do you think spiritualized care about their fans

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

do you think spiritualized care about their fans?

yes
54%
no
29%
I don't know
4%
I don't care
13%

Total votes: 24

1+1-1
Known user

do you think spiritualized care about their fans

Post by 1+1-1 »

just leaving open ended, interpret as you wish
jmb066
Known user

Re: do you think spiritualized care about their fans

Post by jmb066 »

Some updates would be nice, rerelease some of the old albums deluxe editions, live album form L&G shows. So many wasted opportunities for the fans and the band. Some bands or artist don't care about those things others release everything and in some cases release garbage because they know fans will buy it. Two extremes and sadly Spiritualized is on one of those extremes which is frustrating as a fan, do they care? You decide, my vote is no.
Jason Burkett
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I really don't care. It's up to the artist and the way they conduct their own vision.

M
Design.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Personally I don't think an artist's role is to 'care' about their fans. I agree with Modlab, and believe that any artist with true integrity probably has no concept of fans or critics. They just create art. And I can't help but be attracted to that integrity; perhaps somehow there are enough people like me to make being an artist a (just about) survivable business model.

I suppose if you viewed Spiritualized as entertainers, then you may expect some sort of two-way relationship. It then becomes a business model which has to be fed; a very different philosophy (but equally valid - you can't knock the success of bands like Status Quo, and the joy they brought to their fans). But much as I am entertained by them, and excited about the news of a new release/gig etc., I really don't see Spiritualized as entertainers.
Last edited by Spiby on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Jason definitely cares.
However there have been several unfortunate decisions made re: managers and management. Therefore no web presence except this forum and the odd tweet or FB post.
Not sure where the fault lies but he really should let people help when they offer. Many who post here could probably create an amazing band web site. All they would need is a few updates on how the new album is coming along, gig/tour news, anything. Instead we get nothing.
I have spoken to him about the only merchandise available are the bootleggers on ebay, amazon and other online sites. That is leaving a lot of money on the table so to speak. He also had definite ideas on what he wanted in a web site including links to live shows(which is why the forum is now hosted outside of Germany), links to gig posters, flyers, ticket stubs, old tour merchandise, photos. This never evolved outside of the initial conversation.
What Jason needs is a business manager he trusts. That would certainly get things moving in the right direction.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Seemed a very strange idea for a poll at 1st glance. Never gave it much of a though before, maybe I don`t care one way or another, I`ve been a fan for a long time and never felt shortchanged once.

I guess the lack of info in general is at the root of this poll right? I think Spzretent explains that a bit in his post, I`m sure he cares, on reflection I don`t feel uncared for ...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote:Seemed a very strange idea for a poll at 1st glance. Never gave it much of a though before, maybe I don`t care one way or another, I`ve been a fan for a long time and never felt shortchanged once.

I guess the lack of info in general is at the root of this poll right? I think Spzretent explains that a bit in his post, I`m sure he cares, on reflection I don`t feel uncared for ...
I totally agree. I've honestly never given this much thought. I guess I'd like more releases or a bit more contact from the band but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Jason seems like an intensely private person so I would never expect him to be giving updates on what he had for breakfast or posting pics on instagram of him hanging out with his homies
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Strange question to ask as some of you suggested. I've never thought about it either. I mean do other artists / actors stay in touch with their fans ? Can't see Jason doing it as suggested that he is very private. Sonic Boom will talk to anybody these days ...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

jmb066 wrote:Some updates would be nice, rerelease some of the old albums deluxe editions, live album form L&G shows. So many wasted opportunities for the fans and the band. Some bands or artist don't care about those things others release everything and in some cases release garbage because they know fans will buy it. Two extremes and sadly Spiritualized is on one of those extremes which is frustrating as a fan, do they care? You decide, my vote is no.
I'd love a deluxe edition of Let it Come Down. Demos, outtakes etc. Best some of the session recordings are beautiful. I don't think it's such a bad idea for there to be a shop where we could buy shirts, posters etc. There is so much great spiritualized artwork and it would be great to buy some knowing the money is going to those responsible for its creation.

I'm kind of glad he keeps a low profile between albums. When they're touring and have something to announce generally it's fairly easy to find. And he seems to do a fair amount of interviews around an album release, so you can't say he doesn't care. I might be wrong but maybe he doesn't like the amount of time and effort that goes into marketing and promoting the music, and therefore that's why he stays away from more obvious management and struggles to find anyone willing to accommodate just how much of that he is willing to do. I'm sure there's an old interview on YouTube where he says something to that degree.

