"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

mywhitenoise
Known user

Re: New Spiritualized Album - 2018

Post by mywhitenoise »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm it's also in the live compilation of the new songs that Bza put together and remastered- off the top of my head not sure if that's also the Chicago one or not
Is this compilation still up?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Tickets are Available now for London direct from spiritualized.com - only thing is you don’t get to pick your seat. Not sure whether to wait until tomorrow or take a lucky dip now?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm it's also in the live compilation of the new songs that Bza put together and remastered- off the top of my head not sure if that's also the Chicago one or not.

A Song and D Song have to be there surely? Jason doesn't seem to have songs coming out of his ears.
The blurb seems to say that On The Sunshine is a raucous song so that could be the former?

another mystery- what's the song snippet at the beginning of the I'm Your Man video. another of the new tunes?
i hope this works

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nhNM_ ... gmhlcMcPE8
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

tav falco wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:12 am
angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm it's also in the live compilation of the new songs that Bza put together and remastered- off the top of my head not sure if that's also the Chicago one or not.

A Song and D Song have to be there surely? Jason doesn't seem to have songs coming out of his ears.
The blurb seems to say that On The Sunshine is a raucous song so that could be the former?

another mystery- what's the song snippet at the beginning of the I'm Your Man video. another of the new tunes?
i hope this works

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nhNM_ ... gmhlcMcPE8
Thanks for this.

Is there info out there from where these are taken? I looked for the original thread/post but could not find it.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sm-iom wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm This article covers off quite a few of the video references:

https://reverb.com/news/spiritualized-j ... m-your-man
I noticed what appears to be the cover of Amazing Grace on his lanyard/ID badge hanging from the car's rear view mirror...

Would have been nice if there was a wee LGM or PP reference in there too... :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Morning After is pretty cool. Not how I remember it at all, had it in my head that is was a ballad! :oops: Real Velvets / The Feelies vibe to it. Very similar to D Song too.
Laz69 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am I noticed what appears to be the cover of Amazing Grace on his lanyard/ID badge hanging from the car's rear view mirror...
Excellent spot. All i noticed was the obvious Hank, Gram, Elvis, Link Wray ones.

I think FMSpaceman could well be right about the "Ginger Kid" Spaceman. My parents should've named me that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Vancouver wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 am
Is there info out there from where these are taken? I looked for the original thread/post but could not find it.
I can't remember if I encoded the info on each track or if there was a .doc attached to the zip but will check after work - I can say the majority of tracks were taken from 2-3 of the US 2013 shows.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the pic of the monkey- is that the first monkey in space or something? would be a very Jason reference to include.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm
Vancouver wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 am
I can't remember if I encoded the info on each track or if there was a .doc attached to the zip but will check after work - I can say the majority of tracks were taken from 2-3 of the US 2013 shows.
Couldn’t see anything in the files. Thanks for checking but no worries if it’s a bother. I’ll survive lol. Thanks for all your efforts! Much appreciated.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

Good to hear how some of the songs have progressed from a raw version to nearly getting released...reminds me of the LAGMWAFIS collection of demos
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Wish we’d got the 20min version of I Gotta Fire to serve to the doubters.. that track is the most fun house thing j has ever done. Love it.

Really like the relaunch. He’s my man.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

jack white wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:36 pm Wish we’d got the 20min version of I Gotta Fire to serve to the doubters.. that track is the most fun house thing j has ever done.
Have never heard this -- can a kind soul please upload it?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by BzaInSpace »

Does that even exist? I remember being told that Steve Lamacq interviewed Jason around Amazing Grace era and he said there was a 20 minute take of 'This Little Life Of Mine'...

Veiko?

Good on you Jack and nice to see you here again!
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:52 pm the pic of the monkey- is that the first monkey in space or something? would be a very Jason reference to include.
It's Sam, who was part of NASA's space launch program. Not sure really why, but he seems to be the only 'space monkey' that is really remembered. I think he didn't actually go to space, but went to the edge of the atmosphere and then an escape pod was launched.

According to this video, he survived: https://youtu.be/Ku2g-BUR6jo

Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Testing the Biological Effects of Space Travel
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I haven't seen anyone mention it in this thread, so I thought I should tell you all what I know about this video, just in case you want to take a Spiritualized Music Video Pilgrimage in the future.

