"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bytrevor
New user

Re: New Spiritualized Album - 2018

Post by bytrevor »

what if the new lp is

.--. .-. --- -.. ..- -.-. . -.. / -... -.-- / ... --- -. .. -.-. / -... --- --- --
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:02 pm
mojo filters wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm On the last album there were some lovely mellow compositions. Unfortunately there also was that real clanger Won't Get To Heaven, with such dreary, trite and unimaginative lyrics bolted on to an offensively generic tune!
Are you thinking of "So Long You Pretty Thing"?
Certainly not, that's a stone cold epic finale. It didn't sound too good with just the electric band on later dates of the SHSL tour, but both the recorded and live RAH versions made it probably my favourite from the last album!

I was talking about the song that begins Jesus Won't You Be My Radio, which I remember hearing live on the A&E tour (plus I think it was played at some of the last Acoustic Mainlines gigs).

Whilst it was nice we got to hear a new song, that was a real disappointment. The lyrics made me cringe - it could have been a parody of Spaceman tropes. The tune was predictable and insipid, but I hoped it would be improved over time.

To be fair - the last album was so good, I can easily overlook one weak track.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Life Is A Problem" is the track you're talking about, then. "Won't Get To Heaven" is on LICD. Although, I understand the confusion because the chorus of "Life" includes the line, "I won't get to heaven." Spaceman certainly doesn't hesitate to recycle phrases.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They just posted another title. I think it's "On The Sunshine".
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

You got here a minute before me. I concur - "On The Sunshine" :)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

For all those in Scotland enjoying the almost endless sunny days at the moment:

'Mon The Sunshine!
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

One we haven't heard?! (Unless A or D Song have a new name....)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Kills me that the orange from the site and video are off.

Anyway — Exciting times.
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

MODLAB wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:04 pm Kills me that the orange from the site and video are off.

Anyway — Exciting times.
:lol:
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Really looking forward to this. I've avoided listening to any of the bootleg recordings of the new tunes so this will be something almost completely new for me.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

bytrevor wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:33 pm what if the new lp is

.--. .-. --- -.. ..- -.-. . -.. / -... -.-- / ... --- -. .. -.-. / -... --- --- --
Haha
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

TheWarmth wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm "Life Is A Problem" is the track you're talking about, then. "Won't Get To Heaven" is on LICD. Although, I understand the confusion because the chorus of "Life" includes the line, "I won't get to heaven." Spaceman certainly doesn't hesitate to recycle phrases.
I seem to be in the minority but I really loved this track, and wanted it to be more "full on" and extended. It grew too late on in, but in essence I though it was really good!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

isn't it telling that many of us aren't that keen on some of the weaker tracks from recent albums- but we can't decide exactly what those weaker tracks are. your mileage may vary and all that.

I used to really like Songs in A&E but my opinion on it has soured a bit in recent years. there's some key songs there I really love, but as a whole it's a bit unconvincing.

SHSL on the other hand- I don't have much complaint about the actual songs on this album, even the poppier ones definitely float my boat. it's the production that's a bit lacking. why have the last records been so damn dry sounding? I'm not saying that he needs to go back the Lazer Guided sound or anything, but he needs to find that reverb button again!

hot take incoming- Amazing Grace is probably my least favourite in terms of a selection of songs, but I think its production is more enjoyable than either A&E or SHSL.

mojo filters wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm I really liked some of the mellow tracks on A&E, where it seemed like the rockier attempts veered more towards going through the Spiritualized motions there.

that's a really good point. a lot of people don't sound that keen on the ballads but if anything, it was the rockers on A&E that were the really formulaic, phoned in ones. I Gotta Fire is a contender for one of the worst songs the band has ever done, Yeah Yeah is okay.. but barely a song really. You Lie You Cheat on the other hand is superb and was a storming opener on that tour.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 pmI'm not saying that he needs to go back the Lazer Guided sound or anything...
...but it would be nice :D
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I really dig 'yeah yeah'!!
"Thank you"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Dreamweapon: I like "Life Is A Problem," too. In fact, I like all of the ballads from SHSL.

The production is definitely an issue with that record, though, and it drags down the heavier tracks. Even "Hey Jane," to me, just doesn't sound great. The ballads have a little more breathing room.

I really hope that "Always Forgetting With You" is an indication of the production value of the new album. I love that song.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

Bloody hell, having read some of these comments I hope he doesn't release an album, it is already being panned. And in terms of spz by numbers...most people here would wet their pants in 5 different t ways if spacemen 3 released a new spaceman by numbers album...

