corona-era check in corner

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

ro
Known user

corona-era check in corner

Post by ro »

:idea:

taking a cue from the last few posts on the “this message board... “ thread.

how are you?

are you and yours keeping safe and well?

what are you doing differently?

are you able to make ends meet?

and: more power to you, all the health care workers and everyone out there in essential services work.

x
sunray
Known user

Re: corona-era check in corner

Post by sunray »

But if you could just see the beauty...

Grand here. Taking the necessary precautions but not fussed at all, maybe i'm just thick :lol:

I sent a text to a mate a few days ago which read "Gigs cancelled. Holiday cancelled. Liverpool's 1st league in 30 years probably cancelled. Yet i STILL HAVE TO GO TO FUCKING WORK!!!" Sums up my mood really.

Have some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ViMA_qDKTU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbdWqgItko
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

how are you? Bored. Scared.

are you and yours keeping safe and well? Yes. So far. Like others I am high risk having just gotten over pneumonia in November/December.

what are you doing differently? Not leaving my house except for a half hour walk every day.

are you able to make ends meet? So far. Depends on how long this lasts. President Pinocchio isn't helping.

How are you holding up Ro?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 pm But if you could just see the beauty...
.....these things I could never describe.

All good here in Liverpool. I'm recovering from a bit of surgery and some other tedious health-related stuff so have been told to self isolate for 12 weeks in the first case. This means I'll have been housebound from January to mid-June by the looks of things :roll: . On the other hand, it also has allowed me the chance to read a lot more than I usually would and to listen to a tremendous amount of music.

Hope everyone manages to stay safe and healthy through this shit storm.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

We're the last company left in our office building. Odd for 4 people rattling about when normally over 100 are there. Leeds is surreal as it's so quiet. Not much traffic, everything moving slowly...

I know people who've lost jobs, mainly in the hospitality industry which is on it's knees. My step daughter lost hers too as she worked at a creche type place which shut down, albeit temporarily. Despite what Johnson says about support for mortgage payers it's actually very hard to claim.

Spirits are good despite all this. Hope you all are doing OK out there...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

ro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:43 pm :idea:

taking a cue from the last few posts on the “this message board... “ thread.
how are you?
Demented, sad and more than a little pissed off. Sad as I was meant to be going to Portugal in 5 weeks with my wife for our first ever kid-free holiday. Been looking forward to it for months and am utterly gutted we won't get away. Demented with the mass hysteria created by the media over all this and with the behaviour of people as a result. You think you've seen the lowest of the low and then some cunt comes along and proves you otherwise. Its all actually dragging me down... :(

Wife is a front line worker for the NHS. She is worried, like many of her colleagues about their exposure to all this and the reports of limited resources available to keep the workers safe. She is trying to stay positive but is also starting to feel a little overwhelmed with everything that's going on. Arsehole patients not helping matters sometimes. Having to keep an eye on her.

Following all guidelines but still at work for now. The ambiguity around everything is not helping and that fuck nut Boris is certainly not helping. His approach to this has been nothing short of shambolic and he has the look of a man who is out of his depth and panicking.

As long as we are getting paid, we hope so. We don't have thousands of pounds in savings so we have to continue to work to earn to keep us going. My employer is pretty good but many of our customers are small to medium businesses that will feel any prolonged shutdown hard... and that could have a knock on effect.

and: more power to you, all the health care workers and everyone out there in essential services work.
Yes. I often think "Operation Human Shield" would be a better description for some of these front line workers as they are thrown in front of anything that comes along. Their resilience and continuing hard work is commendable. They're the real MVPs along with all the supermarket workers, who are facing almost apocalyptic conditions because of greedy arseholes... thank fuck i'm not working in that environment. Blood would be spilt!

