The Darkside - Boxset

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

Laz69
Known user

The Darkside - Boxset

Post by Laz69 »

Not sure how widely known this is, but Sterling Roswell has mentioned working with Pete Bassman on compiling a new 5-CD boxset of The Darkside albums and a raft of unreleased material. I am definitely looking forward to this!

https://soundcloud.com/rosco-sterling-r ... ete-studio
clewsr
Known user

Re: The Darkside - Boxset

Post by clewsr »

yes, its good to see this box set is actually happening. looking forward to it.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I see via FB that some copies of the darkside box set are out there. There's a review at:

http://peruavantgarde.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... sters.html

English at the bottom. Not sure when it is due for release?

Ste
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

In the shops December asfaik.

I was expecting more in it but i think there might be more box sets (early and live material) in the pipeline.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Nice chrimbo present then! :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

If you contact Sterling Roswell direct, you can get one of them just now. Official release date is December i believe. There is talk of a "best of" vinyl release for RSD next year and also some live dates in the pipeline.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

This just arrived in the post - looking forward to giving it a listen.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

clewsr wrote:This just arrived in the post - looking forward to giving it a listen.
I am waiting on my copy at the moment and really looking forward to it.

This will be my second CD purchase for the year :shock: , the other being the Grateful Dead's 'The Closing of The Winterland Ballroom: Winter 1973' which was a lot cheaper :(
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Full tracklisting?

Contact details for Mr Roswell an early purchase?

Price?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Shame "Psychedelicise Suburbia" isn't in there. Best thing they released IMO.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Dreamweapon wrote:Full tracklisting?

Contact details for Mr Roswell an early purchase?

Price?
DM him on Facebook. He is easy to find.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Yes, I contact him on FB yesterday and he's going to send me one when he gets back from Mexico. It's 50 quid for the box set and a fiver for P&P. Not sure of the complete track list, but there's all that noise, melomania, mayhem to meditate etc, more info at the review link I posted above.

ste
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
clewsr wrote:This just arrived in the post - looking forward to giving it a listen.

This will be my second CD purchase for the year :shock: , the other being the Grateful Dead's 'The Closing of The Winterland Ballroom: Winter 1973' which was a lot cheaper :(
I never had you down as a Deadhead Olan :shock: Thought there'd be a bit self indulgent for your tastes

It makes sense to have Grateful Dead shows on CD as it would probably take around 5 slabs of vinyl to fit the average Dead show on :)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

angelsighs wrote:
olan wrote:

I never had you down as a Deadhead Olan :shock: Thought there'd be a bit self indulgent for your tastes

It makes sense to have Grateful Dead shows on CD as it would probably take around 5 slabs of vinyl to fit the average Dead show on :)
I quite like the early Grateful Dead stuff. A lot of the later stuff is a bit much for me. I had dismissed them out of sheer prejudice given my strict post-punk upbringing. I'm trying to educate myself a bit, so the Dead are one of my current projects. I've also been buying a lot of jazz, but that is another story.

The Winterland Ballroom thing is 4 CDs and must last for at least 4 hours. I'm guessing that you would need a 12LP set to listen to it all on vinyl. Ultimately it is a live LP so it is better suited to CD. Turning over an LP is not great for recreating the live vibe and some of the longer tunes would not fit on a side of vinyl anyway.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

There is a Discogs page for the Darkside box here: https://www.discogs.com/The-Darkside-Co ... e/10876635.

Pretty much all the information you will need about the set.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
olan wrote:

I quite like the early Grateful Dead stuff. A lot of the later stuff is a bit much for me. I had dismissed them out of sheer prejudice given my strict post-punk upbringing. I'm trying to educate myself a bit, so the Dead are one of my current projects. I've also been buying a lot of jazz, but that is another story.

