Hammersmith Sep 18 - what will the set be?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

endsprings
Known user

Re: Hammersmith Sep 18 - what will the set be?

Post by endsprings »

Was such a good gig. The new album sounded incredible live!
IMG_20180922_073435_325.jpg
IMG_20180922_073435_325.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 18356 times
IMG_20180922_073435_339.jpg
IMG_20180922_073435_339.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 18356 times
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
JJ1977
Known user

Post by JJ1977 »

Avid reader rare poster, my take on last night..

Simply incredible show, sound was so crisp and loud.

Most animated and loud crowd I’ve seen in 25+ shows that I’ve seen, new album was rapturously received.

Let’s Dance and On The Sunshine we’re big highlights, the white noise meltdown in the middle of OTS one of the best I’ve seen.

THE ENCORE! All of it but Happy Day, I thought I’d heard enough but this version took it up a level... so much so that they seemed to set the stage on fire!Seriously...There were definitely flames behind the drummer... must have been a light or something.. seemed to put itself out by the end but not before our nearest fire exit had been identified!

Roll on the next round of tour dates...😀
white___light
New user

Post by white___light »

JJ1977 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm Avid reader rare poster, my take on last night..

Most animated and loud crowd I’ve seen in 25+ shows that I’ve seen, new album was rapturously received.

Let’s Dance and On The Sunshine we’re big highlights, the white noise meltdown in the middle of OTS one of the best I’ve seen.

THE ENCORE! All of it but Happy Day, I thought I’d heard enough but this version took it up a level... so much so that they seemed to set the stage on fire!Seriously...There were definitely flames behind the drummer... must have been a light or something.. seemed to put itself out by the end but not before our nearest fire exit had been identified!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The Oh, Happy Day finale was really something special. I could have listened to the band on a loop playing that wonderfully uplifting and inspiring refrain all night long.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

ronn109 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 am

The set list worked very well and had me in tears quite often!
Yes, grown men do cry ! at special moments.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

space wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 am
Billy Whizz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 am
BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 am Shine a light > Stay With Me?

How is that even possible??!!
I should have the recording soon so we'll find out!

I put Hold On as the first track, but it was only the first verse of Hold On as kind of an intro, then he ended with the same thing. I'm wondering if this is to do with certain themes on the album, as well as losing his mother.
full recording?!
Hopefully everything apart from the encore.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Billy Whizz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I put Hold On as the first track, but it was only the first verse of Hold On as kind of an intro, then he ended with the same thing. I'm wondering if this is to do with certain themes on the album, as well as losing his mother.
full recording?!

Man I'd love to hear it again. Was such an amazing gig.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

endsprings wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 pm

full recording?!

I have videos of Let's Dance, On The Sunshine and Damaged uploading. Not amazing quality but decent enough until a better recording surfaces.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I always had an inlking this show would feature the new album in full :)

its very gratifying to hear rave reports of this show. especially from veterans who have seen the band many times. glad to hear the noise sections were still there as well- with the album being quite mellow if they didn't do it right, it could have killed some momentum.

Hold On has to have been chosen for a specific reason (not played for what 15 years, and as a reprise too?!)- I would concur because of the thematic resonance with much of the new album.

in that setlist only Come Together and Soul On Fire could conceivably be called 'hits'- respect to Jason!

with Soul On Fire isn't this the first ever time it's been played with full strings and choir?

the light show looks brilliant too from what I can tell?

roll on the 2019 tour, I say... hopefully it will involve some messageboard meetups which will be sorely needed after no psych fest this year.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Let's Dance: https://streamable.com/q1vjr

On The Sunshine: https://streamable.com/uvxvr

The noise section in On The Sunshine was too much for the phone's camera to handle unfortunately, so the sound goes a bit weird there.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Billy Whizz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:36 pm
endsprings wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 pm

full recording?!

I have videos of Let's Dance, On The Sunshine and Damaged uploading. Not amazing quality but decent enough until a better recording surfaces.
Cool, I'll check them out 👍
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Wow! Thanks for posting these nuggets. Superb
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Well, what a night! Apologies for my rather pointless comments earlier, but I just wanted to catch the moment.

