2020- looking forward to

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

2020- looking forward to

Post by angelsighs »

don't think we've got a thread on this yet. any ideas on which artists have new releases lined up?

there's a new Six Organs of Admittance in February, like every year I hope that MBV might release something. Slowdive are working on a new one I think.
apart from that I'm not sure?
Laz69
Known user

Re: 2020- looking forward to

Post by Laz69 »

New Carlton Melton? Pretty sure they're touring late in 2020 to promote it...
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

There's already a few I'm looking forward to:

Isobel Campbell
Elephant Stone (out of Valetines Day!)
Flyying Colours
The Orielles
C90 Compilation
The Yearning (well, they say they've been recording new stuff)

I'm not going to say Cheval Sombre because I've said that for the last 2-3 years and a new album never seems to materialise!

Ste
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Looking at the track list for the C90 comp:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/c90 ... tists-3cd/

there's Highrise Love by the Darkside. Is this the first time this has had an "offical" digital release? I have it on 12", but I don't think it's on any of the Darkside CDs I have - not even the recent box set release.

Ste
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I've already got my first amazing release of 2020.
Pictish Trail- Thumb World. I was given an advance CD today at my fave local record shop.
Gorgeous lo fi electro pop. Seems each release of theirs get better than the one before. Saw them open for Steve Mason in Liverpool. They were excellent with more witty Scottish stage banter on stage that added to the already immensely enjoyable set.
Having now listened to this 4 times today this would have been near the top of my 2019 list except is has a 2020 release date.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the new Six Organs of Admittance is excellent- came out a couple of weeks ago. I thought the last one (Burning The Threshold) was okay but didn't really break any new ground- it was kind of his return to the classic acoustic sound after the sidestep of that whole Hexadic thing. new one is fantastic though- still with those fine finger picking melodies but he's added layers of electronics (or apparently very processed guitars) which are often noisy or unexpected. or often beautiful- the opening track 'Pacific' is a gorgeous bit of ambience.

there's also a new Dream Syndicate album out soon. again the last one didn't blow me away- it leaned a bit too much on shorter more poppy songs. new one however is a double album full of lengthy workouts and a very psychedelic sleeve 8) . the song they've released (doesn't really seem right to call it a 'single'!) is a 20 minute long groove with some jazzy horns coming in. I thoroughly approve!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

as per my last post, the Dream Syndicate album is as expected superb. pretty trippy, every song is at least 8 minutes long with repetitive grooves, rippling guitars, and even some jazzy horns. my favourite song is Apropos of Nothing which goes into a very Velvets chug at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDdaLnP9BmE

also the new Sunwatchers album is very good, they haven't made a bad album yet in my opinion. it's streaming here at The Wire's website. get on it if you want your noisy jazz punk fix.

https://www.thewire.co.uk/audio/tracks/ ... unwatchers