What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ro
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by ro »

I’m not listening to much these days, but here’s a very beautiful thing:

No Man is an Island / The Van Dykes

https://youtu.be/Lv_FzB2ulQs
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Max Richter - Sleep.

Started playing it at 10pm last night, and the alarm kicked in at 6:15am just before it had finished, bah! Lovely to drift in and out of sleep to though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

there's a new band on Rocket Recordings call Djinn. apparently bit of a jazz thing going on, sounds interesting.

quite amusing how it describes the band being "comprised of members of Swedish bands Hills and GOAT" :wink:

https://thequietus.com/articles/26438-d ... uice-watch
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Daddy Long Legs latest LP along with the rest of their back catalogue after their stellar show last week.
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

Bayonne - drastic measures
Cass McCombs - tip of the sphere
Flamingods - levitation
Helado Negro - this is how you smile
Leafcutter John - yes! come parade with us
Michael Chapman - true north
Ishmael Ensemble - a state of flow
and Bob Stanley & Pete Wiggs present state of the union
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Iggy Pop - The Idiot,
The Fat White Family - Serf`s Up,
The Bee`s - Free The Bee`s,
Kendrick Lamar - Damn,
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurts,
Wand - Laughing Matter,
Centrum - For Meditation,
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

The God Machine } "Scenes From The Second Storey " and " One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying " .
Great band, whose life was cut short after the very sad death , from a brain hemorrhage, of their bass guitarist Jimmy Fernandez at the age of 29. At the top of my list of early 90s live gigs.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 pm The new Wand album Laughing Matter, the super heavy/garage psyche of yore is almost gone - not entirely mind - and they`re in a different kinda of psyche boat, its still pretty out there though, double album well over an hour an so much inventive shit going on, going to enjoy this album for a while I feel.
Why aren't this band bigger? :?

The past few releases have been preceded by reviews that state it's a change of direction for Wand and i've approached each one with trepidation. Then I listen and realise there's nothing to worry about, it's still obviously Wand, just a little different. I'd like to think this album will gain them a wider audience but I doubt it.

Fave tune: Lucky's Sight :D :shock: :twisted: 8) Reminds me of a very noisy version of The Aliens at their most bonkers.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The new Hey Colossus - Four Bibles, another one that falls into the " why aren`t this band bigger? " category, loud guitars, loud drums, almost Killing Joke-ish in places, looking forward to seeing them in July, just started reading the bass players contribution to the Sleevenotes book series, 15 yrs in an underground rock band very good so far, Mark Lanegan and Bob Stanley other contributers to the series so far,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I seem to be falling back on the old faithfuls recently. oodles of Six Organs of Admittance and Dungen for starters

open to suggestions of any new stuff this year that I should be checking out.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

More a 'what are you watching now'.

There's a great Kundalini Genie live set on YouTube at the moment. Great for those who are into these hazed-out Scottish dudes. Although that's probably just myself and Laz69. Recommended for everyone though.

Wish they'd come to Leeds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yafj-kdK00
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

A&E Dept - The Rabbit's Name Was...

I have been listening to this tune for nearly 25 years and it was only last night that I discovered the opening sample actually comes from Mission Control in the run up to the first moon landing :D
However, i have always been aware that the closing sample is from Pulp Fiction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLSDgvrPbs
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

*Avery Tare - cows on hourglass pond
*Bayonne - drastic measures (catchy animal collective style folky electronica/ pop)
*Benoit Pioulard - persona (fuzzy ambient drone)
*Blankenberge - more (outstanding shoegazey type noise from Russia)
*Dommengang -no keys (exciting guitar dirge)
*Frenship - vacation (catchy indie pop)
*Mark Peters - innerland (instrumental guitar stuff)
*Sacred Paws/ Trash Kit (2 bands fronted by Rachel Aggs, uplifting punky pop with afrobeat/ African (for want of a better description) rhythms and melodies.)
*Reed Turchis & HIs Kudzu Choir - midnight in Memphis (groovey , bluesy stuff, gospely. Great!)
*Simon Scott - Soundings (drummer from Slowdive's ambient project)
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

New Purple Moutains record (So good to have him back)
Thom Yorke - Anima
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt (listen every day)
Spring Heel Jack - Live
Six Organs of Admittance - Hexadic I / II / III
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:19 pm More a 'what are you watching now'.