For whatever reason, I decided not to go to the Royal Albert Hall back in 1997, a decision I bitterly regretted once I read Steven Wells’ review, and compounded by their appearance on Jools Holland with choir, strings and brass. Then the album came out, and I convinced myself that it can’t have been anywhere near as good as it sounds – somebody spent a lot of time mixing/mastering the final result.

Fast forward to the first Ladies & Gents show at the Royal Festival Hall. Not only were we getting the full orchestra, but we’d got a band that could play the songs (because apparently the ’97 line-up couldn’t – which I find very hard to believe). You can imagine my relief when, despite everything that was thrown at it, most of the detail got lost in the mush. Yes, there was a choir, strings etc. in there somewhere, and it was a glorious experience, but it didn’t sound anything like the RAH recording or the appearance on Jools Holland. And OF COURSE it wouldn’t, because, let’s face it, those two performances were manufactured; the product of inputs to the sound desk and hours/months of mixing/mastering. So I probably didn’t miss much at the Royal Albert Hall, and all is well with the world. I always use the video of Come Together on Jools Holland when trying to explain Spiritualized

And now we’re in 2018. I love the new album but was reluctant to subject myself to the disappointment of a big show with orchestra, choir etc. and was hanging on for smaller dates to be announced. The nagging doubt that this could be my last opportunity to see them eventually pushed me to get seats for the show, but because I was slow to order, I ended up pretty much bang in the middle of the circle. The omens were not good, and I didn’t want to tarnish the good vibes I had around the album. In an ideal world the gig would be the new album in its entirety with an encore of a few crowd pleasers, but let’s face it, that’s unlikely to happen.

When I eventually got to my seat, I was actually pleasantly surprised. Good view, and being further back meant that I could take in the full panorama – all the gear took up the full width of the stage. There were speakers nearby, and when Yak fired up (to a disappointingly small crowd at that point), it was clear the sound was great. Lovely set by Yak, never heard of them before (other than the mentions in the Uncut interview) – tight, energetic and relentless; one song seguing into another just like Spiritualized in the old days.

In no time at all, their set was over and it was all hands to the decks to clear their stuff out of the way ready for Spiritualized. The seats around us started to rapidly fill up. At this point, can I mention my one major gripe – people who get up for a beer/piss/whatever in a seated venue. The couple in front of me must’ve got up 8 times through the 2 hours, and every time they got up, everyone to their left had to get up. And this was repeated all over the place. Just look at mkb’s video – that’s only minutes into the set. Really? Now this is going to make me sound like the middle-aged old fart that I am, but when you go to the ballet or the opera, NO-ONE gets up. And half the audience there are micro-bladdered octogenarians. I can’t understand why people who’ve paid good money for their seats do this. I was mightily pissed off, and if I’d travelled the distance some folk would’ve done for this gig, I would be seething.

Talking of demographics, all of life was at the gig, which I find wonderful. And the most square-looking of people (I include myself in that description), were up and dancing in the aisles (now you see, that’s allowed) to stuff like ‘Out of Sight’. Marvellous.

Anyway, rant over, I’m getting ahead of myself.

The band come on, looking not like a dole queue on smack, but like musicians fired up and ready to play. No Pure Phase eeeEEEeeeEEEeee. Hmm, is this a proper Spz gig? Crowd roar, enter Jason, roar intensifies. Everything settles down and Jason starts up, voice loud and voice clear, with the first verse of Hold On. As previously mentioned I also think this alludes to themes of the album and the loss of his mother. I’m now expecting the usual breakdown into cacophony, strobes etc. and then break instantly into a ballad maybe. But no, ‘Hold On’ tails off, there’s the usual minor inter-song squeaking/squalling, and then what’s this? Come Together? At the start of the set? The balls of it!

We’ve got the abstract projections going on (same as in other recent – well 2013 – shows). And I can hear the choir. This is Jools Holland all over again. And then those brassy horns. Ecstasy!

