"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hedspace
Known user

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by Hedspace »

theres nothing better than an album that grows on you!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

According to Discogs the white label test pressing has an extra track on the end with Poppy on vocals. 100 copies only, so whoever got that packaged in with their normal record did very well. https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-A ... e/12491396

It's mentioned in the "And Nothing Hurts - physical versions" thread.

Still not had a chance to listen :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

sunray wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 pm According to Discogs the white label test pressing has an extra track on the end with Poppy on vocals. 100 copies only, so whoever got that packaged in with their normal record did very well. https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-A ... e/12491396

It's mentioned in the "And Nothing Hurts - physical versions" thread.

Still not had a chance to listen :roll:
Does anyone have a copy? I'm not sure when they would've been sent out. Intrigued there's another track though. I didn't even think about the promo copies.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

OK I may have tracked down one of the white label copies... waiting for confirmation.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Monorail records in Glasgow were giving out copies of the white label for free earlier, they're gone now though.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

V excited about prospect of bonus track.

+ can anyone decipher the morse code at the end of sail on through?
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

jack white wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:37 am V excited about prospect of bonus track.

+ can anyone decipher the morse code at the end of sail on through?

"And Nothing Hurt" is the Morse code. So people have said anyway!
perfectrx
Known user

Post by perfectrx »

thanks, spotify
Attachments
spotify.png
spotify.png (337.1 KiB) Viewed 20886 times
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Hedspace wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm theres nothing better than an album that grows on you!
There surely is not ! Sail on through is the one at the moment for me.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'm very much enjoying the album. For the first time since LGM, it feels like a consistently positive uplifting sound and feel. He's finally made a happy album again, albeit lyrically steeped in melancholy.

This is a good interview - https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/3 ... -interview.

They also have a handy guide to getting into Spiritualized... https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/q ... ritualized
space
Known user

Post by space »

the prize would have been the perfect track to finish the album

i listened to AG the other day, he sounds so young!

and i'm surprised no one has picked up on the story

when jane was a child her life was saved by rock 'n' roll
she becomes a clerk and falls in love
then the wheels start to fall off and she starts to go out of control
her health starts to fail and she goes to see the NHS and considers ending it all

sounds like she needs more rock 'n' roll
space
Known user

Post by space »

Billy Whizz wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:34 pm
I think someone mentioned Let's Dance reminding them of Baby I'm Just A Fool. Until I heard the album version, Here It Comes always had me singing Baby I'm just A Fool along to it. Similar chords and tempo maybe?

As for the alternate mixes... Japanese bonus tracks maybe? They always seem to get extra over there!
the first few times i heard it i would hear

Though I'm tired just sitting here talking with you
Baby I’'m just a fool, tearing all my heart out just for you
do do be do
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Silver vinyl sounding good
Attachments
sketch-1536408408751.png
sketch-1536408408751.png (392.99 KiB) Viewed 20733 times
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

So on the way to my final day of work as a student (2,300+ hours done at last) I stopped past the local post office sorting place at 6am and chanced it - asking if there was a parcel due to be delivered today?

Yes there was.

The Work sent me home early as well for good behaviour.

Today is a good day!
O P 8
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

https://twitter.com/bellaunion/status/1 ... 48225?s=19

Seems the album is selling pretty well. Between this and the strong reviews it's good to see ANH getting this much love.
Martin L
Known user

Post by Martin L »

1st real listen today of the cd with headphones and I’m stunned by the beauty of all the songs. I hope Jason continues with work like this in the future
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

Picked up a pair of tickets to see them in LA, can’t wait to see these songs performed live (I know, many of these songs have already been performed live - I saw a few of these in Chicago in 2013 - but I feel these tracks will carry additional weight now)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Listening to it after a smoke amd a few beers and it's hitting the spot more often.

