March Paradiso 2019 gig

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

Kenty1969
New user

March Paradiso 2019 gig

Post by Kenty1969 »

Does anybody know if this gig will have the full orchestra etc like the two recent gigs in Hammersmith, London. I’m thinking of coming over from the UK for it. Ta
clewsr
Known user

Re: March Paradiso 2019 gig

Post by clewsr »

I'm going to this show., My guess would be no orchestra - given the big shows are very loss making - I imagine next years shows will be mostly normal band.
Billy Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy Whizz »

Going off a recent interview (forgotten which one, someone posted it here a couple of days ago), I think the dates next year will be no choir or orchestra. Just the band and backing singers. I can't confirm that for sure though.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I would also imagine that this show would be band only, as recently in France and Japan. I wish I had gone to the London show now, as ANH is becoming one of my favorite albums for a long time and I would have liked to have heard the full-on treatment with the orchestra. Hopefully there might be a reprise of these shows with support from the orchestra/organizer (as I believe was the case with the Oslo show last year) :)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Are we to assume the Spanish gigs are just the regular band?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
momo_90
Known user

Post by momo_90 »

First post! I'm a new fan, went to the Primavera Sound show with orchestra and choir and was absolutely blown away, been listening to SPZ albums obsessively since then. And loving the new album! I've just made a decision to travel for the Amsterdam show, secured my tickets and just can't wait(dragging a potential new fan with me, too). I've got three questions for more experienced fans - first: how hard is it to get to the front row? Are there many fans queueing for hours before the gig? Second, will there be an opening act? And third - does Jason appreciate meeting fans? Is it a good idea to wait for him after the show? I'd love to get my ...And Nothing Hurt LP signed, but would hate to annoy the man/make him uncomfortable.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

momo_90 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 pm First post! I'm a new fan, went to the Primavera Sound show with orchestra and choir and was absolutely blown away, been listening to SPZ albums obsessively since then. And loving the new album! I've just made a decision to travel for the Amsterdam show, secured my tickets and just can't wait(dragging a potential new fan with me, too). I've got three questions for more experienced fans - first: how hard is it to get to the front row? Are there many fans queueing for hours before the gig? Second, will there be an opening act? And third - does Jason appreciate meeting fans? Is it a good idea to wait for him after the show? I'd love to get my ...And Nothing Hurt LP signed, but would hate to annoy the man/make him uncomfortable.
Hi Momo and welcome to the board, we're a friendly bunch :) .

I'm sure you will have an amazing time in Amsterdam, the venue looks incredible.

In my experience (I've been to a lot of shows, since early Spacemen 3 days, but only ever in the UK so can't comment on continental shows), I have never had any trouble getting to the front, and have therefore never needed to get to the venue hours beforehand. I would think most shows I've gone to have been midweek, so I've had to drive there after work and depending on distance it could be getting on for 9pm before I get to the venue - even then I've been able to get in and work my way to the front. In more recent times I've noticed shows have started earlier than in the past, so I've had to make an effort to get to venues by 8pm.

As for support acts I would say the majority of gigs I have been to have not had any support - say maybe 20% have had a support. There again, up until mid-90's there was never an encore, but it's very unusual for there not to be an encore these days.

Speaking of which, I would say that in the very unlikely event there wasn't an encore (and it is on the setlist), it would indicate that the band were not happy with the gig, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to find Jason in order to meet him. Otherwise, as long as you can find him, treat him like you would anyone else - I'm sure he'd be more than happy to have a chat. You can tell if someone (anyone) is up for a chat or not, and if they're not, for whatever reason, then don't hassle them. :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Hi Momo, welcome!

I would agree with Spiby- never had a problem getting down the front at a Spz gig, if that's where you wanna be. it's not the sort of crowd that queues up for hours and then stakes out their territory at the front.

support act- although it's true that some of the bigger gigs with orchestra and stuff tend to have no support- in my experience most of the 'normal' Spiritualized shows have had a support act.

Jason seems a pretty private person, although he's probably nice enough when you meet him, I would not say he seems the kind to go out of his way to meet fans per se, so I wouldn't bet on it. I would say if you were to hang around, you would have much more chance of meeting the rest of the band such as Doggen etc.
momo_90
Known user

Post by momo_90 »

Thank you for your kind answers, guys! My excitement grows every day, it's gonna be a great show!