The Winterland Ballroom thing is 4 CDs and must last for at least 4 hours. I'm guessing that you would need a 12LP set to listen to it all on vinyl. Ultimately it is a live LP so it is better suited to CD. Turning over an LP is not great for recreating the live vibe and some of the longer tunes would not fit on a side of vinyl anyway.
that's a really good point. CDs do have their uses, after all :) I feel they are particularly good for boxsets where a lot of music is needed to be crammed in.
I keep trying and failing to get into the Dead. there are moments I like, and I prefer the period when they were a bit more psych and spacey as compared to the country rock version
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Interesting.... Excerpt below taken from this recent interview with Pete Bain: https://thefutureheart.com/2018/03/20/s ... ull-rsd18/

The Future Heart: As for your other bands, you issued a Darkside box set last December and suggested that a Darkside release of live material and an Alphastone collection might be next. More immediately, you’ve said a reissue of Alphastone Stereophonic Pop Art Music on double 12″ vinyl from Hoga Nord with unreleased material is scheduled.

Bassman: The Alphastone box set largely depends if we sell the Darkside box which has been a diabolical disaster from start to finish – the worst release I have ever been involved in. This prompted me to say things on my blog regards Stuart Roswell and the band. [Note: Bassman is referring to two paragraphs from this blog post that have since been removed.]

Anyone know any more?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/count ... pid=119464
Considerably less here. Customers outside of EU don't pay VAT either. Deduct about 20%. Usually pays for s&h.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

sunray wrote:Interesting.... Excerpt below taken from this recent interview with Pete Bain: https://thefutureheart.com/2018/03/20/s ... ull-rsd18/

The Future Heart: As for your other bands, you issued a Darkside box set last December and suggested that a Darkside release of live material and an Alphastone collection might be next. More immediately, you’ve said a reissue of Alphastone Stereophonic Pop Art Music on double 12″ vinyl from Hoga Nord with unreleased material is scheduled.

Bassman: The Alphastone box set largely depends if we sell the Darkside box which has been a diabolical disaster from start to finish – the worst release I have ever been involved in. This prompted me to say things on my blog regards Stuart Roswell and the band. [Note: Bassman is referring to two paragraphs from this blog post that have since been removed.]

Anyone know any more?
Pure speculation here: I've just bought a copy, and although I'm yet to dive into the music properly (and really looking forward to it!) the packaging isn't exactly great. Typos on the back and inside sleeve covers, missing song names on one of the disc sleeves, no distinctions made between the multiple versions of tracks, absolutely zero information about who played/produced/did anything regarding the music anywhere, nor even anything hinting as to what releases the music came from. Not a great introduction to the band from that point of view - perhaps this is partly what Bassman is alluding to? - but as I said, I'm hugely looking forward to the tunes.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I bought and paid for it when the preorder was announced. It arrived well after the general release (for reasons that were easy to understand) and cost me an extra £20-odd (for reasons that were not easy to understand at all) :x .

Won't be doing that again I'm afraid, which is a shame as I would usually prefer to buy direct from the artist.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

The reviews of this sadly seem to have been more negative (at worst), and mediocre (at best).

I gather that Pete Bain was quite frustrated with how the boxset turned out. I guess it's also unlikely that any of the issues I've read about (tracklisting, media scans, missing tracks) will be rectified, and a new box released.

How did those here that did buy it find it?

I have All That Noise (CD), Melomania (LP), Psychedelicise Surburbia (LP), Mayhem To Meditate (CD).

Is it worth buying (even as a nice thing to have)?

What's Pete up to these days too?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Dreamweapon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:28 am The reviews of this sadly seem to have been more negative (at worst), and mediocre (at best).

I gather that Pete Bain was quite frustrated with how the boxset turned out. I guess it's also unlikely that any of the issues I've read about (tracklisting, media scans, missing tracks) will be rectified, and a new box released.

How did those here that did buy it find it?

I have All That Noise (CD), Melomania (LP), Psychedelicise Surburbia (LP), Mayhem To Meditate (CD).

Is it worth buying (even as a nice thing to have)?

What's Pete up to these days too?

Anything anyone can put forward regarding the above that I posted? Does anyone know if the box is likely to get the attention it deserves and be redone? Guess that would be pricey and would it make the returns for the band?