"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by TheWarmth »

Oh wow ... he confirmed in the Q article that the strings are all made up of samples? That fucking crazy. I feel like recently he said that he did record a lot in the studio whenever he needed to put something down that he couldn't record at home, so I figured he did "real" string sessions.

Also, I love "Here It Comes." I can't stop listening to it. It sort of bums me out that I already know 1/3 of the album, but I'm still extremely excited to hear the final product.

As an aside, my band is playing a set the evening before our other guitarist's wedding for all of the guests that arrive early and he insisted that we do "I'm Your Man," so we learned that and it's a lot of fun to play.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hey Paul, hope the gig goes well...

The entire Q mag is here... PDF reader required.

I can't believe the strings are all samples from OOP classical records. Yet...

They sound absolutely fantastic - the three songs released so far have given me a spring in my step without a doubt. Best and worst time to be hearing these tracks - but the beautiful country-soul thing never sounded so good until via Spiritualized. How the vocals and instrumentation blends & hits me in all the right kind of way.

The production is absolutely astounding. Was a huge thrill getting home on Monday night and accidentally finding 'Here It Comes' via Spotify. Those fucking horns!

For those who were saying they prefer the live version - you can have both! I'm particularly fond of the Syndey Opera House 2012 take: deep, dark and drugged out, and an incredible prelude to an astonishing show.

The more rugged takes with the US band are interesting as well, and the take I heard (and recorded) in the Brudenell back in 2016 was something else.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spotted the first review in the new Shindig magazine. 4 stars.

reviewer compared it to Let It Come Down and said it 'sticks to his strengths as a songwriter'

apparently On The Sunshine is Velvets-eque and ends in a climax of flutes and strings.

also said something about Sail on Through but can't remember what now!
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

"I have this idea that great albums sound like they go in a cassette player in a car. The car is always in America, it's always dark, and it's usually in the desert. In the end these songs satisfied that."

❤️ this so much. thank you for sharing this article, BzaInSpace.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

thanks for posting that Q mag. I’m so psyched for the album to arrive. Still managed to hold off listening to the already releases tracks. I want to sit down with a glass of wine and listen to it in one sitting, on vinyl :mrgreen:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

How are the new songs revealed thus far bedding in for people? I realised that they've released the opening 3 tracks of the album which seems to be quite a common thing these days.

I am still rating A Perfect Miracle as by far best of the new songs. those cascading strings sound great.

then I'm Your Man. I like the lyrical themes of the song and he gives it a nice country soul arrangement but part of me wishes the song had a bit more to it? a middle 8 or different outro or something to retain interest. As I'm usually listening via the video I have a strange feeling that I will weirdly miss the snippet of Damaged at the beginning.

Here It Comes still isn't doing anything for me. it's nice enough but a bit limp. does anyone think that thematically it would have made a better opening track though? if this is meant to be an album for driving in the car and all that.

I know I'm kind of sneaking a peak at my Christmas presents before the big day, but I can't help it!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I love these songs.

Trying not to listen to them as much as I should but that epic country-soul-balm thing has made a relatively difficult time in my life so much easier.

No higher praise there really.

'Here it comes' - I could imagine that track build and build forever, it's struck me as something else when I first heard it on bootlegs way back in 2012, and as mentioned before I really liked the under-the-influenced vibe of the Sydney Opera House take, but I also love the VU 3rd style thing now.

'A Perfect Miracle' is just where I wish I don't want to be in 2018, yet the music is beautiful and truly outstanding. Those lyrics are either crushingly depressed or completely euphoric.

Use the L-R speakers to determine!

Nobody is recording songs like this right now.

Even if the whole album is like a heart-breaking song cycle thing like Astral Weeks I'm alright with that.

It would be great to have some incendiary rockers on the record... but I'm almost ok with that now.

There's always the live experience for that I suppose - Scottish gigs c'mon!
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm
I love 'A Perfect Miracle' is just where I wish I don't want to be in 2018, yet the music is beautiful and truly outstanding. Those lyrics are either crushingly depressed or completely euphoric.
this is a good point. I think it really shows talent as a songwriter if a song can contain two emotions at once-like being somehow bittersweet, or euphoric but poignant at the same time. I think A Perfect Miracle nails that. in fact it's almost like the narrator is totally conflicted or split in his own head. echoes of I Think I'm In Love?