Stay safe everyone x

p.s. A lot of bands have been giving away their music over the last few days as we prepare to bunker down for a (potentially) long period of time. Very generous of them, however, Bandcamp have waived their usual 15% cut on all purchased music TODAY, so if you are able to buy some stuff today, the bands will get the full monies for it.

p.p.s. There are also a number of bands streaming "gigs" from their practice space, homes, etc. via Facebook with more being announced all the time. Great idea and one that hopefully keeps all our spirits up too!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, my UK/Denmark vacation took a weird turn, that's for sure. I was able to finally meet my friend, Chris, who used to post here as "u_nderscore," in person for the first time, which was cool. Things got really weird on March 11th. My girlfriend and I had tickets to see Big Thief and when we got to the venue they told us the show was canceled due to the fact that the Danish Prime Minister instituted a ban on gatherings of people over 100. The next day was good, as record stores, bars, etc. were all still open, but on the 13th the only places open were hotel bars/restaurants. So, we weren't able to attend any of the museums we had planned on visiting. We wound up driving up north to Kokkedal castle and then Kronberg castle. There was much less hysteria up north, although we did have one dinner at a local place where the owners seemed pretty nervous about having us there.

We managed to make it back on our scheduled flight from Copenhagen to Chicago on Monday the 16th. It was only 10% to 15% full, so we're lucky it didn't get canceled. Also, we arrived the day after O'Hare was suffering horrible lines and breezed through the health checkpoint and were able to quickly get into a cab and make it home.

Now that we're back, we are both on mandatory 14 day self-quarantine due to the countries we visited, which is difficult because it means I can't see my kids for another ten days. In the meantime, my ex-wife's father passed away and I feel terrible because I can't help her with the kids, who are off school until April 21.

I am working from home, so I don't feel like my job is at risk, but I feel awful for everyone who works in the service industry. My local record store is offering free delivery, so I ordered $250 worth of new LPs yesterday to help support him and to give me new listening material, as the vinyl has been spinning non stop while I'm stuck at home.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Over here in California, the governor just instituted a mandatory "stay at home" for all residents. I work for a local government near San Diego so I'm still not working from home, which seems a bit strange to me. "Business as usual" they say. I'm in IT and we're doing a little bit of emergency response stuff, but I'm really not comfortable being in the offices right now. I mean, I'm still getting paid, which is lucky.

People over here are losing their damn minds. My girlfriend's company (trade show exhibits) and their counterparts are all going out of business. Hard times ahead for several years. Things will definitely be a lot different for a very long time.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

how are you?

Up and down to be honest. The guidelines have all been a bit ambiguous in the UK up to now. Loads of people still going to pubs and the supermarkets are rammed with people so don't know how on earth they are slowing down the spread of the virus. Boris finally shut down the pubs, clubs, theatres and leisure centres last night and with schools closing yesterday (apart from the children of 'key workers') I think the message that this is fucking serious will start to get through (surely?).

As much as we can. I work with my Uncle and cousin doing small building works and fortunately at the moment we are renovating an old country cottage in the middle of nowhere so human contact is minimal. Went to the builders merchants the other day though and its a totally different story....loads of tradespeople stocking up on materials before there is a shortage and lots of bravado... "we're British so its not going to stop us!", "I watched the announcement about not going to the pub from the pub and had another 3 pints in there to ease the pain!" etc. Fucking numbskulls! My seven year old boy finished school yesterday and I think he's aware that something is going on but young enough to not seem too bothered about it at the moment (though my Dad is his 'best friend' so not seeing him and the other grandparents is certainly going to be difficult).

Obviously not going out and going to gigs, see films, meet in pubs/restaurants is the biggest change. And generally trying to avoid social contact as much as possible. There's no lock-down here in the UK unlike Italy and Spain and other parts of the World so there is still a bit of freedom. Had a 'virtual lads night out' last night over on Google Meet. Certainly not the same as a pub but it was nice to catch up and have a laugh in these strange and testing times. Going to drop some supplies off at my parents later on but just leaving in the porch and waving to them through the window.

