Unexpected music appearing on TV

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

runcible
Site Admin

Unexpected music appearing on TV

Post by runcible »

I remember the surprise of hearing Spiritualized's 'If I Were With Her Now' in a Toffee Crisp advert many years ago. I also recall Luna's 'California (All The Way)' used to advertise American Express a while back. An inspired use of the closing section of The Black Crowes ' Descending' against a dusk scene of kangaroos milling about on a wildlife programme was effective. Clinic had 'The Second Line' in a Levi's ad too.

Last night I heard, to my amazement, Clinic's fantastic Velvets-orientated 'D.P.' in a Weetabix advert. Blimey - Clinic again? What gives?

I'm sure there are plenty of other strange appearances for beloved tunes on telly. Anyone?
Laz69
Known user

Re: Unexpected music appearing on TV

Post by Laz69 »

Heard Mazzy Star being used recently advertising some new TV show and frequently hear Mogwai in one shap or form too.

I think this is something The Heads should try to exploit :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Clinic's "IPC Sub-editors Dictate Our Youth" is used on an ad for Coors Light here in Ireland.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What is it with Clinic? A band you can't even look up the lyrics for, yet they are advert muzak junkies!

I've heard Spiritualized elsewhere - a wildlife doc I think - but I can't quite remember where.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

In a different thread I've already mentioned Brian Jonestown Massacre's 'Got My Eye On You' showing up on a Target commercial and The Black Angels 'Young Men Dead' the background for the Washington state lottery.

But, there is currently a Chrysler ad, which I am almost 100% certain is using The Pretty Things tune 'Street Girl'. Every time it comes on I strain my ear (the voiceover is loud) and the more I hear it the more I am convinced it is it, or at the very least, it's the same riff. This is very odd not just because it is a random, obscure choice of song for a major corporation (it's from their rare 'Electric Banana' releases) but it's also a song about a prostitute. :?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Death In Vegas-Your Acid ,My Loft ,noticed it being used on an advert for ladies hair dye products a couple of times this past week or so,
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I used to work for a commercial radio station that often played some pretty bad music, but most of us employees had far more refined tastes than the Nickelback and Fall Out Boy we had to play on air. We jumped at any chance we had to play or utilize the stuff we actually liked. Sometimes that meant sneaking in unauthorized "deep cuts" at night, and more often we would use obscure gems as the background in commercials or PSAs. Spiritualized and Radiohead b-sides got a lot of play, as well as some classic library music from the 60s.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

The Seed’s Can’t Seem to Make You Mine was used in an for Lynx (deodorant/shower gel/shaving foam) :D
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Spotted this today - made me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIwIdzTedts
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Can't find it yet but there was another Cadbury's advert for Chocolate Digestives with Edwin Hawkins Singers doing Oh Happy Day!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Just saw the new Bond movie this evening. Great fun and well thought out I must - highly recommended if you like that sort of thing.

Anyway, there was a Ford ad at the beginning accompanied by, to my amazement, Hawkwind's 'Master of the Universe' - the original version. It worked rather well and the ad was quite good. I guess Mr. Brock needs a few extra pennies now that he's... fuck, he's 71! Topping up his pension? My God rock 'n' roll is 'an old man's game'...

(Lemmy is a mere 66 by comparison - bit of a pipsqueak)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Same ad is showing on tv too Runci... i also stopped mis sentence when i heard the start of it! Instantly recognisable!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

went to the cinema last night- trailer for the new Tom Cruise film was soundtracked by none other than the Black Angels 'Young Men Dead'
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:went to the cinema last night- trailer for the new Tom Cruise film was soundtracked by none other than the Black Angels 'Young Men Dead'
Is that 'Jack Reacher'? I am a huge fan of Lee Child's books but, like many, regard this as the most inept and ridiculous piece of miscasting in cinema history. Plus Cruise can't act to save his life.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:Plus Cruise can't act to save his life.
I'm in no way a Tom Cruise fan, and was further alienated by his relationship with the delightful Katie Holmes, who's noteworthy portrayal of Joey Potter in 'Dawson's Creek' kept alive my teenage sensibilities after I was far too old to be the target audience for that show.

