"And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Feedback Forever
Known user

Re: "And Nothing Hurt" - new Spiritualized® album 2018

Post by Feedback Forever »

Sorry for not staying on topic. New album still great! Really enjoying the reception it's getting.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

lets dance definitely shares some of the melody (vocally) with baby i'm just a fool. couldn't figure out what other spz song it sounded like til i read this thread.

am i hearing a reference to D song in on the sunshine? the keyboard part is very similar if not the same as (i think) the guitar from D. just a little bit of a difference in rhythm.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

hey gang, haven't lurked/posted here in ages. Got the new record and thought I'd offer up my two pennies. To be honest when I first heard the three initial tracks I was slightly underwhelmed, A Perfect Miracle is cute but not really sure about the Uke (sorry Ro!). Nor was I really digging the classic Saturday Night Live style horns on Here it Comes or the Oasis-y lead guitar bit. As for I'm your Man, I can take it or leave it.

BUT THEN BOOM, Let's Dance comes on...

Let's Dance is such a gem of a little tune. Something I feel J. has been threatening to write for ages. it combines all the lovely bits of his work. very heady and spacey, definitely enjoying it.

On the Sunshine seems like something leftover from A/G, which is fine with me. clever lyrics on this one, especially for us older folks. really looking forward to hearing it live.

OK Damaged, not feeling it, not feeling the slide guitar at all. hopefully it will grow on me, (plus I was really hoping it was a Primal Scream cover). as someone posted earlier, it's worth it just for the 'quell the cavalier child' line.

On the Sunshine is one of the reasons I love Spiritualized, yeah the ballads are lovely and heart wrenching but give me a wicked groove, oscillating keyboards and squanking horns freaking out any day! totally amazed, that bass line rules! good hear from Jane again as well.

The Prize, no new territory here, but J. does this kinda of track better than anybody else. layers upon layers, Phil Spector would be proud. very lovely.

and now for the piece de resistance:

Sail on Through, wow. that's all I got. wow. I mean c'mon a waltz! if this is the last track of Spiritualized, what a way to put it to bed.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 am I mean c'mon a waltz! if this is the last track of Spiritualized, what a way to put it to bed.
Good to hear from abs.

Just two quick points, 1 - i fucking love the album 2 - spz has become too distilled. J needs to release another spz album asap and fuck up the formula.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 am
On the Sunshine is one of the reasons I love Spiritualized, yeah the ballads are lovely and heart wrenching but give me a wicked groove, oscillating keyboards and squanking horns freaking out any day! totally amazed, that bass line rules! good hear from Jane again as well.
I think you mean The Morning After here, and it certainly is a beautiful noise (pun intended) and possibly my fave but the other 2 you raved about (Let's Dance and Sail On Through) run it close.

Having also been unsure what to expect, especially when I'm Your Man appeared as the first single, I can safely say that it does indeed grow and it's a stunner.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

White vinyl matching my white turntable (and the wall art behind!) very nicely :)
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG (217.68 KiB) Viewed 22216 times
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm Your Man has grown on me a bit, but I'm still fairly indifferent to it. it does make more sense in context of the album, as track #2

The other ones I still don't really care for are Damaged and The Prize. I'd be interested to know how people see these differing from the ballads on the last few records that got slagged off a fair bit. I guess he's given The Prize a slightly spacey feel in the production.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

D. wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:05 pm
am i hearing a reference to D song in on the sunshine? the keyboard part is very similar if not the same as (i think) the guitar from D. just a little bit of a difference in rhythm.
no one else?
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

D. wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm
no one else?
I listened to the version of D Song that's on YouTube again last night and couldn't quite hear it. Although the start of it actually reminded me of The Morning After a bit!
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 am ... not really sure about the Uke (sorry Ro!)
don't apologize to me :D not a big ukulele fan here either.
maybe you are thinking of a banjo conversation?

despite illness have managed a few listens this week.
right there with you shonn re: Let's Dance. lovely indeed.

angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:28 pm The other ones I still don't really care for are Damaged and The Prize. I'd be interested to know how people see these differing from the ballads on the last few records..
am loving Damaged, and thinking how it feels like a perfect sequel to Sitting on Fire.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

thanks Billy, it's definitely The morning After!

hmmm Ro, I could have sworn sometime, somewhere we were discussing the Uke, maybe way back in the LAGWAFIS days. anyways, yeah, gimme the banjo over the Uke!