Its certainly going to be difficult. I am a self-employed builder so really playing it day-to-day. If I don't go to work then I don't get paid. I run a record label in my spare time (Drone Rock Records) and I am also concerned about demand for that and whether shipments of records will be effected. My wife runs her own eco-cleaning company so she has been really stressed about it all. A lot of her customers are starting to feel uneasy about having people in their houses and my wife still has to pay her staff regardless of whether they work or not (she set up the company as ethically as possible and didn't want to go down the root of having them on zero-hours contracts or be self-employed). A lot of customers are still offering to pay regardless of whether the cleans happen or not which is fantastic and the Tory Government finally did the decent thing last night and offered to cover most of the wages of those who have been forced out of work through the virus. Just got to see how many hoops they will make her jump through now to access it.

Anyway, regardless of all that, we 3 are all well and preparing to hunker down at some point which seems inevitable. I've got a massive stack of vinyl waiting to be listened to and 4 releases due to arrive from the pressing plant over the next couple of months which will keep me busy. I hope everyone on this board gets through this unscathed and that you all look after your mental wellbeing as well as your physical health.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

A long, long time since I last posted, so hi All. Thanks for giving me an outlet to post in. Been meaning to post many times but kept struggling with log-in. Could never quite sort it out. Log-ons mainly. WTF was that password?!

how are you? Ok, thanks for asking, Reality has dawned over the last week to how serious and how nasty Corona-time is going to be. A lot of energy at the moment is taken up by trying to think ahead to how we cope with the home, Kids and work. It's draining, isn't it?

are you and yours keeping safe and well? Yes, Me, Wife and Kids (Twin teens and one 7yr old. All awesome) are all fine. Older parents are the issue. It's how to keep contact as well as protect them.

what are you doing differently? Working from home from Tuesday. That suits me. It's part pf how I work anyway so I'm used to it. Not with Kids around though. Having to cope with having Kids around while working won't be easy. Work has to give, right? Wife is a Teacher whose school is designated to stay open. She actually covers two schools. She's tense, no doubt about it. We've spoken about no knee-jerks or over-dramatizing but keeping a sense of care for you as well as others.

are you able to make ends meet? Yes. We're lucky in that regard. Both pretty safe. For now.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Hello all,

Well my wife is classed as vulnerable so she has been told to self isolate for a 12 weeks & WFH which means I am now WFH for 12 weeks. So far so good I guess seem to be getting into a routine. I have never WFH before but needs must as they say!

Not gonna lie have neglected this board somewhat in recent times with the odd post here and there but it's good to know you can come here and chat and get things off chest/talk about whatever. Going to have plenty of opportunity to listen to music, read and catch up on viewing. A few of us on this board all synced up yesterday and played Recurring at some point in the day/night wonderful record and a nice feeling knowing your friends were listening too.

No doubt I will be revisiting this board a lot more over the coming weeks/months so look forward to reading all your messages and staying in touch.

Stay safe everybody.
'Remember, change is not good'
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

After a really scary announcement to the nation from the Prime Minister in the UK, just wanted to say I hope everyone here is OK. Please stay safe, look after yourselves, your families and each other. Stay safe. Peace and love
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

First suspected casualty in our home. Wife is coming down with feverish symptoms and is not feeling great. Frontline NHS worker, dealing with public and with no PPE available... was inevitable. Cue lockdown and isolation.

If any one passing can drop in some beer, snax and some Rizla, that would be nice...
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

James:
I hope all goes well.
Thinking of you guys.
Unfortunately I am a little too far to help you Re: beer and snax. :?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Take care Laz - hope you're both OK - sending love - not the same as the provisions, but still genuine.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thanks all. We'll be fine. I'm working from home so keeping myself semi-busy whilst keeping an eye on the missus. Long days ahead...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Good luck to you and your missus James. I hope it's not a bad case - maybe even just something else with any luck. I have nothing but glowing admiration for anyone in the NHS at any level, but particularly front line. I know there are a few on this board involved. Hats off to them all.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