There's a great Kundalini Genie live set on YouTube at the moment. Great for those who are into these hazed-out Scottish dudes. Although that's probably just myself and Laz69. Recommended for everyone though.

Wish they'd come to Leeds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yafj-kdK00
Hmmm. I have known this band since forever and know the singer Robbie too but, as much as he's a talented musician, they just don't do it for me. I find them really derivative and "safe" and it just doesn't do anything for me. Its like "psych-lite" to me or "psych-by-numbers".

I've seen them live a dozen or so times, supporting some really phenomenal bands (he's managed to blag support slots for a lot of decent bands passing through Glasgow in recent years) but i've never witnessed an "explosive live show" once (as i've seen them promoted online). I've seen a lot of OK shows by them, but never once have they blown me away. I also think they'd get on a lot better if they cut the daft jokes from their live set and focused on playing their own material instead of touchstone cover versions, which are not that great either - if you're gonna do a cover version, you need to own it in your own way or knock it out the park. They've done neither when i've saw them.

He's a good guitarist and songwriter, a wonderful sitar player and has a lot of great influences, but i feel he has still to find his unique place in the musical world. I'd be far more interested in hearing some solo stuff or an album of sitar-based music as i think he'd be wonderful at that.

KG are clearly getting some recognition and i wish him/them all the best, but i seem to be the only one who just doesn't understand the hype :?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Have been TOLD ( :lol: :lol: ) to enjoy Grandaddy by a friend who says they are her most favourite band ever. She even bought me an album of theirs at the weekend to listen to, so i'm checking them out.

Also listening to a lot of The Boo Radleys, mostly a collection of their wonderful b-sides, but also the Learning To Walk LP. Never fails to impress me.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I found a few Grandaddy cds at a charity shop a few weeks ago. Sophtware Slump and Sumday.
I put them on and just got nothing out of them. They are in a box to sell.
I just figure if I want to hear something like that why not just put on a Mercury Rev record?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Think I agree with James about the Kundaline Genie, saw them a few times supporting bands travelling through Glasgow and never been particularly impressed, and yeah he seems like a really nice guy and all, but derivative and safe about covers it for me as well, having said that I do know people who really dig them as well, so... different strokes I guess,

Not a major Grandaddy head either, only know the Sophware Slump and did like it at the time but not heard it in an age, Deserters Songs, The Soft Bulletin and Sophware Slump felt like a kinda trilogy of albums at the time to me, with Sophware Slump definitely being the runt of the litter

Recently been listening to Wand- Laughing Matter
Laughing Eye - s/t
Vanishing Twin - Age Of Immunology
Sleep - The Sciences
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Due to a week of ecstatic highs, crushing lows and ecstatic highs again I've been searching for my mainline - and found the VU's White Light/White Heat the most go to record of recent times.

It's such a brutal recording - no mixing involved really - that this came out in 1968 is incredible really, given the sound of other recordings from that era.

I can't get enough - 'Sister Ray' is like the ultimate thing just now.

Blown away by the Gymnasium version (1967) - somehow I have had this for a few years now, but I never really listened. It's a rough recording in some ways - but also absolutely mindblowing in certain conditions.

After 10 minutes of proper garage rock with Lou's voice distorting the whole thing it gets louder. By 12 minutes it sounds like a sitar loop is going through it all. After 15 minutes it sounds just a bit like an early Spiritualized bootleg. Only better...

Incredible listening whilst driving fast.

Unfortunately I can't link the remastered recording overseen by Lou Reed and John Cale - but it's the 2nd disc of White Light/White Heat remaster from 2013. If you've not heard it - get to it. Or PM me.

