Belfast 4 May

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

sandim
New user

Belfast 4 May

Post by sandim »

Anyone know anything about this - no mention on the official site.

https://cqaf.ticketsolve.com/shows/873604176
sunray
Known user

Re: Belfast 4 May

Post by sunray »

I'm assuming it's a regular Spiritualized gig played by the core band rather than a big production version or a 1 hour festival set.

Yep, no official mention of this or the Dublin date in June: https://www.forbiddenfruit.ie/monday :roll:

I intend doing Belfast but not Dublin as the latter has no other acts of interest for me to justify the €70 ticket.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Rubs eyes, stretches and lets out ONE GIGANTIC YAWWWWWWWWN. All of my fears for this gig were realised, an absolute snoozefest. That setlist just does not work. I think the last time I felt so bored at a Spiritualized concert was the Tripod travesty in 2008 (which at least had a decent encore). Or Body & Soul 2012. I could not wait for the gig to end.
Rather than revealing the hidden depths and treasures of And Nothing Hurt it simply ensured that I won't go near that album for a few years now such were my boredom levels.

Highlights were the strobes during She Kissed Me and On The Sunshine. Seriously intense and only equalled this century by the last 15-20 minutes of shows on the third and final leg of the A&E Tour in 2008. Retina burning stuff. Unfortuntately the music didn't connect with me at all but at least it looked nice.
Also, during the breakdown of The Morning After a section of the crowd started singing "You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else" :lol: Made me laugh anyway.

If there is an Autumn tour I seriously hope it's a regular show and not this nonsense. Play the whole album if you wish but break it up because it's far too plodding and too much hard work of a set as it currently stands.

One to add to the 'Perfunctory Spiritualized Performance' file.

One other thing: No mention of this gig across any official Spiritualized media channels :shock: :roll:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Damn.. sorry to hear that. It's true that sometimes a Spiritualized gig just doesn't happen when that spark doesn't ignite. I'm sure that setlist doesn't help, I don't find it inspiring myself either. I really like the new album so that's not a problem in itself. But it is a bit one paced, plus I imagine a lot of it might suffer without the full orchestra etc.
Plus the rest of the setlist isn't that exciting either.. Surrounding it with more slow songs?.. Not a great idea. Why not unleash TMTTOS again? They can play that in their sleep.

I've also avoided bootlegs thus far which is unusual for me. Partly because I don't want to spoil the surprise of how they will sound, but also because of that setlist.

As an aside I'd say that the later leg of the A&E tour was the band on real top form. I saw two early shows on the tour which were just *okay*.. The later one at Leamington Assembly was superb. Sometimes this band can really vary in their live form but when they are on, it's unbeatable
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

My .02 cents worth.
I have seen countless Spiritualized shows like many people who post here.
The only other time I have seen them play an album in it's entirety was the NYC Radio City LAGWAFIS show.
I loved the recent show and what made it so different was playing a new album in order. Admittedly I love the new record so that helps. If I could pick a set list would that have been it? No. It isn't up to me.
There is a lot of orchestration that goes into a show like that. Loads of band members and crucially important back up singers who most likely don't know the entire Spiritualized catalog.
The old days of blistering noise are long gone though there are noisy parts peppered throughout the set.
Hopefully those of you going to the upcoming shows take them for what they are and embrace them.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jb
Known user

Post by jb »

I was at the Belfast gig too...and loved it! Ok, so I was only able to go at the last minute and I've not seen them since the SHSL date at Manchester Academy which was years back, so I was thrilled just to be there...

Having said that the first two songs off the new album felt very leaden but things did pick up from there (at least for me).

And hello to Malcolm from Armagh... lovely guy I stood next to who was attending his first Spz gig. Hope you enjoyed it.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

angelsighs wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:53 pm As an aside I'd say that the later leg of the A&E tour was the band on real top form. I saw two early shows on the tour which were just *okay*.. The later one at Leamington Assembly was superb. Sometimes this band can really vary in their live form but when they are on, it's unbeatable
I felt exactly the same. The early Koko gig was nice, given the gap between non-Acoustic Mainlines tours, but the longer second leg where I saw a couple of O2 gigs (all roughly the same set) was a real step up.

As I recall, they only played Sweet Talk, Soul On Fire (meh) and You Lie You Cheat (with Amazing Grace intro) from A&E, but like you say for those later gigs the band were really on top form. Doggen's guitar on YLYC was a particular highlight.

The most notable absence from the current set for me is Take Your Time, which has never sounded anything other than stellar! I'm pretty sure that they played it at every electric gig I've seen from the mid '90s onwards, only exceptions being the Ladies and Gentlemen... shows and the last RAH gig.

I feel obliged to give an upcoming gig a chance, but whilst I love most of the new album - I don't think the dense and textured production (which to me is probably the most interesting, refreshing and appealing aspect) necessarily lends itself well to the live treatment.

