What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

niamhm
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by niamhm »

Moon Duo @ Glasgow Stereo,
Great show, so glad I made the effort, only managed to get a ticket on the afternoon of the show from a bloke on Twitter and had to drive through as I was `on call` so it was a dry night, one pint of lager shandy, but nothing could put a dampner on the night, played for 75 min roughly and did most of the most recent album and a few from the previous two, nothing earlier than that I think and finished with a cover of No Fun which set of a mosh pit!! As Flokie an Mark said, White Rose was a monster extended workout, they pulled a similar trick a few other times very hypnotic, worked great between some of the shorter numbers, Ripley is just great to watch, Sanae makes an awesome variety of sounds from her electronics and the drummer, well he`s like a machine, so much better as a three piece I think.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Academy, Dublin.
Smallest venue i've ever seen them in so it already had an advantage. Glad that it was long sold out too.
Continuation of the good form they showed in Glasgow with the added bonus of Cherry Came Too :shock: Reverence was further extended and particularly violent and menacing. In Glasgow I was a little under the influence but here I was stone cold straight and sober and they were possibly even better. They're as tight as the Mary Chain will ever get, the noise and volume is there and they seem to be enjoying it (I'm sure I saw Jim and William smiling at each other at one point :D ). Wish i'd grabbed a ticket for Belfast the night after. Definitely their best Irish appearance since 1989!
The audience was a mix of young and old and it was nice to hear people singing along to the new material (well, sort of nice. Y'know what I mean). The return for an encore brought about prolonged applause which prompted Jim to quip "Stop, you're making me smile" :lol: My only quibble would be that I'd actually like to hear more Damage and Joy songs instead of the hits.

Found out earlier that they're playing 'intimate' venues in Holmfirth, Hull and Reading in July. I would urge anyone to try and see them at those gigs, or anywhere for that matter, 'cos you may never see them playing this well again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Holmfirth canceled pretty much as soon as announced. Would like to make it to Hull but trains are a shite.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Magpie Salute at Under the Bridge,, Fulham, London.

Ex-Black Crowes Rich Robinson new project & their UK debut. Man they blew the fucking roof off. A 10 piece line up (3 guitars, bass, keys, drums, lead vocalist + 3 backing singers) played loads of Crowes classics, various solo stuff & lots of great cover versions. 2 more ex Crowes - Sven Pipien on bass & Marc Ford on guitar - added pedigree and quality. It's years since I have seen Marc play but last night his performance & delivery were nothing short of spectacular. His solo in Sometimes Salvation was so brutal, so crunching it brought the house down & he got the biggest cheer of the night at the end. What a player the man is. Amidst the slabs of heavy southern guitar rock appeared a sublime cover of Pat Kelly's ‘How Long’. Hearing reggae played so authentically in that environment was a tad surprising, but then these guys are seriously good musicians so little seemed beyond them.

Highlights were endless. Crowes favourites My Morning Song, Nonfiction, Thorn In My Pride, Jealous Again, Sting Me, Under A Mountain, Halfway To Everywhere… Dave Mason's Only You And I Know, Zeppelin’s Your Time Is Gonna Come.

Singer John Hogg was superb & nailed all the Chris Robinson vocals he took on - Sometimes Salvation was an ambitious undertaking but he showed what a great vocalist he is. As were the 3 backing ladies who all had a turn on lead vocals. But everyone was fantastic & essential to the overall sound - lots of grins between the band members & a terrific vibe in the place.

For myself & Mrs Runcible it was a triumph, & worth the trip to London, which I hated even more than I did before. Christ what a city - how I lived there for so long is beyond me! Despite that the venue was excellent - sold out but very comfortable & uncrowded.

Quite a night. 10 musicians, 21 songs, 2 ½ hours. And TWO incredible gigs in under a week. Brilliant.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

New Candys at the Hope and Ruin Brighton . Really like this venue, probably half the capacity of The Haunt nearby, and easier to move around the venue upstairs . No heaving crowd , but enough to make it a great evening for all .
Vinyl Staircase kicked the evening off with some psych jangling guitars which sounded really good for a band looking so young.
Next on stage were Is Bliss, who recently supported The JAMC at a recent Bournemouth gig . Lots of influences coming through from there set , MBV ,The Verve , Slowdive , Spacemen 3 and lots more , even some sitar sounding guitar . Another great set from an up and coming band looking destined for good times.
Finally New Candys finish the evening off, after a late arrival and rushed tune up. Fuzz,surf,rock,drone and everything else you need from this four piece formed in Italy. I just love their surf, Cramps style guitars . A really fine end to a great evening of psych music, and all for a fiver. Can't be bad .
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

niamhm wrote:Moon Duo @ Glasgow Stereo,
Great show, so glad I made the effort, only managed to get a ticket on the afternoon of the show from a bloke on Twitter and had to drive through as I was `on call` so it was a dry night, one pint of lager shandy, but nothing could put a dampner on the night, played for 75 min roughly and did most of the most recent album and a few from the previous two, nothing earlier than that I think and finished with a cover of No Fun which set of a mosh pit!! As Flokie an Mark said, White Rose was a monster extended workout, they pulled a similar trick a few other times very hypnotic, worked great between some of the shorter numbers, Ripley is just great to watch, Sanae makes an awesome variety of sounds from her electronics and the drummer, well he`s like a machine, so much better as a three piece I think.
Saw them in Oslo a few weeks back. Very hypnotic and beautiful.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

PJ Harvey at the Royal Oak Music Theater.
I had never seen PJ Harvey and was blown away. Such professional musicians she surrounds herself with. Just the perfect amount of soul and drama without going overboard. I rarely pay a lot to see bands but this $55 was worth every penny and more.
Loved hearing 50 Ft Queenie. Bummed there was no Written On The Forehead but still. What a show!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Spectres last night at the Hare & Hounds, Birmingham

Been wanting to catch these for a little while. wouldn't say I was a huge fan (enjoyed the first album, haven't yet bothered with the second) but I like what they do, and I think noisy and loud music is great in the live environment.