runcible wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:51 pm Good luck to you and your missus James. I hope it's not a bad case - maybe even just something else with any luck. I have nothing but glowing admiration for anyone in the NHS at any level, but particularly front line. I know there are a few on this board involved. Hats off to them all.
Ditto to the above. To everyone on this board. Take care, stay safe .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Whilst self quarantined I decided to sort through bags and bags of photos yesterday.
I can't believe the things I found.
A fantastic photo of Julian Cope and I from 1991.
About 20 photos of Simple Minds in Detroit in 1983.
Oodles and oodles of photos from my record shop with instores and employee shenanigans. Also lots of photos of the walls with all the vinyl we used to sell. Posters too.
Been carpet bombing Facebook with these today while listening to Eno cd's.
Keeping me sane while brightening others day at the same time.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

spzretent wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm Whilst self quarantined I decided to sort through bags and bags of photos yesterday.
I can't believe the things I found.
A fantastic photo of Julian Cope and I from 1991.
About 20 photos of Simple Minds in Detroit in 1983.
Oodles and oodles of photos from my record shop with instores and employee shenanigans. Also lots of photos of the walls with all the vinyl we used to sell. Posters too.
Been carpet bombing Facebook with these today while listening to Eno cd's.
Keeping me sane while brightening others day at the same time.
Those pictures have been great to see on FB. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

The reaction warms my heart to be honest.
It's knowing you made a difference in people's lives at some point. Even if it was 25 years ago.
Not to mention how fun it was and the lifelong friends I have made because of it.
Some on this message board.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I stuck a load of piccies on the Sp3 Facebook page over the last day or so, something I've been meaning to do for ages as I spent a while getting lots of Sp3 artwork and related posters framed and hung up. My stairwell is covered in all that stuff but not many people get to see it. It's been nice seeing positive reactions from many fans and even at least 1 ex-band member. Always nice to share cool stuff like this, and if ever there was a time to make people smile it's now.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I understand some of you might need a translator but this is classic: https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/statu ... 3630191618

I particularly like the football bit :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

runcible wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 pm I stuck a load of piccies on the Sp3 Facebook page over the last day or so, something I've been meaning to do for ages as I spent a while getting lots of Sp3 artwork and related posters framed and hung up. My stairwell is covered in all that stuff but not many people get to see it. It's been nice seeing positive reactions from many fans and even at least 1 ex-band member. Always nice to share cool stuff like this, and if ever there was a time to make people smile it's now.
Those pics have been wonderful to see :D Thanks
friendly fire
New user

Post by friendly fire »

It's really weird where I live as the whole place is really quiet. Mind you everyone was out on the streets last night banging pans and whistling, shouting etc for the NHS. Moments like that relieve the surreal atmosphere and bring a bit of life back to the place. We all need a tonic right now!

Hope everyone is Ok anyway.
slide_song
Known user

Post by slide_song »

Laz69 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:44 pm First suspected casualty in our home. Wife is coming down with feverish symptoms and is not feeling great. Frontline NHS worker, dealing with public and with no PPE available... was inevitable. Cue lockdown and isolation.

If any one passing can drop in some beer, snax and some Rizla, that would be nice...
how is your wife doing? so scary.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Thanks for asking. I had to take her to a community assessment centre at the start of the week after she got rather bad. Access VERY strictly controlled and appeared to be set up to deal with drive-though testing or to be done sort of local centre for it all. All looked rather unassuming. They didn't have any test kits (?) but carried out an assessment to see what's what. They said it's more than likely she it as she shows all the symptoms (she also lost her sense of taste and smell last weekend, but that slowly returned). They told her to simply keep resting and to stick to paracetamol if she got feverish but that hasn't happened thankfully. Starting to be over the worst of it but she is still very limited energy-wise. She made some dinner the other night and then promptly fell asleep for two hours, just with exhaustion. Seems the getting yourself back to normal levels takes a good few days. My son and I still have had no symptoms and I can work from home so I'm able to keep an eye on her too.