And the take from the 2nd disc of The Quine Tapes - 40 minutes? Not enough really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPCI2H1sV4
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 pm I found a few Grandaddy CDs at a charity shop a few weeks ago. Sophtware Slump and Sumday.
I put them on and just got nothing out of them. They are in a box to sell.
I just figure if I want to hear something like that why not just put on a Mercury Rev record?
Strangely, i've been listening to a few albums (including those you mention) and my head kept saying "this sounds like something else" and i was struggling to specifically name it. Mercury Rev were one similarity. As was "Soft Bulletin" era Flaming Lips. Hopewell were another but also The Tyde (maybe a little more upbeat) and maybe a little bit of Teenage Fanclub in there too.

Its not bad. Not quite as life affirming as my friend made out. A few songs caught my attention but, as you say, if i wanted something along those lines, there are plenty other better bands that could easily replace them.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:38 am Hmmm. I have known this band since forever and know the singer Robbie too but, as much as he's a talented musician, they just don't do it for me. I find them really derivative and "safe" and it just doesn't do anything for me. Its like "psych-lite" to me or "psych-by-numbers".

KG are clearly getting some recognition and i wish him/them all the best, but i seem to be the only one who just doesn't understand the hype :?
Ah well. I only have the 2 albums I own to go by (both of which sound pretty good) and obviously haven’t seen them live – maybe my opinion would change if I did! Sometimes bands that seem to be getting things right for others don’t quite do it when you finally hear them. That same Scottish scene includes Helicon, another band I’ve never seen but I just can’t grasp what it is that people like so much. I bought an album and just don’t get it. If they played down here I’m sure I’d go though after reading so much good stuff…
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Don't get me wrong Mark. Robbie is a talented guy. I just think they are "okay". The albums are alright but nothing to set the house on fire. Helicon live show pisses all over KGs tho, even just from a performance perspective.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Regressing back to my teenage years I'm on Punk trip at the moment - 3 new-ish band who have all released albums this year:

Bad Breeding - Exiled: Got a real old school anarcho-punk feel, like a cross between Flux of Pink Indians and Icons of Filth, with maybe a bit of Discharge thrown in.Great noisey stuff!

https://badbreeding.bandcamp.com/album/exiled

Pizza Tramp- Grand Relapse: nice and fast hardcore punk from Wales. 15 tracks and 25 mins in length. get in the mosh pit!

https://pizzatramp.bandcamp.com/album/grand-relapse

Blatoidea - Quarantee: Uk82 feel about these guys. Got a right good heavy rocking feel about them.

https://blatoidea.bandcamp.com/

New Subhumans album out next month too, and maybe the logn awaited Conflict record will appear this year. oi oi!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

stegraham wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:56 pm New Subhumans album out next month too
That's interesting! Is this the first new Dick Lucas-related music since the last Citizen Fish album, or was there another new Subhumans record (Internal Riot or something like that) released relatively recently?

Dunno what to make of blokes in their 50s and 60s writing and recording new angry punk music? I would probably have preferred something new from Culture Shock, or even Citizen Fish.

It's never been easy to keep up with those folks. I seem to have fallen off their email list. Also someone told me the Bluurg records website was no longer kept up to date, but it seems reasonably current from a quick look.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Stumbled across this Grateful Dead- Sunshine Daydream box set used and decided to pick it up. $12 for 3 full CDs and a DVD seemed like a good deal.
When I got home I did a little research. Seems this is one of the most sought after shows in GD tape trading history.
All cleaned up now for a novice like me. I am partial to this time period, 1972. I "get it" now. Or maybe I understand what all the fuss is with Dead Heads.....sort of. This is a great show. Veneta Oregon 8/27/72.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

It's the first Suhumans album since 2007's Internal Riot. However, Dick has kept busy with a Citzen Fish album (2011's Goods) and two EPs, plus a Culture Shock album (2016's Attention Span) and an EP released last year. All three bands seem to be constantly on tour - not sure how he remembers all the words!

The new Subhumans album, Crisis Point, is the first Subhumans record not to be released on Bluurgh records. Not sure why not. Both the last Citizen Fish and Culture Shock albums were on Alternative Tentacles. This latest record is on Pirate Press - new to me - an american independant label.

