L&G - Vinyl Me, Please - artist-approved LP reissue

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

L&G - Vinyl Me, Please - artist-approved LP reissue

Post by TheWarmth »

Cut from the original masters by Barry Grint at Alchemy Mastering.

http://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/magaz ... itualized/
davedecay
Known user

Re: L&G - Vinyl Me, Please - artist-approved LP reissue

Post by davedecay »

Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Please don't suck
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Guess this kills the Intervention option stone dead - shame.

Do these have to be bought through VMP only, or do they make it out into record shops?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Has to be bought by VMP and it is part of a subscription.
If Sonic's new record sold out on VMP this will certainly sell out.
I kills the Intervention Records idea. I would love to see the first two done by them. Mastered at 33rpm too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I signed up. I must have this version. If you wait until August to sign up, seems like you'll be guaranteed a copy of L&G. However, I have one VMP LP that was gifted to me (Archie Shepp's Attica Blues) and it's great. I get the impression that the VMP pressings are quality and I like all of the detail they offer on their website about each release. You can also swap out your monthly selection for anything else available in their catalog. So, when I signed up, I swapped the John Mayer LP (good god) for the John Cale mix of the Stooges' first album.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

I do hope this isn’t Songs For The Deaf all over again, where I signed up to get that and had to stay a member for three months and the lp got a general release as well. But I do need this reissue. Fingers crossed that Barry Grint does a good job.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Signed up for a 3-month "plan." Started with the John Cale Stooges mix and swapped John Mayer for Stevie Nicks ( :oops: don't tell anyone).

Cut from the original masters. Might be the best version of this on vinyl?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Luckily I have an old record shop customer who is gifting me his VMP copy of LAGWAFIS. He also ordered me a copy of Sonic's new VMP LP. I have something rather nice to give him for all his efforts besides the money I owe him.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I put my Plain pressing on this morning and I have to admit it sounds pretty good. There is a little more surface noise than I would like, which is noticeable on the quieter tracks, but overall I don't think it's a bad pressing. Still, there's no way I'm missing out on the VMP version. I have heard that it will have the Elvis version of the title track.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

The Plain pressing is not that bad, especially compared to other Plain pressings, but it’s just the cd on vinyl. And cause the cd is mastered very well IMHO, the Plain lp sounds fine. But I am hoping for a step up with this new mastering. Fingers crossed.
And @toomilk, I also swapped the john mayer for the stevie record. No shame in that at all ;)
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Is the vmp sonic vinyl red or magenta?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Supposedly magenta. I have not opened it.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I thought I had this under control, but apparently not. I picked the Stooges record, but no mention of it on my account?!

And I can't find anything at all on Spiritualized aside from the post above. Again, no mention of it on their site. Is it still happening?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

It’s still happening, afaik. They usually announce the Record of the Month on the 27th. It will then pop up in your account.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Yeah, I emailed their support and they say that LAGWAFIS is still the September record of the month.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

And here’s a wee interview with Jason about the album:

https://magazine.vinylmeplease.com/maga ... ner-notes/

I previously signed up to Vinyl Me Please in 2016 for The Avalanches’ second album. I also bought “Donuts” by J Dilla. Then didn’t buy anything until earlier this year, when record buying has been my lockdown vice. I don’t know if I’ll stick around as a subscriber after LAGWAFIS, as I’ve bought everything else I want from their store (MF Doom, Handsome Boy Modeling School, El-P). But you can get store credit in lieu of the monthly record, and there are three “tracks” of records to switch between (Essential, Hip-Hop and Classic, which is soul or jazz-based).

If I’m being honest, LAGWAFIS feels quite out of step with the other albums they have as exclusives, so who knows whether future releases will appeal to fellow board members. However, I am so excited to finally have it on record, as I always held off buying the previous versions due to the pressing problems. Fingers crossed this sounds as good as the album deserves.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The little preview video has me really excited for this. Can't wait. Unfortunately, VMP's shipping has been quite slow recently. My August selection finally shipped out earlier this week. Also, they are drastically raising their prices and I probably won't renew, as a result.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Was VMP always so expensive?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

They just upped their prices. When I signed up earlier this year, it was $150 for six months. Now I think it's something like $220. I don't know if I will renew my subscription with such a price hike. I haven't received my copy of L&G yet, but I will report back after it arrives. So far I have received the John Cale mix of the Stooges first album and Jorge Ben's Africa Brasil. Both are very high quality and so far I haven't been disappointed. I have heard that the sleeve/art for the L&G reissue is outstanding. Looking forward to it.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

