Rarest SPZ releases

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Nathan_kinder2016
Known user

Rarest SPZ releases

Post by Nathan_kinder2016 »

Anyone know of the rarest Spiritualized releases??
veiko
Known user

Re: Rarest SPZ releases

Post by veiko »

I might have a suggestion, but it's a belated idea. I'm about LAGWAFIS promo that came with the Elvis mix. That story is told too many times, but that actual version was probably the rarest, "was" because by now it is officially released, so i guess that promo disc only has symbolic value now. Though from financial point of view Spiritualized does not have any Holy Grail kind of super rare items in their discography.
Nathan_kinder2016
Known user

I have heard of that before. I believe it exists. Trying to track it down is a mission I need to take up!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

The promo CD with the Elvis mix is rare, but not that rare surely? But I do remember some talk about a small number of "finished" CDs (i.e. pill packaging rather than clear case) that had that mix on, which were send to the jurors of the Mercury Music Prize. I think they would be about the rarest thing going (if they actually exist, I'm not sure if we ever came to a definitive decision about that).
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Nathan_kinder2016
Known user

I did see a first pressing of it on vinyl earlier That was going for £250 but didn't say if it had the elvis version on it. That mercury music awards disc I bet is mega rare
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I don't remember anyone claiming that there are original vinyl copies with the Elvis mix - I'd be surprised if there are. But a few finished CDs is at least plausible.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

A first pressing of LAGWAFIS that plays through without skipping is a real rarity. I returned several around the time of issue and have had a bunch since. All of them seem to skip.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Ian wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm The promo CD with the Elvis mix is rare, but not that rare surely? But I do remember some talk about a small number of "finished" CDs (i.e. pill packaging rather than clear case) that had that mix on, which were send to the jurors of the Mercury Music Prize. I think they would be about the rarest thing going (if they actually exist, I'm not sure if we ever came to a definitive decision about that).
This has indeed been a topic of discussion before, here someone apparently opened their 12-disc set to see...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1259&p=13989&hilit=pounds#p13989
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

I found this mini documentary about the packaging of LAGWAFIS https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/075319-00 ... rds-11-11/
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Jasonsmith wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:55 am I found this mini documentary about the packaging of LAGWAFIS https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/075319-00 ... rds-11-11/
Brilliant find!

Elvis mix was never put on the original LAGWAFIS vinyl. Come on, old-timers of this forum, you must know that for sure :)
Sure thing - there is no "actual" release by Spiritualized that is super rare, but if we are talking about "format", then yes the original vinyl of LAGWAFIS is a pain in the ass to find a functioning version. Percentage of skipping vinyls is ridiculously high, so taking a risk and only because you are foaming and shaking finding a copy of it in ebay is not worthy. It's a mirage at large.
Nathan_kinder2016
Known user

That was a well interesting documentary! Thank you
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

There is that vinyl edition of LAG that was sold together with some record cover display frame. That one’s supposed to have the elvis version of the title track. That has to be a different cut than the original pressing and the Plain edition. And it’s rare. I should have got that one when it was released but didn’t because i already had the Plain version and didn’t know at the time it was a different cut.
Has anyone here actually heard it? How does it sound?
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

The Elvis mix on the promo CD was very easy to find on eBay for many years. It certainly wasn't very limited.

I'd go with the initial 200 copies of the 12xCD boxset for LAGWAFIS - with the clear pill shells so you can see the CDs - unlike the later ones which are completely covered.

I mentioned it a while back but I picked up one of the two clear sheets on eBay years ago - when I checked it a year or two back I noticed that some of the CDs were missing (I think it has 4/6) but each compartment is sealed. So it's a factory miss-pressing by all accounts.

Do any members here have a copy of the 200 clear bubble 12 cd set?

You can see both variants on Discogs (click on the images)

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... ase/607356

I wouldn't consider any of the promo/white label 12"s rare - seen multiple copies of each for sale over the years. Usually not very expensive.
Nathan_kinder2016
Known user

I had a look earlier but sadly only white plastic :(
Was crossing my fingers that it'd b clear plastic. Still super happy I own a copy. Surely with all the years gone and ppl opening them up, there can't b That many in mint condition in circulation
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm Do any members here have a copy of the 200 clear bubble 12 cd set?
I do, those photos on Discogs are of my copy (and some of the white).

The reissue 12 CD box was also limited to 1000 copies

Vinyl of both LAGWAFIS and Pure Phase were pressed in smallish quantities. LAG was 2000 and Pure Phase 1000 I believe. LAG still tends to sell for the highest sums, I guess more due to it being their 'famous' one.

A&E green vinyl was initially meant to be a run of 500 although more were subsequently pressed.

The white label of And Nothing Hurt that came with some copies of the normal vinyl was supposedly limited to 100, certainly there don't seem to be many copies that come up for sale.

Another release that seems to be quite rare (in that it rarely appears for sale) is the CD single of Lay Back in the Sun.

