The Dylan Thread

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: The Dylan Thread

Post by angelsighs »

Dylan winning the Nobel seems to have enraged quite a few people which is funny. still somehow managing to troll people after all this time :)
Dylan does seem to be a bit of a marmite artist. you either get him in a deep way, or can't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW I think it's a bit of a red herring- yes he's one of my favourite lyricists but I don't think his work counts as literature or poetry. only a few of the lyrics read well off the page- it's all so intertwined with the delivery and performance.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Poetry is meant to be delivered and performed, it's all so intertwined in the language & form. Of course it counts as poetry. Anthony Kedis is a lyricist, Thom Yorke's a lyricist. Bob Dylan is a poet.
gonna burn brightly
for a while
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

jack white wrote:Poetry is meant to be delivered and performed, it's all so intertwined in the language & form. Of course it counts as poetry. Anthony Kedis is a lyricist, Thom Yorke's a lyricist. Bob Dylan is a poet.
I do believe Poetry CAN be performed; but I also believe the difference between a musical presentation of "Poetic Lyrics" is, well, a musical performance. The Poetry Reading is an older form that one must look for in the World of Today; I have a wonderful Flyer from the 1890's of "A Miss (someone) will give her Interpretation of (someone's Poem), "X" at this place and this time. It had such wonderful artwork I used it to create a Flyer for a Graduate Student, "The Lovely Miss R. Will give her Novel Synthesis of Linear Dienones" and so on. But there was no music in either case, simply a talented delivery of Words of Meaning. Rarely does one see a Poetry Reading outside of academia or someone selling their latest book.

When I think of Poetry, there need not be anyone else but myself reading. A performance of Shakespeare is a play; the reading of it alone, by myself, is mine alone. I can understand how many people would be reticent to give an award for Literature to a Songwriter. I believe they invoked the impact of this one person over the decades to back their reasoning, and I am not bothered by it. It's their party, so the favors and prizes they give are theirs to give. As for myself, I tend to look at Poetry in a more classical manner, read to ones self, or perhaps to another, but not a "sold out house" unless the booking clearly reads Poetry Reading. When a band is added, it is music. In Book form, Lyrics can be Poetry for the way it will be "performed" - quietly alone in most cases.

Still, there ARE Lyrics that stand alone as wonderful Poetry; but I am more likely to think of Poetry as something read by myself, or read aloud. Are Bob Dylan's words alone Poetry? Surely, as many lyrics are. Simply remove the music. Much of music is poetry set to music, and some performances may be considered as "pure poetry". Still, I understand why others disagree, or why my interpretation is too narrow. To each his own, or her own. Maybe I just like to have those things that are defined to be reconsidered if they are changed significantly. Otherwise, what "meaning" is there to anything with meaning?
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

In reviewing the releases in the Bootleg Series, I realized that I missed out on Vol. 8: Tell Tale Signs (Rare & Unreleased 1986-2006). I found a copy on Discogs and purchased it today. Looking forward to it. Curious if anyone here has thoughts on this volume.
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

Unsurprisingly, I love tell tale signs.
I don't want to spoil it for you by hyping it up so I'll say no more. Post yer thoughts tho when you listen to it please.

Some of us scare ourselves to death in the dark
To be where the angels fly..
gonna burn brightly
for a while
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Tell Tale Signs is one of the very best of the Bootleg Series in my opinion.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

angelsighs wrote:Tell Tale Signs is one of the very best of the Bootleg Series in my opinion.
go tell ol' bill
“You're not Dostoevsky,' said the citizeness

'Well, who knows, who knows,' he replied.

'Dostoevsky's dead,' said the citizeness, but somehow not very confidently.

'I protest!' Behemoth exclaimed hotly. 'Dostoevsky is immortal!”
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The triple-album part excited me.