Good record. I'll be forking out for it.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

heisenberg wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:29 pm https://twitter.com/bellaunion/status/1 ... 48225?s=19

Seems the album is selling pretty well. Between this and the strong reviews it's good to see ANH getting this much love.
It will have more pre-orders than a lot of other chart stuff. I hope it's still top 5 or even top 10 come next Friday.

Does anyone know if ordering direct from the SPZ or Bella Union sites get counted for the charts?

I've held off buying it until now because I'm ridiculously skint, but tonight I decided to order a vinyl copy. Just went for Amazon because that should count for charts.
Blindsummit
Known user

Post by Blindsummit »

The album is stunning, got the vinyl spinning now. Strongest set of songs in a long time.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fairly long post incoming.. gonna dump my thoughts re: the album so far

I'm probably a bit more lukewarm than many of you at this stage- although it's definitely growing on me with each listen. growers are often the best in the long run so we'll see.

I really like the production. its like a less overblown LICD or much warmer SHSL. I am currently sticking with my previous comment though- if SHSL had this album's production it would be quite something. I still think that may be a better as a collection of songs tbh.

not really that keen on Damaged or The Prize thus far. they just seem so close to mainstream country rock to me. "quell the cavaliar child" is hell of a lyric though :)

Here It Comes still not a song that's doing anything for me. I think part of it is the lyrics really. there's nothing to hang on to. apparently inspired by a Beach Boys song with very similar lyrics that gives direction to Brian Wilson's house?

Let's Dance is excellent- it's still got that desolate feel of the early live versions, but the arrangement is very unexpected- as someone said, it somehow sounds a bit Lazer Guided Melodies in terms of atmosphere (a little bit otherworldly and full of wonder) and it builds up nicely. I also love the Big Star reference in the lyrics. its so Jason- referencing a classic rock band who were still somehow forgotten and obscure :)

On The Sunshine and The Morning After both excellent and very welcome changes of pace. proper Velvets style two chord rockers- or Yo La Tengo when they do a garagey rave up. I think I'm preferring The Morning After at the moment. has to be a live staple on the tour surely? I could listen to 10 mins of that no problem, they need to crank it up and set afterburners to stun! 8)

Sail on Through- lovely stuff. what a closer, its so warm, melancholy, like the end of a difficult journey or a difficult life. when that chorus swirls around its like a warm bath. and the arrangement is a little different to Jason's usual style- the way that bass pops out and the whole arrangement still has a lot of space in it.

can anyone nominate a kind of lyrical thread or concept to the album? I guess like Jason said it's about getting older- accepting mortality, accepting you're a flawed human being with all your faults, but you have to make the best of it.

"The hour is getting late
They're putting all our dreams away"
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

I think this is an astonishing record. It sounds massive and almost a 'best of' Spiritualized but not in a backwards looking way - more an acknowledgement of how the other records had different sounds and different peaks. Anyone else picking up Electric Mainline in On The Sunshine? Sail On Through is like starring at a sunset with a broken heart.

I've listened to this most nights and found myself grinning.

It actually feels and sounds like the last Spiritualized record. So, wow.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I am really enjoying the album. The last two songs are really exceptional, being both unusual in the Spiritualized canon and perhaps vague in how we can categorize them. Sail on Through is like a haunted gospel tune, but has a vaguely celtic choral delivery for it's chorus top line melody. Sounds like a song for a dark foggy or snowy night, sung by a choir at a midnight vigil. Just this beautiful and melancholic dreamy feeling to it which is slightly difficult to pin down. I'm loving this feeling I currently have with these songs where they're new and I can enjoy that spectral lack of familiarity I have with them. I can just live within that initial feeling they give me, unburdened by having heard them a thousand times and being genuinely thrilled by how fresh and different they sound to much of the previous albums. The different twists the arrangements can take and the way his vocals do different things are very honest and exciting for a long-term fan to hear. Lots to explore here.

