Article on the recording of Come Together

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Feedback Forever
Known user

Article on the recording of Come Together

Post by Feedback Forever »

Sorry if this has been posted before. I would imagine this to be of interest to some of you: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... e-together
beaker73
Known user

Re: Article on the recording of Come Together

Post by beaker73 »

Thanks for posting! very interesting indeed.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Thanks for that, really interesting.

One thing struck me though -

"With that album [Lazer Guided Melodies], it was very much telling people, ‘This is the drum pattern, this is the drum sound, this is how you play it.’ Now, especially with the people we’re working with, it’s more about people contributing in a kind of jazz way by getting the feel for it and understanding the rules of what we can do with the music, so it doesn’t go into any areas we really don’t want to go into. That really applied to everybody playing on the album. They all had a feel for it. It wasn’t like they were just brought in as regular session people."

Do you think this is really true? My impression has always been that LGM era line up was the most organic and collective band-like version of spz
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah I'd question that, but obviously I wasn't there so I don't know.
Really intetesting article. It actually gives an insight into the recording of a lot of Ladies and gentlemen, not just Come Together.
It's interesting how a lot of it was actually captured in live takes. Although it's a warm sounding album, it's not particularly live sounding.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Yeah, it would be cool to hear those live takes from that big room. Another thing I found interesting is how involved Darren Allison was (allegedly) in the shaping of the record. I've always felt l&g was J's singular vision.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Another thing: What was Dickinson's input on the record? I vaguely remember reading somewhere ages ago that all he did was run everything through some fuzzes? Anyone able to chime in here? According to the article it seems not a lot was done in Memphis.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I remember hearing/reading ages ago that the video for Come Together was given its final edit after Jason and the Lupine Howl guys had their fallout.
If you watch it now, you notice it's all Jason and Kate, apart from like one blink-and-you-miss-it frame when you see the rhythm section at the back of the crowd.