Known user

Re: Last five albums/lp's you bought?

Post by Shinesalight » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 am

sunray wrote:
Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm
runcible wrote:
MODLAB wrote:
The Sound of Young America - The Voices
Cardif trio making Loop/Spacemenish shoegaze.

Cheers! M

Made my day!

M
You know them? Really nice. Taken me an age to find their 1st album which I've just ordered.
Ha ha! I read this all wrong and was trying to think of a Cardiff band called The Sound Of Young America :oops: Yeah, The Voices are a good band alright, i too have had difficulty tracking down that album. Where'd you get it Runcible?
I've been looking for this post.... I knew it was on here somewhere. I'm putting this album out on vinyl on Drone Rock Records. Just been sent off to the pressing plant and hoping for a mid to late May release. Trying to add pics of the vinyl (1/2 clear and 1/2 black with white splatters) but saying files are too large :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Shinesalight wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:58 am
sunray wrote:
Wed May 28, 2008 3:13 pm
runcible wrote:
MODLAB wrote:
The Sound of Young America - The Voices
Cardif trio making Loop/Spacemenish shoegaze.

Cheers! M

Made my day!

M
You know them? Really nice. Taken me an age to find their 1st album which I've just ordered.
Ha ha! I read this all wrong and was trying to think of a Cardiff band called The Sound Of Young America :oops: Yeah, The Voices are a good band alright, i too have had difficulty tracking down that album. Where'd you get it Runcible?
I've been looking for this post.... I knew it was on here somewhere. I'm putting this album out on vinyl on Drone Rock Records. Just been sent off to the pressing plant and hoping for a mid to late May release. Trying to add pics of the vinyl (1/2 clear and 1/2 black with white splatters) but saying files are too large :(
I'd love to see that - let us know when it's ready to buy.

Recent arrivals:
They Live soundtrack (Death Waltz)
Radiohead: Kid A, Amnesiac (2x10" LPs)
Link Wray: Link Wray
DJ Shadow: Endtroducing.....
No New York comp
Talk Talk: The Colour Of Spring
The Creatures: Boomerang
Pere Ubu: Terminal Tower - An Archival Collection

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am

Brian Jonestown Massacre- s/t,
Causa Sui - Euporie Tide,
Mythic Sunship - Upheaval,
Minami Deutsch and Damo Suzuki - Live at Roadburn,
The Fernweh - s/t,
The Fernweh - Sun Sigh 7" single
Burial - Pre Dawn/Indoors 12" single
Burial - Rodent 10" single
Lucid Dream - Compulsion Songs,

and bugger all, nada, zilch from RSD .

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 am

I went to a local shop the day after RSD.

Picked up Ghost World O.S.T. (ltd to 650) and Industrial Accident (ltd to 1,000).

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 am

Few holes plugged in my Slipstream collection this week...

Maybe The Day Will Come/Like No Other 7" (pink)
A.E.I.O.U (Lost For Words) 12"

Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:44 pm

The vinyl release of 'The Sound Of Young America' by The Voices is now up for pre-order via my label, Drone Rock Records. Might be of interested to a few of you on here:-

http://dronerockrecords.com/shop/sound- ... pre-order/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Shinesalight wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:44 pm
The vinyl release of 'The Sound Of Young America' by The Voices is now up for pre-order via my label, Drone Rock Records. Might be of interested to a few of you on here:-

http://dronerockrecords.com/shop/sound- ... pre-order/
Cool, thanks for the heads up!

Yesterday at a flea market record show (inside a modern barn) I picked up:

Pearls Before Swine: One Nation Underground
David Bowie: Space Oddity (Ryko clear vinyl)
Donny Hathaway: Extension Of A Man
Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway
Tom Waits: Closing Time
Wes Montgomery: Tequila
Black Pearl: Black Pearl

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 pm

It has been busy here :D :

1. Stereolab: Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements Expanded Reisssue
2. Stereolab: Mars Audiac Quintet Expanded Reisssue
3. The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds 1999 Mono reissue
4. ACR: Box
5. Bob Dylan: Real Live
6: Bob Dylan: Down in The Groove
7. Tangerine Dream: Poland
8. Wooden Shjips: Live in San Francisco June 8, 2018 (in hand made sleeve :roll: )
9. The Warlocks: Mean Machine Music
10. His Name is Alive: All The Mirrors in the House (Early Recordings 1979 - 1986)
11. Josefin Ohrn + The Liberation: Sacred Dreams
12. Mark Peters: New Routes out of Innerland
14. Mark Peters: Ambient Innerland
15: Electric Moon: Hugodelia (live) (Preorder)
16. DJINN: DJINN (Preorder)
17: Kandodo: K3 (Preorder)
18. The Comet Is Coming: Prophecy
19. Anything at all released on the Polytechnic Youth label
20. Shed loads of Jazz