I see the reissue 12 pill box on eBay for about 100. For some reason I just don't see it as a rare value item for some strange reason that I can't explain. That green vinyl sounds amazing tho
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I believe there is a LGM CD that is very rare. Not sure of the specifics, but it has been discussed here before...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

toomilk wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:03 pm I believe there is a LGM CD that is very rare. Not sure of the specifics, but it has been discussed here before...
Isn't that the Japanese version whose catalogue number was BVCP 206? Which is also the name of one of our forumites :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I think that's correct.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It was re-released or someone in Japan found more copies. A few of us finally found a few.
Having collected Spiritualized from the beginning I cant think of what is the rarest release.
There were loads of promo items. The 1993 tour box was pretty hard to find but the rarity is really just the insert and box itself with strip around it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I remember when Fucked Up Inside was rare.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Sim wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 pm Another release that seems to be quite rare (in that it rarely appears for sale) is the CD single of Lay Back in the Sun.
Is that the "dedicated spirit 007cd" CD single, just titled Spiritualized Electric Mainline, with Good Times, Lay Back In The Sun and Electric Mainline on it?

Whilst I haven't looked for these things for a long time, I recall finding a complete Let It Flow triple CD set the hardest to find - at least at a decent price.

I'd be in to know if there's anything rare about the Pinkpop version of the Abbey Road EP with the extra four live tracks. Curiously the card box and inner packaging of that is not quite as nice as the regular version.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

mojo filters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 am
Sim wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 pm Another release that seems to be quite rare (in that it rarely appears for sale) is the CD single of Lay Back in the Sun.
Is that the "dedicated spirit 007cd" CD single, just titled Spiritualized Electric Mainline, with Good Times, Lay Back In The Sun and Electric Mainline on it?
I was thinking of this one: https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... ase/773576. Yet another version of Lay Back, although I think it was included on Complete Works.
mojo filters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 am I'd be in to know if there's anything rare about the Pinkpop version of the Abbey Road EP with the extra four live tracks.
I don't know how rare that one is but it took me a fair while to track down a copy. I don't look for Spiritualized stuff that often any more but it doesn't seem to appear regularly for sale.

Post by mojo filters »

That's definitely different to my CD, in fact I'm not sure I've even seen that one before. Apparently there are two versions of the CD I have, one with blue text and one with white text as the only differentiation. I wonder what that was about?

Also curious is that it's dated 1993, yet in line with Pure Phase and the Spiritualized Electric Mainline name and stylised logo / artwork - which I didn't think appeared until around the release of the album in 1995.

I have to admit I'm not sure I've listened to it since I found it many years ago. However I assume the mixes from 1993 will be different to those from Pure Phase, presumably done in conventional stereo - rather than the final binaural mix from which Pure Phase got its title?
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I also just noticed the Dub Together / Rematerialised remix 12" is not actually credited to Spiritualized on Discogs, but just to Death In Vegas.

As I recall, that was quite a hard one to track down. Though it might have been partly due to searches confusing it with the other Richard Fearless / Death In Vegas and Two Lone Swordsman 12" remixes of Come Together.
Dave Chappelle
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

mojo filters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am Also curious is that it's dated 1993, yet in line with Pure Phase and the Spiritualized Electric Mainline name and stylised logo / artwork - which I didn't think appeared until around the release of the album in 1995.

I have to admit I'm not sure I've listened to it since I found it many years ago. However I assume the mixes from 1993 will be different to those from Pure Phase, presumably done in conventional stereo - rather than the final binaural mix from which Pure Phase got its title?
Different versions rather than different mixes. Similar story to Medication. Yes, the Electric Mainline EP predated Pure Phase by around 18 months and introduced the 'Spiritualized Electric Mainline' styling, although it was modified slightly by the time Pure Phase came out.

The Lay Back... single itself came out later in 1995, after Pure Phase and Let It Flow.

Post by catweazel »

Sim wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:16 pm
catweazel wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 pm Do any members here have a copy of the 200 clear bubble 12 cd set?
Another release that seems to be quite rare (in that it rarely appears for sale) is the CD single of Lay Back in the Sun.
[EDIT: I didn't read below... where it was discussed already!]

Do you mean this one here?

https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-L ... ase/773576

I bought that one when it was released - and I also thought it seemed quite rare... although the 14 copies for sale on Discogs suggests otherwise :) Still one of my fav Spiritualized tunes.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Sim wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:05 pm
mojo filters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am Also curious is that it's dated 1993, yet in line with Pure Phase and the Spiritualized Electric Mainline name and stylised logo / artwork - which I didn't think appeared until around the release of the album in 1995.

Different versions rather than different mixes. Similar story to Medication.
Well different versions produced via different mixing techniques then, though I believe the terminology I used is correct (unless the 1993 versions are not mixed in conventional stereo.)

Jason has said in interviews that he ended up mixing Pure Phase from two different (L/R) mixes, as he wanted to use both for the final album mix, hence ended up using a technique he'd not used before - so I'd not expect the Pure Phase approach to appear on an earlier release.