Far be it from me to impose my sentiments on artistic choices, but it would be nice to have gigs that still crescendo to a big finish with noisey versions of Take Your Time, and then either Smiles/Things Will Never Be The Same or Take Me To The Other Side.

On the other hand, Oh Happy Day can fuck right off. Simplistic, junior school assembly quasi-hymnal nonsense!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 am There is a lot of orchestration that goes into a show like that. Loads of band members and crucially important back up singers who most likely don't know the entire Spiritualized catalog.

Hopefully those of you going to the upcoming shows take them for what they are and embrace them.
Surely that only really applies to the big production 'throw the kitchen sink at it' kind of shows though, not these ones with the core band and three backing singers.
Is that last line a dig? Feels like one.
mojo filters wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am On the other hand, Oh Happy Day can fuck right off. Simplistic, junior school assembly quasi-hymnal nonsense!
Glad to know i'm not the only one who feels this way :) I've only ever heard one good version and that was at RAH 2011 for the SHSL gig. Every other time, well, mojo sums it up perfectly.
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

wow i just arrived in time for perfect miracle and the new album in full. missed the first set.
i really enjoyed this show. it was raw and loud with lots of improvisation.

great light show ... really crazy strobes during on the sunshine / state of mind section.
T
sound audience ... quiet and no camera phones ... went drinking with some locals after while waiting for my 3 am bus back to Dublin and they all loved the show too.

as an encore so long you pretty thing still really hits the spot ... all in all a good night/road ...Trip... for me.
Last edited by evan:) on Mon May 06, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

sunray wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 am
mojo filters wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am On the other hand, Oh Happy Day can fuck right off. Simplistic, junior school assembly quasi-hymnal nonsense!
Glad to know i'm not the only one who feels this way :) I've only ever heard one good version and that was at RAH 2011 for the SHSL gig. Every other time, well, mojo sums it up perfectly.
What makes matters even worse is what a clichéd "gospel" type song it is.

It probably sounded fine at the RAH gig, but if I had such an experienced group as the London Community Gospel Choir at my disposal - I'd feel embarrassed asking them to sing such stereotyped trite shite.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Surely that only really applies to the big production 'throw the kitchen sink at it' kind of shows though, not these ones with the core band and three backing singers.
No. Not trying to have a dig. Just giving a different opinion.
I didn't mean to apply this was a big production but it is bigger than you are giving it credit for. 9 or 10 people involved on stage plus the lights is not your average indie/spacerock show.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

angelsighs wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:53 pm As an aside I'd say that the later leg of the A&E tour was the band on real top form. I saw two early shows on the tour which were just *okay*.. The later one at Leamington Assembly was superb. Sometimes this band can really vary in their live form but when they are on, it's unbeatable
This is why I think us on this side of the Atlantic are lucky. Several shows in a row where the band becomes a well oiled machine and hits a groove playing night after night. Seems like UK/Europe shows are too spread apart. Hopefully a full UK/Europe tour will happen.
Detroit was great however it wasn't loud enough. The sound guy missed the point completely.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:54 pm
No. Not trying to have a dig. Just giving a different opinion.
I didn't mean to apply this was a big production but it is bigger than you are giving it credit for. 9 or 10 people involved on stage plus the lights is not your average indie/spacerock show.
Ah, my bad. No worries :)
evan:) wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am wow i just arrived in time for perfect miracle and the new album in full. missed the first set.
i really enjoyed this show. it was raw and loud with lots of improvisation.
Which just goes to show that one man's snoozefest is another man's rock'n'roll show :lol:

We all love Spiritualized, and for me this place is at its best when a nice bit of discussion about the band occurs. It's always interesting to hear everyone's differing take on things.

Also, is 'our' Jack White still about? I thought he'd be all over this.
evan:)
Known user

Post by evan:) »

state of mind ... has a lot to do with it ... and gospel music is still very popular in Belfast. 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

spzretent wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:58 pm
This is why I think us on this side of the Atlantic are lucky. Several shows in a row where the band becomes a well oiled machine and hits a groove playing night after night. Seems like UK/Europe shows are too spread apart. Hopefully a full UK/Europe to will happen.
Detroit was great however it wasn't loud enough. The sound guy missed the point completely.
Definitely. For many bands, there's something extra when they have been touring for a little while, it all locks in and they become a well oiled machine doing a lot of it almost telepathically. Rather than just playing the right notes in the right place.

Sound quality (and volume) is also a major factor for sure. Another good example of that is Ride. If the sound is not loud enough, they sound pretty flat and limp but with ample volume it all makes sense.

I'm still looking forward to seeing the band as soon as I can, and going in with an open mind. We are all here because we love the band but that doesn't mean we have to say all their gigs are mindblowing, just because it's them.