The yet more old-time covers aspect does not... :(
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah, not really interested in this. I agree it's cool that it's a triple album but another album of covers is not that exciting.
from what I heard of the Sinatra ones, his bands playing was really nice and stuff and he did okay but I would much rather hear him do original songs.
if he was doing covers I would prefer they were totally random or modern tunes rather than old standards too. he's covered the odd weird one on the Never Ending Tour..

he's no spring chicken.. I wonder if Tempest will remain his last statement of original songs?
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

hint?
I mentioned last Monday that we would soon have full details about Clinton Heylin’s new Dylan book “Trouble In Mind: Bob Dylan’s Gospel Years — What Really Happened.” Published in the UK by those nice people at route publishing, the book will be issued in paperback to coincide with the next official Bootleg Series box set release. Due for publication in the UK during the first week of November

plus

I’m hearing rumours that Bob spent time in a studio while in Ireland at the end of his European tour. I mentioned in the latest issue of ISIS some weeks back that Dylan spent several days in Ireland after his concert at the 3Arena in Dublin on Thursday May 11. I heard he was in Dublin until the Monday after the show, which at the time seemed a little strange to me. Well, it appears that during this time he spent three days at Ardmore Studios in Bray. There are rumours that he might have been recording an album there but this would seem extremely unlikely. Ardmore Studios in Killarney, Bray, are used almost exclusively for recording film, television and video. Irish band The Corrs has recorded two albums there but both of those involved filming: “The Corrs Unplugged” was part of MTV’s Unplugged series and “The Corrs, Live In Dublin” was part of the VH1 Presents series.

With its five sound stages, all geared up primarily for film work, Ardmore Studios is just 12 miles south of Dublin city. The recording is said to have been carried out with Irish engineers but also possibly with US personnel flown in for the duration. Dylan’s tour band was present throughout.

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My understanding is the the next Bootleg release is definitely a gospel years set.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah there's been a fair few leaks and tidbits about the next Bootleg Series which is definitely going to be a Gospel Years set. It's unclear how many discs it's going to be (probably with various options for how big your wallet is) but will probably include some video, a complete live show as well as studio versions of songs not heard before.
Not sure I'm that interested in this period to be honest, having said that the Bootleg Series can often be really good at making you reevaluate the era it documents. I always got the impression Self Portrait was crap, but Another Self Portrait was a great listen.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i recently found the 1965 bonus live shows avaible to download online. don't know if i'll ever listen to them though!

also doing the rounds is a live snippet of lily,...jack of hearts never heard before from the rolling thunder warm ups. seems the one after may be rolling thunder

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I remember that live version of Lily.. being rumoured for ages. I think it was seen on setlists but never actually circulated until now. I'm curious, but it's not a song I have much fondness for- it totally ruins the flow of Blood On The Tracks!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so they've announced the next Bootleg Series and as expected it covers the 'Gospel years'

8 CDs and a DVD with documentary. first two discs is a curated selection of live highlights (these discs also make up the 2CD option), then there's some studio recordings, then finally a couple of discs with complete live shows.

I think this might be the first Dylan bootleg series I skip. The OCD part of me pains that there'll be a gap on the shelf, but I'm just not that interested in this period. It looks like they've done it well and covered a lot, but I'm just not that interested in hearing Dylan sermonise over a slick rock backing. it's a strange period of his career.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm torn over this release, too. The 4xLP version is $100. I hate the idea of spending that much cash on something I'll never listen to, but who knows, maybe I'd really dig it. My gut says that I won't, though.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

for what it's worth, I've heard a fair amount of people say that the music of this period is pretty fine, even if you don't agree with the message. and that a lot of the best stuff isn't on the albums.

the cost is a bit eyewatering, I would just think of how many other albums I could buy for that price.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i'm very excited about this. i love this period, some songs- i beleive in you, every grain of sand, slow train etc are amoung his best. the price puts me off though. i normally buy them and then send people links to download my cds, maybe i'll be the lucky one this time, hint hint :lol: :wink:

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I can't argue with Every Grain of Sand, great song. But even the other key songs of this period don't do much for me
Roll on Bootleg Series vol 14 which is likely to be a Blood on The Tracks set (possibly with other stuff from the period- Rolling Thunder, Desire?)
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

i've only just finished the basement tapes! still so much to go through

what eras haven't been done yet? early's been done, mid 60s (inc 66 twice), late 60s, 70s (once), 80s-2000s

what's been missed so far? recent tours?

are there outtakes from tempest?

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The Dr wrote:i've only just finished the basement tapes! still so much to go through

what eras haven't been done yet? early's been done, mid 60s (inc 66 twice), late 60s, 70s (once), 80s-2000s

what's been missed so far? recent tours?

are there outtakes from tempest?
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... oc-w504817
check out this article. lots of ideas knocking around for future entries. they are bound to do something on the Never Ending Tour eventually- I think all the shows are pro recorded.