BzaInSpace wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm
It would be great to have some incendiary rockers on the record... but I'm almost ok with that now.

There's always the live experience for that I suppose - Scottish gigs c'mon!
that's true- it might be disappointing to some if this is a record chock full of ballads. but it's been a similar case on the past couple of albums- even when the more traditional songs slowed the pace of gigs down a bit, I always knew that the noise blowout of Take Me To The Other Side was coming at the end.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'd have no problem with an album full of country soul ballads - "Sweet heart, sweet light of the Rodeo" :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Jasonsmith wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:59 am I'd have no problem with an album full of country soul ballads - "Sweet heart, sweet light of the Rodeo" :D
I can almost hear Jason singing "sweetheart of the rodeo" to the melody of "sweet jane on the radio" in Hey Jane now!! :)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Hi Friends,
I absolutely love the new 3 songs and can’t stop listening to them. They speak to me completely and more than anything I can remember in their recent catalog. I cannot wait for the rest of the album and the full experience. I love it all, the lyrics, the mix, the videos, the instrumentation. I think I’ll listen to this just as much as Pure phase.

Regards,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The press campaign seems to be stepping up and the reviews are starting to come out too.

4 stars in Record Collector magazine
8/10 in Uncut

there's also a really good interview in Uncut- lots of interesting tidbits-

- He goes into more detail on the Youth thing- apparently his producing methods were not compatible with Jason at all- and when he cut it short, Youth held the tapes until payment was settled
- Confirms that him and Juliette did split amicably and share parental duties. His son is into Grime!
- He did read some of Will's book !
- The band were heading for bankrupcy until he changed management recently.

also did anyone know that he produced a couple of tracks for a London band called Yak?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

The Uncut article is great, a very interesting interview. My favourite titbit: J wasn't too bothered about England going out the World Cup in the semis, because he was sick of constantly hearing Three Lions blaring out the pubs on his street :lol: :lol: :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

here's the uncut review
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

mc wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 pm The Uncut article is great, a very interesting interview. My favourite titbit: J wasn't too bothered about England going out the World Cup in the semis, because he was sick of constantly hearing Three Lions blaring out the pubs on his street :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know how he feels!
it says he want to watch the Croatia match too. I never had him down as a football fan. slightly disappointed :)
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

I hope I remember the music more than the world cup....who won?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I see Pete Bassman reacted well to the new UNCUT interview on Facebook :lol:
"2 MILLION FOR A SP3 REFORMATION IS A CROCK OF SHIT. I WAS BASS PLAYER MK 1 AND REGARDLESS OF THE OPINIONS OF ALL THE MULTITUDE OF PEOPLE, FANS, CONTRIBUTING MUSICIANS ECT I WAS AT THE HEART OF THE BAND, INFACT MY INVOLVEMENT PREDATES EVERY ONE BAR SONIC AND JASON BUT STILL NO FUCKING MENTION IN ANY OF THESE CHICKEN SHIT INTERVIEWS . AND GUESS WHAT I AM SICK OF THIS BULLSHIT ."
I'm guessing he is sounding off at just the same old rehashed questions about SP3 reforming and them mentioning Will instead of him (i suppose they did mention PWF at the start, which was Will's time). Different periods of the band i guess, and both Pete and Will brought a lot to their respective periods... just seems a bit ranty for nothing. A renunion is never gonna happen, lets be honest. I'd be much happier if they made some head way with the Palmer nonsense.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm dubious about the "£2 million to reform" story myself. I'm sure there has definitely been lucrative offers on the table but I doubt that figure has ever literally been offered. for some reason that figured was mentioned once, and whenever the press ask about Spacemen reunion rumours they go with it. as Laz said, just rehashing the same rumour.

I think Will was only mentioned in the article rather than Bassman because Will wrote a book, which was therefore mentioned to Jason as he is discussed in it.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I don't think £2 million is too ridiculous a figure. By the time Coachella and Glastonbury put them on plus their own tour I bet they'd be looking at a fortune. Still, I don't want to see it. Give me the new album and a Spiritualized tour.