There can't have been more than 30 or 40 people there, luckily it didn't feel too sparse as they cut the room in half with a big curtain.

There were 3 (!) support bands of which I caught two- Simple Eyes- (fairly noisy guitar and bass duo over beats) and Mutes (clumsy mixture of grunge and shoegaze)

Spectres were basically what I expected- nice and noisy with some huge fuzzy moments when they step on the pedals. the sound quality of the PA was excellent meaning there was still some clarity there. they seem to have cribbed a lot of their sound from early Sonic Youth, No Wave stuff- alternate tunings, abrasive riffs bending the songs into weird shapes.

enjoyable set but an hour was enough as they are basically a one trick pony. and although they were noisy, they weren't really especially loud. my ears weren't ringing afterwards (although I accept that this could be because my ears are already done in!)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Seeing Spectres for the third time in Brighton on Friday night, more because my friends are fans than me. They're always enjoyable/noisy but, like you say, bit samey after a while.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Shinesalight wrote:Seeing Spectres for the third time in Brighton on Friday night, more because my friends are fans than me. They're always enjoyable/noisy but, like you say, bit samey after a while.
yeah they do one thing but they do it well. Although I am glad I saw them and enjoyed it, I'd now put them in the category of bands I'd happily see again but wouldn't go out of my way to do so.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Thor & Friends at the Hug&Pint.
I went on a bit of a whim - I'm not into Swans and heard of Thor Harris through some bands I follow on Twitter (and yes, the 'how to punch a nazi' vine only made him more endearing!).
Definitely nothing like Swans either - the centre piece instrument on stage last night was a marimba, with as many as three of them playing it together at times, and a total of 8 mallets as Thor would sometimes have 2 in each hand. Some of it reminded me of Steve Reich's Counterpoints. I'd definitely recommend to anyone who likes modern minimalist music! It was all rather beautiful and hypnotic and uplifting, and the focus and precision of these guys was incredible.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Slowdive : The Vic Theater : Chicago

This was the third time I've seen them since the reunion. So far they haven't disappointed. What a great band, man. They strike a perfect balance between delicate beauty and sonic noise. No complaints at all. They did four songs from the new album: the two singles, "Slowmo" and "No Longer Making Time." The full band version of "Crazy For You" is tremendous. Rachel and Neil's vocals are always spot-on. I'm sure they'll be doing a full U.S. tour after the album comes out, so I will see them again. Recommended.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

Went to see the Jesus & Mary Chain at the Vic last night. It was a shame it had to be moved to a smaller venue as they did the 'Psychocandy' show at the Riviera (which was where they were supposed to play this time out too) and the sound there was way better. The Vic can occasionally have some very muddy sound.

It was great to hear them play a mix of old songs and the songs from 'Damage and Joy' all sounded really good live. It all fit together nicely. This was only the second time I've seen them so it was fun to hear some of my favorites of theirs live at last- 'Teenage Lust,' 'Far Gone and Out,' 'Nine Million Rainy Days,' 'Blues from a Gun' and 'Halfway to Crazy' as well as a few from last time.
TheWarmth wrote:Slowdive : The Vic Theater : Chicago

This was the third time I've seen them since the reunion. So far they haven't disappointed. What a great band, man. They strike a perfect balance between delicate beauty and sonic noise. No complaints at all. They did four songs from the new album: the two singles, "Slowmo" and "No Longer Making Time." The full band version of "Crazy For You" is tremendous. Rachel and Neil's vocals are always spot-on. I'm sure they'll be doing a full U.S. tour after the album comes out, so I will see them again. Recommended.
I wasn't able to get tickets to this before it sold out (which was surprisingly fast)- glad to hear it was good and you got to go, though! I love the new songs and they did a short live set that was broadcast live on Pitchfork where they sounded very sharp. I'm hoping they come back through so I can catch them.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kikagaku Moyo & Doug Tuttle
May 11
Marble Bar
Detroit

This became a double bill by one venue booking Doug Tuttle and forgetting about it then booking another band the same night.
Admittedly I had never heard of Doug Tuttle but a friend of mine assured me I would like him. I did. At times Byrdsy, at time Rain Parade-ish and an absolute psych freak out stormer to end his set.
Kikagaku Moyo I had only heard of from this forum. They were a joy to watch. So many band members on a small stage. No idea the names of any of their songs but each one built up beautifully and then some exploded and some just floated there. It was a great blend of spaciness and psych freak outs.
Hats off to a great crowd as well. Really enthusiastic.
Bought the new Kikagaku Moyo LP on the way out. Cant wait to pop it on.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Desert Mountain Tribe @ Glasgow, Nice n Sleazy,

Third time I`ve seen these guys since last Sept, and they just seem better every time, their anthemic take on psychedelic rock is very accomplished, emphasis on songs rather than jamming. Set still leaning heavily on last yrs Either That Or The Moon album, one new track Hitzefrei, a tribute to the Jahn brothers home town of Koln was a particular stand out also the mighty Interstellar wrapping things up, big thumbs up to the Guinness in Sleazy`s as well, very nice,
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Follakzoid-Soup Kitchen(Manchester) last Thursday