Lyrically there's lots of references to the end of a relationship, especially in the open two songs, the closing two songs and Damaged. Clear to see, but poetic and sweet in their execution.

I really love the lyric in Sail on Through 'you know the best love lies before the fall'. To me that sums this album up- the theme of the ending a relationship before it becomes rotten, and loving someone enough to know when it's time to call it day whilst you're still on good terms and keeping life positive. Sad, but also very inspiring that a happy ending can still be reached. Thats pretty life-affirming to me, and a healthy way to approach such adversity in life. Radiohead touched on a similar feel on A Moon Shaped Pool- 'different types of love are possible.'

I also love the lyric in The Prize- ' And I don't know if love is a lie/the prize'. He's nailed it right there. You can spend your life chasing something, get it, can still feel incomplete in the middle of it then wonder if it was indeed the answer to all your problems when it's all finally gone. That kind of means a lot to me personally, and I think is pretty good life advice for anyone. We should always be open to life throwing us a curveball, to expect things to go wrong. But we should also realise that we change as we grow older and so do our desires and expectations. As a wise man once said 'Forever Changes'. Sometimes being back at square one isn't always a bad thing, with this album providing perfect proof of that very notion.

Countering all this is the extremely positive lyric on On the Sunshine, which musically to me sounds like Spacemen 3 (further evidence that there's no need for a reunion in my book. But that's a topic for a different thread!). 'It's the dawning of a brand new precious day'. Lyrically and musically this song cuts through everything, and is a euphoric reminder that things can always get better if you want them to- 'state of mind'. Again, pretty inspirational for anyone who feels like they might be lying in the gutter. The band performances on this and The Morning After are superb, especially TMA's freakout at the end of that song. Funny how for an album that's been punted as being made in a flat on a laptop, TMA is arguably the most live-sounding spiritualized has ever sounded on a studio album, and by extension perhaps the best representation of their live show on an album. The energy in the track is phenomenal.

Overall, I think it's a really tender and upbeat album. I love the different approach to the lyrics and think it's giving the songs a great depth. Still working my way through it all, and enjoying it very much. Jason, thank you. Yet again you've made a fantastic album that you happened to have released at precisely a time that it seems to speak directly to me and provides a much-needed glorious and inspiring soundtrack to my life and current feelings. Where would we be without you? Cheers man!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

It's great to hear so many other folks similarly well versed in the Spiritualized canon, loving this new album as much as I am right now.

I keep starting posts of my own, attempting to capture at least a snippet of analysis and appreciation. Unfortunately I'm finding some especially trying personal circumstances to be less than conducive to the kind of writing I expect to produce.

Thankfully the world doesn't have any pressing need for another long winded, long form opinion. Nevertheless I'm enjoying reading about the enjoyment this album is providing others - hence I hope such contributions keep on coming; sharing positive experiences generally serves only to further enhance them.

In trying times, new music as good as this is as good a tonic as any. It's quite interesting how Jason's evolving writing mirrors themes I'm sure many can relate to, when you find yourself not just getting older but really feeling age bearing down.

What I'm particularly enjoying about And Nothing Hurt is how Jason ties up familiar themes and sounds which have been prevalent across various periods of his career, yet packaging them together in the present in such interesting, innovative and fresh ways.

When music can shine such a bright sunlight on otherwise dark days, one can only marvel at the ability of that which is truly unique and amazing - to touch the soul and override external emotions through provoking a stirring inner beauty.

God bless the good ship Spiritualized and all those travelling in space!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's true that this album generally sticks with the core themes of Jason's work- however I also think one of this strengths is that the Lord/Jesus stuff is kept to a minimum.

