Official Welcoming Thread

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

space
Known user

Official Welcoming Thread

Post by space »

howdy,

now the site is linked to the spiritualized website you may be new here. so if you are, take this time to introduce yourself and say hi!
white___light
New user

Re: official welcoming thread

Post by white___light »

Hi, new to the forum, but not new to the band.

I actually bought Anyway That You Want Me when it was released back in 1990, but I fell away from the band after Ladies And Gentlemen was released.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when i listened to the NPR stream of And Nothing Hurt and loved it so much that i bought the album plus the rest of the back-catalogue I missed in the intervening years

I was also fortunate enough to see the band last Friday in London, which for a first time seeing the band live, was just amazing.
space
Known user

Post by space »

white___light wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm Hi, new to the forum, but not new to the band.

I actually bought Anyway That You Want Me when it was released back in 1990, but I fell away from the band after Ladies And Gentlemen was released.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when i listened to the NPR stream of And Nothing Hurt and loved it so much that i bought the album plus the rest of the back-catalogue I missed in the intervening years

I was also fortunate enough to see the band last Friday in London, which for a first time seeing the band live, was just amazing.
welcome! you also have the luck of rediscovering the back catalogue! two live boots you may live are the acoustic mainlines and the albert hall just before sweet heart sweet light. but welcome and happy hunting!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

space wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm two live boots you may live are the acoustic mainlines and the albert hall just before sweet heart sweet light. but welcome and happy hunting!
Excellent advice!

I'm probably biased, but I much prefer the 2011 RAH recording to the official earlier live album, from the same venue.

There are a variety of Acoustic Mainlines out there, but either Colchester or Salford plus the better Union Chapel recording provide neat bookends to a truly stunning succession of concert experiences...at least to get started.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Welcome Mr/Mrs/Ms/Other Light!

I don't actually have the second RAH bootleg mentioned there. I think I disappeared from the forum before that because I didn't know it still existed. I joined in 2004 (previous account was KevW) but then the forum vanished (so I thought) and I didn't stumble upon it again until this summer.

Does anyone have a link for it?

Most of my bootlegs are earlier stuff, including a couple of really good DVDs actually.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
white___light
New user

Post by white___light »

space wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm
white___light wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm Hi, new to the forum, but not new to the band.

welcome! you also have the luck of rediscovering the back catalogue! two live boots you may live are the acoustic mainlines and the albert hall just before sweet heart sweet light. but welcome and happy hunting!
Thanks for the welcome!

Amazing Grace & Songs in A&E arrived in the post yesterday and SHSL is expected today. Going to be hard to find time to listen to these when i'm enjoying ANH so much.

I found a link in an earlier thread to one of the Acoustic Mainline shows from the Union Chapel which sounds fantastic. I can see that show getting a lot of listens.

What's special about the RAH pre-SHSL?
space
Known user

Post by space »

white___light wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 am
space wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm

I found a link in an earlier thread to one of the Acoustic Mainline shows from the Union Chapel which sounds fantastic. I can see that show getting a lot of listens.

What's special about the RAH pre-SHSL?
you'll see. i've uploaded an acou ml st mary's show and the pre shsl rah show

https://wsi.li/K698ZNi0kdBf/921812

nudge: billy
space
Known user

Post by space »

Billy Whizz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 pm

here you go! link lasts 7 days
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

space wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am

Nice one!
white___light
New user

Post by white___light »

space wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you!
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Hi,

New to the forum. Have always liked the band but never followed them religiously. Already had Songs in A & E, Ladies and Gentleman.... and Amazing Grace but when the new album came out.....Wow! Was totally hooked again. Have bought all the other albums to get up to speed.

Got to see them live for the first time in London on the 21st. Such an amazing gig. The new album sounded so good live. Loved the jamming sections. Was so cool they played it all the way through too.

Stephen.
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
space
Known user

Post by space »

endsprings wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm Hi,

New to the forum. Have always liked the band but never followed them religiously. Already had Songs in A & E, Ladies and Gentleman.... and Amazing Grace but when the new album came out.....Wow! Was totally hooked again. Have bought all the other albums to get up to speed.

Got to see them live for the first time in London on the 21st. Such an amazing gig. The new album sounded so good live. Loved the jamming sections. Was so cool they played it all the way through too.

Stephen.
welcome! i'm sure the admin will be very happy for new blood! 8) :wink:

it will be great to get your perspective on the albums you are catching up on!
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

space wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:01 pm
endsprings wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:19 pm Hi,

Stephen.
welcome! i'm sure the admin will be very happy for new blood! 8) :wink:

it will be great to get your perspective on the albums you are catching up on!

I'll try to post my thoughts once I've delved deeper!
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What a nice spot to see here. It's so good to have the opportunity to welcome Spiritualized fans who are new to the band or who might not have been aware of this community, a place that has been quietly thriving for well over 15 years.

You'll find lots of very friendly and highly knowledgeable folks here. Not just in terms of Spiritualized but a whole variety of music and more.

Jump aboard and join in!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I don't actually have the second RAH bootleg mentioned there. I think I disappeared from the forum before that because I didn't know it still existed. I joined in 2004 (previous account was KevW) but then the forum vanished (so I thought) and I didn't stumble upon it again until this summer.

Here you go...

Unfortunately the link you recieved earlier is of the wrong gig entirely.
O P 8
space
Known user

Post by space »

my mistake, unfortunately the folder had been mistitled by the person i got it from!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm
space wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm two live boots you may live are the acoustic mainlines and the albert hall just before sweet heart sweet light. but welcome and happy hunting!
There are a variety of Acoustic Mainlines out there, but either Colchester or Salford plus the better Union Chapel recording provide neat bookends to a truly stunning succession of concert experiences...at least to get started.
Hmm.

No mention at all for the superlative Edinburgh gig, which demonstrates a remarkable and overwhelming frission between the audience and the band, not least due to the intoxication of the audience and the emotional charge propelled back to the said musicians?

Plus: there is much aural enjoyment to be had during the elongated take of one of the band's better known works, during which there is an explosion of spontaneous applause which will literally bring forth moisture to one's own eyeballs.

I find such a reply wanting. :wink:

Anyway...

Edinburgh 2006 is the best. Veiko recorded it, but this one by Tufty just nails it. The audience sounds more like an AC/DC gig than a quiet, reverential thing. Just a glorious night + + +

Jason said it better than me though, a decade ago :|

'Well, at the Edinburgh show last year (2006) - I keep going back to that one because it was a real high - when we played 'Ladies and Gentlemen' everybody in the audience stood up at the end wouldn't sit down - and this was in the middle of the show. I turned round to the choir and they were all crying, big tears rolling off their cheeks, so I started crying too..."
O P 8
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:57 pm

Here you go...

Unfortunately the link you recieved earlier is of the wrong gig entirely.
Ah OK. Thanks very much. So what was the other one I downloaded? I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Official Welcoming Thread

Post by BzaInSpace »

I wouldn't bother - the band played two warm-up gigs in Edinburgh and Leamington.

Both recordings were pretty rubbish. Plus at the RAH you had the massive choir and orchestra.
O P 8
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

BzaInSpace wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:04 pm
mojo filters wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 pm
Hmm.

No mention at all for the superlative Edinburgh gig, which demonstrates a remarkable and overwhelming frission between the audience and the band, not least due to the intoxication of the audience and the emotional charge propelled back to the said musicians?

Plus: there is much aural enjoyment to be had during the elongated take of one of the band's better known works, during which there is an explosion of spontaneous applause which will literally bring forth moisture to one's own eyeballs.

I find such a reply wanting. :wink:

Anyway...

Edinburgh 2006 is the best. Veiko recorded it, but this one by Tufty just nails it. The audience sounds more like an AC/DC gig than a quiet, reverential thing. Just a glorious night + + +

Jason said it better than me though, a decade ago :|

'Well, at the Edinburgh show last year (2006) - I keep going back to that one because it was a real high - when we played 'Ladies and Gentlemen' everybody in the audience stood up at the end wouldn't sit down - and this was in the middle of the show. I turned round to the choir and they were all crying, big tears rolling off their cheeks, so I started crying too..."
I have a feeling the Edinburgh gig is the one I have on DVD. Don't have access to my record (and CD etc) collection at the moment. I think I sent a couple of copies out to people on the forum many years ago though, so someone might have it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I didn't mention the Edinburgh gig because whilst it was a really fun gig to attend, with an enthusiastic crowd and party atmosphere that contrasted with the quiet and reverential audiences at the previous Acoustic Mainlines gigs I was lucky enough to also see - the recording I got had a lot of intrusive crowd noise, so whilst a nice souvenir, the full effect of the music didn't really come through compared with the recordings made at earlier dates.

I'll try the Tufty recording sometime though, in case that's better than the one I heard, plus you can never really have too many Spz gigs :wink:

I'd forgotten about Jason referencing Edinburgh as a particular highlight of the tour for him. It was great for me not only because it was such a fun gig, but I also got to meet several board members for the first time too!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

It was quite a night that's for sure - I got to meet many forum members for the first time also!

I think I was actually meant to meet you as well Mojo - do you remember?

A pal let me stay at his empty flat and there was a fair amount of Spiritualized-enhanced carnage that ensued into the early hours.

I remember playing 'Amen' on a guitar due to Veiko's insistence... :D
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I will always remember that night for Orbital spraining (breaking?) his ankle while doing some kind of comical climbing up a drainpipe routine and for Shaun/The Jig playing somebody's bagpipes at the hotel we were staying at! :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Reissue Programme seems to have garnered some new members so figured i'd give this thread a bump.

Don't be shy, we don't bite (no teeth, due to our age. Or heavy drug use in the 90s/00s).
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Hi,

The reissue programme has indeed alerted me to the fact that this forum is still going, and felt compelled to join up.

Hopefully I won't ask anything you all got bored of talking about a decade ago!
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

Venkman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm

people keep saying how they reread old threads from ten years ago, so you'll fit in fine!
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

[/quote]
[/quote]

I also don't have Colchester or Salford if any kind soul out there does please....

I'm also happy as always to see if I have anything other people are looking for...
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Dreamweapon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:41 am
[/quote]

I also don't have Colchester or Salford if any kind soul out there does please....

I'm also happy as always to see if I have anything other people are looking for...
[/quote]

Actually I was just looking for an audio version of the Spiritualized Iceland concert from 2010. I tried an old link from here but it no longer worked.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Venkman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm Hi,

The reissue programme has indeed alerted me to the fact that this forum is still going, and felt compelled to join up.

welcome Venkman! the more the merrier.
don't underestimate how much we like to talk about the same topics :)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

[/quote]
Actually I was just looking for an audio version of the Spiritualized Iceland concert from 2010. I tried an old link from here but it no longer worked.
[/quote]

Here's the Iceland show for you - Live @ Reykjavik Hljómskálarðurinn (Inspired By Iceland Concert) 01.07.2010

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ls8t38t ... 0.rar/file

Anyone else after anything in particular?
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Dreamweapon wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:21 am
[/quote]

Here's the Iceland show for you - Live @ Reykjavik Hljómskálarðurinn (Inspired By Iceland Concert) 01.07.2010

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ls8t38t ... 0.rar/file

Anyone else after anything in particular?
[/quote]

Thanks much!!!