And sorry Bassman, but I think I'd have Will in the band on bass. And turn the caps lock off on your computer!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am I see Pete Bassman reacted well to the new UNCUT interview on Facebook :lol:
"2 MILLION FOR A SP3 REFORMATION IS A CROCK OF SHIT. I WAS BASS PLAYER MK 1 AND REGARDLESS OF THE OPINIONS OF ALL THE MULTITUDE OF PEOPLE, FANS, CONTRIBUTING MUSICIANS ECT I WAS AT THE HEART OF THE BAND, INFACT MY INVOLVEMENT PREDATES EVERY ONE BAR SONIC AND JASON BUT STILL NO FUCKING MENTION IN ANY OF THESE CHICKEN SHIT INTERVIEWS . AND GUESS WHAT I AM SICK OF THIS BULLSHIT ."
I'm guessing he is sounding off at just the same old rehashed questions about SP3 reforming and them mentioning Will instead of him (i suppose they did mention PWF at the start, which was Will's time). Different periods of the band i guess, and both Pete and Will brought a lot to their respective periods... just seems a bit ranty for nothing. A renunion is never gonna happen, lets be honest. I'd be much happier if they made some head way with the Palmer nonsense.
Pete Bain seems to like quite like a good old rant, there are a few on his blog.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

FM Spaceman wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 pm Image

UNCUT MAGAZINE OCTOBER 2018 .PDF ...

Spiritualized 'The Man Who Fell To Earth' ( Page 50 ) ...

http://pdfmagazines.club/magazines/musi ... -2018.html

xx xx ...
am i missing something? it says i need a premium membership to download
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

FM Spaceman wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:48 pm Yes ...

It Appears That The .PDF Of Uncut Magazine October 2018 Is Only Available To Download Via Premium Now ...

However ...

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wg5gjn

Enjoy ...

xx xx ...
thanks!
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

So - we now have lyrics to every track on the album (unless there's a secret track or 2?), what known new songs are missing? Is it just A Song and D Song or are there other unreleased tracks not there?
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Lovely new (I think) short video clip for "A Perfect Miracle", featuring what is presumably J's instrument-stuffed flat:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmyiXFjjG4V ... ficialspzd
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Interview in the Financial Times, no less. https://www.ft.com/content/baa70158-a45 ... 68d365bf0e
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Anyone else noticed the new album is removed from Apple music? Is it still on Spotify?
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

3 released tracks are still on spotify in Germany at least...
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

That new video although brief is incredibly touching.

My take on it is that the earlier video in the desert was the rock and roll dream. Gram, Hank, Link Wray and the boundless, incredible power of rock and roll he strives for on every record. The new one shot at home is the reality. The, at times, heart breaking slog to match the sounds he hears in his head, and on a shoe string budget.

I can’t wait to hear the record. I’ve held off listening to the tracks for a while so I don’t over do it. I know a lot of people are down on the ballads or slower songs. He’s said himself that he’s not creating the records he was making 20 years ago as a younger man and why should he? It’s his record adult his life in the here and now.

He’s one of the last people out there doing this - Making heartbreakingly beautiful (and at times savage) Rock and roll music. If this record is him calling time on Spirtualized I think we all need to actually think about what that means. Not just about our personal likes and dislikes based on our current listening habits. I for one can hand on heart say his music has taken me places no other music does. He’s constantly reaching for the unobtainable, and somehow he seems to almost reach it. As I said earlier in this thread I don’t want him to give this band up, ever. I’ll always need a new spiritualized album. Another hit, another chance and reaching the stars if only for a second.

So, before the inevitable criticism of the album starts on its release let’s remember this might be it. Forever.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Jason/Spiritualized pop up in my dreams quite a bit. As do Jim and William Reid.

And I hardly ever listen to music of any sort these days :arrow:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Funny you should post that today about dreams, FM. Not bizarre, but definitely about Spz: dreamt last night I was waiting for them to play in a local auditorium, they never came on but the whole time the Pure Phase tones/drone was playing in my head. And I hardly listen to music anymore either.