As for meeting Jason - of course I won't try to force anything and will be respectful if it happens. Just wanted to know if he's ever said he'd rather not be approached, as some artists do :)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Get quite excited about the trip to Amsterdam now!

Some questions -

- Who else on this forum is going?
- Parradiso website says membership is required for some gigs. Does anyone know if this applies to the spz gig?
- Any word of a support?
- Any suggestions for bars or cafes nearby?
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I'll be there.

You'll need to buy a temporary membership (which is good for a month, wish I'd known about the Cinematic Orchestra show on the next night earlier), no mention of a support on the event page (compare and contrast with TCO event page), no idea about bars
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

I'm going too! The membershipfee is 3 or 4€ and there are plenty of bars around the venue. In the concerthall is a smokerserea where you can enjoy seasonable best before the show! Hope some show on this tour will be properly live documented, or streamed. A decent sounboard recording is also welcome! Ah, well, gave ANH another spin yesterday, and I'm hoping for at least 5 songs of the last album to be played. It's still a pretty damn fine record...
"Thank you"
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Craft & Draft has 40 craft beers on tap, pricey but good. I’m sat there now :D
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thanks. Herman. Membership sorted. Had a good day wandering around the city. Looking forward to the gig now.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Great gig yesterday! A bit the same as the Paris set from september.
Very thankfull crowd apart from the nuthead that shouted during Shine a light: 'Come on man, lighthen up'.
I think they sold out the 1500 capacity venue, which is a good thing. Overall a respectfull audience during the quiet parts.
One point of criticism: please add 2-3 more songs to the setlist, as I was waiting for 'Out of sight'...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvDz0MIBBdu ... dpj5jc6r3l
"Thank you"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

We enjoyed the show. Great venue. I must admit I struggled with the tempo though. It was fine to hear the whole album but better and louder songs at the end would really have helped.

I'd drop broken heart, so long you pretty thing and happy day in favour of heading for the top, smiles, or take me to the other side.

And why not play good dope good fun on a Friday night in Amsterdam ffs? ?

Two guitar players. The backing singers were really good.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I think I would find that setlist quite hard work.
I can understand the whole album thing with orchestra, choir and all the bells and whistles, but with just a core band? Strikes me as a bit of a snoozefest.

I'm still planning on making the trip to Belfast in May though! :roll:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Yeah. It probably didn't help that we couldn't see the guitarists from where we were, but the impressioni for last night was much more of a singer songwriter with backing band.

I miss the American flavour band. I still think that Hendon bridge gig was the best I'd seen them in a very long time
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

sunray wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:50 pm I think I would find that setlist quite hard work.
I can understand the whole album thing with orchestra, choir and all the bells and whistles, but with just a core band? Strikes me as a bit of a snoozefest.
It was a bit of a snoozefest. Playing ANH completely wit all the midtempo ballads was a bit demanding for me. The ‘encore’ of so long and happy day made up for it a bit. It was a fun gig but I left feeling underwhelmed.
The backing band was what indeed that, a backing band, a fine one, but lacking personality. And the drummer was not a very good one.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

clewsr wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:33 pm And why not play good dope good fun on a Friday night in Amsterdam ffs? ?
Or just play it at every gig.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Agreed :mrgreen:
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Similar setlist in Copenhagen. Without doubt the most boring Spz gig I've ever seen.
momo_90
Known user

Post by momo_90 »

I might be biased as a new fan, but I absolutely loved the Amsterdam gig. Though I agree setlist could use some tweaks. As much as I love ANH and was glad to hear all the songs live, mixing them with older tracks could make for a better flow. I was in the front row, right in front of Jason and managed to snatch a setlist in the end (as well as his guitar pick, haha, yea, i'm one of those people) - Out of Sight was listed but not played :(
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The size of the venue - which I'd been to once before, took me by surprise as when the missus and I took a break 2/3 of the way through the walk back to the rear took forever as the place was very full. I know I'm getting older but I thought it was pretty uncomfortable in there in terms of how crowded it was.