I've also heard an idea of one covering pre-fame Dylan in the coffee shops of New York.
The Dr
Known user

Post by The Dr »

anyone know where I can get bootlegs of the current tour (starting this month)?

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Stream 15 tracks from the new boxset. Gotta admit, it's pretty awesome stuff. Now I want it.

http://www.npr.org/2017/10/26/560044267 ... -1979-1981
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

o that era is great. if he had been singing and rambling on about heroin everyone would love it, but as he uses the words God and Jesus people hate it- something that destroys lives- great, something that saves lives- bad

liberals eh? :wink:

if only it wasn't 150! the dvd film looks awesome too!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

oh no don't say that! I need to save my pennies :(
1+1-1
Known user

Post by 1+1-1 »

it's brilliant. I found a copy online as it is beyond my reach atm but i'd happily make it part of my collection in the future
space
Known user

Post by space »

Bob Dylan - More Blood, More Tracks
The Wait Is Over
The latest chapter in the highly acclaimed Bootleg Series presents the pivotal studio recordings made by Bob Dylan during six extraordinary sessions in 1974 that resulted in the artist's 1975 masterpiece, Blood On The Tracks.

More Blood, More Tracks will be available as a strictly limited deluxe CD set and as a 1CD / 2LP configuration.

The 6CD full-length deluxe version includes the complete New York sessions in chronological order including outtakes, false starts and studio banter. The album's producers have worked from the best sources available, in most cases utilizing the original multi-track session tapes.
Bob Dylan - More Blood, More Tracks
Also included is a hardcover photo book featuring a complete reproduction of one of Dylan's legendary handwritten 57 page notebooks, where you can follow the lyrical development of the songs that would eventually comprise Blood On The Tracks.

The deluxe box set is a limited edition. After it sells out, no additional copies will be made.
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

For those in the US, Amazon Canada is offering the new sets for much less than the US site. I just ordered the 6CDs and the vinyl for $110 total (would have been $190 on the US site).
space
Known user

Post by space »

Pat Garrett wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 pm For those in the US, Amazon Canada is offering the new sets for much less than the US site. I just ordered the 6CDs and the vinyl for $110 total (would have been $190 on the US site).

do you have a link for canada? it's £251 in the uk!
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

Unfortunately Amazon.ca sold out of the CD set five mins after I posted this. The price you mentioned is probably for the Japanese import. It's on Amazon.de for 120 Euros.

https://www.amazon.de/More-Blood-Tracks ... ore+tracks

Edit: that's the same price as HMV UK:
https://store.hmv.com/music/cd/more-blo ... tracks-(1)
space
Known user

Post by space »

Pat Garrett wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:06 am Unfortunately Amazon.ca sold out of the CD set five mins after I posted this. The price you mentioned is probably for the Japanese import. It's on Amazon.de for 120 Euros.

https://www.amazon.de/More-Blood-Tracks ... ore+tracks

Edit: that's the same price as HMV UK:
https://store.hmv.com/music/cd/more-blo ... tracks-(1)

awesome! thank you, ordered from hmv!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I love Dylan but its gonna be the 1CD version for me. The notebook included sounds awesome (if likely just a way to bump up the price point) but I can’t see myself regularly listening to endless takes of the same songs.
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am I love Dylan but its gonna be the 1CD version for me. The notebook included sounds awesome (if likely just a way to bump up the price point) but I can’t see myself regularly listening to endless takes of the same songs.
it was the notebooks which did it for me
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

space wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:35 am
angelsighs wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:28 am I love Dylan but its gonna be the 1CD version for me. The notebook included sounds awesome (if likely just a way to bump up the price point) but I can’t see myself regularly listening to endless takes of the same songs.
fair enough, like I say that's blatantly a way to justify the price point more (otherwise that price for 6CDs is rather steep) but cool item regardless
space
Known user

Post by space »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
space wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:35 am
fair enough, like I say that's blatantly a way to justify the price point more (otherwise that price for 6CDs is rather steep) but cool item regardless
i agree, but it worked on me! though being it shown at amazon prices and then the hmv price was also big in the decision making.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

so the Rolling Thunder documentary drops tomorrow, anyone else rather excited?