Edit:
I just remembered there was a wonderfully bizarre part of the dream. The guitarist in the opening band was wearing a giant Chewbacca suit made out of Lego!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Must be pretty common among this crowd it seems, dream`t about a Spiritualized gig about a week back although I missed most of it trying to get served at a bar :?
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

A few months ago I had a dream about 'Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go' actually. I'd only heard the live versions at that point and loved the song but found it quite odd lyrically. But in this dream I completely figured out exactly what all they lyrics meant and what the song was about. It was so clear, and it was actually one child talking to another. Unfortunately my dream-state interpretation was incorrect, but it was a "eureka!" moment when it happened!
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Really excited about the new album! Although I rarely post here, I always find great pleasure reading this forum. Funny that you mention dreaming about Spiritualized, FM Spaceman. For years I've had the same recurring dream/nightmare: Spiritualized are playing live in a field somewhere, but I always miss it. I hear that the band are on stage and start to make my way towards it, yet I'm never able to get there and always end up missing the gig running around trying to find the stage. Incredibly frustrating!
elmarko2112
New user

Post by elmarko2112 »

Hi guys, first post. Long time fan of Spiritualized since I accidentally discovered them at Optimus in Lisbon in 2008.

I'm slightly obsessed with I'm Your Man and was wondering if any of the fine guitar playing members of this forum have tabbed out the riff that runs through most of the song? I'm not one for playing by ear unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

Regards

elmarko2112
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

FM Spaceman wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 am :)

Fantastic Stuff ...

:)

I'm Glad I'm Not Alone In Dreaming About The Greatest Band On The Planet ...

Love You ro ...

Jeffrey Cat And His Little Spaceman ...

xx xx ...
Yep, I've dreamt of J, Sonic, Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 many many times over the years, and most of them involve me going to a sorely underattended Spz gig in a location/building very familiar and personal to me! That said, two particular highlights are:

a) actually playing as a member of Spacemen 3 with no notice whatsoever, but it didn't matter because I knew the fingering for E :lol:

b) the LGM-era Spiritualized did a show (for some reason) behind the bar of one of my childhood home's watering holes, so we were all watching them waist-up from the pub floor. They played long-lost, never-recorded Spz songs nobody had ever heard, songs that were more beautiful than anything appearing on LGM or before. My dream genuinely conjured up several songs of utter Jasonesque gorgeousness, but unsurprisingly, the lyrics, harmonies and melodies vanished when I woke up :( :( :(
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Jason on BBC radio 6 radcliffe/maconie show today (Tuesday 28th) between 1-3pm. They'll probably stick it on iPlayer later if anyone can't listen now. The interview starts about 1:35 into the show. Interesting to hear a radio-friendly edit of Here it Comes.

I'm intrigued by the part of the Uncut interview where Jason says he wants to revisit The Bridge Song on record. I'm curious what his new take on it might be.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Sounds like the lyric, "Take a line, it'll be alright and we'll get stoned all through the night" has been changed to, "Take a ride, it'll be alright and we'll lay back all through the night."
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Is there a link for this?
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

TheWarmth wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 pm Sounds like the lyric, "Take a line, it'll be alright and we'll get stoned all through the night" has been changed to, "Take a ride, it'll be alright and we'll lay back all through the night."
Shit. I've been playing this song to my kids for years. Are drugs references really no longer allowed in pop music?

What happened to the time when Shamen's Ebeneezer Goode hit number one?
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

ravench wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 am Yes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00007z8
Thank you!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

https://www.kexp.org/read/2018/8/23/kin ... hing-hurt/ another interview. Sorry if it's already been posted.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

https://www.facebook.com/spiritualizedo ... 241004645/

unboxing vid for the deluxe edition...
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

mc
Known user

Post by mc »

TheWarmth wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:24 pm Sounds like the lyric, "Take a line, it'll be alright and we'll get stoned all through the night" has been changed to, "Take a ride, it'll be alright and we'll lay back all through the night."
I had a closer look at the partial lyric sheet posted earlier in this thread and the original "stoned" line is there - could be a radio edit?

(sorry, just noticed Heisenberg has already posted words to that effect!)
Feedback Forever
Known user

The new Perfect Miracle clip sounds fantastic in its more stripped-down form. I wonder if he will release a set of remixes. That would be really cool! As I believe he said on Radcliffe and Maconie, he has lots of tracks. Bring on the record and more tour dates! Super-exciting times!
Feedback Forever
Known user

...and just ordered the new record :D
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Feedback Forever wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:53 pm ...and just ordered the new record :D
I have too, though via a local independent shop because I have vouchers to use up. It was cheaper on the nice new Spz site, though with p&p likely a bit more.

Anyway I'm really looking forward to getting the call when it comes in, though if it arrives early I don't know if they will wait until the official date to let me have it.