Really digging damaged huh? i'm still struggling with it. I just feel if the slide wasn't there it would work. I dunno, gimme 6 months and a dozen listens and it will probably be my favorite track!

ohh does anybody else notice how many of the tracks sound like they could easily fir on Dion's Born to Be With You album? if you're not familiar do yourself a favor and have a listen.
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm
D. wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm
no one else?
I listened to the version of D Song that's on YouTube again last night and couldn't quite hear it. Although the start of it actually reminded me of The Morning After a bit!
whoops! i meant A song. the main lead guitar in that seems to be the keyboard part in on the sunshine. is on the sunshine in A?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

One of the reasons I love the new album so much is that there really is nothing on it that I want to skip or that I personally find cringe-inducing. It's just so fully realized and, I hate to say it, but ... mature. Ladies & Gentlemen is the last Spiritualized album where I felt this way, so from that perspective, this album for me is his best since L&G.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm
ohh does anybody else notice how many of the tracks sound like they could easily fir on Dion's Born to Be With You album? if you're not familiar do yourself a favor and have a listen.
I said exactly this about Sail on Through further up the thread :)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pmhmmm Ro, I could have sworn sometime,
maybe in a long-lost dream : ) :?:
Really digging damaged huh? i'm still struggling with it. I just feel if the slide wasn't there it would work. I dunno, gimme 6 months and a dozen listens and it will probably be my favorite track!
Lyrically it’s meeting me where I am right now. And I like that it feels like the verso side of sitting on fire.
and that it falls like snow, quietly.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:54 pm
a beautiful shonn wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm
I said exactly this about Sail on Through further up the thread :)
nice one! didn't catch your post. it's strikingly similar, and that was produced by Phil Spector if memory serves. yeah tbh, I was a bit nervous how the production was gonna sound overall, but he nailed it. I bet he could have spent another year mixing this record. it had to be difficult to say, " enough, it's finished".

p/s- I have yet to hear the ambulance siren. anybody? haven't listened to it on headphones yet.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 pm

nice one! didn't catch your post. it's strikingly similar, and that was produced by Phil Spector if memory serves. yeah tbh, I was a bit nervous how the production was gonna sound overall, but he nailed it. I bet he could have spent another year mixing this record. it had to be difficult to say, " enough, it's finished".

p/s- I have yet to hear the ambulance siren. anybody? haven't listened to it on headphones yet.
it's good to know that great minds think alike!
I don't really like Damaged either. I don't mind the slide guitar part on it, but it's got a bit of a flat tone on it and just plays the same melody throughout. He should have used a pedal steel on that and made it proper country!
I can't really see it as a partner to Sitting On Fire. I love that song, but Damaged is leaving me cold. of course this may all change as my relationship to the album changes!

re: the ambulance sirens, I doubt any are actually audible. I haven't heard any.

On The Sunshine and A Song, we might be onto something there. if it's the same song it has certainly transformed a lot, but there's a similar in there somewhere just in terms of general feel and some of the musical parts.
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:49 am

re: the ambulance sirens, I doubt any are actually audible. I haven't heard any.

you've not heard them? i find them very obvious and i thought it was intentional as a follow up to pharmacy/medical theme. it was anoying and then i read that they may be unintentional and makes you wonder why they were left in, given how anal he is!
D.
Known user

Post by D. »

On The Sunshine and A Song, we might be onto something there. if it's the same song it has certainly transformed a lot, but there's a similar in there somewhere just in terms of general feel and some of the musical parts.
take a listen to the keys that start around 1:04 in OTS. that is the part that really got me thinking about the guitar in A song
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Also, in Let It Come Down the song, " 12 Steps " ambulance sirens start at about the 1:25pm mark. Especially, for this song, the sirens seems integral. For And Nothing Hurts I like the re-introduction of the glockenspiel not heard since Lazer Guided Melodies.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

spacemanrich wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:16 pm Also, in Let It Come Down the song, " 12 Steps " ambulance sirens start at about the 1:25pm mark. Especially, for this song, the sirens seems integral. For And Nothing Hurts I like the re-introduction of the glockenspiel not heard since Lazer Guided Melodies.
haha yep! that part always used to mess with my mind. I always got a quick "oh shit cops" scare. honestly I would always curse J. when it would happen.

