Acoustic Mainlines - Hackney Empire - 14th Sep

This is where upcoming information on gigs will be posted.

Moderators: runcible, MODLAB

James T
Known user

Acoustic Mainlines - Hackney Empire - 14th Sep

Post by James T »

Well, well, well... Where did this come from?? On sale Friday.
Last edited by James T on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
stegraham
Known user

Re: Acoustic Mainlines - Hackney Empire - 12th Sep

Post by stegraham »

Ha :-) I just posted the same news too - it's the 14th though isn't it?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I hope it's a one off and not the signal for an autumn acoustic tour.

Edit: it would appear to be a one-off for some festival type thing. £57 plus booking :shock:
Last edited by sunray on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Wonder if there'll be some pre-sale info soon - hope so! Looks like it's part of a festival - "Somewhere Festival". never heard of it!
James T
Known user

Re: Acoustic Mainlines - Hackney Empire - 14th Sep

Post by James T »

Date amended. Seems the cost is the standard Spzd show price now. Seems a lot but it's pretty rare they're playing over here now so I'll pay it, given it's a Saturday and I can actually make this one.

Really disappointed the ANH tour never really stopped by anywhere but the US for a real run, but I guess the crowds and offers were more forthcoming over there.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Also, all shows seem expensive now, so I guess it's just normal. (Wilco is like £70 in London for the reasonable seats?)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

gigs do generally seem to be getting steep nowadays, for any 'name' act.

it is a bit pricey for me really, especially when you factor in getting down to London etc. i know it could possibly include SHSL and ANS songs which would be cool, but I have a feeling it might just be the same setlist that was played back in the day. will have to go some way to beat those shows!

SOMEWHERE brings unique performances at special venues around the world with distinctive staging and the backdrop of their trademark 1001 candles

sounds like it would suit the acoustic mainlines setup nicely.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

For that price they must be using Jo Malone candles!!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Unlikely I'll make this - however a tour would be a great idea. Maybe they should play Edinburgh Queen's Hall on a Saturday night?
O P 8
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Unreserved seating...will be filmed apparently, hopefully there won’t be an unseemly scrum to get to the front row...
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Unreserved seating is an annoyance for me, needn't have flustered so much to get online at work. Will have to get there early for that aisle seat.
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

Just got my Stalls ticket. Flying into London for this one. Maybe someone here would like to meet up?
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 pm Unlikely I'll make this - however a tour would be a great idea. Maybe they should play Edinburgh Queen's Hall on a Saturday night?
Sadly me neither. Initially I wasn't even especially tempted, relative to my normal enthusiasm for attending as many Spz gigs as I can reasonably afford.

I've always been especially grateful there are so many really great quality recordings of Acoustic Mainlines, from every iteration of the tours and various one-off gigs - covering the whole of the evolving, expanding set list, providing a complete lasting document of this special, inspired, and outright heavenly musical concept!

However after listening to the first night of the Union Chapel pair of Christmas gigs for the first time in quite a while, I suddenly remembered just how extra special the live experience was, hence subsequently have become rather envious of those lucky enough to be going to this new gig.

I very much like your idea of a Saturday night gig in Queen's Hall, Edinburgh. That was quite special and unique, amongst all of the Acoustic Mainlines shows I was lucky to get to see.

The audience enthusiasm that night provided a real party vibe, contrasting nicely with the relatively muted reverence of the others, without becoming overly intrusive and impacting the delicate nature of the performance.