What really shocked me on the new site is the price of the t-shirts - nearly £60 for just two! Is this normal now and I'm just old and out of touch?

I'm kinda glad I can't afford much right now, as in the past I always got them and bought spares for the ones I would wear. Ironically I'm not fussed about all the A&E era designs I have, but the new sleeve and shirts look like a real return to form for Farrow/Spaceman - the new album art is beautiful, I hope the physical product looks as cool as the website images!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

ravench wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:56 am Yes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00007z8
It was interesting, in spite of the presenters, rather than because of them.

I barely recognised Mark Radcliffe, though I've never really listened to him since I worked in an office where we had R1 on all day, and Mark & Lard were so refreshing compared to the rest of their daytime lineup. Of course it helped that they lifted the afternoon malaise, and cheered us all up sufficiently that we could just laugh at the dumbness of Chris Moyles show for the final hour of the working day!

The KEXP interview linked is much better - far more incisive, in terms of a long form interrogation of the artistic process involved in this album.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

quite liked the Radcliffe & Maconie interview. weirdly it brought memories of the Radcliffe interview (from 1992/3?) which is on the BBC Sessions bootleg- Radcliffe is all chummy and jolly, Jason is monosyllabic. do people know the one I mean? Jason even did the same awkward laugh in this one :)

sounds like the London show will have strings n stuff.
People use Soul On Fire at weddings? have they picked up on the heroin subtext?

you can almost play Spaceman Bingo when reading the various interviews. he does seem to like having a few stock phrases to use in interviews. but I guess this is partly the fault of journalists who just ask the same old questions- they are pretty predictable.

bets on these coming up in the next interview:

- I wanted it to be like an old Columbia Records session
- When I got enough money I went into the studio to record a tympani or horns
- When I said it might be the last record I was quite sincere
- I was inspired by doing the Ladies & Gentleman shows and being inside all that sound
- I wanted the album to be like you're driving in a car in the desert

getting quite excited about the new album now, despite my lukewarm feeling on certain aspects of the songs I've heard. good to have the band back.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Haha, love the Spaceman bingo notion, and you're quite right too. That written KEXP interview covered the same ground, but also went into far more detail than Jason usually provides.

I was particularly hopeful about the "old Columbia" reference. It immediately made me think of the last Simon & Garfunkel album, which Paul Simon obsessed over the recording and production of, for far longer than any of his previous work.

I can see some similarities to Bridge Over Troubled Water in the new songs. They've really grown on me in the last few weeks. I think part of the problem was I initially listened to them via my phone, using earbuds and some Sony cans that both tend to over-emphasise the lower and higher frequencies - like a smiley face EQ.

Once I got around to locating an insert lead and some adaptors, I eventually hooked my phone up to the hifi / monitors. It was remarkable how much midrange detail my modest PMCs managed to reveal. In addition to the granular mids, the bass sounded amazing and particularly impressive on Here It Comes.

The real beauty in these new tracks seems to lie in those delicate layers of brass, keys and guitar. The songs now sound huge, but not in an overblown orchestral way. There's such impressively rich detail, mostly around those crucial midrange frequencies.

The only thing I was less keen on is a couple of the guitar solos. The guitar itself has a slightly jarring Gibson + Oasis sound, similar to clichéd '70s guitar leads. The riffs themselves didn't always sit nicely with the rest of the mix.

Fortunately those moments are brief, and serve to underscore how great everything else sounds - I hope the rest of the album lives up to such a promising start!

For a comparison I listened to SHSL, where I noticed that although Jason similarly has recorded his vox very dry - they seem to sit better in the mix on these new songs. I'd either never noticed before or simply forgotten, but for example on Hey Jane the lead vox seem a little too prominent and slightly disjointed.

Overall whilst it's a frustrating wait between albums, the care and attention put into every detail really seems to have paid off this time. Compared to the rough and ready live versions we had a preview of, Jason has done remarkable work taking relatively simple ideas and finessing them so beautifully.
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the Uncut mag with the Jason interview in it also had I'm Your Man on the covermount CD (I was hoping it would be a different song we hadn't already heard, but alas no!). it did sound a bit better coming properly through the stereo.

in some ideal world, there's a version of Sweet Heart Sweet Light which has the production of this album.. now that would be great
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Not sure what to make of Let's Dance, but the rest is rather good, really nice.
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I got as far as On The Sunshine because I had play that 3 times in a row.