I think the consensus here is they have become a bit dull, 3rd time seeing them, easily the most bored I have been at a gig for a while. 3 songs, 1 hr and I was clock watching. Didnt' even stay for Beak who were late secret additions utilising the show as a festival warm up after a 6music session.
First time i saw Follakzoid I was loving it, second time equally so, a bridge too far for me this show. Change the record lads
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Follakzoid-Soup Kitchen(Manchester) last Thursday

I think the consensus here is they have become a bit dull, 3rd time seeing them, easily the most bored I have been at a gig for a while. 3 songs, 1 hr and I was clock watching. Didnt' even stay for Beak who were late secret additions utilising the show as a festival warm up after a 6music session.
First time i saw Follakzoid I was loving it, second time equally so, a bridge too far for me this show. Change the record lads
oh my, I had the EXACT same experience last night! Both times before I've seen them, I found it superb but here I was finding it more of the same and I was getting bored. Probably not their fault as such, but unless they have a change of direction I won't go out of my way to see them again

My mood wasn't helped my the morons in front of me talking through pretty much the whole gig. They didn't even clap at the end, just more chatting. And one of them had a man bun. Get in the sea.

Weirdly the merch desk had tote bags and t shirts for sale with the sleeve art for the Spaceman collaboration on it. Thought that was a bit strange.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

White Hills at The Hope and Ruin Brighton. Great gig with memories of early Hawkwind. Very small crowd , which was a bit disappointing .Lots of space rock. Overshadowed by the terrible atrocity happening 260 miles away in Manchester. R.I.P.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BROKENHEART wrote:White Hills at The Hope and Ruin Brighton. Great gig with memories of early Hawkwind. Very small crowd , which was a bit disappointing .Lots of space rock. Overshadowed by the terrible atrocity happening 260 miles away in Manchester. R.I.P.
I was hoping to come along to this but I've got Cosmic Dead this Thursday and my body struggles with 2 gigs a week these days :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Went to see Kraftwerk 2 days ago for the Computerworld in 3D concert. 30 minutes of Computerworld and 90 minutes greatest hits set. You know what is coming to you, still, it"s pretty mindblowing.
"Thank you"
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Shinesalight wrote: I was hoping to come along to this but I've got Cosmic Dead this Thursday and my body struggles with 2 gigs a week these days :roll:
Try two week nights in a row... Not used to this anymore, and I think I still have some sleep to catch up on.

Besnard Lakes on Wed.at the Hug and Pint - last minute decision when I heard they were playing two sets and two hours. I'd been a bit disappointed last time I'd seen them live (years ago now), and as much as I love Dark Horse and Roaring Night, the last two albums didn't do much for me. No Dark Horse set as I think they did for some other gigs, but I think they played all songs off it anyway, and quite a few from Roaring Night. The sound was a bit messy at the start but got better, and I'm glad I made the effort.

White Hills on Thu at Sleazys. Very small crowd here too. Not a band whose records I know very well, but I always enjoy seeing them live and this was no exception. New material seems more angry, which is no bad thing in the current political climate.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

angelsighs wrote:
oh my, I had the EXACT same experience last night! Both times before I've seen them, I found it superb but here I was finding it more of the same and I was getting bored. Probably not their fault as such, but unless they have a change of direction I won't go out of my way to see them again
I wish I could comment, but if I'm not mistaken they've only ever played once in Glasgow, and that was just before ATP 2013. So I haven't reached peak Follakzoid live yet, considering I haven't seen them since.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

flokie wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
I wish I could comment, but if I'm not mistaken they've only ever played once in Glasgow, and that was just before ATP 2013. So I haven't reached peak Follakzoid live yet, considering I haven't seen them since.
Like Flokie says. I can`t remember Follakzoid evr being here so no chance of being that bored yet. Also like Flokie, White Hills, last week at Glasgow ,Nice and Sleazy. got to admire the dedication of this lot, slight left turn musically into post/punk type goth mixed with the psych -the new stuff,early doors- with heavy spacerock joined on the end, it still works, White Hills are still a great live act, you got to admire there dedication as well, new drummer put through an extremely punishing hour, prepping a new album, Dave seems as serious as f#ck on new tracks, its got me wondering how being in Manchester yesterday would affect them,strange days. Saw them last yr, same venue, maybe 100 folks on a weekend, this time maybe 30/40 midweek ? Some nice merch mind, cool Hendrix/ White Hills t/shirt and tour only cdr and band couldn`t be friendlier.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

It was better than I expected. The atmosphere was a bit weird as it was a warm sunny evening which is almost the polar opposite of what I would think ideal for a performance of VU's material. I don't go to big open air gigs as a rule. The last one was a Morrissey gig in Hyde Park years ago. Seeing VIP/Corporate drinking areas and pop-up wine bars with cheese platters available was a bit odd. The site is weird too, it looks a bit like a cross between a venue for a car boot sale and the aftermath of a visit by the Luftwaffe. :shock:

As for the show, there were some low points which verged on being cringeworthy, but in general it was OK. I preferred the tunes where he plays viola (Black Angel's Death Song was great) and the string section sawed along. There were a few tunes that had been heavily reworked with electronic backing tracks. Run, run, run had a particularly good rhythm track. Sister Ray was a glorious mess, which is unsurprising as that is basically what you expect. Proper gig though, no talking to the crowd apart from a 'Hello Liverpool" and a "Thank You" after Sister Ray. No encore either, which I heartily approve of.