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs » Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm

you certainly have been busy Olan!
olan wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 pm

8. Wooden Shjips: Live in San Francisco June 8, 2018 (in hand made sleeve :roll: )

is this the one from Silver Currant, the label run by Ethan from Comets on Fire? they do some really nice handmade stuff.

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Wed May 08, 2019 6:34 pm

angelsighs wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm
you certainly have been busy Olan!
olan wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:24 pm

is this the one from Silver Currant, the label run by Ethan from Comets on Fire? they do some really nice handmade stuff.
Yes, it is the Silver Currant one. Also, in late breaking news, VI by Papir arrived today.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Do you actually listen to this stuff Olan or is it some kind of collection compulsion disorder? :wink:

I received a box from Cardinal Fuzz today and I know it'll be a while before I get through it.
In these times of counter-revolution you're gonna encounter the counter-revolutionary man

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Wed May 08, 2019 9:06 pm

sunray wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 pm
Do you actually listen to this stuff Olan or is it some kind of collection compulsion disorder? :wink:

I received a box from Cardinal Fuzz today and I know it'll be a while before I get through it.
I've been off work since mid-February so I have plenty of chance to listen to it as I could barely move in February and March. There was a week or two where even getting up to flip a record over was not really happening. This is why downloads and streamers are a wonderful thing.

Bit better now, so hopefully will not be spending as much money :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: (yeah, right). Even managed to go to work yesterday :shock: .

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Thu May 09, 2019 11:30 am

Ah right, makes sense. Glad to hear you're back on your feet. :D
In these times of counter-revolution you're gonna encounter the counter-revolutionary man

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am

Birthday vinyl has arrived...

Trimdon Grange Explosion - S/T LP (Been after this one for a while. Beautiful folk/psych)
Guaranteed Ugly - S/T LP (Took a punt on this... trashy surfy Cramps-y punk. One of the most beautiful slabs of vinyl i've seen)
The Darkside - Mayhem To Meditate EP (An old classic. Glad to have this on vinyl again)
Demadrados Soldados De Ventura (DSDV) - Clifton Park Vol.1&2 LPs (Never heard of them before but took a punt on this pair of LPs after hearing a snippet online. Reminded me of Magic Lantern - crafted chaos!)
Spiritualized/Mercury Rev - Greenpeace Split 7" (Another gap in the Spz back catalogue filled)
Lupine Howl - The Carnivorous Lunar Activities Of... LP (Another great album. Glad i found it cheap on vinyl)
Sin Music - Cloud 9/Smoke Yourself Thin 7"(Debut 7" from this band from Southend On Sea. Produced by ex-TFC drummer Brendan O'Hare... very Mogwai-esque)
Carlton Melton/Empty Shapes - Split LP (The last CM release i was looking for. Complete set of CM vinyl now).
Spacemen 3 - Perfect Prescription LP (Genius Records, purple sleeve) (The completist in me has been after this for a while. Nice to have this alternative sleeve version.)

Should do me for a wee while...

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy » Fri May 17, 2019 12:39 pm

Laz69 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am

Sin Music - Cloud 9/Smoke Yourself Thin 7"(Debut 7" from this band from Southend On Sea. Produced by ex-TFC drummer Brendan O'Hare... very Mogwai-esque)
Nice to see! I'm friends with them and Brendan down in Southend On Sea and the local boozer, The Railway Hotel, that a lot of bands spring up from. This 7" was an RSD exclusive at our local store South Records so it's nice to see it getting some wider love. Check out Dark Globes as well if you haven't already. Brendan plays drums in them and Tom from Sin Music sings/plays guitar. Lot's of band cross pollination down by our seaside.

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 pm

johnnyboy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:39 pm
Laz69 wrote:

Nice to see! I'm friends with them and Brendan down in Southend On Sea and the local boozer, The Railway Hotel, that a lot of bands spring up from. This 7" was an RSD exclusive at our local store South Records so it's nice to see it getting some wider love. Check out Dark Globes as well if you haven't already. Brendan plays drums in them and Tom from Sin Music sings/plays guitar. Lot's of band cross pollination down by our seaside.
Small world!

