RSD rumour...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

mc
Known user

Re: RSD rumour...

Post by mc »

runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

What a shitshow. I'll make it a point to never buy another product associated with this Palmer twat. I was forced to buy a Space Age CD release of Recurring because I broke (?!) my original Fire copy. The different track listing has always bothered me... For some reason I believed that Pete was behind the label - don't know where I got that impression (here?).
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

This just gets weirder and weirder. why would Jason and Peter take down the statement- the only reason I can think of, is that they can't really say anything official until the case goes to court?

and if the allegations are true how can Gerald Palmer keep spouting such lies?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I would be looking for some sort of proof that he has the rights to the Spacemen 3 back catalogue "for life" as he so claims.

If its been a case of bad decisions by the band back in the day and they have signed away their material "for life" then that should be easy enough to prove, however, i HATE the idea that this prick thinks he IS Spacemen 3. Its wrong on so many levels. If he is unable to provide proof then i think the band taking him to court is perfectly valid and justifiable.

Its not about the reissues being illigitimate, but about them being sub-standard, poor quality cash ins. £80 for three 12"s for last years RSD? Nah... doesn't sound like a cash in at all! Disgraceful behaviour.
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Pete Bassman's web page carries a recent apology which seems to be for slagging off Palmer. It may be that he throws out libel writ threats, and J and Sonic may have had one - easier to back down on their statement than try to fight that as well?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Reading between the lines it's possible that Sonic & Jason may have taken legal advice that public slagging would weaken their case.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runaway wrote:What a shitshow. I'll make it a point to never buy another product associated with this Palmer twat. I was forced to buy a Space Age CD release of Recurring because I broke (?!) my original Fire copy. The different track listing has always bothered me... For some reason I believed that Pete was behind the label - don't know where I got that impression (here?).
I'm embarrassed to ask (as I normally have an unhealthily long and geekish memory for such trivia) but what are the differences in tracklisting, between the original(s) and Space Age CD versions of Recurring?

I'm in the middle of a traumatic decorating process. Just when I thought it couldn't be worse than having my collection of music, my composing materials, all my instruments, and various analogue and digital recording devices - all spread across various places: I've been forced to quickly consolidate everything I own in one place, and hurriedly put it all into short-term storage!

Hence I don't have my own copy of the CD to hand, but I don't recall there being a difference between that album's tracklisting, and the various CDs and vinyl pressings owned by friends with more comprehensive Spacemen 3 collections.

My own Spacemen 3 collection is a mix of new Space Age CDs (mostly bought from PK) and knackered cheap 2nd hand eBay bargains. Apart from the obvious improvements provided by all the hard work done to produce Forged Prescriptions, I've never noticed any sonic differences between the Space Age products and the much older CDs. Obviously the latter observation doesn't apply to releases outside of the original Spacemen 3 body of work, such as some dubious live recordings that didn't impress me.

In terms of Palmer and legal issues, he seems to have the upper hand right now. If you read the full transcripts from the Enid bloke's legal action, it's obvious Palmer has an in-house lawyer who appears to be part of that ill-gotten media empire (some enterprising folks could investigate their relationship further, if willing to delve into any available public records relating to Palmer's various companies, tax returns, copyrights, etc). Unfortunately it looks like Palmer will always have the advantage, as long as he doesn't have to pay the exorbitant rates charged by external legal counsel.

I'm guessing the value of the rightful mechanical royalties due to various ex-Spacemen, would not necessarily produce enough revenue to fund the potentially costly legal action I suspect we here were all anticipating - following the unprecedented joint statement from PK and JP, now retracted.

Unless any such statements potentially contravene civil or criminal law, they should not impact on the validity and strength of any potential legal action. Unfortunately as the transcripts from the Enid case show - the law can indeed be an ass, even when you've got the Judge on your side :cry:
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

an interesting read on the current state of affairs

https://thefutureheart.com/2017/05/04/p ... n-reunite/

i'm thinking, err hoping a reunion might be on the cards to pay for the legal costs to settle this. didn't J. say he was offered something crazy like 2-3 million to reform?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I don't think there can be a reunion so long as the current situation persists. Palmer's "ownership" of songs, merch rights, etc would totally scupper that; the nightmare scenario is that a reunion happens and all of the proceeds go to Palmer rather than to the band. Seems that whatever may or may not happen in the future, the Palmer situation needs to be resolved first.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mh wrote:I don't think there can be a reunion so long as the current situation persists. Palmer's "ownership" of songs, merch rights, etc would totally scupper that; the nightmare scenario is that a reunion happens and all of the proceeds go to Palmer rather than to the band. Seems that whatever may or may not happen in the future, the Palmer situation needs to be resolved first.
When considering the prospect of a genuine Spacemen 3 reunion, I think Gerald Palmer would be the last concern of any importance, that comes to mind...