You know the set list (from previous posts) – I had a bit of anxiety that we might not be hearing anything from the new album, but who can complain with Shine A Light with a full choir, Stay with Me with tubular bells, Soul on Fire with strings and Broken Heart with kettle drums. Many tears were shed by me. Then huge morse code projected on the backdrop meant only one thing - And Nothing Hurt in its entirety. B E A utiful. I know Spiritualized aren’t about faithfully reproducing an album live (and I loved the re-interpretations at the L & G shows), but the ANH songs were pretty close to the recorded versions – and this actually worked for me, it was just what I needed!

So someone else saw those flames behind Kev during Oh Happy Day! I thought I’d imagined it, and had visions of either burning to death (but what a time to go) or someone running on stage with an extinguisher and ruining the moment.

I could go on, but I’ve been writing this on and off for the past two days (got home at 2:30am yesterday morning and then at a wedding all day yesterday). This is all rather self-indulgent and I should draw a line under it. Good times :D

p.s. Wish I'd gone to the RAH in '97 now :(
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Sorry, me again...

How could I forget to mention Doggen"s fantastic wah-Monica?

And lovely to see all of the band members taking time to individually thank the choir master as they left the stage.

Px
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/ ... llo-london

The reviewer makes J. sound like a geriatric.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

What a great Gig! Like Spiby i missed the Albert hall in 1997, and always regretted it. The fact that more than 21 years later I still have the chance to see life-afirming shows like this is amazing really.

The teaser of old stuff before the new stuff came along was very effective. I was so pleased when they launched in the the new album, and I thought there was a marked difference. Just loving these new songs. Only damaged of the new album doesn't do much for me. It feels like a re-tread of 'oh baby' to me, which I'ver never been a fan of.

It was a great night, well worth making ther journey for; the orchestra, horns and choir, just fantastic. Nice to attend a Spiritualized gig with my Girlfrend for the first time in many years. She enjoyed it too, and was also particulalrly impressed by ther lack of queues in the girls loos... lots of jokes about mainly men of a certain age liking Spiritualized.
mjs110
New user

Post by mjs110 »

Short, 5* review: 'Pop review: Spiritualized at the Eventim Apollo, W6' [Times, 2018-09-24] https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pop- ... -rcn7xdt5k

'An orchestra, a gospel choir and various guitarists and drummers filled the stage, leaving Pierce as a shadowy figure, sitting at the side and not saying a word between songs while utilising his supporting cast to turn And Nothing Hurt into the epic it would have been, had economics allowed. Free jazz, country and garage rock collided in music that had vulnerability under the bombast. I’m Your Man, in which Pierce confessed to being “wasted, loaded, permanently folded” in cracked tones, was a touching celebration of imperfection.

Anything can be made to sound good with a choir and an orchestra, but Pierce has fashioned something unique with Spiritualized. To go from the junkie’s lament Come Together to the wholesome gospel Oh Happy Day, with its refrain of “Jesus washed my sins away”, and for it to feel of a piece is an achievement indeed. The set began and ended with Hold On, a (seemingly) heartfelt ode to companionship, wrapping up a concert that displayed clarity of vision and no small amount of musicians to sign cheques for. It may not be good for his bank balance, but Pierce’s maximal approach does make for a remarkable live experience.'
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

The Times gives it 5*'s, but the rest is behind a paywall..

★★★★★
This year, Jason “Spaceman” Pierce has faced something of a crisis. Ever since he formed Spiritualized from the ashes of minimal pioneers Spacemen 3 in 1990, Pierce has been going the other way and getting maximal: he’s made albums with big choirs, big orchestras and small armies of guitarists armed with effects pedals.

The result is a sound that captures the transcendental experiences of religious salvation, narcotic oblivion and the giddiness of being in love, with masterpieces such as 1997’s Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space — a heartbreak
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

pretty much every review or article about the band seems legally obliged to mention that they "formed from ashes of" Spacemen 3 but more importantly, that Sp3 once did an album called 'Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To'. was that even a title that the band came up with? wasn't it effectively a bootleg?
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:45 pm pretty much every review or article about the band seems legally obliged to mention that they "formed from ashes of" Spacemen 3 but more importantly, that Sp3 once did an album called 'Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To'. was that even a title that the band came up with? wasn't it effectively a bootleg?
yes, it sets the context for those who a) don't know spiritualized b)remember space 3 from their 20s. spiritualized are hardly a house hold name
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:45 pm pretty much every review or article about the band seems legally obliged to mention that they "formed from ashes of" Spacemen 3 but more importantly, that Sp3 once did an album called 'Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To'. was that even a title that the band came up with? wasn't it effectively a bootleg?
Others can reply with more accuracy in respect of the genesis of "Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To" - I just like to think of it as the first Spacemen 3 album, since it sounds so much better compared to the rather flat Sound Of Confusion record.

Use of that title in reviews is just a standard journalistic shorthand contextual tool, bifurcating an already catchy title which doubles as a referential mantra encapsulating a pertinent element and inspiration that forms a through line across Jason's musical career. It further serves to underline the writer's credibility, without hammering home the depth and breadth of their relevant knowledge.

Given the overall paucity of so much music writing these days, I'm just pleased when reviewers don't regurgitate a clichéd potted history of the formative band - referencing their influences, critical acclaim, subsequent influence and lack of commercial success. Even worse is some reference to a turbulent relationship between the principals, suggesting the nature of fruitful creative collaboration inevitably ends in Lennon/McCartney-esque tensions.

Commercial Spiritualized reviews have consistently relied on referencing themes which date back to the explosion of interest generated by the success of Ladies And Gentlemen... I guess Jason makes it easy to formulate a consistent set of boxes, to be checked each time and balanced against one another - in evaluating either a new album or performance.

Drug references have always been popular, since the rise of popular music journalism in the mid 1960s. In this respect Jason offers a veritable smorgasbord of opportunity to include such. And you can be sure reviewers will: it makes for easy and sleazy yet sexy rhetoric, whilst consistent themes from the depths of desperate heartbreak up to heightened religious-like states close a well trodden circular path.

Musing around where reality ends and metaphor begins, is always attractive to write and wax lyrical about. I think all the reviews we've had so far got the right message across reasonably well. It's just a shame they all sound so similar.

I particularly enjoyed the Guardian piece, where it was considered noteworthy enough to mention the surprise of Jason standing up and showing a lot more emotion than usual at the end of Oh Happy Day. That simple, small gesture speaks volumes to the Spiritualized fan - familiar with Jason's regular restrained stagecraft 8)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 pm
Others can reply with more accuracy in respect of the genesis of "Taking Drugs To Make Music To Take Drugs To"

Musing around where reality ends and metaphor begins, is always attractive to write and wax lyrical about. I think all the reviews we've had so far got the right message across reasonably well. It's just a shame they all sound so similar.
The genesis I can't be sure of, but didn't the band use this themselves, and even print and wear shirts with it on?

In a way I think the reviews are bound to be similar in many ways. There has been a set story behind the last 3 or 4 Spiritualized albums which is hammered home by Jason himself in every interview and press release before their release. Given the amount of time between albums, talk in reviews is likely to turn to the recording process and what the aims where. Jason's interviews gave a reasonably detailed and unwavering account of this, to the point where he was asked one question in the 6 Music interview and answered it with some of his rehearsed rhetoric about something else altogether! The reviews probably haven't been as similar as Jason's interviews. I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all, but it definitely is a thing!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I do see your point. The time lag is likely a factor most writers do not encounter with the majority of the artists they cover.

In a way, Jason seems to approach promotional interviews armed with rehearsed, pre-prepared talking points - like a stealthy and softly spoken smart political operator.

This repetition begins the cycle that ends in reviews. From that perspective, some degree of similarity in respect of the latter is inevitable.

However, wouldn't the smart writer surely anticipate this pattern, then forewarned and forearmed - strive towards differentiating their own output, enhancing the craft?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:06 pm I do see your point. The time lag is likely a factor most writers do not encounter with the majority of the artists they cover.

In a way, Jason seems to approach promotional interviews armed with rehearsed, pre-prepared talking points - like a stealthy and softly spoken smart political operator.

This repetition begins the cycle that ends in reviews. From that perspective, some degree of similarity in respect of the latter is inevitable.

However, wouldn't the smart writer surely anticipate this pattern, then forewarned and forearmed - strive towards differentiating their own output, enhancing the craft?
They would, depending on how familiar they are with Spiritualized I suppose. But that may also depend on how much their particular demographic is likely to know as well. If it was a publication aimed at 16-25s then they may not know much of the history or about Spacemen 3, leading to "...formed from the ashes of his previous band..." type lines. As a writer I've only ever reviewed one Spiritualized album. I might see if I can find it now actually.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Hmm, well it does fall into some of those traps, but my main issue is that I obviously didn't proof read it properly! http://soundsxp.com/artman2/publish/alb ... view.shtml
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Billy Whizz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:01 pm Hmm, well it does fall into some of those traps, but my main issue is that I obviously didn't proof read it properly! http://soundsxp.com/artman2/publish/alb ... view.shtml
That's a superb and well focused long-form write-up, with some very smart yet reader-friendly analysis - hitting the casual listener bullets, without diluting content aimed at the dedicated, hardcore fan. You neatly navigate around most of the usual traps!

I especially like how you take Jason's flawed "pop" premise and thoroughly deconstruct it, citing pertinent evidence. Bonus points for smartly avoiding any drug references, yet hitting all the key notes.

I don't agree that Little Girl has so much in common with Soul On Fire. I find the latter to be a lesser attempt at the epic sound already achieved with distinction on Stop Your Crying, which needed no follow-up.

Little Girl reminds me more of My Sweet Lord era George Harrison production, with neat solo guitar fills that could come straight from his original late '60s rosewood Thinline Telecaster - a la Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Where do you see issues with the proofing? It seems fine, though the "brush with death" parentheses are cliché and superfluous - yet perfectly in sync with the Spaceman promo lines circulated widely during that period.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to read quality copy!
Dave Chappelle
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:45 pm
Billy Whizz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:01 pm Hmm, well it does fall into some of those traps, but my main issue is that I obviously didn't proof read it properly! http://soundsxp.com/artman2/publish/alb ... view.shtml
That's a superb and well focused long-form write-up, with some very smart yet reader-friendly analysis - hitting the casual listener bullets, without diluting content aimed at the dedicated, hardcore fan. You neatly navigate around most of the usual traps!

I especially like how you take Jason's flawed "pop" premise and thoroughly deconstruct it, citing pertinent evidence. Bonus points for smartly avoiding any drug references, yet hitting all the key notes.

I don't agree that Little Girl has so much in common with Soul On Fire. I find the latter to be a lesser attempt at the epic sound already achieved with distinction on Stop Your Crying, which needed no follow-up.

Little Girl reminds me more of My Sweet Lord era George Harrison production, with neat solo guitar fills that could come straight from his original late '60s rosewood Thinline Telecaster - a la Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Where do you see issues with the proofing? It seems fine, though the "brush with death" parentheses are cliché and superfluous - yet perfectly in sync with the Spaceman promo lines circulated widely during that period.

Thanks for sharing. Always good to read quality copy!
Thanks, glad you liked it! When you're writing and reviewing music full time as I was then it can be tough not to slip into cliches and repetition sometimes.

I think what I was getting at with the Soul On Fire comparison is the pop element really. If you were going to introduce Spiritualized to someone who didn't really like 'alternative' music then both would be good choices as potential stepping stones. I seem to remember Jason saying that he wasn't sure about including Soul On Fire on the album because it was too pop, but in the end he thought it was too good a song to throw away. I'd say Little Girl is the most immediate and accessible track on SHSL for more mainstream listeners. So it was that album's version of SoF in a way, but I certainly see your point.

The Abbey Road influence has been mentioned in relation to the new album, particularly I'm Your Man, but with SHSL it wasn't really something I noticed at the time. It did strike me very much as sounding like those early Neil Young/Nitzsche albums though. Particularly the backing vocals and arrangement. I suppose that would fit with All Things Must Pass as well, and there's clearly a link between the two given that Nitzsche worked so much with Phil Spector.

Regards proofing, I could see a few parts that could have better punctuation, and I used "as" where "to" would probably have worked better, amongst one or two other things. Nothing major.
rbuk20
Known user

Post by rbuk20 »

white___light wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 pm
JJ1977 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm Avid reader rare poster, my take on last night..

Couldn't have put it better myself.

The Oh, Happy Day finale was really something special. I could have listened to the band on a loop playing that wonderfully uplifting and inspiring refrain all night long.
Can anyone report on what merchandise was sold at the concert? Any tour specific items or just what’s on the spiritualized website? I was disappointed by the Huh? shirt but this batch seems to be quite an improvement.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

rbuk20 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:45 am
Can anyone report on what merchandise was sold at the concert? Any tour specific items or just what’s on the spiritualized website? I was disappointed by the Huh? shirt but this batch seems to be quite an improvement.
The same stuff as on the website...
pdine
New user

Post by pdine »

Last two minutes of So Long You Pretty Thing (apologies for dodgy cellphone recording):

https://streamable.com/jri8r

Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

From Hammersmith

Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go vid: https://streamable.com/w2zuv
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Billy Whizz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:46 pm From Hammersmith

So so good. One of my fav ones from the album. Thanks for uploading.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

endsprings wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 am

More on the way. It's taking a while to get everything done, apologies for that. The quality isn't great but hopefully a decent bootleg appears at some point.

Also from Hammersmith - The Prize: https://streamable.com/coplj
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

From Hammersmith...

Sail On Through: https://streamable.com/zw65q

It's just over 5 minutes long and then reached the data limit on the phone, so not 100% complete I'm afraid.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Billy Whizz wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:12 am
endsprings wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:04 am

More on the way. It's taking a while to get everything done, apologies for that. The quality isn't great but hopefully a decent bootleg appears at some point.

Also from Hammersmith - The Prize: https://streamable.com/coplj

Cool. Yeah I'd love it if a recording was made. Thanks man.
space
Known user

Post by space »

wasn't there a recording made?
Neil Lights
New user

Post by Neil Lights »

Many thanks to all the posters, so lovely to see some of the videos, photos and reviews, looks like it was a stunning evening.
Eat lights become lights
dogfacedboy
New user

Post by dogfacedboy »

My tape of the gig as heard from the 2nd row

https://mega.nz/#!zx9xSAwC!r8ZgjKy6FIcG ... tfj7IofB7s

share and enjoy
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

dogfacedboy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 pm My tape of the gig as heard from the 2nd row

share and enjoy
Hey, Thanks for This! Just got it cranked up on the stereo now! 8) 8) 8) Great Work 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

dogfacedboy wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:58 pm My tape of the gig as heard from the 2nd row

share and enjoy
thanks so much for recording this, hoping to give it a listen over the next couple of days
Sealard
Known user

Post by Sealard »

share and enjoy
Thank you so much, I have hazy memories of the night, hopefully this will help fill in the blanks ;)
Just started to listen, sounds great!
1.jpg
1.jpg (361.3 KiB) Viewed 16874 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (432.78 KiB) Viewed 16874 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (427.62 KiB) Viewed 16874 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (414.66 KiB) Viewed 16874 times
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Wonderful pics Sealard! :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

share and enjoy
Thank you so much for the time and effort in recording this, and especially for sharing.

Incredible. Last night I only got as far as 'Shine a light' - and I'm amazed. Hearing that with the choir and strings is just something I can't even get close to. Best version ever for me... like the 2008 takes on proper orange sunshine.

Again, massive appreciations your way.

And yes, beautiful pictures indeed Sealard.

Two amazing bootlegs in one week?

What a time to be alive.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Some great photos of the night here also - courtesy of DIYmag and Fraser Stephen...
O P 8
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

share and enjoy
Thank you so much for recording and uploading. Sounds amazing. So good to have a record of the best gig I've been too!
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

share and enjoy
Only had one prob. My iTunes wouldn't recognise the Flac files so had to convert to mp3. Also do the flac files ever so slightly pop on some tracks? Thought it might be because of recording so close to the stage?

Thanks.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Sealard wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 pm

share and enjoy
Thank you so much, I have hazy memories of the night, hopefully this will help fill in the blanks ;)
Just started to listen, sounds great!
Such quality pics. So good.
Sealard
Known user

Post by Sealard »

endsprings, I converted to mp3 also for my iPhone, I didn't notice any "pops". Maybe it was your conversion?

I knocked together some artwork using a photo and my ticket, here's a copy if anyone wants to use it :)
Hammersmith.jpg
Hammersmith.jpg (336.04 KiB) Viewed 16665 times
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 pm

What a time to be alive.
What other one have I missed BZA??
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Sealard wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 am endsprings, I converted to mp3 also for my iPhone, I didn't notice any "pops". Maybe it was your conversion?

I knocked together some artwork using a photo and my ticket, here's a copy if anyone wants to use it :)

Hammersmith.jpg

Yeah not the best programme I use. Cool artwork too 👍
dogfacedboy
New user

Post by dogfacedboy »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 pm
Thank you so much for the time and effort in recording this, and especially for sharing.

Incredible. Last night I only got as far as 'Shine a light' - and I'm amazed. Hearing that with the choir and strings is just something I can't even get close to. Best version ever for me... like the 2008 takes on proper orange sunshine.

Again, massive appreciations your way.

And yes, beautiful pictures indeed Sealard.

What a time to be alive.
Helped that the sound guy had things nailed down from the off - we actually went and thanked him for a job well done at the end - think that must not happen much as he was really surprised and grateful
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

dogfacedboy wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:25 pm
Helped that the sound guy had things nailed down from the off - we actually went and thanked him for a job well done at the end - think that must not happen much as he was really surprised and grateful
I think his name is Paddy (he was wearing a Peter & the Test Tube Babies t-shirt in Paris), and the new rhythm guitarist thanked him after the show...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I do think sound engineers should be thanked more. they are often what makes the band sounds so good, or at the very least they can lift a good gig into greatness

mixing an orchestra etc with a loud rock band must be murder. the sound at the first Ladies & Gents show at the Royal Festival Hall was rather muddy.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 pm I do think sound engineers should be thanked more. they are often what makes the band sounds so good, or at the very least they can lift a good gig into greatness

mixing an orchestra etc with a loud rock band must be murder. the sound at the first Ladies & Gents show at the Royal Festival Hall was rather muddy.
Adding orchestral and choral ensembles to rock bands is a really challenging mixing gig, especially when the overall style and specifically the house and stage volume is at rock'n'roll levels.

If you listen carefully to some of the quieter parts (eg at the start of tracks like Let's Dance) you can hear how heavily gated Jason's mic is - every time he sings you hear the mic open up, and the wash from the stage is so audible it almost sounds like the IEM ambience feed has been solo'd and routed to the house itself!

Now multiply that potential for intrusive noise by the number of mics (and other potential sources such as susceptible instrument pickups) in use on stage at any one time.

Getting a clean and consistent house sound at these type of gigs is a real art form, and not a mix you can easily clean up by piling on all the modern accoutrements in the digital mixing toolbox (eg Waves and similar fancy plugins). The room plus quality of the PA and monitoring will also have a big impact

It takes considerable skill and experience, hence it's good to hear folks complementing the crew who apparently put on such a good show!
Dave Chappelle
JonnyM101
New user

Post by JonnyM101 »

[/quote]
Hi, new member here - actually I bought a tour tee from the official merch stall: black with the album cover on the front and tour dates on the back. Not on the website or anywhere else, AFAIK. :D
coffeepotman
Known user

Post by coffeepotman »

endsprings wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 pm

share and enjoy
Thank you so much for recording and uploading. Sounds amazing. So good to have a record of the best gig I've been too!
Thank you kindly! Now really excited about the show in Brooklyn tonight!
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

coffeepotman wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:01 pm
endsprings wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 pm

share and enjoy
Thank you kindly! Now really excited about the show in Brooklyn tonight!
Enjoy the show :D