With all of the delays the Morse code, whilst novel, is getting irritating. I'm looking forward to the last one being only fools rush in: new album 2025.

Cheer up folk!
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

The Dr wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm
With all of the delays the Morse code, whilst novel, is getting irritating.
Definitely needs more reverb. Or phasing. Or strings etc :lol:
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

DAMAGED
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Ooh, a snippet of video at the end of tonight's..

I can’t read morse though
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

I suspect it's a bit much to hope for, but my fingers are crossed for a big reduction in the strings and gospel choir content. Phasing, tremelo and reverb optional but very welcome ;)

I've been a bit down on Spz since SHSL - for me, it really didn't age well, for both production and songwriting reasons - but I haven't really listened to the new live songs much and I'm always going to look forward to a new J record. "Always Forgetting With You" was a beautiful piece of music behind the trite, Spz-by-numbers lyrics, and the Kenzo instrumentals were both stunning.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Aside: I also like "Life Is A Problem", despite the lyrics - the tune is lovely :) It's the likes of "Little Girl", "Freedom" and "Mary" that stick in my craw as uninspiring, rote album tracks. I'm also with those who think the ballads on A&E work better than the rockers (save for YLYC, which is brilliant both on record and live...)
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:35 am
TheWarmth wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm "Life Is A Problem" is the track you're talking about, then. "Won't Get To Heaven" is on LICD. Although, I understand the confusion because the chorus of "Life" includes the line, "I won't get to heaven." Spaceman certainly doesn't hesitate to recycle phrases.
I seem to be in the minority but I really loved this track, and wanted it to be more "full on" and extended. It grew too late on in, but in essence I though it was really good!
Nah I’ve always liked it, tuning in on an old radio to hear the gospel late on a Mississippi Sunday evening in the 1930s.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

mc wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm the Kenzo instrumentals were both stunning.
A proper release of both of those would be marvellous. Perhaps as bonus tracks on a deluxe version....... :roll:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The new clip has revealed some nasty guitar.

M
Design.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

I assume there will be a further week of this and then, once everybody is whipped up into a frenzy, it would make sense to then release the album next Friday. Could that happen without any release dates being advertised by shops/ media/ etc..?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

It can (and I wouldn't rule it out), but I think that if the album is released next week then it's more likely to be a digital release with pre-orders open for the physical album to ship when it's ready.
Oasis22
New user

Post by Oasis22 »

mkb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm It can (and I wouldn't rule it out), but I think that if the album is released next week then it's more likely to be a digital release with pre-orders open for the physical album to ship when it's ready.
I agree. Would love this to happen. Let us download and order a special edition box set of the album next Friday June 15! That would be awesome.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Oasis22 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:40 pm
mkb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm It can (and I wouldn't rule it out), but I think that if the album is released next week then it's more likely to be a digital release with pre-orders open for the physical album to ship when it's ready.
I agree. Would love this to happen. Let us download and order a special edition box set of the album next Friday June 15! That would be awesome.
Yes, this!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

THE MORNING AFTER

More footage. Someone, presumably J., in astronaut/space suit. Orange semi truck and inflatable dinosaur in the background. A bit of organ and repeat percussion guitar going on.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

reminds me of the Metal Dinosaurs outside 29 Palms...maybe shot during the Desert Daze 2017 appearance... juiced!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I’m loving these teaser videos. A bit of mystery and delayed gratification in these days of instant everything is to be encouraged. Plus rock and roll needs a bit of mystery.

Given the time it’s taken and the re-recording of vocals and tracks I have a feeling this is going to be a very special record.
Last edited by simonkeeping on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

very well put, simonkeeping!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I must admit the opening salvo of song titles dampened my enthusiasm a bit, going on the versions from years ago. However, those video teasers have given me cause for optimism once again.

Who knows, this time next week we may well be discussing the album in depth :)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

The audio/video in the new teaser has really grabbed me. How amazing do those chords and the repeater sound? Sounds quite full-on, the marriage of aggressive noise and melancholy ambience typical of their excellent BBC recordings throughout the years. And the space suit is out! That's when you know he means business.

I'm already imagining a massive, beautiful album that's going to cover so much ground. Can't wait!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

heisenberg wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:33 pmAnd the space suit is out! That's when you know he means business.
: )
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

New one's up...."The Prize"
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Oh man, the video clips are getting weird.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

simonkeeping wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:46 pm I’m loving these teaser videos. A bit of mystery and delayed gratification in these days of instant everything is to be encouraged. Plus rock and roll needs a bit of mystery.

Given the time it’s taken and the re-recording of vocals and tracks I have a feeling this is going to be a very special record.
It's certainly gonna be that at least. The past 6+ years have been eventful enough.