angelsighs - ABSOLUTELY should have used the pedal steel, it would have made that lead beautiful. more spacious. you're correct it is a really flat tone, and the repetition doesn't help its cause.

c'mon, somebody has to know where the sirens are at? i'll give it a listen on headphones this weekend, see if I can spot the lucky wart.
a beautiful shonn
Known user

space wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 pm

you've not heard them? i find them very obvious and i thought it was intentional as a follow up to pharmacy/medical theme. it was anoying and then i read that they may be unintentional and makes you wonder why they were left in, given how anal he is!
because when you record in your bedroom (which I can testify, sadly) shit like this happens. a lot. you don't have the proper isolation you would in a practical studio. sometimes you can burry it in the mix, other times you're f*cked!
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

I'm struggling to find much of A Song in On The Sunshine to be honest. Maybe there's a similarity in a small way somewhere, but I still find them two very different songs, but I might just need my ears testing.

Not found any sirens either!
space
Known user

Post by space »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 pm

because when you record in your bedroom (which I can testify, sadly) shit like this happens. a lot. you don't have the proper isolation you would in a practical studio. sometimes you can burry it in the mix, other times you're f*cked!
yes, i know that but, if an album took 6 years, you'd think that you'd go, ah, there are sirens, i'll do another take in a moment! unless you live next to a hospital there aren't sirens 24/7!
space
Known user

Post by space »

Billy Whizz wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 pm Not found any sirens either!

one example is the end minute or so of here it comes though there are other examples but i can't think off the top of my head as i usually listen to the album as a whole!
space
Known user

Post by space »

space wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 am
a beautiful shonn wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 pm

yes, i know that but, if an album took 6 years, you'd think that you'd go, ah, there are sirens, i'll do another take in a moment! unless you live next to a hospital there aren't sirens 24/7!
likewise, leonard cohen recorded old ideas in his own, npn sound proofed studio so he would get up before dawn to record otherwise you would be able to hear bird song even before the traffic!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

a beautiful shonn wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 pm

angelsighs - ABSOLUTELY should have used the pedal steel, it would have made that lead beautiful. more spacious. you're correct it is a really flat tone, and the repetition doesn't help its cause.
yep totally agree!! I love me a bit of pedal steel. it can actually be quite a spacey instrument when used in the right context.

I think the sirens are a placebo effect. surely there's a lot of keyboards and stuff in the mix that could easily sound similar?
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:50 am
a beautiful shonn wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:45 pm

yep totally agree!! I love me a bit of pedal steel. it can actually be quite a spacey instrument when used in the right context.

I think the sirens are a placebo effect. surely there's a lot of keyboards and stuff in the mix that could easily sound similar?
i listened before i read any reviews or presingles and picked up on the sirens and then read about it later!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Going home today to open my dlx copy and play it for the first time. Although i've been listening to it over these last few weeks and reading people's thought and reactions, i'm still silly excited that i'm about to give it proper attention.

Enjoy your weekend folks!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I’m a tad late to the listening party but…

After such a gap I was a little hesitant about this record, but I’ve found it to be probably Jason’s finest work since Let It Come Down. There’s less noise than on many previous albums but the more laid-back tunes work really well. A Perfect Miracle is obviously reminiscent of the title track on LAG. I’m Your Man has the classic Spacemen/Spiritualized lullaby structure that Jason first used in stuff like Soul 1 & Lord Can You Hear Me. He uses it quite a bit on this new album. It’s actually ‘Here It Comes’ where And Nothing Hurts really gets to me. I’m maybe reminded of the glory this took on live but it’s excellent.

I love the noisy tunes here too even if there are only 2 of them. I can imagine both of these would be immense live and look forward to hearing them at some point I hope. The Morning After is well worth a listen on headphones as it has a really neat panning effect from ear to ear. The closers are both very nice although, dare I say it, The Prize has a Spectrum feel at times! Even 28 years after they split up the crossovers from Jason to Pete – and back again - keep appearing!