Saw a body getting removed from a nearby house earlier. Not sure of details obviously but wouldn't surprise me if that's another victim. It's all very real.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

gosh, laz that is terrifying.
so relieved to hear she’s doing better.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Keep us posted James.
Glad she has turned the corner.
This sounds very similar to pneumonia which I had in November.
My body is still getting over it. It wiped me out for a good month or more.
However if this virus actually shuts down your lungs that is a whole other story.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

spzretent wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:54 pm Keep us posted James.
Glad she has turned the corner.
This sounds very similar to pneumonia which I had in November.
My body is still getting over it. It wiped me out for a good month or more.
However if this virus actually shuts down your lungs that is a whole other story.
I'm still feeling guilty about how much I teased you when your voice went. You were really rough by the time I dropped you in Salford.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well, I had no other option but to trudge on.
I feel sorry for those who put me up like you and my friends in Salford. I was OK in Leeds.
Glad I didn't get anyone sick.
Still a great trip over.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

it's all pretty scary and surreal isn't it?
I'm trying to avoid the news generally and just get the main messages as it's not good for my headspace, but you can't avoid it. it's tragic how many lives this is touching then there's the impact on the economy. even when it's nominally over we will be feeling ripples of impact.

I am fairly lucky in that I can basically totally work from home (never been on so many video calls in my life!) which is very isolating but at least I am safe. I am a bit of a homebody anyway so the not going out isn't too much of an adjustment.. but there's a huge psychological difference knowing you CAN'T go out. plus having no gigs to look forward to is strange.

and of course I worry about the wider world and my loved ones. I was worried about my dad as he is in his late 70s now. my mum works in retail (opticians) getting exposed to a lot of people and could easily have brought it home. however they have laid her off with full pay for now- massive relief for me.
also my brother runs a pub so it remains to be seen how the business will be affected.

as others have alluded to I just hope that some good will come out of this.. maybe people will be nicer to each other and build better connections. maybe people with value the NHS properly too.

wishing the best for everyone hear especially people like Laz who have been affected directly.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

i’m only now answering my own questions bc not much changed for me with lockdown. i’m home 98% of the time due to my medical condition. so i’m used to the isolation.

but i’m beginning to wear with the dread and sorrow and gravity of it all. and i worry about my friend the icu nurse who’s treating covid patients while only allowed one mask per 12 hour shift. and my dear friend who works in a nursing home. and everyone i know in essential services. and my elderly mom. and the list goes on.

so, just trying to go from moment to moment. whatever happens will happen whether i worry or not. still, it’s all rather stunning.

glad you guys are here.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

... and just learned one of my oldest and dearest friends is now sick. seemingly mild so far. but hitting way too close to home. i don’t like it. not one tiny little bit
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is really starting to take it's toll on clients and people I know.
Some of you know I have a business where we move seniors from their homes to senior living communities, assisted living etc. Obviously we are on complete shut down now. All the facilities we move clients to are on lockdown. Their relatives cant even get in to see them.
Yesterday an obituary came though my Facebook feed. It was a man who was 91 years old. We moved him a few years ago. He was one of my favorite clients we have ever moved. He worked for years in the Detroit Mayor's office. He also taught at a local university. He was Chancellor of the university on three separate occasions.
What I didn't know was the impact he made on some of my old friends and record shop customers as a political science professor. He was truly beloved by his students who are now all in their 50's and 60's.
When we were moving him I noticed a sizeable record collection. We started to talk about music and he told me to go ahead and take any records I want. I took about 15 records. Some cool 60's jazz, some political folk- he was uber liberal, also some sealed original Motown lp's. I sold a bunch and kept a few. I am so glad I did.
I got an email from a friend last night asking if I had any of his LPs left. He asked me to pick a few and send them to his friend who posted the obituary. He asked me to send him the cost and he would take care of it. I told him this is on me. I am happy to ship these LPs to someone who loved this man so much. I told him it is a karma thing. These were meant to be with this friend of ours.
This man also took me downstairs in his house and told me he wanted me to have these custom made wood record cabinets his father had made in Brooklyn in the 1930's. Those cabinets now house my Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Sonic Boom & Spectrum collection. The other has my Rolling Stones collection.
Anyway, I know I went on and on. Seems I have way too much time on my hands these days.
Stay safe.
:shock:
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Bored now. I have tried gardening, but I really hate it. I spent two days tidying out the loft and bringing my CDs downstairs just for something to do. I am still recovering from an operation in February which has really slowed me down. I did get an Ikea delivery of some more Kallax so I built that and rearranged my records. As I do everything really slowly these days this took ages:

I had to move every fucking record in the room. I was shattered after this.