What's funny about this video is that I go to all these spots at least once a year (actually did most of them with James T earlier this year). Almost all the scenes from the video were shot in and around Joshua Tree National Park in Southern California, about 90 minutes east of Los Angeles. There's definitely some mysticism and cosmic energy to the place, so you get a good combination of American desert cowboys and hippies. The park itself is absolutely beautiful and I highly recommend a visit for anyone who gets the chance. Some parts of the "Electricity" music video are shot there too.

The little shrine he leaves a rose at is Gram Parson's at the Joshua Tree Inn. It's right outside of the room he died in, which you can still stay in - which I've done several times. It's got a nice, comfortable bed so I haven't been visited by his ghost or anything haha. The parking lot he pulls into, checks in at, and stays in isn't actually the same place though.

At the end of the video, he's at the Cabazon dinosaurs. It's a nice little pit stop near an In-N-Out (legendary burgers) on the way to/from Joshua Tree. They've been featured several times in films and TV shows. The most famous I can think of is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Haha.

The scenes with the ocean in the background and him laying down à la "Do it All Over Again," I think are at Moonfire Ranch, which is in between Malibu and Santa Monica, just west of LA. It's another cosmic southern california location where Hendrix, Morrison, and Manson Family stayed. Here a little video about it: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 3788623550

All of this must have been shot last October when he played the Desert Daze festival, which is a few miles away from Joshua Tree.

(Sorry. Too much detail. New Spiritualized material gets me all worked up.)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

and holy shit here's a HORRIBLE video of Moonfire Ranch: http://www.moonfireranch.com/story/
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Picture this...

Driving in the car and Perfect Miracle comes on. Wife starts staring at the stereo with a weird look on her face.

"Whats wrong?"
"Thats... thats... thats THAT song,!!!"
"What song...?:
"THAT SONG!!!!!"
"What the fuck are you talking about?!?"

Cue 5mins of Youtube searching.

"THIS song!!!"

https://youtu.be/nhvV2asFju4

Gotta say.... shes not far wrong!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
!!! S P O I L E R A L E R T !!!

New album lyrics and credits (partial)

Stonedutch
Known user

Post by Stonedutch »

Laz69 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:25 pm Picture this...

Driving in the car and Perfect Miracle comes on. Wife starts staring at the stereo with a weird look on her face.

"Whats wrong?"
"Thats... thats... thats THAT song,!!!"
"What song...?:
"THAT SONG!!!!!"
"What the fuck are you talking about?!?"

Cue 5mins of Youtube searching.

"THIS song!!!"

https://youtu.be/nhvV2asFju4

Gotta say.... shes not far wrong!
There was also a song by another that was similar to parts of Hey Jane that was posted here around the time of SHSL's release - forget who it was and the title of the tune, but if memory serves the similarities were pretty clear. Perhaps someone here remembers it?
"Where I stand is only three miles from space ..."
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

jesus son wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:34 pm ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
!!! S P O I L E R A L E R T !!!

New album lyrics and credits (partial)

Where did you find that gold? Amazing!
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:47 pm Does that even exist? I remember being told that Steve Lamacq interviewed Jason around Amazing Grace era and he said there was a 20 minute take of 'This Little Life Of Mine'...
That's correct. In 2003 Jason told in a radio interview that "This little life of mine" is just fade-out version that was released on "Amazing grace". He told there that it was 20 minutes long take. Well... hard to say, right? Maybe the band just got into time bubble while jamming that tune and he "felt" like it was 20 minutes. I did check at least one Lamacq interview right now, but that was not that. I guess i still have that interview and can prove it, just need to find it.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

There is always hope that there will be singles from that album, so maybe there will be more than 9 songs altogether? But then again i was also happy with instrumental version of "I am what i am".
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm another mystery- what's the song snippet at the beginning of the I'm Your Man video. another of the new tunes?
Looking at the lyric sheet it seems to be Damaged :D
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Has anyone else noticed the websites linking to a download of this album title, but with a totally different tracklist of supposedly instrumental tracks, with titles I've never heard?

All the sites linked to the same download site, which requires free registration. I couldn't be bothered to even use a burner email account - since it all looked so sketchy!