I'm really loving Sail on Through. The arrangement made me think of The Walker Brothers originally, but now I'm definitely thinking Dion. I know Jason loves the 'Born To Be With You' LP and I'd be surprised if that wasn't in mind for this song.

does anyone else wish that the morse code bit went on a bit longer? The Jason of 20 years ago would have made a whole drone track out of it :)
space
Known user

Post by space »

haha the usual response- slating the album before it is out- saying it is the best since LGM and everything between the two was rubbish- followed by the (soon to be) reassessment (not as good as i thought, sounds bland, not as good as LGM)

personally i think it is a georgeous album, very similiar in many ways to shsl which, as angelsighs says, needed better production. this album feels more like a complete album without the stand out songs whereas shsl had defintive stand out tracks such as slypt and hj. the album feels like it all fits together, possibly the most since LAGWAFIS, which given it was an influence may make sense. on other albums between the rockers and the ballads had a massive gap between them (on fire into do it or she kissed me into hold on)

i think it is the most even album since lagwafis, it is a more mature album but i think it suffers partially in the lack of a ylyc or ct as it is rather one paced, even the morning after is midtempo . if it is as good as everyone is saying can only be told in the fullness of time

i have listened many times so far and will continue to do so, enjoy it in the moment and then, the morning after, we shall see. but a) is music meant for the moment, the emotional journey or b) is it meant for prosterity
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

[quote=angel

Here It Comes still not a song that's doing anything for me. I think part of it is the lyrics really. there's nothing to hang on to. apparently inspired by a Beach Boys song with very similar lyrics that gives direction to Brian Wilson's house?

That was mentioned in either the Uncut or Mojo review and is from the the Beach Boys' Friends album. The track is called Busy Doing Nothing and goes something like this:

Take all the time you need
It's a lovely night
If you decide to come
You're gonna do it right
Drive for a couple miles
You'll see a sign and turn left
For a couple blocks
Next is mine, you'll turn left on a little road
It's a bumpy one
You'll see a white fence
Move the gate and drive through on the left side
Come right in
And you'll find me in my house somewhere
Keeping busy while I wait

More than likely an influence but definitely improved upon by Jason I think.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Just had a flashback. It was the review in Shindig! magazine.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

well.
so nice to hear these new ways of woven sound. i love this new intimacy, in vocals and presentation, like spiritualized has turned itself inside out.

i love this magic carpet of The Prize.
i love how it bows sideways with us inside of it in it, like slow wavering snow from mars.
i love the uneasy balances, swinging, falling up again
i love the little lasting moments of “i don’t know…
i love the easy perfect handover from strings to feedback
i love (but it hurts) how sensible this poem is to me at this time in my life.

and, i love how it has me thinking, “time takes a cigarette… and it’s impossible, to tell the sun to leave the sky, it's just impossible”
: )

it’s all i can take right now, this one song, as i can only bear music a tiny bit at a time
(new devastating illness which precludes listening to music much at all, and recent tragic loss of loved one, just too hard to get swept up in emotion, maybe someday… )
and i’m very glad to have it. i’m going to carry it with me. thanks, jp.

i used to live in a neighborhood nicknamed JP, for its initials. a church burned in winter one day, and as i passed on the bus, i could see the firefighters making enormous icicles with their water, which hung form the charred beams in the freezing cold. it was beautiful and sad, but months later, there was a banner outside the roofless church: THANKS, JP. LET’S REBUILD. and they did.

and every spz record released since then, i think of that message. thanks, jp. let’s rebuild.

wilder
New user

Post by wilder »

A Perfect Miracle ... most reviewers parse it as a song as someone who cant make his mind up. I hear it as a call and response song. Verses want/desire someone and the chorus is from the viewpoint of the desired. Very sad song.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

wilder wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:49 pm A Perfect Miracle ... most reviewers parse it as a song as someone who cant make his mind up. I hear it as a call and response song. Verses want/desire someone and the chorus is from the viewpoint of the desired. Very sad song.
My take is that the verses are someone euphoric at the start of a relationship, and the choruses are the same person once the novelty has worn off.

