
Probably more of a viral for the soundtrack than anything else, but a few hints there anyway.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Richard is an absolute shit but he would've redeemed himself slightly had he taken the jewellery box and smashed that goddamn toy.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was a little disappointed with episode 10. The plot didn't really move much and it didn't seem like we got very much new and interesting information. Nadine has a drape runner store. Richard is still an absolutely evil prick. Dougie now has the casino mobsters after him. I'm starting to think that Cooper isn't going to "wake up" until one of the last few episodes.

One key piece of information that I missed while watching: The photo of Mr. C and the man in the robe was taken in the room with the glass box. So, Mr. C has something to do with that.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I felt like part 10 was just picking up a lot of the threads that had been introduced earlier in the season, but left for a few episodes. This show is probably the least predictable thing on TV, but it seems to me that, now we're in the second half of the series, these are largely what we'll be moving forwards with.

Was Mr. C in the glass box, or just in the room? Maybe he set up the observation of it to monitor anything coming out of the lodge?

Really enjoyed Rebekah Del Rio at the end.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Mr. C was in the room with the glass box with another guy that looked like he was wearing a white robe or maybe a lab coat. Hard to tell. So, maybe Mr. C is the "billionaire" who financed the glass box and it was designed with the intent of trapping Cooper after he got out of the black lodge. That's one theory, at least. I'm sure we'll find out more.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Really enjoyed ep 11, had a dose of everything, even Lucy explaining what line Hawk was to use. Absolutely brilliant.
Was equal parts upsetting, disturbing, perplexing, funny, heart warming & left me wanting more despite finally enjoying the ending of an episode for the first time since episode 8.

Fuck Diane, Shelly & Red.

Before this episode i never could warm to Jim Belushi but his reading of "Cherry Pie!" just cracked me up. He killed it, and his little waltz back over to his brother after he finds the cheque.
I found the moments of levity most welcome in this episode - Gordon: "He's dead" :lol: - because I did find some of it's darker moments genuinely quite affecting: whatever's going on with Diane, & in particular the Briggs family stuff were quite upsetting. Great episode.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I enjoyed 11 much more than 10. So much going on, it's hard to keep track. Is someone trying to kill Bobby, Shelley and possibly Becky, too (shots fired into the RR)? If so, I'm guessing that has to do with the fact that they're all descendants/relatives of Major Briggs.

The Mitchum Brothers are great. I think they'll be Cooper's allies forward and we'll be seeing more of them.

Is Diane a doppelganger? I'm still uncertain as to what her deal is here, but she was obviously memorizing the coordinates on Ruth's arm (which may have been intentionally altered in the photo by Albert).

The scene with the woodsman sneaking into the car to kill Hastings was fantastic.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Last night's episode 13 was perfect. I loved everything about it. The scene at the "farm" was incredible. Nice to see Big Ed finally, even though he seems like he might not be in a great place in his life right now.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

However bad things look for Ed, they look a lot worse for Sarah Palmer. Her scenes have been pretty bleak so far.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Something/someone is in Sarah's house (and maybe inside her). When we find out what's up I think we're in for a pretty terrifying scene. The shot of the fan in the house was telling. Definitely bad news.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

TheWarmth wrote:Something/someone is in Sarah's house (and maybe inside her).

Well you were right there. I loved part 14, lots of information coming at us in that hour.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

It's definitely building up at more of a pace now. Ep 12 was some sort of breather - although it brought back Audrey, and set up the Sarah Palmer storyline, but otherwise the theme seemed to be repetition. Ep 13 got things moving again esp around the two Coops, and I couldn't believe I was wishing for Dr Amp to appear next during the Norma/Walter scene, and laughed as he did. Lovely scenes with Ed. James Hurley :lol: And hail to the magic healing powers of cherry pie :)

So much to take in the latest - Janey-E/Diane, the Blue Rose, Gordon's dream, more P. Jeffries. Jack Rabbits Palace & Andy and the Fireman. The woman. James's gloved co-worker. Sarah Palmer!! The Roadhouse conversation connecting to the Audrey storyline. Phew! I expect plenty more for #15, and #16 to feel a bit like a break (like 4,8,12 - but in what way?) before the two-part finale.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

mkb wrote:However bad things look for Ed, they look a lot worse for Sarah Palmer. Her scenes have been pretty bleak so far.
TheWarmth wrote:Something/someone is in Sarah's house (and maybe inside her). When we find out what's up I think we're in for a pretty terrifying scene. The shot of the fan in the house was telling. Definitely bad news.
mkb wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Something/someone is in Sarah's house (and maybe inside her).

Well you were right there. I loved part 14, lots of information coming at us in that hour.
Absolutely loved that Sarah Palmer reveal. I mean in the grand scheme of things it's quite sad and worrying but at the time I was like, wow hfs I gotta get on the spz forum! :wink: Those guys predicted something, if not quite that!