I am curious as to why someone went to the effort of inventing fake Spiritualized song titles, when they could just use the real ones for a scam?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

Seems to be the last 9 tracks from this album.

https://www.discogs.com/Border-Crossing ... se/1021509

These sites just seem to auto populate new album data, as well as ebooks - almost certainly no album behind the link, just an attempt to get malware onto your computer.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Jasonsmith wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm
angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm another mystery- what's the song snippet at the beginning of the I'm Your Man video. another of the new tunes?
Looking at the lyric sheet it seems to be Damaged :D
well spotted. another ballad then :)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone read through the lyrics to do the "Jesus" / "Lord" count? I wonder if he has moved past that.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

TheWarmth wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:38 pm Has anyone read through the lyrics to do the "Jesus" / "Lord" count? I wonder if he has moved past that.
Add "fire" and "soul". But please no, lets stop mocking.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not mocking. Just curious if he has moved away from the vocabulary that he has relied on so heavily in the past.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

TheWarmth wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:00 pm I'm not mocking. Just curious if he has moved away from the vocabulary that he has relied on so heavily in the past.
No worries. I also smirk inside about "some" certain recurring themes in Jason's space dictionary. Someone will do the counting anyway, i just do not want it to get out of hands. He has his own mind, so lets not get ugly by pointing at the obvious.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Good to see he's still writing lyrics about Jane.

Whatever else Pitchfork might be, I really love this quote from their SH/SL review (2012):

"He's still singing his own rock'n'roll gospel: Jesus, fast cars, girls named Jane and Mary, pimps, death, fire, freedom, and God all show up, giving life to Pierce's alternate-universe Eden, inhabited by Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, self-loathing, and a dirty syringe."
O P 8
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

Where is the information regarding J&J split? Is it a recent split?
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

FM Spaceman wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm May I Just Say That I Think The Promo Video To "I'm Your Man" Is Really Really Beautiful ...
I agree. I think it's an absolutely fantastic video.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

is this Jason's version of the Velvets third album maybe? 'The Ballad Record'

the video has grown on me a lot. it's got a desolate feel that adds to the song.

seems to be a minimum and Jesus and Lords this time from a quick look at that lyric sheet. I think it's pretty cool to write about Jane again though. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. characters reoccuring in songs.

toomilk wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:08 pm
At the end of the video, he's at the Cabazon dinosaurs. It's a nice little pit stop near an In-N-Out (legendary burgers) on the way to/from Joshua Tree. They've been featured several times in films and TV shows. The most famous I can think of is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Haha.
I did think those dinosaurs looked familiar. (I'm sure I saw it in something much cooler than a Pee Wee Herman movie though.. honest! ;) ). it looks nice and kinda kitsch
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I think I'll pre-order the standard black one on Amazon.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I wonder if we will find out what happened with the Youth situation and if that version of the album still exists. Looking back through this thread back then there was talk of 18 tracks and Doggen's interview seems to suggest he thought that version of the album was complete. Seems like a long time ago now!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Interesting rolling stone interview from 5 years ago about plans for the new album 'I have good intentions...'

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... r-20130422

I assume that the new band of Americans from about that time have moved only and weren't involved in the recording of the new album? A shame really, I thought that line up sounded really fresh and exciting.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I heard Spiritualized on the radio for the first time ever today. It was Perfect Miracle playing on the college radio station.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hank Williams `bobblehead` at the start of the video, readily available on line if that`s your bag,
Last edited by niamhm on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

clewsr wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:49 am Interesting rolling stone interview from 5 years ago about plans for the new album 'I have good intentions...'

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news ... r-20130422

I assume that the new band of Americans from about that time have moved only and weren't involved in the recording of the new album? A shame really, I thought that line up sounded really fresh and exciting.
yeah looking at the credits from that pic above, James Stelfox is on bass and can't see Kid Millions in there? so looks like the UK band
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Has anyone remarked yet that 'A Perfect Miracle' sounds like Dean & Britta's 'The Sun Is Still Sunny'?

The evidence, m'lud: https://youtu.be/nhvV2asFju4
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Starfish wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:00 am Has anyone remarked yet that 'A Perfect Miracle' sounds like Dean & Britta's 'The Sun Is Still Sunny'?