As for Tom Cruise himself, he played a key character in Aaron Sorkin's brilliant film adaptation of 'A Few Good Men', and played it well. In addition he made a seminal appearance in Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Magnolia' where he may have played more true to type, but nevertheless was an integral part of the ensemble cast that contributed to that film's cinematographic magnificence.

While he may embody the essence of Hollywood-Scientology type arseholes, I do not agree with the blanket statement that he can't act.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mojo filters wrote:While he may embody the essence of Hollywood-Scientology type arseholes, I do not agree with the blanket statement that he can't act.
Sorry - he was vaguely acceptable in Risky Business actually so I take it back.

In everything else I've seen him in he's been absolutely shocking to the point of embarrassment. I didn't even mention his personality - which is a far bigger subject than his lack of acting ability - so I think I've done rather well in my detailed critique of his career.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:
mojo filters wrote:While he may embody the essence of Hollywood-Scientology type arseholes, I do not agree with the blanket statement that he can't act.
Sorry - he was vaguely acceptable in Risky Business actually so I take it back.

In everything else I've seen him in he's been absolutely shocking to the point of embarrassment. I didn't even mention his personality - which is a far bigger subject than his lack of acting ability - so I think I've done rather well in my detailed critique of his career.
I concede I've not seen him in many films - I'm not really a fan of 'blockbusters' or mainstream Hollywood in general. Off the top of my head I can only recall seeing him in 'Top Gun' and the 'Mission Impossible' series (apart from the aforementioned). Films where I did not per se find him objectionable, so much as I disliked the movies themselves.

However he is an actor by profession, and I feel obtuse blanket statements such as that which you made, do not accurately reflect my experience of some of Tom Cruise's big screen performances (as outlined above).

Unlike, for example, Ronald Reagan, he has not run for public office, nor put himself forward as a representative of any cause or organisation, Scientology excepted (a 'faith' embraced by many Hollywood names from Kirstie Alley to John Travolta). Thus he has not presented himself as answerable for anything other than his performances as an actor.

Whatever shit he gets up to in his spare time, surely it is secondary to his primary role (and that which made him famous), and thus is by nature of secondary importance. Furthermore it is not strictly relevant to your supposed 'critique'.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as am I, but I thought Top Gun was not only rubbish but he was hilariously camp in it to the point where I started to feel the film was actually a comedy.

Take the film where everyone said he'd arrived as a mature actor and delivered an amazing performance - Born On The Fourth Of July. I thought he was hopeless in that. The scenes with him punching the air from his wheel chair in protest were cringeworthy for the wooden performance by the guy.

But you know what? I saw Risky Business in the cinema when it came out (yup - I am that old) and thought it very enjoyable. Probably wouldn't now but I did then. My partner at the time wanted to see Top Gun on release and so I went along thinking I would enjoy it, but I sat there in amazement at how bad it was. Easily one of the poorest films I have ever seen, made poorer by TC's angst-ridden expressions and attempts at masculinity.

What TC 'gets up to in his spare time' has no influence on my opinion of his acting - I haven't even referred to it.

Blanket statements are easy to make if you particularly find something or someone rubbish. Ask me about Primal Scream or the Manic Street Preachers. But ask others about bands I like - Green Pajamas took a pasting from some here, Bardo Pond got absolutely slated a few years ago... Does it bother me? No. Opinions opinions...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

top gun is a good cheesy watch
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
walking_civil_war
New user

Post by walking_civil_war »

I was at a cinema last week and the trailer for Life of Pi came on, the start of which is backed by Sæglópur my favourite Sigur Rós track. It was a pleasant surprise, which was more than I can say for the track played during the second half of the trailer; the ubiquitous Coldplay song, "Paradise". Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
Danny Rabbit
New user

Post by Danny Rabbit »

We get some very stereotypically weird stuff on TV here in Japan, there's an advert for an energy drink that uses the Great Escape theme tune, another advert for what I think is an insurance company uses Derek and the Domino's Layla(piano exit) the same music that was famously used on the end of Goodfellas.
Right now every shopping arcade is playing various strange versions of the usual Christmas classics. For some reason today my local arcade was also playing a rather jaunty version of The Red Flag, I got a little bit homesick for the Tooting Popular Front! :D
Sweet Songs Never Last Too Long On Broken Radios
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Danny Rabbit wrote:<snip>
an insurance company uses Derek and the Domino's Layla(piano exit) the same music that was famously used on the end of Goodfellas.
<snip>
Good call! Even before Scorsese used it to brilliant effect in the scene where the wig bloke and wife are shown dead in the car, it was my favourite part of that song ... the well known guitar-driven first part having become so overly-familiar to the point of being a hackneyed musical reference point :roll:
Dave Chappelle
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Heard Tame Impala's "Elephant" playing last night on, i think, a Blackberry advert...