I would be very puzzled as to why such a coherent collection of artists, chose to so badly pollute their legacy, via this kind of cheap stunt.

Do other fans seriously think any kind of "reunion" is something to be happy about?

I was never lucky enough to see Spacemen 3 when they existed as a band. I wouldn't want to see some forced vague echo of a once-proud musical legacy turned into bullshit - would you?
Last edited by mojo filters on Sat May 06, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

why not? some reunions have been great, Stooges, SUICIDE, Love, Brain Wilson and the Beach Boys, The Specials, The Mary Chain, Slowdive, Ride, Stone Roses, MBV to name but a few. I don't think any of these bands have polluted their musical history. i think it opens the doors for generations that didn't have the opportunity, it also creates influence/inspiration on the younger generation of bands.

I've given up being a musical purist in the sense of musical purity, i get you, i was originally against J. playing LAGWAFIS in it's entirety until i eventually caved in and went and saw an absolutely amazing performance of an album that i have held dear since the day it was released. i respect any band that is still actively touring and releasing music no what matter it takes to secure the funding. i know first hand the industry is a bitch.

also as i stated if it sorts out the funding to proceed with legal action to resolve the issues with the label then yeah i'm all for it. absolutely count me in.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I really want a new Spectrum and Spiritualized LP. I'm very ambivalent about a reunion, but getting control of the back catalogue and sorting out a proper programme of reissues would be a good thing.

I was also very pleased to see news of an Alphastone reissue programme 8) and the promise of new material and a Darkside boxset :shock:. The Alphastone stuff is uniformly brilliant.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Why not a reunion?
For every fan who doesn't want to see I would bet there are 100 that would.
I dont tend to go see reunion shows but as Shonn mentioned, The Stooges here in Detroit in 2003 is burned in my memory.
I did blow off Ride, Slowdive, MBV because I saw them plenty the first time around.
Jason, Pete, Pete, Will etc have continued to either make music or still play live so I would totally be up for a reunion.
Oddly I am thinking of going to the UK to see some House Of Loves shows that totally blow my theory. :roll:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

mojo filters wrote:
runaway wrote:
I'm embarrassed to ask (as I normally have an unhealthily long and geekish memory for such trivia) but what are the differences in tracklisting, between the original(s) and Space Age CD versions of Recurring?
I can't confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the Spaceage CD is the same as the 15-track original Fire CD (which is of course different to the original & reissued vinyl, but whatever). It does have a slightly different cover, though. Someone with more knowledge than me should confirm this...
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

mojo filters wrote:
I can't confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the Spaceage CD is the same as the 15-track original Fire CD (which is of course different to the original & reissued vinyl, but whatever). It does have a slightly different cover, though. Someone with more knowledge than me should confirm this...

Reunion-wise? It's up to them. If J & Sonic reform Spacemen 3 and play together again, I'll move heaven and earth to see them. If they don't, I'll respect that decision forever.

(A more varied setlist would be good if they did reform. Revolution twice a night is not required :wink: )
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I have an open mind towards band reunions and comebacks. Sometimes they're crap. Sometimes they're not.

Leonard Cohen only started touring again LITERALLY because of money (having been swindled by his manager) yet the live shows were met with ecstatic reviews.

just imagine how good a Spacemen reunion setlist would be
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

angelsighs wrote:just imagine how good a Spacemen reunion setlist would be
Sorry, but i don't share this positive imagination. Sonic and Jason both have after SP3 split performed live their "own" songs, Jason has played over the years his own created songs with Spiritualized and both of them performed same songs while still doing Spacemen 3. Same drill all over again? Please, no.
And i'm sure there will be some dreadful people who are too drunk or taken some substances and then think the best thing is to yell between the songs: "Play again Revolution. Revolution, revolution, revolution, AGAIN!" That sucks.
But more ambitious ideas would be fun indeed, like let them recreate something in the vein of "Dreamweapon" or do one hour version of "Suicide", Jason certainly can pull out some wicked guitar slashing for that event.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

olan wrote:I was also very pleased to see news of an Alphastone reissue programme 8) and the promise of new material and a Darkside boxset :shock:. The Alphastone stuff is uniformly brilliant.
Yeah, this pleased me no end too as i think their output is pretty great, especially The Darkside, and is often overlooked when it comes to the SP3 offshoot.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