The evidence, m'lud: https://youtu.be/nhvV2asFju4
Yeah, someone's wife made the connection on the previous page.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Ha! Yep, so they did. Thanks toomilk (and Laz69) - I shoulda done my research first!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very brief mention of the new record in the latest issue of Uncut ("on the office stereo this month")- they mentioned it as being orchestral ballads so I really do think this is the ballad album!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Starfish wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am Ha! Yep, so they did. Thanks toomilk (and Laz69) - I shoulda done my research first!
Yeah, my missus jumped on that the first time she heard it. I was playing both for a mate on Saturday night and he picked up on the bassline similarities. Although, on the plus side, he is now digging Dean & Britta!
Alistair
Known user

Post by Alistair »

There's a double page spread in the new edition of Q (No.389, September 2018, Christine & The Queens on the cover). Interview about recording the album. Haven't got a scanner unfortunately otherwise I'd post it!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go" is available to stream now.
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

Really liking it!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Nothing shocking or new, but it's great to finally hear a studio version of this song!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Love it, some real nice touches in there, my fav of the 3 new track so far I think, just.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
O P 8
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Yep, those strings are a work of genius. Is that whistling I hear too? So much beauty. I still can’t fathom how he managed to create this on a laptop?

I don’t want him to stop making spiritualized albums ever.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Funny that Holmfirth gig that this is what he was hearing (& that he pulled it off).

Love it. Let it flow.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Am I the only one who prefers the stripped down live version of Here It Comes, than the more bombastic recorded version? :(
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

sublow wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am Am I the only one who prefers the stripped down live version of Here It Comes, than the more bombastic recorded version? :(
No
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's okay but not really exciting me that much. I will keep listening- might be a grower.

there's a little tremolo sound buried in there (keyboard, or guitar?) that reminds me of something else from the Spaceman canon but I can't remember what it is.

the production certainly seems better on this album compared to SHSL. it's much warmer.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

the tremolo sounds great!

I do love the more emotive lyric delivery of the live versions we were treated to a few years ago. So these 2 songs make more sense to me if I think of them as instrumentals, with the vocals woven in for rhythm, and the whole pieces as lovely immersive things.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The tremolo sound is repeat percussion and has been used on numerous S3 and Spiritualized tracks. Definitely a classic Spaceman sound. I think that circuit is built into the Vox Starstreamer guitar that they used to use in S3. Not sure what Pierce uses these days, but there are a number of pedal builders that make them.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Jasonsmith wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am
sublow wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am Am I the only one who prefers the stripped down live version of Here It Comes, than the more bombastic recorded version? :(
No
There's one live version out there that I think is perfection (I can link to it later), but I predict I'll always be able to listen to and enjoy this album version.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:45 pm The tremolo sound is repeat percussion and has been used on numerous S3 and Spiritualized tracks. Definitely a classic Spaceman sound. I think that circuit is built into the Vox Starstreamer guitar that they used to use in S3. Not sure what Pierce uses these days, but there are a number of pedal builders that make them.
ah great, yeah that's the one! it was integral to a lot of the Spacemen sound, and I'm sure you can also hear it in LGM, Pure Phase and some of the live stuff from that particular era.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I read the piece in Q, it's quite good. couple of pics of J sitting in the studio

although I do have access to a scanner, I didn't want to buy the whole mag for this one article! key bits I can remember:

John Cale was also considered as producer at one point (similar time as Tony Visconti was mooted)

he again gave the impression that the time with Youth was not a pleasurable one.

he wanted to make an album which reflected getting older, rather than bands who "try to sound like they did when they were 30"

he also said that he had tried to make the songs weirder (sessions with some of his Cafe Oto improv chums- including Charles Hayward from This Heat- man I'd love to hear that session!) but it didn't sound right. "you can give it a weird time signature but it doesn't make it good"
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

"Here it comes (The Road) Let's go" is streaming on Spotify. A warm Country ballad. Nice.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

throb wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm "Here it comes (The Road) Let's go" is streaming on Spotify. A warm Country ballad. Nice.
Nasty sax though.
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

I'm loving it all. I am a total tart.

Reading the Q article, it is quite extraordinary that the strings have been built from samples. Such lush production; right up my street.

It did remind me of that bit on the sleeve notes of Feel So Sad where it is made clear that the recording was made entirely of original material and not pieced together using samples of other people's work. I'd probably have had a problem with sampling back then, but if the result is as beautiful as we're hearing now then it's fine by me.

I remember the day I bought Feel So Sad. I was getting the train to Uni each day at the time and for whatever reason felt the need to buy it ASAP, i.e. the beginning of the day, which then meant I had to avoid it getting broken for the whole of the rest of the day. When I went into the record shop, the owner was full of how great the new single was, and offered to play it to me there and then (before the days of stuff streaming yonks before release), all 13 or so minutes of it. Another customer came into the shop and was politely asked to wait until we'd finished listening. Beautiful. What a day.

p.s. Jack White - where did you hear that the Holmfirth version was what he was after?