I can criticise the fact that I wish this was a double album as it feels too short. I could have done with another 20 minutes at least. I’d also prefer more guitar noise to saxophone noise – that’s Ok in its way but I always yearn for Jason’s bolder sounding guitar to be pushed forward more. He never lets rip with the wah-wah enough these days for me. But I’m being picky – this is a fantastic record and the fact it’s gone down so well with the critics was nice too.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Good to hear from you Runcible! I agree with much of what you said, although I'm keener on the Saxophones than you are. I was pleased to hear them make a strong return on this record.

Also the absence of Lord / Jesus lines makes it a much easier listen.

I think it is most positive and uplifting album since LGM, which is what I feel in love with in the first place.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I agree with the saxophone comment - I can't be doing with them at all. I fast forward that track. On the other hand, if it was noisey crazy guitars I would turn it up and smile!

It's over a month since ANH was released, are people still listening to it on a regular basis? Opinion changed over time? Maybe listening to the live recordings more?

I'm still listening, maybe not as much as first, still wish it was more tracks - especially after 6 years. Is there a hint of a similair scenario as with Let it Come Down? Jason spent ages recording that - humming the tunes into a tape recording because he couldn't write music etc. I know he probably had more money then and so could get all the musicans he wanted, but the making of ANH seems just as tortuous and lenghty albeit more of a solo project (and alot less dosh) than LICD. Maybe we'll get another Amazing Grace next - just get the tracks down - one take kind of thing?

Ste
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

stegraham wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm
It's over a month since ANH was released, are people still listening to it on a regular basis? Opinion changed over time? Maybe listening to the live recordings more?
I'm probably listening to ANH more regularly than anything else I have bought in the last couple of years. In terms of Spiritualized's output I think it is on par with LICD, so ranks joint behind PP, LGM and LAGWAFIS for me. The production, arrangement and performance is absolutely outstanding. Personally, I'm not too bothered about the guitars/sax trade-off. The noisier of the new tunes were phenomenal in London. In the live setting the tunes stand their ground against anything else Spz have done.

ANH strikes me as a proper, fully realised LP, which I'm not convinced I could say about AG, A&E and SHSL, much as I like them.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

May as well throw in my tuppence worth then.

The original three songs aired in the summer have grown on me but in a pleasant rather than revelatory manner i.e, they're fine but not really having much of an impact. I think someone said they didn't like the whistling effect on Here It Comes? I'm the opposite as it reminds me of the 'Mama' section of Sway. Not keen on the lyrics though. Here it Comes is an 'almost' type song, it doesn't quite get to where it should be imo.

Let's Dance is an odd one. Sounds like Roy Orbison and then comes the instrumental section which takes it in another direction entirely. Kinda reminiscent of the crescendos of days of yore. The phaser really makes it.

On The Sunshine and The Morning After? Yep, hitting the spot. I do think the former has been worked from 'A Song'. No sax issues for me here either.

Damaged. Unfortunately suffers the same fate as I'm Your Man in that it doesn't sound remotely damaged at all. Someone here said it reminded them of Broken Heart, which I would definitely agree with. However, just like Broken Heart, Damaged is held back by a needlessly extended instrumental passage that achieves nothing. It's like Jason thought to himself "Hmm, better chuck in an 'epic-type' tune while i'm at it".

The Prize. Sorry, it just reminds me of The Flaming Lips too much. To the point where I can actually here Wayne Coyne's torturous, out of tune vocals all over the fucking thing.

Sail On Through. Probably the only one to have any sort of emotional impact on me. Actually brings a tear to the eye :shock: Reminds me of Mazzy Star's 'Look On Down From The Bridge'. Which is a good thing.

I must be the only one who thinks the album is the perfect length. If it were any longer I really don't think i'd feel encouraged to give it repeated listens, it would start to become a chore. As it is it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Overall, it's better than Amazing Grace and Songs in A&E, not sure where i'd place it after that though. I suspect SHSL with And Nothing Hurts warmer production would be a better proposition.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Joycey, it seems your feelings re: ANH pretty much mirror my own (except I love A Perfect Miracle and also seem to like Let's Dance more than you)- I could have almost written that post myself!

and Broken Heart pisses on Damaged!

what is it people actually like about Here It Comes? not trolling, just really want to understand as it does nothing for me.

I have no problem with squealing saxophones and find them an essential part of the Spiritualized stew. there's no reason why we can't have that AND noisy guitars! 8)

I'm still listening to the album fairly regularly and the production is certainly one of it's main qualities, as well as being one of Jason's most solid collection of songs. It's certainly far better than A&E which was really bitty and had some weak songs. However I am still of the opinion that a better produced SHSL would be superior.