initially I was sceptical of the accompanying CD boxset, thinking it might overkill. but I am more tempted now as the price is pretty reasonable (much better than previous Dylan boxes on a sheer £ per CD basis) and I really do love this period of his career.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:33 pm so the Rolling Thunder documentary drops tomorrow, anyone else rather excited?

initially I was sceptical of the accompanying CD boxset, thinking it might overkill. but I am more tempted now as the price is pretty reasonable (much better than previous Dylan boxes on a sheer £ per CD basis) and I really do love this period of his career.
Um, yeah me! Saw a trailer at the weekend and it looks good, bought the Bootleg Series Vol.5 even though I didn`t think it was entirely my fav Dylan era and it was fantastic although I think the latest accompanying boxset might be a step too far for me, I`m on call all this weekend so wont watch it till I can sit down proper an relax an watch it with something quality to drink, busy few weeks coming up.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

watched the whole thing in one go, I thought it was a great documentary with some fantastic footage in there. however it wasn't really any more than that- not really a great film in itself and didn't really have a narrative thread to it (can't see casual or non Dylan fans enjoying it)

still, one of my fave periods of Dylan and so good to see the live and rehearsal footage in such great quality
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

New Dylan tune released a few days back , Murder Most Foul, 17 min elegiac, eulogy to Kennedy, the 60`s and the 70`s I think, bewildering number of cultural touchstones name checked. Majestic and pretty moving
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

"Murder Most Foul" is the best thing he's done in ages! Definitely needs a 12" release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Murder Most Foul is great, wonder when he recorded it. from the arrangement and his singing voice (almost the 'Sinatra voice') it sounds like it was in the past few years.
the musical arrangement is great, lots of space, and the number of lyrical references is overwhelming. if I was being churlish i'd say it needs a bit more of a chorus but know that's kind of not the point.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Not 100% but I`m guessing its from the Tempest Sessions , and it just didn`t fit, can you imagine an album with Tempest on one side and Murder Most Foul on the other!! That would have been pretty f#cking rad!!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Rough And Rowdy Ways, new album on 17th June, first in 8 yrs, Murder Most Foul is still quite a track, double album so I guess its taking up a side and something to look forward to, heard one other track, False Prophet, sounds good but not 17 mins long!! By the laws of nature this must be potentially his last, not sure what to expect but if its only halfway between Modern World and Tempest I`ll be happy
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yup I'm not expecting it to be amazing, as long as it's solid with some good playing from the band I'll be happy.
I think I Contain Multitudes is my favourite of the new songs.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I’ll bite.

It’s all over “the news” - whatever that means to you.
I don’t watch TV but it’s certainty all over most social media.

Bob - Badlad in ‘65, or maybe just misunderstood?

Or maybe it’s not as bad as the many examples of musicians getting up to paedo-geddon in the 60/70s - or just whatever else the rock and roll bands got up to wiped on various strong drugs did back in the day…?

This is all speculative of course.
O P 8
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

angelsighs wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:38 pm Yup I'm not expecting it to be amazing, as long as it's solid with some good playing from the band I'll be happy.
I think I Contain Multitudes is my favourite of the new songs.
great album, some songs are immediate, others grow. perfect balance

dylan
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

neil_jung wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:02 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwI_OtESIE

shadow kingdom
Shadow Kingdom is right.

I think this is worth a debate - instead of this poor attempt to smother this away, Dr., sorry neil or whatever you call yourself now.

There’s a greater and more concerning thing at work here anyway - and it’s way bigger than everyone’s favourite “song and dance man”

Dana Gillespie might agree. Who knows.

You can still separate the art from the artist. I love Zed Zeppelin.
O P 8
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:10 am
neil_jung wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:02 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxwI_OtESIE

shadow kingdom
Shadow Kingdom is right.