The set was, as others have said, mainly ANH after a few older tunes. I too missed the noisier songs - On The Sunshine and The Morning After were both excellent and managed to include some welcome intensity. The pick of the quieter stuff were Here It Comes and Let's Dance, both hypnotic and beautiful. The rest of the show was Ok but I wasn't really moved in the way I have been. A decent show but far from the heights that have been achieved previously.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Unfortunately I was unable to go, but I get the impression from earlier comments that the line up was not the usual suspects - no Doggen or Kev? Does anyone know who any of them were? Any photos out there?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Doggen and Kev were definitely there in the clips/photos i've seen online.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Doggen & Kev were there & I recognised the bass player too. I didn't know who the other guitarist was though...

Pics here:
https://www.facebook.com/paradiso/posts ... 9155348338
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

We were on the balcony, it was a good view up there and had room to move a bit.

I agree with you Runcible on the highlights. I do think the end of the show in particular was lackluster. I know its the start of the tour and things will improve. I guess the whole play of ANH will last the whole tour?

Despite Spiritualized not being on top form, we had a lovely few days in Amsterdam [without kids!] It is a great city.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Thanks for the photo link.

Phew - looks like the usual crew. That's James Stelfox from Starsailor on bass. You know you're in good hands with Doggen and Kevlar :)

Hopefully you're right, clewsr, and things will pick up as they get going. I suppose the price to be paid for having some stellar performances in the past is that the bar is always set so high, and it's hard to live up to those expectations. Fingers crossed for some UK club dates later in the year, and that they're not too jaded by touring by then.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I remember bass player James now - had a chat with him at the Brudenell...

Who is on 3rd guitar here?
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

runcible wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm I remember bass player James now - had a chat with him at the Brudenell...

Unfortunately that I don't know, but would be curious to find out.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Feedback Forever wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:17 am Similar setlist in Copenhagen. Without doubt the most boring Spz gig I've ever seen.
Great show in Stocholm the day after - same set, but much more intense and hypnotic. In particular On the Sunshine, The Morning After and Oh Happy Day were stellar, and Doggen’s guitar was fantastic. Great lights (no projection) and sound, too. There was no Hold on at the beginning and end; They launched straight into Come Together. Most of the ANH material sounded good as well. The band seemed to fire on all cylinders compared to the lacklustre affair the night before. I left with a huge smile on my face.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Feedback Forever wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm
Feedback Forever wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:17 am Similar setlist in Copenhagen. Without doubt the most boring Spz gig I've ever seen.
Great show in Stocholm the day after - same set, but much more intense and hypnotic. In particular On the Sunshine, The Morning After and Oh Happy Day were stellar, and Doggen’s guitar was fantastic. Great lights (no projection) and sound, too. There was no Hold on at the beginning and end; They launched straight into Come Together. Most of the ANH material sounded good as well. The band seemed to fire on all cylinders compared to the lacklustre affair the night before. I left with a huge smile on my face.
That is good news. One of the guys working at the Parradiso was telling me they tended to have problems with neighbours complaining about noise. I wonder if the volume was limited at this gig due to that? It certainly seemed quiet. No ringing in my ears the next day.
Feedback Forever
Known user

clewsr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Feedback Forever wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:33 pm
That is good news. One of the guys working at the Parradiso was telling me they tended to have problems with neighbours complaining about noise. I wonder if the volume was limited at this gig due to that? It certainly seemed quiet. No ringing in my ears the next day.
It's also fascinating how performances can change (subtly) from one day to the next and what factors facilitate that change. Is it real, or is all down to the perception and mood of the listener? To me there was a marked difference between Copenhagen and Stockholm. I was gutted after the former, but energised after the latter. To me it seemed that the band were much more into it in Stockholm than in Copenhagen even though the material was identical.

I experienced the same many years ago with Primal Scream on the 20th anniversary of Screamadelica. The first day was a let-down. The day after, however, was ecstatic and euphoric. Exactly the same setlist both days.