As for the other questions, my family are all safe and well. My job does not really require me to be in the office and so I am working from home. There does not seem to be any issue with my job security at present, although the longer the lockdown lasts the more tenuous things will be for all of us.

Hope everyone is well and James @Laz69 I hope your better half is recovered now.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Olan:
You rearranged that entire music room it looks like. I am tired just thinking about it.
Glad you are all well.
James- any updates on your wife?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Yeah, all (nearly) back to as normal as can be under the circumstances.

Wife was back at work two weeks ago but her boss could tell she still wasn't 100%, so she told her to just work half days. She had a full week last week and, although she was quiet, she still felt drainedcst he end of the day. She just needs to take things at a sensible pace and I'm sure she'll slowly get back on track.

On a positive note, being at home and running the household has me baking and cooking more, which has been fun. I'll come out of this 40st, but I can rustle up s cracking iced sponge cake!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Good to hear James.
As far as I know I didn't have coronavirus but I had pneumonia in November and that was a bitch to get over. In fact I still don't think I am 100% back. Not to mention the tricks your brain plays on you thinking you have indeed contracted the virus because you are now in the high risk category.
Anyway, I decided to do something nice for the folks on the Spacemen 3 Facebook page. I posted a photo of an old VHS tape I had with loads of Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized clips. Someone on the page really wanted it and wanted to trade or pay for it. I just decided to give it to him for nothing if he agreed to upload it so anyone on the FB page who wants it can have it. Nothing in return. Turns out he is a pretty nice guy who is making handmade masks for health care workers and first responders. He is sending me 3 masks which is cool.
I just figure if I can help people enjoy a few hours of footage in these weird times, why not?
Stay safe folks.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 pm Yeah, all (nearly) back to as normal as can be under the circumstances.

Wife was back at work two weeks ago but her boss could tell she still wasn't 100%, so she told her to just work half days. She had a full week last week and, although she was quiet, she still felt drainedcst he end of the day. She just needs to take things at a sensible pace and I'm sure she'll slowly get back on track.

On a positive note, being at home and running the household has me baking and cooking more, which has been fun. I'll come out of this 40st, but I can rustle up s cracking iced sponge cake!
That is great news James (apart from the tonnage bit obviously).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I've been working from home for over a month now. I quite like it but we're so busy the main difference I notice is the fact I'm playing music all the time. I guess I'm lucky that my job - wine industry mail order - is going nuts when so many have no job at all.

The one great thing which took place under this cloud is... I have a cousin with terminal cancer - her lungs are full of tumours - and I heard she'd caught CV19 despite not leaving her room at the hospice she is in for weeks. That was it as far as I was concerned - she's fought cancer for years and this revolting virus was going to finish her off. Except she's miraculously beaten it and been given the all clear. Incredible. She is still extremely ill and won't recover but she showed CV19 the door. Kind of inspirational. Stuff like that keeps positive thoughts in my mind.