My brother and I have known Brendan for many years but i met Tom (lovely fella) when he came up to Glasgow for the TFC shows end of last year. Tom sent my brother the audio from the 7" as a taster and he let me hear it. Was bloody brilliant. My brother had Tom send up one of the 7" for my birthday as a surprise! :D Pass on my regards and love for this next time you see them!

johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy » Mon May 20, 2019 9:26 am

Laz69 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 pm
johnnyboy wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:39 pm
Laz69 wrote:

Small world!

My brother and I have known Brendan for many years but i met Tom (lovely fella) when he came up to Glasgow for the TFC shows end of last year. Tom sent my brother the audio from the 7" as a taster and he let me hear it. Was bloody brilliant. My brother had Tom send up one of the 7" for my birthday as a surprise! :D Pass on my regards and love for this next time you see them!
Haha, that's brilliant, small world indeed! Yeah Tom is pretty cool, very much a Teenage Fanboy. The Railway Hotel is such a great place for bands and likeminded folk. I'll mention you when I next bump into him down there.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 am

Well..... it's way more than five.
One of my local record shops just bought a sizable collection of original UK LP's from the 70's. Most are A1 B1's.
In the last two days I have purchased:
Steely Dan- Can't Buy A Thrill
" - Pretzel Logic
" - The Royal Scam
" - Aja
Joe Walsh- So What
" - Barnstorm
Supertramp- Crime Of The Century
" - Crisis What Crisis?
Frampton Comes Alive
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Nuthin' Fancy
" - Gimme Back My Bullets
Doobie Brothers- The Captain & Me
Barclay James Harvest- Baby James Harvest
V/A Heads Together/First Round a Vertigo Swirl comp
Todd Rundgren/Utopia- S/T
Not purchased but gifted to me by Mick MacNeil the original keyboard player from Simple Minds was a tub of roughly 100 tapes of lives shows and studio outtakes, a huge lot of vinyl and a gold record for New Gold Dream. This would not have happened without the incredible help of James/Laz69 who graciously drove quite a way to pick these up, pack them up and facilate the shipping to the US. I am forever in your debt James.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:54 am

spzretent wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 am
Not purchased but gifted to me by Mick MacNeil the original keyboard player from Simple Minds was a tub of roughly 100 tapes of lives shows and studio outtakes, a huge lot of vinyl and a gold record for New Gold Dream. This would not have happened without the incredible help of James/Laz69 who graciously drove quite a way to pick these up, pack them up and facilitate the shipping to the US. I am forever in your debt James.
Glad to have helped :)

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:53 pm

spzretent wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:36 am
Not purchased but gifted to me by Mick MacNeil the original keyboard player from Simple Minds was a tub of roughly 100 tapes of lives shows and studio outtakes, a huge lot of vinyl and a gold record for New Gold Dream. This would not have happened without the incredible help of James/Laz69 who graciously drove quite a way to pick these up, pack them up and facilate the shipping to the US. I am forever in your debt James.
That tub sounds AMAZING!

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 am

I'll let you know once Parcel Force get their shit together and actually pick up this haul in Glasgow and deliver it here. This is not proving so easy.

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 am

Well......all 3 parcels arrived this afternoon.
Tapes? Thought I was getting approx. 100. Nuh uh. More like 250 tapes. Early demos, rehearsals and unreleased version and songs. Quite a treasure trove.
The load of vinyl was also incredible. The numbered Australian Sister Feelings call which I have never even seen was a part of this haul. Loads of rare 12"s and LPs. Even a signed Empires & Dance Zoom UK LP.
The glass on the gold record didn't fare too well. I was going to replace the glass anyway.
A big kiss to James/Laz69 for even making this possible.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Wow, what a great gift you got there. Have you thought about what you’re gonna do with the tapes? Digitize ‘m and share them perhaps? #askingforafriend :D
But really, just curious.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 pm