Of course it would be necessary to recreate the experience right down to the smallest detail, hence we'd obviously have to continue the established Scottish Spiritualized tradition of missing one another both before and after the gig ;)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
gassjack
Known user

Post by gassjack »

So happy about this! Somehow managed to miss the whole thing the first time round so am very excited I get a chance to see an AM show.
and through wax seals and padlocks...a hand through my ribcage...past the choking I saw palms and fingers grasping shoulders...collarbone...crushing...I imagined myself hacking desperately at a sea of appendages...freeing myself like a butcher...
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:13 am i know it could possibly include SHSL and ANS songs which would be cool, but I have a feeling it might just be the same setlist that was played back in the day.
Little hints out there today re: ANH material
Very much looking forward to reviews ..
selib
Known user

Post by selib »

I'm hoping for some Daniel Johnston covers. I would cry...a lot
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

selib wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 am I'm hoping for some Daniel Johnston covers. I would cry...a lot
I'd say that was likely anyway.. even more likely now..

ANH material would be cool. I guess I'm Your Man and Perfect Miracle are a shoo in at least.
SHSL material would be good too, I know Too Late was played once before in the acoustic format and I think it would work well.
as I said though I'm not expecting a hugely different setlist however very happy to be proved wrong (not that I'll be there..)
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

This was the set list for the charity Union Chapel gig in December 2012.

Here It Comes (The Road) Let's Go
Freedom
A Perfect Miracle
Silent Night

I doubt we will get Silent Night but both SHSL & ANH covered, so I'm hoping for a bit of a different set to what used to be the recognized one. Really looking forward to this.
ronn109
Known user

Post by ronn109 »

Awesome show, in my eyes anyway, emotional and beautiful as always, different to the previous acoustic shows but also similar too, Daniel Johnson remained , morning after from anh, and the Jesus be my radio one (I can never recall the title) from Shsl

The candles were ace, my photos are too big, I will try to find a way to post them!

Jason, doggen. 6 singers and 8. String players, about 95 mins

I hope it was filmed as suggested!
JJ1977
Known user

Post by JJ1977 »

Went roughly, though not exactly like this

Rock and roll
Going Down Slow
The Morning After
Sitting On Fire
Soul On Fire
True Love Will Find You In The End
Walking With Jesus
Too Late
Step Into The Breeze
Feel So Sad
Baby I’m Just a Fool
Lord Can You Hear Me?
Anything More/Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Don’t Hold Me Close
Broken Heart
I Think I’m In Love
Life Is A Problem
Goodnight Goodnight
Oh Happy Day
ronn109
Known user

Post by ronn109 »

Anything more into ladies and gents , with the proper outdo was truly beautiful
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

JJ1977 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 pm Step Into The Breeze
Beautiful :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

That set list!!!
O P 8
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I bet it was an amazing night. Almost gutted I couldn't make it but I couldn't really justify the cost. Would have been a £200 night for me and the Mrs coming up from Brighton. I'm so used to intimate gigs and paying under £10 in Brighton these days that those sums of money seem extortionate to me. Plus the fact I did 5 Acoustic Mainline shows back in the day (Brighton, London (twice?), Manchester and Edinburgh). Hope those that did go had a great time though.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

What a setlist! I wish this show would tour across the UK in the winter.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Some tears were shed last night . The set, the sound , it was all too much . Highlight of my year so far.
Probably posted in the wrong heading.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Sick.
Would love to hear how The Morning After sounded.
Same with Step Into The Breeze.
Looks awesome.
Hopefully someone taped audio.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

As mentioned, the whole evening was a beautiful experience. I loved the set list though was a bit surprised there was only one ANH song in there, especially as the whole set was about twenty minutes short of a usual AM show.

There’s some lovely pictures in this review but the reviewer didn’t seem to notice that there were twice as many string players as previous AM set ups.

https://www.theupcoming.co.uk/2019/09/1 ... ve-review/
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Can't believe that it takes so long for posting a audience recording of it :D I'm very sure that someone recorded it, so come on and share it.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

veiko wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 pm Can't believe that it takes so long for posting a audience recording of it :D I'm very sure that someone recorded it, so come on and share it.
I've been searching for clips on u tube, but nothing so far, closest I found was this teaser clip of them rehearsing in a cellar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StS6OOJXyC4
It was quite pleasing during the show as I hardly saw anyone brandishing their phone, but a bit disappointing now that no clips have appeared.