The name comes from taking two mixes, which in order to maintain overall phase coherence, needed to be carefully spliced together around every eight bars, to best approximate a match to the ideal coherent phase relationship.

Obviously that's technically matching time, as whilst phase cycles exist as a time domain function, the logarithmic nature of the frequency spectrum and the shortening length of each cycle as frequency increases - means it is near impossible (even with modern digital tools) to accurately adjust phase for two differing signals containing multiple frequencies.

It should be easy to hear the differences. For example channels such as vox and kick drum are normally mixed to the centre, however even when near-identical separate signals are heard at exactly the same time in both left and right - the inability to maintain a perfect phase relationship will lead to a floating effect, with those sounds moving around both channels.

I'm just going by interviews I remember Jason giving, but I may be misremembering or maybe he'd been experimenting earlier than his comments indicated.
Dave Chappelle
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

mojo filters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:57 pm
Sim wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Different versions rather than different mixes. Similar story to Medication.
Well different versions produced via different mixing techniques then, though I believe the terminology I used is correct (unless the 1993 versions are not mixed in conventional stereo.)

Jason has said in interviews that he ended up mixing Pure Phase from two different (L/R) mixes, as he wanted to use both for the final album mix, hence ended up using a technique he'd not used before - so I'd not expect the Pure Phase approach to appear on an earlier release.

The name comes from taking two mixes, which in order to maintain overall phase coherence, needed to be carefully spliced together around every eight bars, to best approximate a match to the ideal coherent phase relationship.

Obviously that's technically matching time, as whilst phase cycles exist as a time domain function, the logarithmic nature of the frequency spectrum and the shortening length of each cycle as frequency increases - means it is near impossible (even with modern digital tools) to accurately adjust phase for two differing signals containing multiple frequencies.

It should be easy to hear the differences. For example channels such as vox and kick drum are normally mixed to the centre, however even when near-identical separate signals are heard at exactly the same time in both left and right - the inability to maintain a perfect phase relationship will lead to a floating effect, with those sounds moving around both channels.

I'm just going by interviews I remember Jason giving, but I may be misremembering or maybe he'd been experimenting earlier than his comments indicated.
Thanks for posting this mojo. It's been really interesting to read the science as well as a straightforward explanation for the decision to use different mixes in each channel for Pure Phase. I was aware there were different mixes in each channel, but it's great to finally read such a fantastic breakdown of the true impact such an approach has on its sound.

I always felt like the production on PP was my favourite of all of Jason's albums, and it's a sound I have been obsessed with since the first time I heard the album. The quiet and most delicate parts of the record are exceptionally beautiful, and the distortion, feedback, bass and kick drum all seem to rip harder than most other records. And the description of the sound 'floating' kind of nails it.

I remember an interview somewhere when someone quizzed Jason on the title and he gave a giggle and said 'it just has lots of phasers on it.' Perhaps he couldn't be bothered trying to explain for the umpteenth time the superb details you have laid out for us above :lol:

Cheers!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

This was an interesting endeavour undertaken by mc - viewtopic.php?t=9688

Post by heisenberg »

Sim wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm This was an interesting endeavour undertaken by mc - viewtopic.php?t=9688
Very cool. Does anyone still have mc's L and R rips they'd be willing to share?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have them somewhere. I can put them up if anyone else doesn't already have them readily available.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Ha! That's a blast from the past. Give me half an hour or so and I'll dig them out again :D

(bear in mind I think they were 128 kB/s rips and I can't be arsed redoing them at a higher bitrate :lol: )
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Well, that's a pisser - I don't seem to have them any more! If toomilk or anybody else with long digital memories could upload them that would be great :D
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Someone on eBay has this up for 35 GBP:

SPIRITUALIZED LAZER GUIDED MELODIES 2X VINYL LP IN EXCELLENT CONDITION DEDLP 004
Seller: royalblue09

Too much for me (shipping to USA) but someone over there might want to grab it.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Ian wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:57 pm Here you go.
Thank you so much!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

davedecay wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 pm Someone on eBay has this up for 35 GBP:

SPIRITUALIZED LAZER GUIDED MELODIES 2X VINYL LP IN EXCELLENT CONDITION DEDLP 004
Seller: royalblue09

Too much for me (shipping to USA) but someone over there might want to grab it.
Alas, no 7" with it. Still an absolute wonder to listen to on vinyl tho...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Not quite a release, more like a fine (?) vintage... the story of how this was a thing and ended up in my pal's cupboard years later is epic in itself. 8)

RE: Death in Vegas 'Dub Together'. I remember hearing that on Mary-Anne Hobbes Breezeblock probably 20 years ago. Jesus.

Some years later I walked into the upstairs of Fopp in Glasgow when it was just a vinyl store and was stunned to hear it being played. Asked the guy behind the counter about it - he pointed to the new releases rack and there it was. Semi-legit black label.

Anyway, I got it for £5. Should have bought a few...
O P 8
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Every day I wake up and I take my....

Post by ro »

Sim, that’s hilarious! :D