Nice little earner i'd imagine...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I heard Hey Jane in the background of the Queen Vic on Eastenders last week :lol:
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Foals - Inhaler was playing in The Woolpack on Emmerdale last night!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I'm sure I heard The Aliens 'Bobby's Song' in the background of a link on BBC1 today.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Cat Powers Cherokee was on that BBC show Waterloo Road during the week past.

(ftr i want it noted i don't watch waterloo road. shamefully my parents do & was round there house the other night & heard it. really. honestly.)
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Finally got around to watching the Top Gear Africa Special - nice snippet of My Bloody Valentine - Soon in it!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

New Order's 'Dreams Never End' appeared in the background of The One Show the other night. Quite an odd choice although one of my favourite NO songs.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:New Order's 'Dreams Never End' appeared in the background of The One Show the other night. Quite an odd choice although one of my favourite NO songs.
Love that song and its always surprised me that Hooky didn't take vocal duties on more of their stuff. Still, he's fuelling his lead man fantasies with his new project now I guess.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

That horrible Soon remix was on Top Gear last week.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Lord Let It Rain was used by the BBC for the start of its (rain delayed) Formula 1 qualifying coverage this morning...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Just heard You know its True on a trailer on radio 4. For a comedy program about boredom with Tim Key, so it had lots of yawns in the background.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

runcible wrote:I also recall Luna's 'California (All The Way)' used to advertise American Express a while back.
Found this on youtube this evening!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Seems Luna did another AMEX ad too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQltp3AbhgI
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Klaus Johann Grobe on Football Focus today.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" on the Weather Channel while we freeze over (most) of North America.
I liked the Irony!
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Blimey...

Hookworms Radio Tokyo appearing as the lead intro music on Hollyoaks tonight. Even Mrs. Runcible spotted it.

Very unexpected!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Runcible!

I dunno what's worse, Hookworms selling their souls to Hollyoaks - or you admitting on a public forum you watch that sheer awfulness...
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ha ha! Hollyoaks is deranged! Never ceases to amaze me the story lines they stick in - hilarious!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

runcible wrote:Blimey...

Hookworms Radio Tokyo appearing as the lead intro music on Hollyoaks tonight. Even Mrs. Runcible spotted it.

Very unexpected!
I've heard odd bits of Hookworms on TV a few times since the new album was announced. I expect they're quite pleased as sync rights can be very lucrative. In an age where record sales alone rarely provide a reasonable income for artists, I don't think it's fair or justified to characterize licensing music to commercial interests where there is otherwise no artistic synergy as selling out - even something as awful as Hollyoaks!
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Yeah yeah yeah....

There are other ways to earn a living through musical enterprise than whoring yourself out to fucking Hollyoaks though.

That kind of "synergy" is all messed up: or rather metaphysically fallacious through an absence of principled righteousness...

And shit.
O P 8
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hollyoaks is one of the funniest programmes I have ever seen. We love it for the totally insane way they drastically change people's characters, memories, relationships. Call it a guilty pleasure.... We've all got 'em!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:Hollyoaks is one of the funniest programmes I have ever seen. We love it for the totally insane way they drastically change people's characters, memories, relationships. Call it a guilty pleasure.... We've all got 'em!
So Hollyoaks is 2015's guilty pleasure :shock: after 2014's Cliff Richard gig experience..... :lol:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

olan wrote:So Hollyoaks is 2015's guilty pleasure :shock: after 2014's Cliff Richard gig experience..... :lol:
Oh, no. Hollyoaks dates back a lot longer than this year... :D
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

runcible wrote:
olan wrote:So Hollyoaks is 2015's guilty pleasure :shock: after 2014's Cliff Richard gig experience..... :lol:
Oh, no. Hollyoaks dates back a lot longer than this year... :D
:? :?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Anyone else spot I'm a Cookoo on Charlie Brooker tonight?
Dave Chappelle
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Beck - Sexx Laws for the Reanault Twingo ad in the UK.