Runcible- I never noticed that The Prize was a bit Spectrum, but you're right! still don't really like the song though!
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

i'm loving the songs, it's almost like a 'best of...'

I maybe the only one here to have a minor gripe about the production. he's done a great job considering the working conditions he was under but i'm finding (especially in the busier sections) the production is pretty claustrophobic, the drums get totally buried in some places. for some reason this record has also got me going back to SH/SL which i'm really appreciating with fresh ears at the mo.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

angelsighs asked what people like about "here it comes." i guess for me, i love that song especially how it was played as the first song on those beautiful stripped down shows of 2013. no backup singing, just the quiet strumming and story of it before "hey jane" mixed with the excitement of the show beginning. lovely times.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Before the album (and new songs released before it) I was really excited about Here It Comes. Of all the new live tracks played since SHSL that was the one I kept going back to. It just kept growing on me and was stuck in my head (I even mentioned on here about actually dreaming about it which is a bit weird). Defining exactly what I love about it is difficult. I really like the lyrics personally, and the cadence of the vocal as a whole. Plus there's something a bit hypnotic to it for me, which is why I could keep going back to the live versions over and over again.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:14 am Joycey, it seems your feelings re: ANH pretty much mirror my own (except I love A Perfect Miracle and also seem to like Let's Dance more than you)- I could have almost written that post myself!
Great minds... or Fools seldom differ? Nice to have company anyway. I thought I might've been on my own here and facing a slap down from the Outpatients militant wing :lol:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

officially the band's best reviewed album since LICD on metacritic. in fact it scores overall higher than that album (although I think that's probably because of a lack of reviews to use as sources)

https://www.metacritic.com/person/spiritualized
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I love the album. That's probably helped by having seen the Angers and Paris shows, but I think I've listened to it at least 5 times a week since it came out. Someone else mentioned that there is nothing to fast-forward through. That is my main problem with SHSL which I think is J's weakest work by far. Sometimes I find myself listening to Hey Jane and then So Long you Pretty Thing...Someone else said it is a mature album, being of a similar age to J I find it speaks to me on a lot of levels, lost loves, failed hopes and plans, but still with some hope for the future. If I had to mention something negative about ANH it would be that Damaged (which I thought was great from the time I heard the snippet at the start of the I'm your man video) seems to be missing a verse, which was replaced with an overextended middle section...
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

We definitely all have different taste because Damaged is my favourite song on the Album. I can see the instrumental part being used in a Movie, TV series.
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

The album really is a distillation of all his previous solo albums. References and similarities to older songs abound and (because of this?) it works perfectly. Enjoying it immensely.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Great to see more critical recognition of "And Nothing Hurt" - it's number 4 in Uncut's Top 75 albums of the year :)

I still haven't posted my thoughts about ANH, partly because life has been oddly busy lately, and partly because I wanted to give the album to really sink in (and then let time pass afterwards) before coming to some kind of conclusion. I'm still not quite there yet, but I'll definitely be discussing it properly come "best albums of 2018" time.

Spoiler alert: yes, it's utterly magnificent :)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Hopefully, this isn't redundant but their is a nice podcast w/ Jason along w/ a short article about the album (scroll down a bit for the podcast):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/07/ ... 3-reunion/
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

This might be the strangest thing I've ever posted on this here board, but I think J might be a fan of "Candy Crush Saga". Why do I reckon our man plays this silly but horribly addictive smartphone game, you ask? Have a wee listen to this in-game music :wink: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZfoeAQdN8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Nailed it. The tympani, the autoharp, the descending doo-wop arpeggios... :shock:
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

And I don't know
if candy's
The Prize

:wink: :D
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Wow. :shock:
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Ha!
Beautiful.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I love that it's the Jelly level :lol:

Think I actually prefer it to J's version. There's a certain whackedout-ness to it.

Seriously though, what's the story here? Potential lawsuit on the way? Or did he part fund the album with this?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

How Odd. I do really like it, but the candy crush track is 5 years old, so unless Jason did produce it for them, the lawsuit could be heading in Spirituaized's direction?