I find that regular updates from artists on their new material can sometimes have the opposite effect and by the time a record comes out your expectations don't match what you hear or worse, by release date your anticipation has waned to some degree. The band has prereleased the best songs off the album and all you are left with is about seven songs not as good as the previewed tracks. I'm excited by this new spiritualized album because it's been years in the making and we've no idea how it might sound. I doubt he'll be dropping too many songs before the actual album either, which suits me just fine.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

heisenberg wrote:
I'm kind of glad he keeps a low profile between albums. When they're touring and have something to announce generally it's fairly easy to find. And he seems to do a fair amount of interviews around an album release, so you can't say he doesn't care. I might be wrong but maybe he doesn't like the amount of time and effort that goes into marketing and promoting the music, and therefore that's why he stays away from more obvious management and struggles to find anyone willing to accommodate just how much of that he is willing to do. I'm sure there's an old interview on YouTube where he says something to that degree.
None of his records have ever been marketed in the UK. The US record companies tried. When LAGWAFIS came out Jason told me there were more of the UK 5 piece subway poster sets in the US than in the UK. He said there was one set put up in London and one in Manchester. That was it for the UK. Yet at all the early shows in the US there was a competition for a set. Kind of insane if you think about it.
There has never really anything in the way of marketing done for any release. Period. Except for interviews.
I think the deluxe treatment would be a great idea except for LAG which was already done. There should be live links for most shows.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

spzretent wrote:
heisenberg wrote:
None of his records have ever been marketed in the UK. The US record companies tried. When LAGWAFIS came out Jason told me there were more of the UK 5 piece subway poster sets in the US than in the UK. He said there was one set put up in London and one in Manchester. That was it for the UK. Yet at all the early shows in the US there was a competition for a set. Kind of insane if you think about it.
There has never really anything in the way of marketing done for any release. Period. Except for interviews.
I think the deluxe treatment would be a great idea except for LAG which was already done. There should be live links for most shows.
Wow, that's amazing to find out about the lack of L&G promo in the U.K. Despite this, it managed to make the top 5 in the U.K. charts.

I remember when Amazing Grace came out, a small pub/nightclub in my town one night gave away some promo items for the album such as lighters, candles and the single. To this day I still don't get why someone showed up giving out Spiritualized promo stuff at crappy nightclub which mostly played pop music and had zero rock credentials despite hosting a 'band' night once a week. The club never hosted promo nights like this so it was super strange it was for one of my favourite bands. I think I still have the candle and lighter. Definitely the most random example of promo I've seen I think. If only they'd showed up and played to save me from whatever dross was likely playing.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I’d imagine there’s some gratefulness.
Tbh the insouciance is part of the charm.

The guy has brought me plenty of joy. I’ve no way of determining the sincerity, I don’t regard it as an issue. On a base level he provides entertainment & I pay him for his effort, what more do you need?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

spzretent wrote:
However there have been several unfortunate decisions made re: managers and management. Therefore no web presence except this forum and the odd tweet or FB post.
Not sure where the fault lies but he really should let people help when they offer... This never evolved outside of the initial conversation.
What Jason needs is a business manager he trusts. That would certainly get things moving in the right direction.
This is interesting, though probably not fit for public consumption. Certainly on reflection it seems plausible for explaining the career trajectory.

Fwiw Radio 6 were playing Soul on Fire this morning. They play them quite often from what I hear, but also seem destined to slink into that elusive field of “lost” bands/artists, consigned to being a footnote in rock n rolls history..??
I hope he doesn’t retire tho. That would be the only real disappointment for me. I, hoping he’s still going at 70+, still sitting down. Obv if his health holds out. I’d like the chance to share the spz experience with my family,
gonna burn brightly
for a while
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I have held back way more info that came from conversations between Jason & I. Believe me.
What I did post fans should know.
Not sure if Jason still peruses this forum or not but what I posted is 100% the truth.
There are plenty of folks who would love to help.
It is just getting the two parties together to discuss web site ideas and future marketing ideas.
My hope is Jason is willing to listen to ideas to help him flesh out the whole merchandise, marketing, web presence to maximize profit and keeping him going.
None of us want this to be the last record.