"Jesus please be my bullet and gun
Shoot all the sinners down, every one
Kill all my demons and that will be fine
But I will be reloading all the time..."

I dunno. I'm probably sad and fucked and possibly unusual even here: but I have lived lots of my life - the best parts, and the worst - through this stuff and to this day Spiritualized remains my favourite music. There's something about the level of extreme detail, the euphoric/comedown avalanche of emotions and the insane WL/WH & SH/SL thing they do better than anybody else.
O P 8
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listed to SHSL a few times recently and "So Long You Pretty Thing" is incredible. I found myself getting a bit emotional over it. Powerful track.
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

From the videos, i can hear that he brought back the old Vox Starstream V269 Guitar. That guitar sound was a signature key sound of "Spacemen 3".
I haven't heard that guitar on any Spiritualized albums since Pure Phase... That makes me way more excited!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWC1uzg-Yr0 - jump to 1:50 and you'll see what i mean

Bring on the new record! i need a fix!
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

new one is out. i love this every day anticipation thing and then getting the notifications! spaceman playing guitar in the desert. can anyone translate the code?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Sail on Through
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 am I listed to SHSL a few times recently and "So Long You Pretty Thing" is incredible. I found myself getting a bit emotional over it. Powerful track.
I've always found that epic track similarly affecting! It really took my breath away, when it closed the unveiling of the last album at the RAH. I was curious as to whether the recording would manage to capture the same effect.

I was not disappointed. The album version manages to keep the same widescreen sonic landscape, from the beautiful fragility of the opening lines, right through to the huge deluge of the increasingly massive repetition following the first "So long you pretty thing..." lyric - with each subsequent part increasing the musical complexity of the dramatic descending melodies that Jason uses to such amazing effect.

Possibly the best and most devastatingly dramatic, dynamic and uplifting epic finale to any Spiritualized album ever recorded!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mojo filters wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm Possibly the best and most devastatingly dramatic, dynamic and uplifting epic finale to any Spiritualized album ever recorded!
More so than Kate mumbling "200"?

These teaser clips keep reminding me of the Electricity video and its bleached out desert scenes.

From the song titles (and what we know of their original incarnations) and brief musical snippets I suspect the album is going to be quite similar to SHSL. Perhaps four spacier/noisier tunes, a couple of okayish songs and three or four ballad types that I won't like at all.
Merely speculation of course and just me airing my thoughts.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

sunray wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:12 pm

These teaser clips keep reminding me of the Electricity video and its bleached out desert scenes.

Yep. Really similar
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

New track Lauren Laverne Radio 6 10 am, just been announced. A perfect miracle
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

TheWarmth wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 am I listed to SHSL a few times recently and "So Long You Pretty Thing" is incredible. I found myself getting a bit emotional over it. Powerful track.
My best friend has a daughter who is stateside, while he is home in Scotland. She is his world and the love he has for her is beautiful. Unfortunately, he gets to see her (in person) once a year if he is lucky. As a father, i can only imagine the euphoria/pain he goes through every time she comes/leaves.
Every time i hear this song, i think of him and it hits hard. Would be lying if i said it hasn't wet the eyes on occasion... but that finale, for me, totally represents the love he has for her and that, no matter what, that WILL see him through.

Thats the power of that song. One of my favs.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

New song soon. :shock:
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Come on and play it already!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Have I missed it??
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

No! Have a feeling it will be after Little Fluffy Clouds.

;)

EDIT: I was wrong.
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Cool, thanks
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Website's down...

THIS COULD BE IT....!
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Lauren has just said it's coming after this Goat track...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Right after this song by Goat.

Exciting.

:)
Design.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

so good...

Announcement at 2pm on the site...
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Very good.

:)
Design.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Timeline says it's "I'm your man" and label as Bella Union...
Last edited by Jasonsmith on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Yes, that was very nice indeed :)

(I enjoyed that Gruff Rhys track earlier, too. Might have to look into that album...)
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Sounded really good. Excitement for 14.00 hrs . :D
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

mc wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:55 pm Yes, that was very nice indeed :)

(I enjoyed that Gruff Rhys track earlier, too. Might have to look into that album...)
Had exactly the same thought 8)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

So was it "Perfect Miracle" or "I'm Your Man" that aired today? Can we stream it? I don't see it on Spotify.

Also, the Gruff album is incredible. Easily my favorite album of the year so far. Definitely worth looking into.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

No it was I'm your man. No streaming options unless you can access BBC iPlayer to listen to the show again.

The might be something in half an hour though!