I don't think singing protest songs should be restricted to the young 'uns though! :D I think , depressing though it is, the issues bands like the Subhumans were singing about in the 80s are still relevant today - maybe even more so at the moment with fruitcakes such as Trump and Johnson in power.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

stegraham wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm It's the first Suhumans album since 2007's Internal Riot. However, Dick has kept busy with a Citzen Fish album (2011's Goods) and two EPs, plus a Culture Shock album (2016's Attention Span) and an EP released last year. All three bands seem to be constantly on tour - not sure how he remembers all the words!

The new Subhumans album, Crisis Point, is the first Subhumans record not to be released on Bluurgh records. Not sure why not. Both the last Citizen Fish and Culture Shock albums were on Alternative Tentacles. This latest record is on Pirate Press - new to me - an american independant label.

I don't think singing protest songs should be restricted to the young 'uns though! :D I think , depressing though it is, the issues bands like the Subhumans were singing about in the 80s are still relevant today - maybe even more so at the moment with fruitcakes such as Trump and Johnson in power.
Shit! I managed to miss a lot...will have to track down that new Culture Shock record, they were always my favourite iteration of the Lucas musical cannon.

Still can't work out the correct current website for them. The old Citizen Fish one that Dick used for everything seems to be the most up to date I can find, but I didn't see all the stuff you referenced on there.

I hope I can still get the newer CDs with all the old Culture Shock material on them. Last time I'd found my Culture Shock material was missing, the best Dick could do was copy his own records to CD - which sounded really rough, but he also did me a favour copying some other old Bluurg and associated stuff I was after that was only ever put out on cassette tape, way back in the day.

I vaguely recall hearing that Bluurg kinda stopped at some point, or at least stopped putting out new material. I think it was around the time he moved from that address in Melksham that was always printed on every record, though that was a while ago now.

Apologies if I'm just being crap at Googling, but if you know the current website I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for filling me in on all the Subhumans / Culture Shock / Citizen Fish news.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Getting played a lot here is Vanishing Twin - Age Of Immunology, in a very much Broadcast/ Stereolab kinda vein, my fav me bought recent material, anybody heard the recent Orville Peck album on SubPop? Interested on any thoughts on that, caught me right off guard.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

mojo filters wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:21 pm I vaguely recall hearing that Bluurg kinda stopped at some point, or at least stopped putting out new material. I think it was around the time he moved from that address in Melksham that was always printed on every record, though that was a while ago now.

Apologies if I'm just being crap at Googling, but if you know the current website I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for filling me in on all the Subhumans / Culture Shock / Citizen Fish news.
I'm not sure what the best site is to use. I follow the bands on FB, so get my news from there. You're right - their website at: http://www.citizenfish.com/, seems only to go up to the Culture Shock release in 2016, and no mention of the EP last year or the up and coming Subhumans album. However, the "Upcoming gigs" links does contain release info as well as gig dates, so it does look like some parts of the site are still be updated. So that does seem like the best place ... or facebook!
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

the Crushed Beaks album sounds pretty fine.

