Anyone know what Spiritualized are up to?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Anyone know what Spiritualized are up to?

Post by MODLAB »

Bring them along clewsr. You go for the gig and they can enjoy the sites. ;)
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm not sure my children wouldn't forgive me if I took them somewhere and went of to see Spiritualized without them!
Best dressed chicken
New user

Post by Best dressed chicken »

Had just been looking through this thread and looking at the Oslo/Melbourne gigs when this popped up on my f/b feed.

http://desertdaze.org/

Good if you are in California
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a new Spiritualized tour would be a treat indeed. need that itch scratching. from all the excitement hear looks like a board meet up would be on the cards also.

wonder if they'll do the 'play the new album in it's entirety' thing again?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I posted this is the gigs section, but it's pretty exciting to see a U.S. date appear:

http://thefillmore.com/event/spiritualized/
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Only exciting if they play some different tunes. So sick and tired of same basic setlist that even a 3 year absence can't get me excited. Watching people leave in droves during the oh baby section last time almost made me cry. Mostly because I felt like joining them.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I agree with you there. If the album isn't out before these shows, my guess is that the most we can hope for is one or two new songs. Still, if a Chicago date is added, I'll buy a ticket and go no matter what.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

SpaceLine wrote:Only exciting if they play some different tunes. So sick and tired of same basic setlist that even a 3 year absence can't get me excited. Watching people leave in droves during the oh baby section last time almost made me cry. Mostly because I felt like joining them.
Never understood the negativity to Oh Baby, love that tune.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd agree that the setlists from those festival shows they did a couple of years back were rather predictable.
but the tour before (was it some American dates?) that had oodles of new songs and was a great mixture.

anyway it's as much about performance quality as song choice. it's almost not an issue if they play the same old tunes, as long as they play them well and with gusto. rather than phoning it in.

and I like Oh Baby too :) my favourite Spiritualized song? far from it. but I like it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

niamhm wrote:
SpaceLine wrote:Only exciting if they play some different tunes. So sick and tired of same basic setlist that even a 3 year absence can't get me excited. Watching people leave in droves during the oh baby section last time almost made me cry. Mostly because I felt like joining them.
Never understood the negativity to Oh Baby, love that tune.
My least favorite song by a distance. That segment with rated x always kills the energy of the show. Never understood why it has become some a set staple.

Someone was suggesting on Nick Mccabe's facebook page that he had seen Jason recently and the talk was of possibly re-recording the new album. Could of course be BS, but it does not sound encouraging for the album to drop any time soon.

Certainly hope these new gigs offer something new and are not just funding more work on the album.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Clewsr — I know the person. He told me the same and it is true what J said. It's all up to J in the end when and if he will deliver.

M
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thanks Modlab. It seemed true enough, - particularly in light of the obvious absence of the album.
Of course Jason has worked past the point of obsession on just about all spz albums (Amazing Grace aside?), and who am I to question things. I just hope that a wonderful Spiritualized album isn't about to be consigned to the bin!

Considering how hard Jason as admitted he finds the whole process, I'd like him to be able to feel the thing is finished to allow him to move on! Perhaps the fact that this may be the last album is adding pressure.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I don't hate Oh Baby, it's ok. Rated X I love but not every show please. As someone posted above, it really kills the momentum during a gig. I feel like he's daring the audience to leave.

My biggest gripe about their live shows is they have such an amazing catalog of songs they never play. I could come up with a fantastic setlist of songs for an entire concert that we never hear anymore. Imagine if they opened a gig with Anyway That You Want Me!? I'd cry tears of joy. And of course if they played Slide Song I could happily die at the conclusion.

For about 20 years they have been my favorite band and I'll go to any show in my area no matter what but that doesn't mean I can't hope for more.

To me, the 1994 recordings (all 3 or 4) are the penultimate gigs, but they could top those, I swear. cmon Spaceman, raise the bar...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I felt like the Holmeforth gig a couple of years ago raised the bar significantly higher than it has been in many years. But I suspect the US musicians are not longer in the live set up. It also seems like after this point the new songs were dropped from the set, I guess while the album was being worked on. It will be really interesting to see if any new songs appear in these upcoming gigs. - Will they be 'old' new songs? or might there be some 'new' new songs??
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was at the Chicago show at Lincoln Hall in 2014 when they played a number of new and as-yet unreleased tracks. That was really exciting. Like many Spiritualized shows, the sound was off for the first few songs, but it was super exciting hearing all of those new songs.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

my hunch and hope is we'll hear a lot of new stuff, Jason must be itching to play some of these songs live.
Exciting to see a number of dates coming together. Wonder if there will be more announced?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Do It All Over Again

Post by BzaInSpace »

I sincerely hope the rumours of Spaceman scrapping what must be years of recording and mixing is untrue.