veiko wrote:
angelsighs wrote:just imagine how good a Spacemen reunion setlist would be
Sorry, but i don't share this positive imagination. Sonic and Jason both have after SP3 split performed live their "own" songs, Jason has played over the years his own created songs with Spiritualized and both of them performed same songs while still doing Spacemen 3. Same drill all over again? Please, no.
And i'm sure there will be some dreadful people who are too drunk or taken some substances and then think the best thing is to yell between the songs: "Play again Revolution. Revolution, revolution, revolution, AGAIN!" That sucks.
But more ambitious ideas would be fun indeed, like let them recreate something in the vein of "Dreamweapon" or do one hour version of "Suicide", Jason certainly can pull out some wicked guitar slashing for that event.
There's still loads of Spacemen songs that haven't been aired in the live arena for many a year. Jason and Sonic have tended to stick to a limited pool. plus there's just the chemistry of having them back and I think it will sound different to either Spiritualized or Spectrum versions.

that said I like your idea of them doing an arty drone piece as a comeback.

I reckon this is all moot anyway as I don't think it's gonna happen.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Well, remember when J said he would "never" do a full-album show?

I'm not overly optimistic, but I don't think it's off the table.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Mixed feelings about it really, should it become a possibility. Their falling out was so public and so total, and their sniping at each other has continued over the years, although Pete has seemed more open to reconciliation than Jason. Not sure how a reunion would feel unless they genuinely started getting on again. Just trotting out the "hits" for financial reasons would be a bit depressing. Couldn't blame them for it, and of course I'd move heaven and earth to go, like :lol:

Just wondering who would even be in the line-up, seeing as Will has retired from music due to his tinnitus and Natty is no longer with us?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

natty wrote: Just wondering who would even be in the line-up, seeing as Will has retired from music due to his tinnitus and Natty is no longer with us?
I think Pete B and Rosco would be the most obvious choices, but that again might be canyons that can't be bridged. Sonic's touring band could step in to provide the backing too as they'll know a few songs well by now.

Don't see it happening myself.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Laz69 wrote:
natty wrote: Just wondering who would even be in the line-up, seeing as Will has retired from music due to his tinnitus and Natty is no longer with us?
I think Pete B and Rosco would be the most obvious choices, but that again might be canyons that can't be bridged. Sonic's touring band could step in to provide the backing too as they'll know a few songs well by now.

Don't see it happening myself.
Would've thought Jonny was more likely to fill the drum stool than Rosco, he played at the Natty's benefit gig. Can't see him doing it without Will though.

Can't actually see it happening at all tbh.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I know that stranger things have happened (not to mention reunions I thought were just as unlikely) but it's never gonna happen.
not sure who would fill the bass and drum stool positions and although I'd love some of the right people there, unfortunately to 90% of people Spacemen 3 is just Jason and Peter.

The Replacements managed to reform with just Paul and Tommy and did okay!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Jason was quite clear that it is not going to happen in the interview in The Quietus. Even if he was keen, I can't see the point until they sever all ties with Gerald Palmer. That isn't going to happen soon if there are multi-million pound opportunities out there. Once Palmer is off the scene, then a remaster and reissue program might be a viable mechanism to generate sufficient ££ and interest to get them talking, but I can't ever see them playing again.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah the whole legal situation pretty much puts the kibosh on it doesn't it

My kingdom for a remastered Perfect Prescription and a Spacemen 3 t shirt where I know the cash is going to the right people
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote:Yeah the whole legal situation pretty much puts the kibosh on it doesn't it

My kingdom for a remastered Perfect Prescription and a Spacemen 3 t shirt where I know the cash is going to the right people
Over a decade ago, when I asked Pete if there might be remasters including Perfect Prescription, he indicated he regarded Forged Prescriptions as the remaster of Perfect Prescription.

If given the choice between regular remasters or the Forged Prescriptions treatment for the other albums, I'd take the latter option every time.

I'd be especially interested in Sound Of Confusion getting a full reworking - just to see if they could turn those recordings into an album I would enjoy listening to. I can't see a straightforward remaster doing much to interest me, allowing me to enjoy listening to that as I can with the other three albums.

It would be nice to be able to supplement my existing t-shirts, with something similar that I wouldn't worry about spoiling via cigarette burns, washing and ironing mishaps, and so forth!

I think regardless of the Palmer situation, this idea of a reunion has been thoroughly dismissed by enough of the folks who matter, and is not even worth any further speculation.
Dave Chappelle
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

During my break from this board I often wondered if the phrase "two sides to every story" might have been brought into the discussion.
Heavy Tourism
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

https://petespacemanbassman.wordpress.c ... r-special/

New blog up from Pete Bain saying more reissues on the way. Not cool.