It kind of reminds of the first time I saw the toffee crisp advert and freaked the fuck out.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

clewsr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:28 am so unless Jason did produce it for them, the lawsuit could be heading in Spiritualized's direction?
That's what I meant. He couldn't be that blatant and not expect to be hit with a lawsuit.
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7yW3fIb6iQ

Very nice performance of Let's Dance with two bonuses (don't check the comments of the video, spoilers!!)
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Finally was able to sit down and listen to this record in full. I had watched one video but nothing else since the release. I waited 6 years, what’s a few months extra? I was extremely excited after reading the glowing reviews here.

Unfortunately I don’t really care for it at all. Feels like a bunch of songs I already heard from Mr. Spaceman. I am thinking it should have been called And Nothing New. I haven’t loved a SPZ album since LICD but I usually love at least a few songs. Couldn’t find one song to move me. Maybe when I catch them live this will change. Maybe I just take fewer drugs these days. Not really sure why, but it is definitely bumming me out.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Well, everyone has his own opinion of course.
However, I still think 'And Nothing Hurt' is a great achievement. Just listen to 'Damaged', that song blows me away and gives me goosebumps at the same time.
"Thank you"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd honestly say keep listening- I found this album to be a grower myself. I liked it okay on first listen, but it only really flowered as I kept listening.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Seeing them play it live made it all "click" for me. They played them so well, and the songs came across a lot better than the recording. The album sounds a little withdrawn to me, so hearing them tear through them live was an eye-opener and a much better presentation of these songs.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Am I right in saying that Jason said there's sirens hidden on this album somewhere? After a very loud listen to the album on earphones just now, I think I might have spotted them. 3:48 into Here it Comes? That or the tinnitus has gone into overdrive!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not sure I`ve seen this interview linked to here before, last November so I guess It falls under ANH promotion

https://thecreativeindependent.com/peop ... your-time/
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

niamhm wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 am Not sure I`ve seen this interview linked to here before, last November so I guess It falls under ANH promotion

https://thecreativeindependent.com/peop ... your-time/
Thanks for posting this!

When did Jason perform with Nick Cave?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Pat Garrett wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 am When did Jason perform with Nick Cave?
I seem to remember him joining the Bad Seeds for a performance of Stagger Lee, maybe at an ATP festival in Australia a few years ago.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so believe it or not, it's now been 10 months since And Nothing Hurt came out.
we are not far off a year since it's release.. and no proper UK tour, no further videos or anything.
anyone think it's been weirdly low key?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am so believe it or not, it's now been 10 months since And Nothing Hurt came out.
we are not far off a year since it's release.. and no proper UK tour, no further videos or anything.
Yep. Probably due to no UK/Irish dates other than one-offs or festival appearances. Our American friends might feel differently?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 am
angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am so believe it or not, it's now been 10 months since And Nothing Hurt came out.
Yep. Probably due to no UK/Irish dates other than one-offs or festival appearances. Our American friends might feel differently?
true. there is probably a different feel over the pond as they have done a proper tour.
it's not like Spiritualized are not a band who likes to tour. they usually like getting out there as much as possible. but this time that's only really happened in the states.
now we are getting a random Acoustic Mainlines show, over a decade after last time?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

No proper UK tour dates yet seems really odd. The further from the album release we get, the further Spiritualized are distanced from the enthusiasm generated - which seems like valuable capital being wasted, in terms of generating maximum interest for fans likely to buy tickets.

The line between conventional touring and playing the festival circuit over the summer months, is one that's become increasingly blurred. The latter has the advantage of guaranteed paydays, but sometimes artists are contractually obliged to not potentially cannibalise their own audience by playing other gigs.

I'm glad I made it to the Edinburgh gig, though I very nearly didn't plus it cost loads once travel etc was added in. I was hesitant, as given the hint Jason dropped in an interview last year, I expected to find that as soon as I bought all relevant tickets and made arrangements etc - I'd see a string of UK gigs announced!

Not wanting to question Jason's artistic choices, but I wonder how much his insistence on playing the entire new album at every gig has impacted on both prior and projected ticket sales?

I enjoyed hearing the whole album live a lot more than I expected to. I was especially pleased that it didn't drag at all once we got to the Sail On Through and The Prize. However given the choice, I'd now prefer to hear a regular electric set at the next electric gig!

What's this about a random Acoustic Mainlines show, I seem to have missed that?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle