March Paradiso 2019 gig

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Kenty1969
New user

March Paradiso 2019 gig

Post by Kenty1969 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Does anybody know if this gig will have the full orchestra etc like the two recent gigs in Hammersmith, London. I’m thinking of coming over from the UK for it. Ta

clewsr
Known user

Re: March Paradiso 2019 gig

Post by clewsr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:49 am

I'm going to this show., My guess would be no orchestra - given the big shows are very loss making - I imagine next years shows will be mostly normal band.

Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 am

Going off a recent interview (forgotten which one, someone posted it here a couple of days ago), I think the dates next year will be no choir or orchestra. Just the band and backing singers. I can't confirm that for sure though.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY

Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 am

I would also imagine that this show would be band only, as recently in France and Japan. I wish I had gone to the London show now, as ANH is becoming one of my favorite albums for a long time and I would have liked to have heard the full-on treatment with the orchestra. Hopefully there might be a reprise of these shows with support from the orchestra/organizer (as I believe was the case with the Oslo show last year) :)

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Are we to assume the Spanish gigs are just the regular band?
I've got to do my run before the flashing light comes.

momo_90
New user

Post by momo_90 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 pm

First post! I'm a new fan, went to the Primavera Sound show with orchestra and choir and was absolutely blown away, been listening to SPZ albums obsessively since then. And loving the new album! I've just made a decision to travel for the Amsterdam show, secured my tickets and just can't wait(dragging a potential new fan with me, too). I've got three questions for more experienced fans - first: how hard is it to get to the front row? Are there many fans queueing for hours before the gig? Second, will there be an opening act? And third - does Jason appreciate meeting fans? Is it a good idea to wait for him after the show? I'd love to get my ...And Nothing Hurt LP signed, but would hate to annoy the man/make him uncomfortable.

Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 am

momo_90 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 pm
First post! I'm a new fan, went to the Primavera Sound show with orchestra and choir and was absolutely blown away, been listening to SPZ albums obsessively since then. And loving the new album! I've just made a decision to travel for the Amsterdam show, secured my tickets and just can't wait(dragging a potential new fan with me, too). I've got three questions for more experienced fans - first: how hard is it to get to the front row? Are there many fans queueing for hours before the gig? Second, will there be an opening act? And third - does Jason appreciate meeting fans? Is it a good idea to wait for him after the show? I'd love to get my ...And Nothing Hurt LP signed, but would hate to annoy the man/make him uncomfortable.
Hi Momo and welcome to the board, we're a friendly bunch :) .

I'm sure you will have an amazing time in Amsterdam, the venue looks incredible.

In my experience (I've been to a lot of shows, since early Spacemen 3 days, but only ever in the UK so can't comment on continental shows), I have never had any trouble getting to the front, and have therefore never needed to get to the venue hours beforehand. I would think most shows I've gone to have been midweek, so I've had to drive there after work and depending on distance it could be getting on for 9pm before I get to the venue - even then I've been able to get in and work my way to the front. In more recent times I've noticed shows have started earlier than in the past, so I've had to make an effort to get to venues by 8pm.

As for support acts I would say the majority of gigs I have been to have not had any support - say maybe 20% have had a support. There again, up until mid-90's there was never an encore, but it's very unusual for there not to be an encore these days.

Speaking of which, I would say that in the very unlikely event there wasn't an encore (and it is on the setlist), it would indicate that the band were not happy with the gig, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to find Jason in order to meet him. Otherwise, as long as you can find him, treat him like you would anyone else - I'm sure he'd be more than happy to have a chat. You can tell if someone (anyone) is up for a chat or not, and if they're not, for whatever reason, then don't hassle them. :)

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi Momo, welcome!

I would agree with Spiby- never had a problem getting down the front at a Spz gig, if that's where you wanna be. it's not the sort of crowd that queues up for hours and then stakes out their territory at the front.

support act- although it's true that some of the bigger gigs with orchestra and stuff tend to have no support- in my experience most of the 'normal' Spiritualized shows have had a support act.

Jason seems a pretty private person, although he's probably nice enough when you meet him, I would not say he seems the kind to go out of his way to meet fans per se, so I wouldn't bet on it. I would say if you were to hang around, you would have much more chance of meeting the rest of the band such as Doggen etc.

momo_90
New user

Post by momo_90 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you for your kind answers, guys! My excitement grows every day, it's gonna be a great show!

As for meeting Jason - of course I won't try to force anything and will be respectful if it happens. Just wanted to know if he's ever said he'd rather not be approached, as some artists do :)