http://exystence.net/blog/2019/08/10/cr ... room-2019/

With all things rock ‘n’ roll, it all begins, and it all ends at the crossroads. And this album is smack dab at the juncture of dense psych melodies, intricate 70’s hard rock, post-punk (The Cure, The Lucy Show, or The Chameleons UK), and the big windmill sonic wall of the current post-rock Mogwai moment.
Now, give this one time because its thick pulsing sound demands patience to reveal its charms. “Sky Burial” begins with a great melodic guitar figure. And then it catches fire with thrashy rock and an intense vocal by guitarist Matthew Polie. But that melodic guitar creeps through the tune, while Alex Morris’ bass pumps a deep pulse, and Scott Bowley is a powerhouse engine room. This is tight and tough stuff that spins with so many colors of sound. This is heavy stuff. “Strange Things” is even tougher, with hard chords that yield to that pulsing bass, which in turn frames even more harsh guitar chords. But the vocals soar with a nice melody. There’s a wonderful guitar break before the deep thrashy stuff returns to end the song. “Right Machine” simply grooves. Again, the vocals carry a nice tune while the band plays dense, and quite frankly, beautiful rock ‘n’ roll noise. “Silver Tongue” has an intricate guitar bit and rocks hard with a psych vibe. But, truly, the band has a wonderful sense of juxtaposition between hard and soft textures. “Ad Nauseam” is quick- step pop music that gets warped into deep dimensions.
Oh my, “Honesty Box” just rocks and dances at the crossroads of power trio history. The tune is a live wire of tough nut rock ‘n’ roll music. These guys bleed electricity with guitar riffs, bass, and drums. Way back when, Buddy Holly and the Crickets did the very same thing.
Oh my (again), “Bonfire Night” is another song that simply, somehow, manages to contain its own combustion. But just barely. Adrian Borland’s The Sound played this sort of music. And this music accelerates the pulse into a bigger sonic orbit.
As said, give this one time because its heavy grooves and clever melodies will rise to the surface with repeated patient listening. “On a Limb” is yet another epic that manages beauty, destruction, and drama in its brief rock lifespan.
Nice: “Thinking Backward” is almost acoustic in its delivery. The album catches its breath.
But “Jupiter” rocks hard, and is strident in its groove. It reminds me of all the great 70’s hard rock bands like (my beloved) Stray who played tough guitar rock but were always willing to offer up the divine melody so as to appease the gods of serrated harmony.
“Red Shift” hangs onto punky roots. This is stern stuff with a really nice change of pace as the bass takes charge (just for a moment), only to have the rough-hewn guitar return.
“Elsewhere” floats for a bit, but a big sonic guitar fires the tune. Ah, once again, the repeated plays reveal a great and fairly complex melody. All cylinders are on fire, until the end where the tune floats, again, into final grooves and stamps a soft exclamation point to the end of a very vital and very modern rock record.
This record punches with tough gloves, but it always retreats to the neutral corner when the big blast of sonic muscle is delivered. I’ll say it again (because the third time is the charm) this album demands many plays. Its density belies so many wonderful melodies and varied textures. “Silver Tongue” even conjures The Beatles. Yeah, this record spins at the crossroads, a rock ‘n’ roll vortex that swirls with the sounds of so many great rock bands, into which Crushed Beaks blend their own tough chords, urgent vocals, rock trio power, nice noise, and really great melodies—all within a blink of a needle’s eye.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

More a case of 'What I am not listening to now' :roll:

Specifically, Sunray/Sonic Boom: Music For The Dreamachine - Phase II. Bought it upon release about two months ago. Unfortunately i'm without a turntable at the moment and this recording hasn't even popped up on youtube, which means i'm quite desperate to hear it at this stage.

So if any kind soul could help me out with a digital file or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. Thanks. :)
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Enjoying the new Isobel Campbell song:

https://www.isobelcampbell.com/?fbclid= ... YwRckM#vid

New album next year and short tour. It looks like she's playing the same venue twice in the same evening in London. A 7pm start and a 9pm start? Strange!

Ste
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

I think it’s fair to say this falls loosely under “influences”

https://youtu.be/khOfSVULtsU
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ro wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:56 pm I think it’s fair to say this falls loosely under “influences”

https://youtu.be/khOfSVULtsU
:lol: Brilliant. Made me laugh anyway :D
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

it is quite wonderful, isn’t it :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

My wife and I walked down the aisle to this... hahaha

Just wait until i send her this! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Current earworms...

Neal Casal - Fade Away Diamond Time
Neal Casal - (live show from France 2003)
The Cosmic Dead - Scottish Space Race (a fucking MONSTER of a record!)
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Live, Barrowlands, Glasgow, 8th-Dec-2010
Sam Gopal - Escalator
The Tyde - (all 3 albums)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Laz69 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 am My wife and I walked down the aisle to this... hahaha

If you ever decide to renew your vows, maybe you can ask him to come play the chicken for you!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

ro wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 pm
Laz69 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 am My wife and I walked down the aisle to this... hahaha

If you ever decide to renew your vows, maybe you can ask him to come play the chicken for you!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm afraid that suggestion didn't wash with her last night...
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Well, at least you tried ...