I wasn't expecting much from this album, as I've been pretty indifferent to the last three, but so far (I'm pacing myself, saving it up, only listened to the first half as yet), I think it's astounding. With regards to A Perfect Miracle, based on my reading above, I instantly found it more touching and heartbreaking than anything Jason has done in a long time. Honestly, I didn't think he still had it in him to pull off something like this, but the first half of the album is amazing.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

I love the new album. :D I certainly think it's got a feel of the AG & LICD sound. I listened to 'Let's dance' whilst walking to work at 5am on friday and had an emotional experience! The way the song is layered and grows is classic Spaceman. The rest of the songs that i'd not heard were excellent too. 'Here comes (the road)..' is a joyous song and 'The morning after' is superb, whilst 'Damaged' continues to grow on me.

An album really worth waiting for. I hope it's not going to be his swansong.
Hey Jayne
space
Known user

Post by space »

Ian wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm
wilder wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:49 pm A Perfect Miracle ... most reviewers parse it as a song as someone who cant make his mind up. I hear it as a call and response song. Verses want/desire someone and the chorus is from the viewpoint of the desired. Very sad song.
My take is that the verses are someone euphoric at the start of a relationship, and the choruses are the same person once the novelty has worn off.

I wasn't expecting much from this album, as I've been pretty indifferent to the last three, but so far (I'm pacing myself, saving it up, only listened to the first half as yet), I think it's astounding. With regards to A Perfect Miracle, based on my reading above, I instantly found it more touching and heartbreaking than anything Jason has done in a long time. Honestly, I didn't think he still had it in him to pull off something like this, but the first half of the album is amazing.
in an interview he said the song is about his relationship with himself
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

space wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 pmin an interview he said the song is about his relationship with himself
I don't see how that makes any sense!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

That’s interesting, there are several Spz songs I’ve always imagined as being a conversation with oneself. I don’t know the truth, but I like reading them that way.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

I agree with Ro.
I think the solipsism & the self deprecation are fundamental to the whole trip. Something that is readily apparent in the content of ANH. As opaque as he tries (or at least used to try) there is still an honesty of some kind reflected & projected. Markedly hereso with the inclusion of his mother in the artwork..??

Much of this reads like a(nother) love letter to rock n roll. Like the last few albums have been from the viewpoint of a survivor and this is one of unbridled gratitude & reflection.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Ian wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

I love both & all of these quotes. Theyre completely different from where im coming from but we share a common ground. One of the magic aspects of music & one of the reasons why i love spz gigs so much!
(Fwiw i love tracks 1-3 but i especially love 4-9 & most especially love the final half!)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I saw a comment yesterday from someone complaining that The Morning After was just a rip off of the Velvet Underground... :lol: :lol: Yeah... 'cause Jason has NEVER shown his influences or pinched ideas from some of his favourite bands before! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do you even KNOW Spiritualized?!? :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

interesting to hear quite different takes on A Perfect Miracle. I am pretty sure in an interview Jason said it is meant to be the same person talking to themselves. I see it as someone who would LIKE to do all that romantic stuff, but at the same time they are a bit messed up/insecure/scared etc. bit of a split personality, or there's that nagging doubt that you are not good enough, for them and this manifests itself in being a bit distant and conflicted.
or sometimes life is complicated enough anyway and you don't have enough headspace for all that stuff.. "fucked up inside" indeed!

of course all takes are valid though! that's the beauty of music. it's a great song.

must say I don't see the comparisons between Baby I'm Just a Fool and Let's Dance. J has certainly had some songs which have kind of been retreads, but I don't this as a case of that.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am must say I don't see the comparisons between Baby I'm Just a Fool and Let's Dance. J has certainly had some songs which have kind of been retreads, but I don't this as a case of that.
I don't think the songs are similar in their entirety, but the "better things a lonely rock n roller could do" line from let's dance has a similar melody to baby I'm just a fool
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think lyrically the two songs do share the same meter in several lines, though that changes significantly in those places where Jason increases the syllabic density of certain lines in Let's Dance.