Some of the guest musicians were shite though. I've no real idea who was who, other than the bloke from Fat White Family was a pain in the arse. I took time to find out who he was so I can actively avoid him in future.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

olan wrote: Some of the guest musicians were shite though. I've no real idea who was who, other than the bloke from Fat White Family was a pain in the arse. I took time to find out who he was so I can actively avoid him in future.
:lol:
Going back to that White Hills gig, I caught the end of 2nd support act, Gurlsweat. Just one man. Intense. Very noisy. I was thinking I'm glad I've seen him as it was certainly interesting, and also glad that now I've seen him I won't need to again!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

olan wrote: Some of the guest musicians were shite though. I've no real idea who was who, other than the bloke from Fat White Family was a pain in the arse. I took time to find out who he was so I can actively avoid him in future.

[/quote]

It seems I am not the only one that thought he was a bit shite :roll: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... -john-cale

:lol:
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

John Cale - Velvet Underground & Nico.

I wasn't impressed at all.....best review I read compared the sound to being like it was played in a bin bag, the venue being like a party in a refugee camp with all the dust blowing about and the queues for fluids.

I did have a good day out in the sun visiting a few pubs I hadn't visited in a while.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Swans last week.
good but not amazing. was glad to catch them as apparently this is the last tour with these musicians (although they keep adding new dates!), but to be honest I can kind of see why they are drawing it to a close. I'm not sure what else they can do with this configuration of Swans. It would be unfair to use the phrase 'going through the motions' but as they were grinding away it was almost like they were searching for fresh angles on this music and failing. For such an experimental band they've basically got one sound in the live arena (the records are actually much more varied, with lots of different textures and even some quiet tunes!)

unfortunately I missed the start of the set as the band came on at 8pm and proceeded to play for 2.5 hrs! this band certainly don't do things by halves.

I miss Thor too- all the weird stuff he was doing really added interesting textures to the sound, they've replaced him with a keyboard player.

and yep, as could be expected they were rather loud, although not as loud as the last time I saw them. could only really feel it when right at the front (I moved around a bit). happy to accept my ears might already be done in though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Swans last night in the Button Factory, Dublin.

Unlike 'Sighs I thought they were absolutely superb. Truly epic; long, loud, hypnotic, mesmerising and punishing. Yes, I did miss Thor also but I reckon this was the best i'd seen them as well as the loudest. I was seven rows back and dead centre and could feel it in my head, chest and stomach. At one point it felt like my ears were wiggling :shock:

Have a listen to their current live album 'Deliquescence' for a taste as its the same set.

I would definitely recommend go seeing them before this incarnation is disbanded.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I know you like your music on the louder end of the spectrum so glad you found that the set hit the right spot :)
for me it was good, but just didn't have that impact like when I first saw them. also there were moments where my attention wandered (but that's to be expected over 2 and a half hours)

yeah I got 'Deliquescence' too looking forward to giving that a play.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cosmic Dead last week in Brighton. Absolutely cracking gig. Band nearly didn't make it as they had only arrived in Dover from their Euro tour an hour or so before their set was due to start. I've seen theses guys 3 or 4 times now and they never disappoint and they have always thrown their all in to the performance. Small venue but completely full which is what I like and the crowd were really up for it. For me, these are one of THE bands of the modern psych movement and I opted for seeing these over White Hills who played a couple of days before. And I love White Hills. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Michael Head at Liverpool O2 Academy, NHS benefit show.

We got there fairly late and caught the 2nd half of Coral frontman James Skelly's support set. I have to say he was really excellent and towards the end the crowd got more and more enthusiastic, so by the time he played the classic 'Dreaming Of You' the place was going nuts, with everyone singing along. It was amazing and I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle.

Mick Head played a pretty short 45 minute set due to the somewhat crowded list of bands on the bill. But it was glorious from start to finish with the same 3 piece set up he had in Manchester when I last saw him. So packed full of classic tunes it was hard to come to terms with how good the last song was before the next nugget appeared. Mood of the Morning was... ...just magical. So delicate, so textured, so damn good it had me - as I often am at Mick's shows - transfixed. In the 'when she's gone...' section it was all I could do to swallow the lump in my throat and hold back the tears. A quick but joyous encore of 'Newby Street' closed things in superb fashion, but it was all wonderful.

The thing which is worth adding is that the atmosphere was just terrific in that place. Everyone was into it, with the whole audience seemingly familiar with every note, every word and the noise between the songs was deafening as people yelled and cheered. Also worth reporting was the mass 'Ohhh... Jeremy Cor-byn' chants which spontaneously broke out at regular intervals. I've rarely been in a venue with a vibe so upbeat and jumping you could practically taste it.

Said it before and I'm saying it again - pure genius. And I love Liverpool too - a great city...
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Kraftwerk at the Liverpool Philharmonic on 11th.

Funny old gig really. We couldn't get in to the venue as planned because there were technical hitches that delayed the soundcheck meaning we had to wait outside for quite a while..

The show itself once it started was (IIRC) the same setlist I had seen in Dublin on June 2nd. However, there were some quite serious gremlins in the perfomance (the duff singing is unusual but there were some honking Kate Radley stylee bum notes in the keyboard washes) and with the show electronics. Radioactivity nearly collapsed as sequenced bass lines and drum machines did not kick in correctly about 2/3 of the way through the song. The reaction by the band was was impressive, they seemed to delay the 3-D projections a bit until the music caught up to where it was supposed to be, and then collapsed the song over the finishing line in a kind of mad heap. I had thought the shows were pretty much a digital backing line with a set of fancy movie projectors synced closely, augmented with some live keyboards and vocals. It seems that they play far more of the music than most of us realise and also seem to have some ability to change the projections too. I guess the rumours of them checking FaceBook during the show are probably wrong.