:wink:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mogwai - Trees, Dallas, 17/6/2001: https://archive.org/details/mogwai2001- ... 17t01.flac

Excellent soundboard recording with stunning versions of two of my favourite Mogwai tunes; a SPACEd-out Like Herod ( :wink: ) and an utterly vicious 28 minute My Father My King ( :shock: 8) ).
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Enjoying the new Cheval Sombre single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMZ_dy1h3KY

I like it better than Had Enough Blues.

Only 300 copies of the 7" made - I think. Hopefully have one on order from Rough Trade. Surely this means he'll have new album out soon...

Ste
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Carlton Melton: Live at Point Arena bought on FB in an auction in aid of Macmillan Cancer Trust and filling an irritating gap in my CM collection. Lovely meaty sounding live set.

Mark Lanegan Band: Somebody's Knocking. Bought on Saturday so I've only listened to it twice. Not sure about this at all. I think there is a decent single LP in there, but there is a sense of too much filler. Oddly most of the weaker tracks are on the A and D sides. Sides B and C are very good.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Worst Mark Lanegan record ever I think. I read amazing reviews of this LP online somewhere.
At points it does sound a bit like Sisters Of Mercy. That isn't a compliment either.
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

absolutely loving the TWEN debut lp 'Awestruck'

single :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHdsBcRXZ6k
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

freddiehubbard wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:35 pm absolutely loving the TWEN debut lp 'Awestruck'

single :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHdsBcRXZ6k
Cheers! Great single. Album next.
freddiehubbard
Known user

Post by freddiehubbard »

Feedback Forever wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm
Cheers! Great single. Album next.
... all killer, no filler! :-)
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Vacant Lots - Exit EP, produced by Anton and he plays on it too. Excellent stuff IMHO :D
'Remember, change is not good'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

BVCP206 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:27 pm Vacant Lots - Exit EP, produced by Anton and he plays on it too. Excellent stuff IMHO :D
Total agreement, Bells is one of my fav tracks this yr, its a great ep.
have to say i`m enjoying the new Mark Lanegan, getting some big Psychedelic Furs vibes on a few tracks, mulling over going to see him in Dec,
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

For Emily, wherever I may find her
https://youtu.be/WaWrdwP1YH0
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Great to see that Elephant Stone are makign a comeback - next album out new year in Feb:

https://www.clashmusic.com/videos/eleph ... -real-trip

The new track on that page sounds like a Bobby Dazzler!

Ste
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Incredible - much thanks to Simon K for this.

It’s like Leonard Cohen singing with the Spiritualized live band.

Swans - It's real, it's coming
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Couple of almost polar opposites...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TIVAMehnxM

and also...

https://youtu.be/KXHSW1R0rZU
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

The Purple Mountains Lp
Moon Duo new one
Go-Kart Mozart - Lawrence is a genius
Once upon a time in Hollywood - soundtrack
Little Richard Live
Yak - new ep
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Underworld - Drift Series One : Sampler Edition. Sampler edition or not at 60 min this is double album length and after 30yrs I would say it contains material up there with the best they`ve ever done, first 4 tracks come in at just under 25 min and never let up, quite brilliant . Not sure about the full Series one at 7 discs, dvd - christ I don`t even own a cd or dvd player now - and almost 6 hrs of material though even at a very reasonable £60.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Bonnie Prince Billy - I Made A Place vinyl which is a lovely product and a great record however this doesn't come with a download code if you buy from Domino in UK but if you buy via Bandcamp it does which seems a little strange :!: Anybody shed any light on this :?:
'Remember, change is not good'
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

What a lovely little track this is. It is like the sun rising on a day you’ve been looking forward to for a long, long time.