Did anyone else get caught out by the start time? We rocked up a couple of minute past eight, and they were already on stage about to start the first song! Quite a shock. I wasn't expecting 8 to be the start time at all!

Was an enjoyable gig, and a great trip to London. Hackney had a lovely atmosphere in the sunshine.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Here's a pic of the setlist from "spacem3n" (https://www.instagram.com/spacem3n/) on Instagram.

20190917_120937[1].jpg
20190917_120937[1].jpg (454.98 KiB) Viewed 15518 times

Loads of video/audio clips on Instagram too. Gutted to have missed it. Sounds amazing.
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

"Thank you"
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

beautiful setlist ❤️ i have not seen "lord can you hear me" in a while.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

very happy to eat my words, it's a great setlist and quite different to the old ones.

I saw a little snippet of Step Into The Breeze, sounded quite different to the LGM take obviously. very string based.

wonder if any more dates will be announced? (although every about this screams 'one off' you never know)
get the proper electric UK tour out of the way first though eh Jason? :)
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 am I saw a little snippet of Step Into The Breeze, sounded quite different to the LGM take obviously. very string based.
that sounds lovely, what is the address of said snippet?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

wow, that setlist is fantastic. I loved the original acoustic mainlines sets, but this seems like something really special. really hoping someone managed to record it!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

ro wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:31 pm
angelsighs wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:13 am I saw a little snippet of Step Into The Breeze, sounded quite different to the LGM take obviously. very string based.
that sounds lovely, what is the address of said snippet?
it was shared with me on twitter so not youtube or anything.. however i think if I just get the link you should be able to view, will dig it out
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

This should be it: https://mobile.twitter.com/kennykensit/ ... 1080061952

If need be, take out mobile. from link and replace with www.

Also, you need to watch with your head on sideways...
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

Found this:

https://twitter.com/kennykensit/status/ ... 61952?s=20

Noticed that the discussion on this thread suggesting that the show was filmed and that something should be coming soon. Does anyone have any more info?
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Thanks, guys!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Good stuff right there (sideways and all).
Jason’s voice still sounds pristine after all this time.
I wouldn’t hold my breath about it being video’d for release.
Wasn’t some other Acoustic Mainlines show also professionally recorded years ago for a supposed official release?
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

good dope/good fun wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 am I wouldn’t hold my breath about it being video’d for release.
Wasn’t some other Acoustic Mainlines show also professionally recorded years ago for a supposed official release?
I seem to remember Brighton being filmed (I think! Although I was there, it seems like such a long time ago...). But there was a badly out-of-tune guitar by the time of Goodnight Goodnight.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

good dope/good fun wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 amWasn’t some other Acoustic Mainlines show also professionally recorded years ago for a supposed official release?
There even was announcement on some label's page about Acoustic Mainline dvd, but i don't remember the name of that label. Let's not start a storm of complaints, but Manchester gig board recording of AM has Doggen playing keys rather shady. Or wasn't it even not a dvd of AM that was in plans? Out-of-tune guitar or shady keys playing must really turn off any idea of releasing a document of live performance. Perhaps destiny just wasn't smiling that day when it was officially recorded?
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Ian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:02 pm
good dope/good fun wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 am I wouldn’t hold my breath about it being video’d for release.
I seem to remember Brighton being filmed (I think! Although I was there, it seems like such a long time ago...). But there was a badly out-of-tune guitar by the time of Goodnight Goodnight.
the brighton acoustic mainlines gig was glorious but as i recall jason broke a string on his acoustic, which is the kind of thing that might have stopped him from choosing to release it as an official document (and would have explained why the guitar went out of tune later). funny because when it happened i remember everyone cheering and shouts of 'come on, jasooon!' I have such great memories of that night, so i'm very jealous of everyone who made it to the acoustic mainlines revisited gig.