The lyrics for Baby I'm Just A Fool are quite strictly in a simple iambic pentameter, and can easily be sung to fit the music of Let's Dance. However that's probably the most similarity I can find. I don't think the few melodic similarities are any different to that which I would simply describe as part of Jason's overall style.

Rhythmically Let's Dance (on the notably different album version) is far more evenly paced in a rigid 4/4 time, compared with the jaunty syncopation on Baby I'm Just A Fool - which I suspect would be most accurately scored in a slow 2/4 time signature.

[Edit] I've just realised the version of Baby I'm Just A Fool I'm using for comparison is the Acoustic Mainlines one, which is so clearly stuck in my head I'm struggling to recall the album version, where the differences I outlined relating to the rhythm may not be so marked.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I also definitely thought of the word jaunty when it comes to Baby I'm Just A Fool. It always kinda reminded me of Walking With Jesus myself.

Sail On Through is the one that's still REALLY doing it for me.. have to play it more than once when I listen to the album!
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Hope they do Lets Dance/Baby 1-2 in setlists.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

I've been listening nonstop for almost two weeks now. I grabbed the leak as soon as I found it, I couldn't resist. I've bought all three colored vinyl versions.

I don't really know what else to say- I love this album- it's very right place/right time to me. I honestly think it's better than anything Jason's released since 'Let it come down.' I can understand now why it took so long- the songs have really benefitted from the environment they were produced in. I really hope it's not the last Spiritualized release, but if it is this would album would be the best way to go out.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Anyone here familiar with Loudon Wainwright III (Rufus'dad). I think The Lonely Rock 'n roller in Let's Dance is a nod to his song Motel Blues, which opens with "In this town the television shuts off at two; What can a lonely rock 'n roller do".
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Really enjoying the new record. I've been on holiday for the last two weeks, so only just got hold of the physical copy yesterday - great stuff. Think my fav track is Let's Dance, and then the Prize. Not that keen on The Morning After TBH, can't be doing with all the squealing saxaphones (not my favourite instrument) - wish the guitars were a bit louder in the mix here. The riff in this track reminds me of Bigtime by the Soundtrack of our lives. Wish the album had 2-3 more track, but you can't have everything. Lovely!
imbilly
Known user

Post by imbilly »

The riff in this track reminds me of Bigtime by the Soundtrack of our lives. Wish the album had 2-3 more track, but you can't have everything. Lovely!
[/quote]

For me, it reminds me of one of Acetone tune. Can’t remember which one
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

The Morning After is a bit too much a sequel to Hey Jane, for my taste. Also not too keen on the saxophones in that track.
Love sax solo's on the other tracks, though.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 pm
Sail On Through is the one that's still REALLY doing it for me.. have to play it more than once when I listen to the album!
yes! this song is *the* one for me right now too! i love the sounds in the beginning. makes me think about apollo era brian eno being played in a cave (i'm crazy).
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

beaker73 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am Anyone here familiar with Loudon Wainwright III (Rufus'dad). I think The Lonely Rock 'n roller in Let's Dance is a nod to his song Motel Blues, which opens with "In this town the television shuts off at two; What can a lonely rock 'n roller do".
I made the same assumption. Given that the song was covered by Big Star, referenced elsewhere in the lyric, it seems likely.