Sore Eros/ Backseat Bop

http://www.ravensingstheblues.com/sore- ... kseat-bop/
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

relatively new purchase is the new boxset of Y by The Pop Group. bit disappointing to be honest, the remaster of the original album sounds good, but the extras could have easily fitted on one CD and no real revelations there.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Snapped Ankles - Come Play The Trees: A hard drive find. Post-punk/dance-punk/synth/kraut vibe going on. Nice grooves that will suit dancers and head-nodders equally. This led me to the the follow up album 'Stunning Luxury' released this year, another winner. Almost LCD Soundsystem meets Add N To X at times.
The Cosmic Dead - Scottish Space Race: Love it. Heavy Psych, no wankery, just straight down to business. Four songs in a little under 80 minutes and it just flys by. Not sure i'll ever get used to Billy Connolly on vocals though!
SPR! - Mental Health: Another from the vaults! Most definitely a Suicide/Spacemen 3 influence here.
Warm Drag - S/T: More Suicide goings on, this time coupled with The Kills type vibes (plus a little bit of Mazzy Star). Which is apt for another two-piece. Pretty good I must say.
USA/MEXICO - Matamoros: Featuring members of Shit & Shine and The Butthole Surfers. It's filthy and it's great. For those of you (like myself) who think that Pigsx7 and Hey Colossus should be dirtier. A shit encrusted butthole if you will (i'm expecting a call from their, no doubt extensive, marketing arm any day now).
Zone Six - Kozmik Koon: Another solid effort from the prolific Mr. Schmidt. Extended instrumental psych jams with trippy interludes. Excellent production once again too. He certainly knows his way around a mixing desk.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:51 pm Zone Six - Kozmik Koon: Another solid effort from the prolific Mr. Schmidt. Extended instrumental psych jams with trippy interludes. Excellent production once again too. He certainly knows his way around a mixing desk.
That Zone Six LP is really, really excellent. What with the DDT LP the last couple of months have been great. Meanwhile Dave Schmidt just sent me his latest offering (CDs for now, LPs to follow):

6 CDs of top quality atmospheric Psyche that at times moves into areas more usually associated with Durutti Column (which is feckin' high praise from me). Very highly recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Heads - Reverberation Volume 1: 8) :D :shock: A rehearsal from 16 Feb. 2005, it pummels in a delightfully vicious manner. Be warned though, it is a lo-fi recording (one mic set up in middle of the room). I'm pretty sure Runcible sat in on one of their rehearsals, if so, I suspect this is the one. Perhaps Mark will come on here and clarify. It must've been something else to witness that sonic onslaught in such a small space.

There is also a bonus rehearsal included from four days earlier that hits the spot too. Highlights across both sessions for me are K.R.T, Creating In The Eternal Now Is Always Heavy and the un-named jams 8)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm The Heads - Reverberation Volume 1
Is this one that Dave/Cardinal Fuzz is releasing?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm I'm pretty sure Runcible sat in on one of their rehearsals, if so, I suspect this is the one. Perhaps Mark will come on here and clarify. It must've been something else to witness that sonic onslaught in such a small space.
Indeed I was, and it was extremely intense in that tiny room. I went to a couple more of their rehearsals after too, with similar effect. Kind of lost contact these days...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Shinesalight wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:55 pm
sunray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm The Heads - Reverberation Volume 1
Is this one that Dave/Cardinal Fuzz is releasing?
It is. I had an outstanding order with Dave so he popped The Heads lp in with the rest of my package :D
runcible wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:10 pm
sunray wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:41 pm I'm pretty sure Runcible sat in on one of their rehearsals, if so, I suspect this is the one. Perhaps Mark will come on here and clarify. It must've been something else to witness that sonic onslaught in such a small space.
Indeed I was, and it was extremely intense in that tiny room. I went to a couple more of their rehearsals after too, with similar effect. Kind of lost contact these days...
Nice one Mark, glad to have that cleared up! Quite a coup to have witnessed those sets.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

sunray wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 pm A&E Dept - The Rabbit's Name Was...

I have been listening to this tune for nearly 25 years and it was only last night that I discovered the opening sample actually comes from Mission Control in the run up to the first moon landing :D
However, i have always been aware that the closing sample is from Pulp Fiction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLLSDgvrPbs
Absolute belter of a tune. One of my all time favourite acid techno tracks. Iggy Pop sample from Metallic KO on one of the remixes as well.