Revolution cover...

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

runcible
Site Admin

Revolution cover...

Post by runcible »

I don't know these guys but Roadburn is a cool festival by all accounts. A tad stoner rock but really nice people involved and the 013 in Tilburg is a great venue..

Pharoah Overlord are from Finland and connected to drone loopers Circle I'm told.

http://www.roadburn.com/?p=14910
sunray
Known user

Re: Revolution cover...

Post by sunray »

Pharaoh Overlord again. This time off their upcoming album Zero: https://soundcloud.com/ektrorecords/pha ... revolution
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
wilder
New user

Post by wilder »

I'm a little loopy this morning but it sounds like he is burping the lyrics.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

wilder wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:13 pm I'm a little loopy this morning but it sounds like he is burping the lyrics.
There is a touch of Yoda/Fozzie Bear going on too. The music is OK, the vox are pure comedy gold.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

olan wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 pm
wilder wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:13 pm I'm a little loopy this morning but it sounds like he is burping the lyrics.
There is a touch of Yoda/Fozzie Bear going on too. The music is OK, the vox are pure comedy gold.
it's often the way isn't it? a lot of metal music is badass musically, then the vocals come in and it's risible.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm
olan wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:27 pm
it's often the way isn't it? a lot of metal music is badass musically, then the vocals come in and it's risible.
Yep. I think that's way I enjoyed Monolord so much recently, their vocals were normal rock style swathed in echo. UFOMammut were right up against the edge of Metal when I saw them live but retained a typical rock vocal which kept them within the realms of Heavy Psych.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm Yep. I think that's way I enjoyed Monolord so much recently, their vocals were normal rock style swathed in echo. UFOMammut were right up against the edge of Metal when I saw them live but retained a typical rock vocal which kept them within the realms of Heavy Psych.
exactly. it's a bit of a grey area sometimes where metal meets stoner rock or heavy psych.
would like some more recommendations along these lines if possible..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm
sunray wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm Yep. I think that's way I enjoyed Monolord so much recently, their vocals were normal rock style swathed in echo. UFOMammut were right up against the edge of Metal when I saw them live but retained a typical rock vocal which kept them within the realms of Heavy Psych.
exactly. it's a bit of a grey area sometimes where metal meets stoner rock or heavy psych.
would like some more recommendations along these lines if possible..
I'll give it a go John but i'm no expert in this field, just have a casual interest really.

These kind of bands essentially operate within a Stoner/Sludge/Doom axis with elements of Post-rock, Prog and Psych but this might only amount to something as simple as a chord change or effect that makes you think "Oh, a bit Proggy there". Needless to say they all love a BIG RIFF.

Vocals range from rock to cookie monster. Unfortunately the rock vocal can too often veer into RAWK territory :roll:

I think all these bands would be greatly improved if they adopted a Dave Wyndorf from Monster Magnet or the dude from Pigsx7 vocal style. Or even Robert Hampson from Loop.

Slomatics: Very sludgey with a more rock vocal.
Dopelord: Stoner / Doom w/rock vocal.
Dopethrone: Named after an Electric Wizard album. Very heavy Sludge / Doom but the singer opts more for a screechy Black Metal style. If you can get past the vocals the music really hits the spot. Playing Birmingham at the end of the month.
Bongripper: Instrumental Doom.
Motherplant: Stoner Doom w/ plenty of Psych influence.
Old Red Skin: Instrumental Stoner.
Weeed: Describe themselves as Hippie Metal! Definitely more of a Heavy Psych vibe here and not so much vocals.
Also try out the bands in initial post: UFOMammut and Monolord.

As with all Stoner or Doom based bands it can get a bit samey but I find dropping in just occasionally can really blast away the cobwebs!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the tips Joycey I think some bandcamp listening is in order this weekend!