Great fucking song, that.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Normally wouldn't link to the S*n, but Jason's done an interview with them, so there you go https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7 ... urt-album/
space
Known user

Post by space »

beaker73 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:46 am What can a lonely rock 'n roller do".
that line always jars so much for me
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

The album has reached #11 in the UK charts and #8 in the Scottish album charts. We love the Spaceman up here in Scotland!
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I'm not particularly fussed either. I just happen to think it's quite an achievement that the album managed to chart quite so highly given the current climate/state of pop music, suggesting that the record seems to have done well in it's first week.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

#1 in the indie chart for what it's worth...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Hopefully, album charting will relate to album sales. The way J.Spaceman alluded to the fact that he had to do this by himself with ProTools and a computer because he is skint. Maybe, he should do all his future albums this way if it is going to turn out this good ...
Henricusmaria
New user

Post by Henricusmaria »

I’ve added ‘The bridge song’ to the ANH album list. It is a great song to start of the album with. It makes it even better imo and it is a great ‘bridge song’ if you put the album on repeat.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Not quite gathered my thoughts on the new album yet (I certainly love it!) but it's brought about a massive Spiritualized binge this week. I'm rediscovering so much wonderful material, and the "not listened for years" highlight so far has to be the stellar 1995 Peel Session recording of 'Stay With Me'. Kate's keys and backing vocals are utterly gorgeous to behold :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTCzntN4EIc
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

love seeing eben, brad, and kid millions in the special thanks. i've probably mentioned it too much but those shows with them in the band were some of my favorite shows by any band ever.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

clewsr wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am Normally wouldn't link to the S*n, but Jason's done an interview with them, so there you go https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7 ... urt-album/
thank you for posting the link, clewsr. i really enjoyed this one.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

mc wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm Not quite gathered my thoughts on the new album yet (I certainly love it!) but it's brought about a massive Spiritualized binge this week. I'm rediscovering so much wonderful material, and the "not listened for years" highlight so far has to be the stellar 1995 Peel Session recording of 'Stay With Me'. Kate's keys and backing vocals are utterly gorgeous to behold :)

Love that ending. Wonder if it was changed for copyright reasons?
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Billy Whizz wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 am
mc wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:03 pm Not quite gathered my thoughts on the new album yet (I certainly love it!) but it's brought about a massive Spiritualized binge this week. I'm rediscovering so much wonderful material, and the "not listened for years" highlight so far has to be the stellar 1995 Peel Session recording of 'Stay With Me'. Kate's keys and backing vocals are utterly gorgeous to behold :)

Love that ending. Wonder if it was changed for copyright reasons?
I know it's a diversion from the topic, but
Wow, I'd forgotten how amazing this version is . It's been on repeat for the last hour. 😊
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

It's really good news regarding the chart position. I know that chart positions mean a bit less these days due to the reduced number of people actually buying music (I am sure that Let It Come Down's #2 position accounted for rather more sales than the equivalent nowadays). But it's just good that the album is having some traction. hopefully it means might see a few more people at the tour dates too! some of the SHSL dates I went to were rather sparsely attended.

There's been a fair amount of press coverage too which has surely helped. Jason must have a good press officer, seen a fair amount of interviews around. and the reviews seem to have been almost uniformly positive.
I read an interview in a magazine called Long Live Vinyl- it had a lot of the usual questions but also a couple which were more interesting! they asked about the previous lineups of the band and Jason surprisingly said that he would be open to playing with many of them again, as they all brought something to the band (he also specifically praised Kate Radley's keyboard playing).

on discussing Let's Dance they also asked if Jason is a dancer and he laughed and said he has NEVER danced and reiterated that it's a metaphor for life :)

oh and that version of Stay With Me is excellent. I would actually rank it above the more recent versions from the Ladies and Gents shows
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I really liked Kate's keyboard playing, It was the backbone of the LGM era sound. Simple and very effective.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

That version of Stay with me is great. It lead me on to this video @ Glast in 04. Wow it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdkptFeDrQ

I like the strings, horns, choirs etc, but sometimes all you need is a few guitars.

Ste
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Yeah! They were on good form in 2004. I remember seeing them at the Øya Festival in Oslo that summer, and they blew everyone away with a really intense and noisy set. Good times!

Re: Stay with me: Anyone remember the fantastic live version of The Slide Song from this era (must have been around 93-95). I know I have it somewhere, but not sure where. The first time I heard it, it completely floored me.