Very pleased to hear about Mrs. Laz69 too. Another little bit of good news - they all count!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

runcible wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm
The one great thing which took place under this cloud is... I have a cousin with terminal cancer - her lungs are full of tumours - and I heard she'd caught CV19 despite not leaving her room at the hospice she is in for weeks. That was it as far as I was concerned - she's fought cancer for years and this revolting virus was going to finish her off. Except she's miraculously beaten it and been given the all clear. Incredible. She is still extremely ill and won't recover but she showed CV19 the door. Kind of inspirational. Stuff like that keeps positive thoughts in my mind.
Great news, pleased to hear this.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Outside of some clients I was amazed at how sort of unscathed I was by this virus. Especially since I live right next to the most infected zip code in the entire state of Michigan. It's so bad around here that I refuse to grocery shop anywhere around here. Most of those that live in that zip code shop in my area due to having no access to markets or grocery stores. For the past 4 weeks I have been driving 25 miles out to stock up.

In the past 48 hours two people I know have passed away from the coronavirus. One in her 40's and the other my cousin's father who was nearly 99 who was pretty healthy. Both people were infected by a care giver. One was in rehab for physical therapy while recovering from a stroke, the woman in her 40's and the other in an assisted living home.

I got a call yesterday letting me know about my cousin's father. At that point he was in hospice. I called his son immediately. The conversation was so unnatural in this situation. He had already been in contact with the funeral home. We told stories and laughed a bit. His son lives in Florida. He cant even come in for his own fathers funeral. Even funerals are limited to immediate family only and no more than 10 people. No proper send off. It is so hard to take all this in.

Up until now I was dealing with the sheltering in place ok. Today is rough already. Probably a good thing three of my last four nights have been sober. Pretty sure tonight wont be.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

spzretent wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:12 pm
In the past 48 hours two people I know have passed away from the coronavirus.
oh, no, i’m so sorry, alan.
it certainly has a way of coming way too close.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There are people dealing with more loss than me but today it hit home pretty hard. Two people I knew in 36 hours.
I had a tough conversation with my cousin yesterday. He and his siblings are finding it very hard to not only not send their father off properly but two of them can't make it in at all.
We are Jewish which means no shiva which is so important when a death occurs. I was at a loss for words. I can't imagine the frustration and pain.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm There are people dealing with more loss than me but today it hit home pretty hard. Two people I knew in 36 hours.
I had a tough conversation with my cousin yesterday. He and his siblings are finding it very hard to not only not send their father off properly but two of them can't make it in at all.
We are Jewish which means no shiva which is so important when a death occurs. I was at a loss for words. I can't imagine the frustration and pain.
Keeping you and your family in our warm thoughts Alan, that is terrible news.
I think I feel it coming on
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks Steve.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sadly as this horrorshow goes on we're all going to know people who've not only had it but others who didn't survive.

I'm sort of torn between wanting to know what's happening out there and resisting the news which is either depressing (general state of play) or worryingly farcical (Trump's idiotic disinfectant comments - actually almost any of Trump's comments). I'm seeing social media posts getting pissed off with negative coverage of the UK government, but no peace time administration has ever been given the power the government has, and it's widely known they've not approached the situation well, and that has to mean they are taken to task and rightly so.

I'm actually working harder at my job than I ever have. Our mail order is still going crazy. Alcohol sales are up 30% in the UK and I'm in the middle of all that, so I'm fortunate in many ways although the feeling of being swamped shows no sign of relenting. We don't just sell wine, we interact with a lot of customers and that leads to hearing sad tales of their own friends and families who are victims of CV19. I had one poor guy yesterday afternoon who'd lost a close friend & obviously any sort of exchange was positive for him and he chatted to me for quite a bit.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

toomilk wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:54 pm Over here in California, the governor just instituted a mandatory "stay at home" for all residents. I work for a local government near San Diego so I'm still not working from home, which seems a bit strange to me. "Business as usual" they say. I'm in IT and we're doing a little bit of emergency response stuff, but I'm really not comfortable being in the offices right now. I mean, I'm still getting paid, which is lucky.

People over here are losing their damn minds. My girlfriend's company (trade show exhibits) and their counterparts are all going out of business. Hard times ahead for several years. Things will definitely be a lot different for a very long time.
Hi there! Very similar situation in LA. My girlfriend is out of work and I’m working from home for Kaiser doing IT stuff. Hopefully catch up with you whenever spiritualized comes back.