call the doctor

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

walkman
New user

call the doctor

Post by walkman »

Tell them black ain't always white babe, and without sure ain't within
never understood this line, anyone?
plastic37
Known user

Re: call the doctor

Post by plastic37 »

For me that means .... don't accept the prevailing orthodoxy.
Because ....
There's more that we don't know we don't know, than do.
.... do don't dey do.

And the use of colour in the first part is about .... everything is vibrations.
Heavy Tourism
walkman
New user

Post by walkman »

Yup, I get the "black ain't always white" bit i.e. things are not always as clear cut as some might think. But "without sure ain't within"?? Without what?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

walkman wrote:Yup, I get the "black ain't always white" bit i.e. things are not always as clear cut as some might think. But "without sure ain't within"?? Without what?
I assume it's just wordplay, ie "without" as the opposite of "within". I don't think there's a literal meaning hidden in there, but I might be wrong.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

You have to read the lines under a full moon, with Jupiter in ascendance, only then will its true meaning be revealed to those who seek it.

Well, that's what the lady at counter said, best take it with a pinch of salt.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mojo filters wrote:
walkman wrote:Yup, I get the "black ain't always white" bit i.e. things are not always as clear cut as some might think. But "without sure ain't within"?? Without what?
I assume it's just wordplay, ie "without" as the opposite of "within". I don't think there's a literal meaning hidden in there, but I might be wrong.
It's also akin to a rhetorical device called "chiasmus" which for several years I mistakenly conflated with floating opposites, through watching The West Wing a bit too much ;)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

I'd never even noticed this lyric before (which, you'd think after thirty years of listening, I would've), but the second half seems clearer to me than the first. "Without sure ain't within" meaning (I think) that the external world of 'objective' reality ("without") and the internal world of perception ("within") aren't the same. Seems pretty straightforward, no?
walkman
New user

Post by walkman »

A saint wrote:I'd never even noticed this lyric before (which, you'd think after thirty years of listening, I would've), but the second half seems clearer to me than the first. "Without sure ain't within" meaning (I think) that the external world of 'objective' reality ("without") and the internal world of perception ("within") aren't the same. Seems pretty straightforward, no?
now, that makes sense. never read it that way before. finally, seems obvious. thanks.
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

It really is a great lyric. And --as with all those early compositions-- I'm left wondering where they might have stolen it from ;)
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

A saint wrote:It really is a great lyric. And --as with all those early compositions-- I'm left wondering where they might have stolen it from ;)
Do folks really think such Spacemen 3 lyrics are especially great, in comparison with the more recent output from Jason and Pete?

Sometimes they have an unwitting maturity, more often they seem raw and less refined, in comparison.

Personally I think most artists end up retreading older fertile ground. Yet they do so with a degree of experience, that allows them to better pick, choose and articulate.

For example, with the exception of a few embarrassing moments ("Jesus will you be my radio/cipher/substitute/placeholder/platitude") I think the last Spiritualized album was a lyrical triumph.

Hey Jane was not just an awesome song, but it inspired the best video since Stop Your Crying!

Whilst the themes on SHSL were familiar - sometimes a little too familiar - I loved the mature take on the well trodden subject matter.

For example, So Long... was such an amazing way to take the themes and tropes from Jason's whole career, distilling them down into a joyful yet timely reminder that the Spaceman / Spiritualized canon is obviously closer to the end than the beginning.

Similarly if you look at the lyrics on LICD, they tell the listener as much about where he's come from, as they show where he will be going.

It's not that I've got a problem with early lyrics from the Spacemen 3 days. I just think inevitably great artists hone and refine their craft, over time.

I'm not intending to devalue the earlier output, I just think it has a context.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd agree. think what you will about the whole sound and style of the newer records, but I think Jason's lyrics have got better and better with some great phrases on the newer stuff.