Reminded me of The Fall having Touch Sensitive to advertise Vauxhall.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

The 1969 Comedy film "Don't Drink the Water" was playing on a movie Channel, and the voice singing the "title track" seemed so familiar; but so happy.....it turned out to be Jake Holmes! which was a real surprise; I am still trying to think of another genuinely happy Jake Holmes track.

I have been collecting and enjoying his music for decades, and Today I learn something new. From 1969.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Forget to post that a fairly sizable and loud portion of B&S's "The Party Line" was playing in the café in Eastenders either last week or the week before.

Have to admit I was really enjoying the album recording of that track when it popped up so prominently and unexpectedly - a lot more than I previously have when playing the new album!
Dave Chappelle
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I was watching a documentary on the history of British wrestling - which I always remember hogging the TV on a Saturday afternoon in the 70s - when Fire's Father's Name Is Dad' appeared. Not what I was expecting although the soundtrack was actually pretty good for most of the programme. I love that song!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The closing scene and tittles of The Rack Pack on BBC. Spiritualized: Soul On Fire.

I found it quite suitable for someone that was once a great snooker player but had serious pain inside. So many looked up to The Hurricane.
Design.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I rarely watch any TV these days, so imagine my suprise when I flicked over to Newsnight on Monday. The presenter was visting somewhere in Scotland talking to people about Europe and ther music playing gently in the background was Spacemen's Three's Walking with Jesus!

Even more impressive was that if I'm not very much mistaken it might have been a version from Forged Prescriptions! Someone on their team has good taste.

From about twenty minutes in if you are keen -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... t-13062016
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

WTF? Bizarre!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

The Last Days of Legal Highs: Spiritualized — Drive (Instrumental)
Design.
green-field
New user

Post by green-field »

There was this local tv show once upon a time about making your home better. Nothing too serious like "Extreme Makeover", more of a small budget/good ideas/changing room design thing. Anyway, each time they would go shopping or showing the before/after differences, they would play this:

I also remember one episode (also shown only in my country, local thing), I think it was of a serious nature, telling stories about social problems and stuff like that and then this was played:

So, yeah, I was surprised both times, but that happens. Some good stuff is played. Rarely, but it sure does happen. Probably depends from people who are working there and suggesting music for background.
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

When a religion channels "old movies on late" went off air due to a satellite problem, Syd Barrett's "Word Song" must have kept the audience confused for the couple or three minutes it took to get the film back on.
Paracelsus
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

During some commercial where water and soap are flooding out of a washing machine, I was very pleased to hear at least a piece of Black Randy's "At the Laundrymat (That's Where it at - in Kingston)".
I didn't even see who was selling what!

Do you ever see commercials where you really are not sure just what they ARE trying to sell?
Paracelsus
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Ok, so it's radio rather than TV, but good to hear "Feel Like Goin' Home" being used for the Radio 4 trail of "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" this morning. Interestingly the first episode is "Hexagonal Phase". I wonder if there was some unconscious link to "Pure Pase" going on there.

This track was used for years at the end of some R2 programme every day - was it Steve Wright in the afternoon?

P
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just watched "Love Means Zero", a documentary about the tennis coach Nick Bollettieri. It featured Broken Heart and Good Times (Pure Phase version).
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

Surely this has to be one of the biggest surprises, although I'm not actually sure it works! https://youtu.be/tjVdLSPE7qo
KevW
Known user

Post by KevW »

KevW wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:17 am Surely this has to be one of the biggest surprises, although I'm not actually sure it works! https://youtu.be/tjVdLSPE7qo
OK, just found there was a thread about this a while ago, so apologies for the repetition, but I'll leave it here in case anyone missed it the first time around.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Spiritualized's music appeared on a Cliff Richard documentary (!!) on ITV this week. Instrumental from Out of Sight was used. An instrumental of Richard Ashcroft's song Break the Night with Colour was also used too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

heisenberg wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:46 pm Spiritualized's music appeared on a Cliff Richard documentary (!!) on ITV this week.
So Runci's in the tv game these days.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Just heard Come Together at the end of Season 5 Episode 1 of Luther.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Electricity on 'Operation Grand Canyon with Dan Snow', BBC4.