Like others have said, pretty desperately need a new fix of Spiritualized® ℞ - I remember way back when (last year!) the 20th anniversary shows of LAG were mentioned, and a new album occurring around June 2017 was something that seemed impossibly distant.

Yet here we are.

There was that whole thing about the sessions in Spain with Youth being discarded... does this mean down the line there will be two lost Spiritualized albums?
O P 8
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

All of the SPZ shows are wonderful, but I have to agree w/ Spaceline. I saw them at a small venue around 94' or 95' called Slim's in S.F.. This would be the Pure Phase tour and the venue probably holds 300 or so punters and it was b-l-i-s-t-e-r-i-n-g to say the least. I don't care if he plays " Oh Baby " or not, I just need my dosage NOW !
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

He's gonna re-record the album? Not even just remix? Wow we're gonna be waiting a while then

The band's setlists can still surprise when they are in the mood. The encores for the SHSL in full shows had the first versions of Sway and Good Times for what, 10 years?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I very much hope that the suggestion of re-recording it was an off the cuff comment he made in passing. I really can't imagine that he can afford to start from scratch at this point. He's been working on it for years.
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

That's a good point. Surely it's a big financial luxury to scrap a whole album and record it again
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Sounds about on-par with everything else.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I was at the gig spacemanrich. It was in 95. It was one amazing blistering gig as you say.
Design.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Modlab, I remember it as if was yesterday. Jason's tour bus was parked in the front ( didn't meet him ). Went across the street at a brewpub called, " 20 Tank " for a pint or two. Do you remember that ? I just moved back into the city and met a Swiss girl where I hung out with her for awhile. Just the setlist and the strobing lights did it for me. All the past SPZ shows were wonderful, including the 8 piece orchestral, etc. during LAGWAFS, but just J.Spaceman and Co. for that show was on fire. I'm always about the (KISS) - keep it simple stoopid. I don't know, but it was my first Spaceman show, but it was memorable to say the least.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Anyway, would like to hear 'the slide song' again live (last time they've played it live must have been around '94) and 'never going back'. Always had a weak spot for those two. And while we're talking about a setlist, please replace 'rated x' and 'oh baby' by 'lay it down slow'. Thank you.
"Thank you"
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

If there's one track I'd like to hear live again it's You Lie You Cheat. It worked so well opening the A&E tour gigs, but then was never played again for some reason.

To be honest the setlist really doesn't matter to me right now. I just want to see a proper live gig!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

herman wrote: And while we're talking about a setlist, please replace 'rated x' and 'oh baby' by 'lay it down slow'. Thank you.
I've started to make peace with that and know to head for a refill at the bar from the moment I hear first notes. They're usually conveniently played around the halfway point of the gig too.
mojo filters wrote:If there's one track I'd like to hear live again it's You Lie You Cheat. It worked so well opening the A&E tour gigs, but then was never played again for some reason.
Seconded, I've always had a soft spot for that song and loved the opening section of Amazing Grace, You Lie You Cheat, and Shine A Light.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

mojo filters wrote:If there's one track I'd like to hear live again it's You Lie You Cheat. It worked so well opening the A&E tour gigs, but then was never played again for some reason.
Seconded, I've always had a soft spot for that song and loved the opening section of Amazing Grace, You Lie You Cheat, and Shine A Light.
Well remembered - I'd forgotten about that semi-acapella Amazing Grace renditon leading into You Lie You Cheat, it was a nice contrast yet segued perfectly!

I'm not sure it was used for every gig on all the A&E tour dates. I only saw one of the gigs on the 1st leg of that tour - the very early Koko gig, which I think started just going straight in to YLYC (which sounded amazing) before losing much of that energy a few tracks in.

The 2nd UK leg of the A&E tour which began much later in 2008, was a much more comprehensive route around the usual UK Academy circuit. I was lucky to see several of those gigs, and that's where I remember hearing that Amazing Grace intro, though my memory's still hazy.

What I clearly recall was how much better the band sounded for those gigs, plus the classic Lay Back In The Sun was brilliantly rearranged to make best use of the pair of gospel-style backup singers.

How do you remember the performance of Amazing Grace? If I had to make my best guess, I'd say it was mostly vox, but perhaps accompanied by either a keyboard or guitar sustained note, or the regular Pure Phase note. Of course I may just be confusing it with a traditional Edinburgh Tattoo style rendition, where pipes would also naturally be playing a single note drone in the bass register.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

flokie wrote:... loved the opening section of Amazing Grace...
Experiencing this (as a complete surprise, as it was only the 2nd time on that tour) was pure euphoria.
I'm so grateful for that.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

This is a good example of the Amazing Grace/You Lie You Cheat intro:

https://youtu.be/IFtzAzLz_Ik
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mkb wrote:This is a good example of the Amazing Grace/You Lie You Cheat intro:

https://youtu.be/IFtzAzLz_Ik
This Sydney version is what came to mind immediately for me too! It's a great recording that is. I ripped the audio from it and still listen to it regularly.