Great gig with incredible visuals and some of the best sound production I have ever enjoyed. I have two criticisms of the shows I saw though: (i) it was a shame to have to sit though such incredibly good music to dance to and (ii) turn it up a bit lads. It was quite quiet both nights, although the incredible acoustics of the Phil did help a bit.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Thee Oh Sees (or Oh Sees as they are to now known)
Manchester Academy

Just a staggeringly good live outfit, compulsive viewing for 90 plus minutes (they never normally play that long)
Venue sound is consistently good here (never used to be) and it was perfect to my ears, I was up close mind. The double drums are brilliant, both play the same thing but slightly differently and they are so in synch. John is a great frontman, aiming his guitar like a machine gun at his band as he pummels and coaxes more surf, pysch, rock, noise, effects out of his guitar. His energy is infectious, setlist has been consistent this year with a good selection of tunes well oiled, plus 3 new ones from the forthcoming LP (all sound great). Nice touch at the end when Mikey (former drummer whose band supported) came out for the last song (25 minute epic) and played drums with the other two. Drum carnage, wonderful stuff!
Not full but pretty close to full at The Academy making this easily their biggest show in town, just a great night.
As John said as the bad plugged in, "We are Oh Sees and we are happy to play for you, Dig In". And Dig In we did.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: it was a shame to have to sit though such incredibly good music to dance to
:shock: You dance?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:
olan wrote: it was a shame to have to sit though such incredibly good music to dance to
:shock: You dance?
Once, in 1989. It was odd.

It is not good music to sit down to in a concert hall more likely to be used for orchestral work. I would have preferred to stand TBH.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Kraftwerk 13th June Birmingham - Lovely venue in the Symphony Hall. Better 3d visuals than the last time in Manchester Velodrome. They appear to have the spacecraft landing in front of all the venues on the tour! Perfect sound and another odd feeling of having to sit down for 2 hours of great music.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Kraftwerk - Edinburgh Usher Hall, my mate and I went up to Edinburgh to watch the Scotland v England match before the gig, so some nice pre gig Guinness and the traditional close but no cigar for Scotland with the football set us up nicely. Had seen Kraftwerk last in `91 at the Edinburgh Playhouse and I remember it well as one of my fav ever gigs, so had been looking forward to this for weeks and I wasn`t disappointed, seats were brilliant, centre stage maybe 10 rows back and although I can`t be bothered with 3D in a cinematic setting, I was totally engrossed from start to finish, never seen anything like it in all my gig going days, sound was amazing, visuals pretty stunning but the music`s the thing, simple, original, 40 yr old on the most part, quaint and yet still futuristic, Ralf Hutter was cheered to the rafters as the last member to leave the stage, still light when we went outside, what a way to spend 2 hrs, :D
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Did anyone catch Thurston Moore on his tour? I was tempted as I really like the latest LP but I was just back from holidays and feeling lazy.

Oh and going back to earlier posts: for those of yous saying Swans not the same without Thor etc.. It's certainly very different stuff but I really loved the Thor & Friends gig back in April. The LP is good, but you need to see them live to realise how precise and focused they have to be to perform these songs.More like modern minimalistic classical, but if you're fine with that and get a chance to see them then go for it!
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Aquarian-Time wrote:Thee Oh Sees (or Oh Sees as they are to now known)
Manchester Academy

Just a staggeringly good live outfit, compulsive viewing for 90 plus minutes (they never normally play that long)
Venue sound is consistently good here (never used to be) and it was perfect to my ears, I was up close mind. The double drums are brilliant, both play the same thing but slightly differently and they are so in synch. John is a great frontman, aiming his guitar like a machine gun at his band as he pummels and coaxes more surf, pysch, rock, noise, effects out of his guitar. His energy is infectious, setlist has been consistent this year with a good selection of tunes well oiled, plus 3 new ones from the forthcoming LP (all sound great). Nice touch at the end when Mikey (former drummer whose band supported) came out for the last song (25 minute epic) and played drums with the other two. Drum carnage, wonderful stuff!
Not full but pretty close to full at The Academy making this easily their biggest show in town, just a great night.
As John said as the bad plugged in, "We are Oh Sees and we are happy to play for you, Dig In". And Dig In we did.
Jealous.
Quite possibly my favourite band of the last few years, especially live. The only London date they played was Field Day which I couldn't go to and I did ponder a trip to Manchester or elsewhere but couldn't do those either. So, pretty gutted to have missed them this time round. I prefer their old line up with Petey and Brigid but the double drummer action is a powerhouse to behold and possibly more muscular because of it. John Dwyer is a God and a delight to witness live. I'll catch them next time............roll on the Orc album in Aug.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Radiohead

Dublin 3arena last night
They were alright. A mixed bag. They'll do well at Glasto n Manchester. A lot of politically charged material.
I enjoyed it but just trying to quantify a few moments fell flat, a few moments don't seem to translate for them into arena sized venues & I don't know whether that's purposeful or wilful or just a misjudgement on their part. What I mean by that is it's over a decade since I last saw them at this venue and they're still playing The Gloaming.
Some of the older material seems quite tired too, My Iron Lung in particular seems awfully shallow and dated. Saying that, Let Down was a highlight. A reinvigorated set piece which epitomises the mood of the set. I did find the cynicism & sarcasm a bit wearisome by the end tho.

Setlist aside, they seem to be more confident and unashamed performers these days. Thom's become a real showman & you can't take your eyes of Jonny, one of the great guitar gods. They've definitely anchored into a more mature sound, they are seriously groovy, you can actually dance to them whereas before their identity was unresolved. They're a great band, and Colin also deserves great credit. Also my first time seeing them with two drummers + Jonny. Was hoping they'd played There, There.