I think this is worth a debate - instead of this poor attempt to smother this away,

if he is guilty then i hope he is found guilty. if he is innocent, then i hope he is found innocent. neither you nor i or anyone here knows the truth. this is a music forum. if underage sexual allegations titillate you then may i suggest you find another place for your gossip...

personally, i think the issue is far too serious for uniformed bored gossips to speculate on...

however, he has released new music, is that not what a music forum is for?

dylan
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Today I listened to “Love and Theft” probably for the first time properly ever, loud as hell, driving down and back the coast roads of north east Scotland seeing patients. Sounded great. The slower songs weren’t for me but the fast paced tunes were perfect for the beautiful weather and landscape.
O P 8
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

neil_jung wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:24 am

if he is guilty then i hope he is found guilty. if he is innocent, then i hope he is found innocent. neither you nor i or anyone here knows the truth. this is a music forum. if underage sexual allegations titillate you then may i suggest you find another place for your gossip...

personally, i think the issue is far too serious for uniformed bored gossips to speculate on...

however, he has released new music, is that not what a music forum is for?
“I DON’T BELIEVE YOU!”

Firstly, no. I thought it was strange that this hadn’t been brought up before I did, given that every news source I saw the other day reported this. If any of the other musicians you and I chat about here had similar allegations levelled at them you’ll be damn sure it would get a mention.

Dylan is obviously sacrosanct to you, which is fine. But no need for the personal attacks.

Titillation? Nice. And that’s from someone who posts about whatever faded rock star has anti-vax opinions or asks personal questions regarding J. Spaceman’s children?

Also - there’s this thing called upper case. You are free to use it anytime. But don’t think your nonsense won’t be called out anytime either: this board has always been bigger than just music and for you to suggest otherwise is just bullshit.

———

Your nonsensical comments when the video of ‘Hey Jane’ first appeared was one of many stumbling blocks I had to apologise and explain properly to J and his management to keep this forum going. Just sayin’ like.
O P 8
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

anyone looking forward to the next bootleg series based on Time Out Of Mind? I am very tempted seeing as I think the album is a masterpiece, but it's pretty overpriced. also heard rumours that some of the live disc will be audience bootleg recordings.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I think £100 for the 4 records highlights box is reasonable - well compared to other items around - but no I won’t be buying it myself, the double cd maybe in a sale 18 months from now will probably suffice
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

niamhm wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:41 pm I think £100 for the 4 records highlights box is reasonable - well compared to other items around - but no I won’t be buying it myself, the double cd maybe in a sale 18 months from now will probably suffice
Yeah actually it's interesting, the vinyl set is actually fairly priced but the CD set isn't . 120 quid for 5 cds. And i usually for that format for archival stuff like this. And i kinda want the whole shebang in this case. Might just have to bite the bullet
Even the remix sounds interesting- sounds like an attempt to strip away the layers of Lanois production
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

I can't stretch to the CD boxset but the few songs I've heard - different versions of Lovesick and Not Dark Yet - sound great so I might check out the cheaper 2CD version...
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

I can't stretch to the CD boxset but the few songs I've heard - different versions of Lovesick and Not Dark Yet - sound great so I might check out the cheaper 2CD version...
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

MrBadger wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:35 pm I can't stretch to the CD boxset but the few songs I've heard - different versions of Lovesick and Not Dark Yet - sound great so I might check out the cheaper 2CD version...
Agree, the outtakes released beforehand sounded noticeably different and bode very well. I am still torn a to whether to go all in on the big box, or just highlights.
The fact the vinyl box isnt that much more than the 5CD might just mean i should go for the whole hog
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

At the risk of sounding like an utter cheapskate...the 2xCD version is £25 consisting of a remastered version of the album (already have the original so I'm not really interested in that) plus disc 2 which is 12 alternative versions/tracks that didn't make the original release. So from my perspective £25 for 12 tracks...which feels like quite a lot.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Wait, so the first disc of the 2CD is just a remaster? Not even the full remix as in the box? That seems a bit slack of them. I may have even been tempted otherwise
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

Sorry that's my typo...disc 1 IS a remix...
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

The 5 CD version is down to 27 dollars on amazon US. Probably an error but i think they usually honour these kinds of things. Even with shipping its a steal so i jumped on it.
jhudson
New user

Post by jhudson »

Albums
1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Bringing it All Back Home
3. Highway 61 Revisted
4. Blood on the Tracks
5. Another Side of Bob Dylan
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

jhudson wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:33 am Albums
1. Blonde on Blonde
2. Bringing it All Back Home
3. Highway 61 Revisted
4. Blood on the Tracks
5. Another Side of Bob Dylan
Great to see someone else rating Another Side. Possibly my favourite of the acoustic albums, as it's somewhere in between the more earnest early stuff and the more surreal and arty stuff to come