Yea a lot to take in in the latest. A friend of mine had to watch the last 3 episodes back to back & first question was "who is Billy?!"
Dunno how it's goin to work as an 18/19hour marathon. Kinda hoping/not hoping my local cinema dedicates a whole day to screening the show!
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Somebody managed to capture a screenshot of Sarah and Jumping Man's faces melded together from episode 15, which I completely missed from the Jumping Man segment. Pretty terrifying. I've attached it here. I don't know if the implication is that Jumping Man is inside of Sarah or that Lynch was simply trying to indicate that she's being inhabited by something/someone from the Black Lodge. I suspect we will see a lot more of Sarah in the last three episodes.

The relationship between Mr. C, Jeffries and Diane is still very confusing. Jeffries (now a fucking massive steaming/smoking teapot) says, "So you are Cooper." Does that mean he doesn't realize that it's actually Mr. C he's talking to and not the real Cooper? For awhile I was thinking Diane was texting with Jeffries, but now I'm back to thinking that it's actually Mr. C. We still don't know what the deal is with that.

The next three episodes are going to be epic. I can't wait.
Attachments
Jumping Sarah.jpg
Jumping Sarah.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 37394 times
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

About to have my first coffee since yesterday morning. Am in full Dougie excited mode.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I am the FBI.

Lots of happiness in this episode. Gives me a sense of unease.

Naomi Watts has been terrific in this show.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Another mind-blowing episode. Probably the best of the season so far. It was pretty much everything I wanted out of the new TP season in one episode. I'm hoping that we get answers to the following next week:

Who is Naido? Is she the real Diane? That doesn't seem right to me.
Who is Judy?
Who is Billy? Does he even exist?
What's Audrey's deal? Mental institution? Is she a tulpa, too?
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I was thinking at least Audrey was in a coma the past few episodes but the revelation in 16 I thought was maybe the white lodge? A mental institution would fit too.

The Diane reveal was welcome.

I hope good wins out. Not a draw or Evil Coop triumphing. How about the juxtaposition of how Evil Coop treated his son with how Coop was with Sonny Jim?
Wonderful episode.

"People are under a lot of stress."
That exchange was reminiscent of Cole/Albert.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Another great episode (16) .From the great scene with Diane at the Black lodge, wonderful performance from Laura Dern throughout.
Just when you think!!
Random killing of Chantal and Mitch and then Audreys dance at the Roadhouse interrupted by a fight , then ending up in a white room.
Welcome back Coop ! .
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Hope you guys enjoy tonight.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

You've gone soft in your old age.

Not where it counts, buddy.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

What an incredible series that was. I think Cooper made a mistake trying to save Laura.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

mkb wrote:What an incredible series that was. I think Cooper made a mistake trying to save Laura.
Yeah, I think I agree with you. I certainly wasn't expecting that. I've read a lot of negative things about episode 18, but IMO Lynch gave us as much of a "wrap up" episode as we could have hoped for with 17. 18 was the ending Lynch/Frost really wanted and I think it was pretty great. I've read a lot of seriously negative opinions online, but I guess you'll have that with any kind of art these days. The last 10 seconds were absolutely chilling and the fact that there are countless theories already floating around is great. You can interpret it however you'd like.

One of the minor theories I subscribe to is that Sarah Palmer (and whatever was inside of her - Judy?) attempted to destroy the framed photo of Laura because she was so frustrated with Cooper rewriting history and "saving" her. However, not that she was not able to actually do any damage to the photo itself. Very interesting.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

With the quickened pace & resolutions of 17 I thought 18 would be more esoteric. Once the superimposed face of Coop came on I knew the confusing ride wasn't over. I wasn't wrong.

Initially I was left perplexed and bewildered, tho one of my first thoughts was that Coop had altered reality, & rewritten history as TW says. This is one explanation I took comfort in yesterday. I also think there's a case to be made that he & Cassie/Laura are in an alternative reality or timeline, or indeed that they're in a dream. Go figure, huh?

I agree the tragedy lies in Coop trying to save Laura but also he is the hero so what other option did he have? I think it was predestined by The Fireman, Jeffries and/or Coop that he would undertake the mission after BOB & Evil Coop were defeated. It's just they didn't foresee the consequences, or at least Coop didn't. For all it's & Lynchs unorthodoxies there remains the fact Coop is a tragic hero archetype & his journey somehow makes sense in that context. If he had found resolution and peace perhaps it would have rang hollow.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it. I dunno. It increasingly feels like a rewarding conclusion. At least until I see & understand a clear explanation of what happened.
Or at least until season 4..

Wouldn't have minded seeing more of Michael Cera's Wally tho, if I'm allowed a bit of dissension.

& yes, to echo mkb again, a great series. Hopefully it's ambition and respect for the medium & viewers has an impact on tv over the coming years. We could do with more shows as brave as this.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's a fantastic, meticulous synopsis.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... pisode_18/

I really like this take, as it avoids the suggestions that it was all someone's dream or a certain portion of the show was just a dream. I totally disagree with those theories. Remember that Cooper says to the others in Sheriff Truman's office, "some things will be different." He knew the was going to alter reality, but I don't believe that it negates everything that came beforehand. The world of TP is not simply gone.

I can't wait for The Final Dossier book (October 31, 2017).