But yes I think they'll go over well at Glastonbury. Just thinking the reaction they'll get for that line in No Surprises about the government not speaking for us. But also they do make an effort, it's not like they're just phoning it in, or being obtuse. They try to please while putting on a performance mostly on their own terms.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The thing with Radiohead is that they do a great job mixing up the setlist. I LOVE it when they play The Gloaming but it isn't as common as it used to be. My Iron Lung? Fuck that, awful track! Still, I am glad they mix it up night after night. I'm looking forward to Manchester. Skipped the last tour because TKOL was an atrocious album, but I'm ready again now, been about 7 years since the last time.
solarflare returns
Known user

Post by solarflare returns »

Kraftwerk.... Royal Albert Hall, Friday 23rd of June...... Spec fckn tacular!! I never thought I would get the chance to see this band, but was lucky enough to get tickets... And even more lucky to meet Ian and his wife Mary, two lovely lovely people, great company, big smiles all night, only drawback was that we couldn't spend more time together. The Spiritualized forums seem to full of great great people.... Ive been on here in one form or another for many years now and every one I've met on here has just been great, I honestly haven't encountered another fan forum like it. Whatever subliminal messages Spaceman puts on his records seems to make all Spiritualized fans a bloody great group of people!! Ha ha. Ian and Mary.... Thank you both.... You added to a truly great day and night for my son and me.... Next round is on me :)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

solarflare returns wrote:Kraftwerk.... Royal Albert Hall, Friday 23rd of June...... Spec fckn tacular!!
It was amazing. Second time we've been lucky enough to see them this year, but a much better view this time.

I've never seen them before, and was a little reluctant at first, not being able to shake the feeling that this isn't really Kraftwerk, just Ralf and some mates. In a way, this is true, but it is impossible to see these shows without being absolutely swept along in the spectacle - and of course, the music is still incredible, whoever is pressing the buttons. A friend who we took to the Brighton show (a veteran of an enormous number of top quality gigs) said that she placed it in her top 5 live experiences. Only real drawback is the inability to dance, as they are playing all-seated venues.

And of course my real thanks is to solarflare, without whom we wouldn't have been able to go. He provides the evidence of his own analysis of the people on this forum!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Kill West at The Hope and Ruin Brighton. Been looking forward to catching up with these guys since the release of the first e.p. Kill West in 2014. The wait was well worth it.
The sound has changed a lot since the scale down from a 5 piece to a 4 piece, less doom and surf, more rocky garage psych. Really enjoyed their set, and managed to pick up the latest album (GUSH) , signed and a quick chat. All in all a great evenings music again at the H&R , just a bit shy on the crowd numbers.
Have to mention GNOB supporting tonight Great sounds of heavy blues and rock with a groove , good stuff from this London trio .
4 bands tonight for just over a fiver, that's what I call entertainment for the money .
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I was at the Kill West gig last night too BrokenHeart. I've put out both Kill West EPs on my label Drone Rock Records and it was such a pleasure and thrill to finally meet and watch the boys in action. Was hoping to meet them for a few beers before the gig but they got stuck in traffic coming down from their gig in Manchester the previous night. Got to hang out with them for a little after the show though. Such great lads. I though they sounded even better live than on record and loved the way they merged some of the songs together. Highlight for me was Signs from the first EP. I've put a video of the last song they played on the Dron Rock FB page so check that out when you get a chance.

PS: I loved Gnob too (in spite of their rather silly name....though they did point out it was "Bong" backwards which I don't know if it made it more or less silly!). I chatted with the lead guitarist after the show and hoping to work with them on getting a record out.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ride in Oxford on Monday night. yet again, superb. what is it about a good Ride gig that leaves me buzzing and feeling good? the sound was excellent which really helped, they were sounding muscular and the guitars were making all the right noises. Seagull was massive.
and the love from the crowd was awesome. it was a sit down venue but as soon as they were on stage everyone was up, dancing in the aisles.

the theatre layout also meant it was really easy to see Loz doing his stuff 8)

set was a great mixture including some less obvious ones- Kaleidoscope. and Unfamiliar is also back. as a hometown gig I was surprised they didn't play Home Is A Feeling, but OX4 did get an outing, a song I never particularly cared for, until hearing it live and the way it gets everyone dancing, and that great intro with the wash of guitar from Mark.

the new songs didn't sound too out of place either- often sounding bigger and rawer in the live environment. I still don't care for Charm Assault. but All I Want sounded great. Loz is a machine on that.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The three drummer line up in crazy action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4XHNlopvsU
Aquarian-Time wrote:Thee Oh Sees (or Oh Sees as they are to now known)
Manchester Academy

BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Shinesalight wrote:I was at the Kill West gig last night too BrokenHeart. I've put out both Kill West EPs on my label Drone Rock Records and it was such a pleasure and thrill to finally meet and watch the boys in action. Was hoping to meet them for a few beers before the gig but they got stuck in traffic coming down from their gig in Manchester the previous night. Got to hang out with them for a little after the show though. Such great lads. I though they sounded even better live than on record and loved the way they merged some of the songs together. Highlight for me was Signs from the first EP. I've put a video of the last song they played on the Dron Rock FB page so check that out when you get a chance.

PS: I loved Gnob too (in spite of their rather silly name....though they did point out it was "Bong" backwards which I don't know if it made it more or less silly!). I chatted with the lead guitarist after the show and hoping to work with them on getting a record out.
A big thanks Shines for introducing me to Kill West and all the other great stuff on your Drone Rock Records. Stay Droned !
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Bit late but I was at Ride @ Manchester Ritz.