I'd agree with other comments here that the second leg of A&E tour was a major improvement over the initial dates. The first couple of dates I attended seemed a little hesitant and they weren't quite hitting the mark. Later on they were a much more well oiled machine.
I'd also agree that You Lie You Cheat was a major highlight of this era and should be brought back
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

I started watching that vid and thought "wow that's not what I remembered at all" but then it became more familiar. I only saw the Glasgow gig on that tour (first gig on 2nd part of UK tour) and we were treated to a noisy intro as members of the band and Jason came on stage, no music box sounds!
Lay Back in the Sun was also a highlight of that gig for me. Better than in 2012, and I consider that 2012 gig better than the 2008 one in many respects.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

bit gutted I'm not going to this festival. Is anyone here making the trip?

http://thequietus.com/articles/22854-oy ... al-preview
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

clewsr wrote:bit gutted I'm not going to this festival. Is anyone here making the trip?

http://thequietus.com/articles/22854-oy ... al-preview
This sounds amazing! There will be 30 members of the Oslo Philharmonic and a local gospel choir playing alongside Spiritualized, according to the festival website.

Curiously the Quietus article describes the gig as a "one-off show", plus they quote the festival promoter describing it as "a European exclusive show for the summer".

However the festival website describes it as "one of the few concerts the band will do in this format", as well as stating that Spiritualized will be "joined by the Oslo Philharmonic to create a rare musical experience" - ie not just a "one-off show".

I sincerely hope the latter is true, and this is not merely a one-off gig. It seems like a lot of effort to score a full set of songs spanning Spiritualized's whole career, for a chamber orchestra and gospel choir to accompany the electrical band - only to be used once, and for a festival gig at that!

It would be much nicer to hear that Spiritualized intend to play additional gigs of this type, with similar combinations of small orchestral ensembles and gospel choirs sourced locally if the Norwegian musicians are not able to travel.

For example when touring their last two albums, Belle & Sebastian played a few dates with a small orchesta, in addition to their normal touring ensemble. I was lucky to see a couple and they were amazing. Last time out they also made a brilliant live album, via the innovative folks at Concert Live.

They mix and record gigs live on site (the same way broadcasters would do) to provide a fully finished, mastered and packaged CD - available to buy within an hour of the gig ending. This captured B&S's Glasgow Hydro gig with remarkable accuracy and quality, removing any temptations for overdubbing and other post gig tinkering to "improve" such documents!

It would be great if Spiritualized are able to play additional gigs with an orchestra and choir, taking advantage of the good work already done to score this special Oslo festival performance. The slightly different descriptions I've outlined above, could indicate this is already going to happen...or it may simply be a slightly unfortunate translation error?

Whether Spiritualized play just one such gig, or manage to arrange a few more - it would be really nice if they were able to make an official live document of the event. I guess it depends how many they think they can sell? I would think that if it was available via a nice triple or quadruple vinyl set, as well as on CD - there could potentially be enough interest to make it commercially viable.

Regardless of that, it seems unfair only Oslo gets such an amazing special concert. Surely an additional London date also makes sense, at the very least?
Dave Chappelle
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'll be in Oslo. Really quite looking forward to this now, Spiritualized are on last 21:45 in the tent. Having said that, apart from Roy Ayers there's not much in the line-up that I'm fussed about seeing. It would be nice if there was a new t-shirt too, my collection of old shirts is looking a bit tired.
I guess this show format will be repeated in Melbourne at least? https://supersense.artscentremelbourne. ... lized.html
Not sure whether the orchestra will be added to the US shows.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I hadn't heard about this Australian gig. Thus it seems I was right that the show will be repeated more than once, but using local musicians to augment ťhe core touring band.

It's a shame for Spiritualized fans forced to buy a festival ticket, if the rest of the line up is not of much interest. I suspect those two gigs are contractually the only dates the band will be playing around that time in those countries or regions. The fact they've announced a few gigs in America already, may be an indication that those dates will be regular concerts with the electric band.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think something's brewing- there was a mysterious tweet on Saturday
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You mean the plus symbol tweet? I saw that, too. Hopefully, there is an album announcement coming.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah that's the one. Hope its an album announcement rather than another one off gig or something
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i read somewhere, can't remeber where unfortuantely- that the album will come out on cmas day 2017 as a download only at first
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The Dr wrote:i read somewhere, can't remeber where unfortuantely- that the album will come out on cmas day 2017 as a download only at first
Assuming you're not joking, that can't be right. Terrible marketing plan.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

TheWarmth wrote:
The Dr wrote:i read somewhere, can't remeber where unfortuantely- that the album will come out on cmas day 2017 as a download only at first
it was breaking news on some music magazine website, can't remeber which as i assumed there would be more information on here!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Maybe it's an album of Christmas covers done in the Spiritualized stylee?