Anyway, it's a blessing that Spiritualized are still playing, and even they should be allowed a bad day on the job. A friend of mine told me he met a journalist from the Guardian the day after the Copenhagen gig who said he loved that show, so there you go :D
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I wasn't in Amsterdam, but i went to both Copenhagen and Stockholm gig. Well, when sitting on balcony in Vega i could not dream about any better gig by Spiritualized, i had no issues with anything. Even yapping and so much shouting from the crowd did not harm my experience. After the gig in Vega i stayed besides the venue close to their tour bus and talked to two other guys who were up into their necks into that gig. Thanks specially to one guy who wanted to wait as much as possible until Jason would come out and so i also hanged on and finally Jase come out, so we had a little talk with him. He mentioned that band was very badly surprised about barriers in front of the stage, so they could not make a straight contact with the audience. I could have not wished for a better evening and a magnificent gig. Lets see how my recording came out and if it's good, then i will post it here. I know it's my own problem for not going for even earlier gigs, so only now i witnessed new album songs done live. I had no idea what hit me, i did not have a revelation, but i have to underline now that this latest album by Spiritualized makes now much more sense to me. It's like you were kindly forced to concentrate more, kindly i repeat, and it opened up and i got much better sense of the new album. Right now i am actually not sure if official live album would be necessary, but the actual witnessing of live performance in flesh made me understand them much better. Anyway, like i told that after the gig i was standing beside their tour bus which was parked just besides the venue and talked to two other guys while waiting for Jase, dunno if any of those guys actual read the forum, so i also do not know if i have any rights to tell this, but let me still do say this somehow. One local guy told me that he talked to the keyboard player and he told him that SPZ has a new album recorded, done and finished. I still can not blame myself enough for not investigating more, but i sure as hell wasn't sober, so my bad that i let it slip. Well, let's mark this hint just in case as unconfirmed as snow in July.
Stockholm was sold out and it felt indeed packed. Luckily i stayed right behind the mixing desk, so i had a very good sound. Now i can clearly say that Stockholm gig indeed felt little bit better, but i still will not agree to call Copenhagen a disappointment. Already in the beginning of their set Shine a Light was impressive, i was thinking that even if Jase and Doggen and their drummer Jonny have played it zillion times, it still was very beautiful. Thanks for that. When gig went on, it made me think that clearly some little moments were much better than day before - so maybe Jase indeed guides them after every gig and comments on making things better or band members themselves take a quiet moment and analyze their previous performance, because not like overall big picture but some small moments were much better and gave their output much grand depth and soul. And silence between the songs in Stockholm was spooky. Utter respect to the band by audience, not a whisper between songs. It felt like being in church in total silence and waiting for priest to start to enlighten us with his wisdom. Was Out of Sight played in Amsterdam? Conclusion - very pleased about those two gigs, both little different and that makes them even better. Something to remember forever. What's even better? It can not get any better as Sonic Boom as Spectrum will soon also tour Scandinavia, so in the end of the year i can say that i saw them both more than once during one year!!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, I had an amazing long weekend in Stockholm. The Spiritualized gig was really good but, as others have mentioned, the set list was just too slow-paced for my liking. I love the new album and the live versions were even better if anything but to play it in its entirety with ballads before and after (Broken Heart, Soul On Fire, Happy Day, So Long...) just proved too much for me and the guys I were with. I know loads of peopler used to moan about the change of pace in the set when we had the likes of Oh Baby (which I am actually a massive fan of) and Rated X in there, this was like a whole set of that. Yes, I understand he obviously wants to highlight the new album and that we're 25 years down the line from those incendiary early shows but this has just moved too far away from that for me.

On the plus side, the band and the sound were excellent as were the lights (though was there meant to be projections too as we had none and it looks like they were struggling with the projector). The venue was gorgeous and it was the most silent and respectful crowd I've been a part of for years. in fact one of the guys I was with who had never seen them mentioned that it was like being at a church service.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I made a video both in Copenhagen and Stockholm of the ending of "On the Sunshine", when the outburst starts and i will try to combine those clips. Just for sake of people who gave up on their favorite walls shattering band.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

runcible wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm I remember bass player James now - had a chat with him at the Brudenell...

met him very briefly after the atlanta show and he said his name was martin. he was very kind and funny. still don’t know the keyboardist’s name.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Without any reason one thing popped up again in my memory. It was good to hear that Terry Riley's "You're No Good" still gets played at Spiritualized gigs. If i remember it correct then in Copenhagen it was played before the gig and in Stockholm right after the band left the stage. Salute.