Without question in my top 5 gigs ever....it was that good. The sound (as usual in the ritz) was superb, perfect clarity, plus it was nice and loud. New songs were great (I love the album but live they really fly) It was an evening that just had everything.
The band were loving it and by their own admission, playing better than ever.
Will deffo be at Liverpool later in the year for some more
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Real Estate @ The Ritz, Manchester

This was pretty dull, I like the band, but the indie guitar picking, chilled vibe needs a really good sound and for once this venue didn't provide same. Lead singer's voice sounded very toured and the band seemed as though they were trying too hard to enjoy the night, when they just wanted to get on a plane home. Venue not sold out by any stretch, I'm unsure whether we will see this band again for some reason, I reckon they have run their course.
Couple of the older tracks really flew, but these moments were few and far between, the crowd were fairly disinterested from where I was standing.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Lift To Experience @ Edinburgh Summer Hall

End of year lists are going to be tricky - this is my 3rd gig of the year so far! I'd never caught them first time round, it was probably a Josh Tee Pearson set at ATP 2008 that prompted me to revisit LTE, and there was no way I was going to miss this opportunity to catch them live. Not sure how many the venue held, definitely not huge, but it was well busy even if not totally sold out. First shock was seeing Josh with short hair and clean shaven! He wasn't happy about the sound after 2 songs, and tbh I wasn't complaining then as I've been to plenty of gigs where it's as good as it gets, but after a short interruption it was excellent. They probably played 70-75min, so not an overly long set, but the intensity definitely made up for it. The drummer and bass player were totally on point too. It was really all I expected and more, really good night.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Kikagaku Moyo, Birmingham

great set from these guys last Thursday night. it was in the small room at the Hare & Hounds so I could get really close up and see what they were doing. they (perhaps surprisingly?) got a much bigger crowd than Spectres in the same room a few weeks back. can't have been that far off sold out.

they are such great musicians, these guys aren't messing about but it's all so tasteful too. nothing of the extreme, wild flavour of, say, Acid Mothers Temple which could be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

they opened with Green Sugar which was excellent, all standing in a circle and locking in.
as has been said elsewhere on the board, the good thing about this band is the variety- they can be soft and chilled but also rock it up too. there was an interlude where they sat down and played some acoustic tunes which was also note perfect.
they played a new song which was really rocky and almost Zeppelin-esque!

only criticism would be that they didn't play Kogarashi as it's my favourite.

Earthling Society supported, they were okay but have to say I wasn't blown away. kind of Hawkwind rock with a droney base but somehow bluesy and trad rock too.

btw glad Lift to Experience lived up to expectations Flo. I would think having good sound for them is very important.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

GospelbeacH & Miranda Lee Richards @ Mono, Glasgow, Fri 25th Aug

Fabulous show bringing some much needed Californian sunshine to a really pissy wet Friday evening in Glasgow. Such was the potential for the evening, Scottish indie royalty was in the house with Eugene Kelly, Joe McAlinden and Gerry Love, who was DJing, all in attendance.

Having never heard MLR solo material (was only familiar with her BJM work and a few other appearances) but she blew us away with her angelic singing and songs. Backed by the guys from GospelbeacH, her full band set was amazing with the rest of the guys, especially guitarist Jason Soda whose beautiful slide guitar and tone just complimented Miranda's voice perfectly. Reminded me very much of Mazzy Star in places, maybe just a bit more upbeat, but great set nonetheless. So much so my wife grabbed her first ever setlist as she wanted to find the songs when she went home and the lovely Miranda signed it for her, and she was just lovely to chat to also.

For those not familiar, GospelbeacH's singer/leadman Brent Rademaker has done his musical time via Beechwood Sparks, The Tyde and Further so i was fully expected beautiful melodies and wonderful harmonies but what i didn't quite expect was the energy that these guys put out! I thought it would be quite a chilled evening of dreamy Californian vibes, but they had the place rocking with their songs, Brent getting the smallish crowd to stand right up against the stage and encouraging every one to dance and have a great time! And so we did. Setlist spanned both their albums and it just seemed like hit after hit, and even with it being absolutely miserable outside, there was no sign of anything but great times all night long!

Absoluetly great night out, and i'm so glad i decided to go at the last minute. Well worth checking out if they head through your area. Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face :D
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That sounds pretty great James... I'm investigating some of their stuff after reading that!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote:That sounds pretty great James... I'm investigating some of their stuff after reading that!
They really were great Mark. There is a link with The Chris Robinson Brotherhood too in that Neal Casal was originally a member of GospelbeacH and played on their debut album in a three-guitar attack which sounds lovely on the album. Definite similarities i think between them.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Green Man last weekend. Really nice chilled out festival. Highlights of the 4 days} Ride, Happyness,Kikagaku Moyo,Lift to experience,Angel Olsen,The Orielles,Big Thief,Gospelbeach,Allah-Las,Richard Dawson,Sleaford Mods and a fine PJ Harvey set.
Some really great performances topped for me undoubtedly Saturday afternoon at the "Walled garden " by Aldous Harding. It's been a long time since the hairs on the back of the neck have come out to play.
Wonderful voice.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Sea Change festival down in Devon couple of weeks back- definitely one to watch. great eclectic lineup, only 1000 capacity and it's in a lovely small (and very hippy-ish) town where you can go between venues as you please.

highlights were sets from Chris Forsyth, Trembling Bells, and particularly Ryley Walker who did a full band thing (featuring Bill Mackay on guitar plus ex-Wilco Leroy) where they went on a full jazz trip with lots of jamming. the drummer in particular was excellent and hitting everything he could get his hands on.
also enjoyed the bits I caught of Amber Arcades, Julie Byrne, Michael Chapman, and Death and Vanilla.
there was also a band called WH Lung who seem to be getting a lot of hype lately kind of krautrocky with some post punk in there too. I wasn't bowled over but the crowd seemed to be loving it.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Kaiser Chiefs at the VMworld customer appreciation party, Barcelona.
OK not really, I just went for the free food and beer. KCs went on stage earlier than expected, so I couldn't avoid a few songs before making my way back to the hotel. Ricky Wilson was playing to the crowd and some lapped it up, I found it super cringey as you might expect. :lol:

Last month before my holidays, Chris Forsyth in Stirling. Small seated venue, but as all tables/ most seats were occupied, probably not a bad turnout for a Mon. night gig there. Took a couple of songs to really get going, but excellent once it did. Songs from the new album and previous one.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Thoroughly enjoyable Ryan Adams show at Manchester Apollo, sold out fairly handy as always.
He has become a bit more 80's Rock, Springsteen esque over the last 2 tours, and I for one think it helps in these venues. Its more full on and the set lists have become a bit more static, but he really is a great performer, and there are the odd nod to earlier, more introspective work, but I feel this is better when he does his sols shoes to be honest.
Set list covered all his career and I never tire of seeing him in action, voice right on point and I love the guitar sound he is favoring currently.
Tea time meet up with our very own angelsighs, where we chewed the fat in a few hostelries and he crashed at mine after the show.
Top evening
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Top notch show from Mick Head And The Red Elastic band at Oran Mor in Glasgow, saw him here just over a yr ago but this was a completely different beast of a show, accompanied by a french horn an cello I think last time, tonight it was a full band and a set to die for. Kicking of with a magical Byrds Turn To Stone and As Long As I`ve Got You then into great chunks of Waterpistol and HMS Fable, not so much Red Elastic Band stuff strangely what with the new album just round the corner I expected some of that, might be wrong but don`t think I heard anything from it. Highlights for me were Comedy, I Know You Well and Mr Appointment. A great enthusiastic crowd in as well, more than last yr I think which was good, load up from England plus a bunch of Scottish relatives and a last minute goal for Scotland around the 9.30 mark in our WC qualifier just added to what was celebratory atmosphere, great night out altogether.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Saw Metallica at the O2 last night. Better than I expected - I don't think they've done a decent album since Master of Puppets. Was a little disappointed they didn't play Whiplash, but hey, I've seen them now. They put on a good show.

Ste
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

BRMC at The Dome Brighton. For me this gig was ok but didn't seem anywhere near as dynamic as when I saw them back in 2010 at The Pyramids Centre in Portsmouth. Wether it was the sound or the venue, I couldn't really put my finger on it.
I loved the support band, Restavrant, raw, slide bluesy with lots of other stuff in there too.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I went to see Lost Wishes (a new project for Richard Thomas ex- Dif Juz and Simon Raymonde, ex-Cocteau Twin and Bella Union boss) play their first ever gig on Monday night at Leaf in Liverpool. I can only describe the music as being somewhere between This Mortal Coil and Snowblind (Raymonde's last project). As such it was very melodic with some very talented vocalists fronting the band. Sadly, it didn't really work for me partly I think because the music lacked any real bite or hook, and partly because I was really unpleasantly unwell.The fact that it was their first gig didn't help, as everybody on stage was clearly very nervous. I'll need to listen to the LP before I draw any conclusions. Next up is a freebie when Ride visit Liverpool in a couple of weeks.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Acid Mothers Temple- Mama Roux's, Birmingham

I was quite excited about this as I always think AMT put on a great show, however I'm sad to say it left me a little cold. Kawabata's guitar was a bit low in the mix which I think means it didn't have the usual oomph. But I think the problem was that it was pretty much the exact same set they always play. i.e. La Novia, Pink Lady Lemonade, the little bit of business where the crossdressing guitarist did a little dance (which was exactly the same as Liverpool Psych Fest- over a year ago!) etc etc
Still a great bunch of musicians though, and the merch desk was a thing of wonder as usual. I just wish they would mix it up a bit more. They've got enough albums to draw from.

Bardo Pond/Godspeed You Black Emperor- Motion, Bristol

This was a cracker. I thought the venue was a great fit, a warehouse type setup (with a meaty PA!) which really suited the often bleak and brooding music on show.

Always a treat to see Bardo Pond, they served up the usual slice of fuzzy and thick psych rock with some bluesy slide work. I did feel that the sound could have been better (it had that thing where it almost sounded like the drums weren't even coming out of the PA, and it should have been louder) but by the final song this had improved and the set ender was a clear highlight. It was also great to see a very healthy crowd there for them, I can't imagine they often play to much bigger numbers outside of festival slots.

Godspeed were tremendous. I have been a bit lukewarm on the new album but it came across extremely well in the live setting. The set was basically the usual Hope Drone (which will never stop being a great way to start a set in my opinion!), then the new album played in full, then the Slow Riot EP also played in full. I really respect it when a band put their new work front and centre. Bosses Hang was really good, but I think the highlight for me was Moya- the way it builds is glorious.
It was gloriously noisy, when the crescendos hit it felt just right as I could feel the old jeans flapping a bit :) (and got me thinking why the sound couldn't have been this good for Bardo Pond??). the finale was particularly epic as BBF3 went into a blitzkrieg of noise ringing out for some time.
Godspeed are one of those bands where the live show can make the records sound weedy in comparison.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Oh and by the way Olan- at the Sea Change festival in August I attended a Q&A by Simon Raymonde, it was fascinating and covered a lot of ground including the Cocteau Twins days, Bella Union and the recent Scott Walker prom. he seemed like a really nice guy who has had a lot of involvement with great music. They ran out of time before really getting on to Lost Horizons unfortunately.