I'm dreaming of a white (line) Christmas
Hot rocks roasting on an open fire
Jingle pills

And other smash hits...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think you must have dreamt it Dr. just had a google search covering the past week and nothing. surely it would be straight on the main music sites if that was announced.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Greeny wrote:Maybe it's an album of Christmas covers done in the Spiritualized stylee?

I'm dreaming of a white (line) Christmas
Hot rocks roasting on an open fire
Jingle pills

And other smash hits...
Well I guess that explains why Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer had a very shiny nose...
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Sleigh With Me
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

At this point, I fear we may not get an album announcement until 2018. Don't suppose anyone has heard anything?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I've heard rumours of the new album name if that helps...

Strong indications are that it is going to be called...

On The Wings of Mercury.

:mrgreen:
artparrot
New user

Post by artparrot »

clewsr wrote:I've heard rumours of the new album name if that helps...

On The Wings of Mercury.

Apologies, I might have missed your gag but...

"NEW SPECTRUM ALBUM INFORMATION

The new Spectrum album has the working title "On the Wings of Mercury" and is going to be released on Space Age Recordings sometime late this year, hopefully. The record is a mix between "Highs Lows and Heavinly Blows" and Spacemen 3's "Perfect Prescription".

Sonic Boom, Alf Hardy, Willie B. Carruthers, Randall Nieman, Rick Maymi and Dean Wareham are involved with the making of this album."

taken from - http://www.sonic-boom.info/spectrum.php
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

yep, that was the intended humor
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

artparrot wrote:

On The Wings of Mercury.

The new Spectrum album has the working title "On the Wings of Mercury" and is going to be released on Space Age Recordings sometime late this year, hopefully. The record is a mix between "Highs Lows and Heavinly Blows" and Spacemen 3's "Perfect Prescription".

Sonic Boom, Alf Hardy, Willie B. Carruthers, Randall Nieman, Rick Maymi and Dean Wareham are involved with the making of this album."

Ha ha ha ha! That must be 5 or 6 years old now. I love the idea of Sonic releasing an LP through Spaceage while simultaneously being involved in a campaign to end all ties with that company w.r.t. Spacemen 3. Not happening any time soon, and certainly not on Spaceage.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The Dr wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:
it was breaking news on some music magazine website, can't remeber which as i assumed there would be more information on here!
Hey if this actually happens it'll certainly make the usual xmas day shenanigans more interesting - but it sounds more like #fakenews than anything else. :?
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

olan wrote:
artparrot wrote:

On The Wings of Mercury.

Ha ha ha ha! That must be 5 or 6 years old now. I love the idea of Sonic releasing an LP through Spaceage while simultaneously being involved in a campaign to end all ties with that company w.r.t. Spacemen 3. Not happening any time soon, and certainly not on Spaceage.
Yes it does show Sonic must have been quite happy with Gerald Spaceage a few years back, no?

The sad thing is I'd really love to hear On the Wings of Mercury. I can't sense whether Sonic has given up on it creatively, or whether he just doesn't think it will sell.

The joke by the way was that each each month / year goes by it feels like both albums are slightly less likely to ever see the light of day. Also, remember that old argument about Jason allegedly nicking the 'head full of shit' line from Sonic? It would be quite super humerous to me if Jason did actually nick the title of Sonic's lost album for the last Spiritualized album.

Sorry for feeling the need to explain my joke.
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

does he have a record label or are they of such little priority that the label goes 'we'll sell a few thousand and get our money back so who cares'? you'd think any serious label would be pissed off with constant delays
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

1+1-1 wrote:does he have a record label or are they of such little priority that the label goes 'we'll sell a few thousand and get our money back so who cares'? you'd think any serious label would be pissed off with constant delays
It was supposed to be coming out on Bella Union, but Spz had disappeared from their site the last time I looked. I tried to ask Simon Raymonde about it at a Lost Horizons' gig but he was being Liz Fasered to death by a Cocteau Twins fan, so I couldn't get a word in edgeways. :cry:
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

olan wrote: It was supposed to be coming out on Bella Union, but Spz had disappeared from their site the last time I looked.:
what do they say about gift horses? the last bunnymen albums solo/band came out on some website where fans could bid for it and also for other things like mcculloch's used underpants or mics etc. it seems to be easy for established bands to slide into label obscurity