I have exchanged a few emails with Jim Kerr and he was worried that may happen. I told him I would never do that. In the end he said he is fine with my having them.
What era is your "friend" after? There seems to be loads of Once Upon A Time and Street Fighting Years era stuff so far. I did come across an instrumental rehearsal version of Sparkle In The Rain which is cool. Loads of interesting instrumentals too. I have only scratched the surface. Like maybe 10%.
It's kind of weird in that if I try and listen to too much I may wind up getting really sick of Simple Minds which I don't want to happen. Having said that I am really a fan of the first 6 records. After that it is pretty hit or miss for me. Mick MacNeil left in 1992 I think. So nothing past that. I am being carefuI guess.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:13 am

It's the albums up to and including Sparke in the Rain for me. I do like Once upon a time, because I played it to death when I was a kid (not to mention live in the city of light)
But there is one particular thing I am curious about. I used have a Rock Palast broadcast of a pre-NGD gig that had an epic version of Room. I was pretty dissapointed when I got Empires And Dances and Room turned out to be bout minute and a half and lacking the epic chorus of the live version I knew. Would be fun to hear what the history of that song was. Did start out as the live version and did they cut it down for the album, or did it develop into how they played it live. So there's that. And I'd kill for a decent recording of that live arrangement. The one I mentioned above is on youtube but sound quality and performance are not the best (Jim's pretty off key there).

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:42 pm

You and I must have exactly the same taste. Room is one of my favorite Simple Minds songs especially off of the first 3 records. That and Pleasantly Disturbed from Life In A Day. That one is an epic long track. Both done live on the 5 X 5 tour.
I will look. I may well have that Rockpalast show as many of the "official" live recordings through radio etc. are here. If I find it it's yours. It may take quite a while especially if it is not labeled.

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Oh man, that would be great! Cheers!
Will give Life ain a Day a spin tonight, haven’t heard it in ages.

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Any doubles in that Simple Minds tote, I love the early stuff best also.

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 pm

The Flaming Lips: Death Trippin' At Sunrise: Rarities B-sides & Flexi Discs 1986-1990
Mudhoney: Tomorrow Hit Today [MOV]
The Ethiopians: Woman Capture Man [MOV]
Moby: Everything Was Beautiful & Nothing Hurt
Bob Dylan: Love And Theft
Various Artists: The Wall [Redux]
Redd Kross: Third Eye [MOV]

all at Deep Discount sale (which I think is still ongoing)

nghst
Known user

Post by nghst » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:58 am

Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
Kurt Vile - Bottle it In
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishin for Fishies, Infest the Rat Nest
Ten Fe - Future Perfect Present Tense, Hit the Light
Follakzoid - I

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild,
Sleep - The Sciences,
Hey Colossus - Four Bibles,
Hey Colossus - The Guillotine,
Rose City Band - "Self Titled ",
Vanishing Twin - The Age Of Immunology,
Minami Deutsch - Cant Get There ep ( pic disc)
White Hills - Live At Roadburn,
Centrum - For Meditation,

olan
Known user

Post by olan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am

Grateful Dead: Cambodian Refugee Benefit, Oakland Coliseum Broadcast, 13th January 1980 2xLP
Grateful Dead: Visions of the Future, Spectrum Broadcast, 18th March 1995 Vol 1. 2xLP
Grateful Dead: Visions of the Future, Spectrum Broadcast, 18th March 1995 Vol 2. 2xLP
Grateful Dead: Laughter, Love and Music, The Bill Graham Memorial, 1991
Dub Syndicate: Tunes from the Missing Channel
Mick Harvey: Sketches from the Book of the Dead
Sons of Kemet: Burn
Ill Considered: Ill Considered 8
Spacemen 3: .kaleidoscope skies. Box Set (details here: https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-kale ... e/13935834 ) Pretty mad 2xLP set of a show played in Nuremburg on 9 May 1989 (which I had not got a recording of). This is #18 of a limited run of 23 :shock: ....

mc
Known user

Post by mc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:51 pm

olan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am
Spacemen 3: .kaleidoscope skies. Box Set (details here: https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-kale ... e/13935834 ) Pretty mad 2xLP set of a show played in Nuremburg on 9 May 1989 (which I had not got a recording of). This is #18 of a limited run of 23 :shock: ....
Effing hell, that is a serious work of art. Very very jealous :D

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:57 pm

olan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:35 am
:shock: :shock: :shock: Where in the hell did you come across this Olan? Nowt to be found on Discogs obviously.

I want one goddamnit! :lol:

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 am

I was contacted by the seller asking for €130 for a copy... Fair play for all the effort, but nah...