8)
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm gonna keep it old school, resist the stream and listen properly on release day!.. I've even got the day off work (coincidentally, but a nice coincidence)

so probably gonna duck out of the board for a week or so!...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I don't do a lot of ripping, but when I do I normally find it quite easy. By contrast finding something that worked for NPR was quite hard. Ended up having to download some new software, then find a crack.

Now I see the program has credited I'm Your Man to Leonard Cohen, but correctly identified A Perfect Miracle - with the current album art too! I wonder if the Flaming Lips will get credit for The Prize?

After all that I'm not sure whether I'm upconverting 128bit to 256, just to then convert it again so I can listen on something other than phones...

As much as I'm loving this, and starting to appreciate Let's Dance much more (though that new lyric sounds a bit clunky), I think I'm gonna leave it after finishing this run. Hopefully my CD will come in a bit early, then I can enjoy it properly mastered for Red Book!

Whether I'll stick to that is another matter...it's really very good indeed, plus pay day tomorrow :wink:
Dave Chappelle
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

I so wanted to hold off until next week, but I've given in and listened.

I love it.
Bensoncooks
New user

Post by Bensoncooks »

FM Spaceman wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:32 pm OK ...

So I Ripped The Audio From The NPR Stream Throughout Our First Listen And I've Now Fed That Into iTunes For Our Second Listen Of The Day ...

And It Sounds Even Better Already ...

The NPR Stream ( Although Clear ) Sounded A Little Flat To Me ...

It's Now Sounding Super Phat ...

A Little EQ Goes A Long Way ...

O Yes ...

This Is Quite Glorious ...

YES ! YES ! YES ! ...

xx xx ...

That's A YES ! ...

xx xx ...
Any chance you'd be able to send me the rip you made?

Listened through the stream once already. I really love this album. May possibly be my favorite spiritualized album since LAGWAFIS. I really like Let's Dance, possibly the best beach boys song to come out in the last few decades haha,which is actually a comment I once made about a perfect miracle when I first heard the live version a few years back. Definitely getting the whole old Columbia vibe.

Now to listen to it while driving through the desert.

Can't wait for my pre order to come in.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Wow, my cheap headphones really flattered that stream. I've burned up a CD, but it sounds really flat and lifeless on the monitors.

There's no sparkle on the top end (almost like an aggressive low-pass filter from around 12kHz) whilst the bass is limp, with no depth (I can barely hear the fundamental of the bass guitar notes) and not fullsome at all.

When I wind up the volume the mids are horribly congested, just getting mushy when it should be dynamically loud. In fact all the dynamics seem badly squashed.

When the vox at the start of Let's Dance are really exposed, it almost sounds like they've been driven through a SansAmp or similar gritty processing! The timbre and leading edges of the delicate percussion are awfully blunted too, affecting the whole rhythm. The filter sweeps at the end sound like cheap FX toys.

The YouTube versions sounded much better, though I guess the quality there can be quite good these days. Or maybe the weird program I used compounded the lossy effects of the mp3 compression?

Back to plan A...wait for the real thing to turn up!
Dave Chappelle
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

So tempting, but I'm going to wait until the official release and for a physical copy to listen to. LICD comparisons are all the convincing I need that it'll be great.
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Glorious. The Morning After is the immediate highlight for me. Instant classic.
Wah - Wah
Known user

Post by Wah - Wah »

...some very good songs on it !
"Damage" is my favourite at the moment, reminds me of "Broken heart", but there is a lot more going on. Heartbreaking stuff indeed.
"The morning after" is brilliant as well, the last few minutes sound like "The individual" to me. A proper freak-out. Glorious.
Anyone else out there who doesn`t like the whistling sound in "Here it comes" ? It ruins the chorus I`m afraid.
"I`m your man" is okay, his voice sounds sooo fragile here...
"Let`s dance" - wow, he brings in some analogue synths, can`t remember anything like that on a Spz record.
There are some really crazy sounds and even voices / vocals on the record. Did he bring in a mouse choir or sth ?
Overall I can hardly find any "Spz by numbers" songs here, and even the lyrics seem quite different this time.
It feels like it could be maybe his best album for ages after the first day.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Very pleased to read these initial reports, but I'm going to go old-school and wait until the white vinyl arrives in the mail :)