My copy arrived. It's heavy and beautiful. Can't wait to spin on headphones.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

I bought it from Ebay and can not wait to listen to it, but... it will take forever to reach me. Probably need to avoid reading this thread and sweat a little less.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

They appear to do a monthly subscription, so I have jumped on that for 52 dollars, order being processed as we speak, then hopefully i can cancel. As i understand it, my next payment is due to come out 30th September, which would be for October, so presumably i can cancel a few days before that. Pretty sure I have that right anyway :|
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got mine today. Like much of the VMP pressings, this is really high quality stuff. Haven't had a chance to put it on yet - hopefully the sound matches the visuals.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

What are the chances of waiting list orders being fulfilled?
Should I just join the VMP and cancel after a month or 2?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Mine arrived here this morning. Just listening to it now. Nice flat vinyl, powerful and clean pressing. Absolutely zero surface noise. It sounds great so far.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I also got my copy today and pretty impressed with it. Lovely packaging and nice bit of vinyl. I'm only a couple of songs in but I think it sounds a marked improvement to the Plain release. I always thought the Plain issue sounded a bit flat and my first listen to that copy was an anti-climax. I'm much happier with this. I do have surface noise though and just got to the start of All Of My Thoughts and it was quite noticeable. We'll see about the rest.

I've cancelled the subscription with VMP as I really only joined for this. Saying that, though, I plumped for The White Stripes De Stijl and stuck with the Bueno Vista Social Club and both of those are nice copies too. All-in-all, as others said, they are not cheap. I also found the website an arse to use and to browse but maybe I was impatient and too busy at the time to look through it properly. I'll join again for a decent copy of Pure Phase though.

I have a 14yr old you is getting into vinyl and I did offer her the Plain issue. We had a listen to clips but she wasn't having it. Didn't think she would. I've spent the last few hours wondering where I've went wrong :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

rapideye wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:32 pm I have a 14yr old you is getting into vinyl and I did offer her the Plain issue. We had a listen to clips but she wasn't having it. Didn't think she would. I've spent the last few hours wondering where I've went wrong :D
Sometimes you are merely planting the seed when they are young. Ive lost count how many times my kids have come back to me, often years later, and said "Have you heard this before?" or "I think this is one of your songs" after hearing it on a TV show or popping up on a playlist they've been playing. Although both have their own musical tastes, they listen to a lot of my music :)
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

This is an incredible reissue. By far the best vinyl issue of this EVER! I must admit I have never seen or heard that Art Vinyl edition.
The packaging is an A+. So much attention to detail was given to this release. From the embossed silver wave lines on front to the gatefold sleeve. Also the weight of the cover is super heavyweight.
I have never heard this record sound so good. Since Jason approved this remaster it must be how he always wanted it to sound. So full of life.
VMP had a deal in July where you could join 3 months for $60. So I did. I have already flogged the Stevie Nicks which I subbed the John Mayer for for a decent profit. I also got the Buena Vista Social Club LP and the Spiritualized LP.
I am now done. Prices have skyrocketed for the subscriptions.
If something comes up I really want I will go on the after market.
This one though is a must have.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I’ve heard this album so many times - I’m really keen to hear a remastered take - Alan’s mention above of being more “full of life” appeals to me

I suspect due to its production and mastering it was always going to best suited to a digital (CD) edition back in 1997: the original vinyl edition was probably done as a contractual thing - like the cassette version.

For those who missed out on this edition, John Coxon via Insta today suggests there will be a wider release of this edition next year...
O P 8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here is a pretty good review of this remaster/reissue.
https://geekinsider.com/vinyl-me-please ... -in-space/
good dope/good fun
Known user

Got my copy in the mail today.
I can only agree on what has already been said about it.
The entire packaging is absolutely stellar.
I gave the vinyl a complete spin all the way through.
Such a rich sound with dynamic quality.
The ending sequence of Cop Shoot Cop where it goes into the Desert Sand part has just that enormous swell of the bass which hits your soul proper.
I can’t wait to spin it again.

Well done, VMP.
Well done.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

BzaInSpace wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 pm For those who missed out on this edition, John Coxon via Insta today suggests there will be a wider release of this edition next year...
Interesting. I wonder would this be the exact same as the VMP issue (fancy artwork; gatefold, obi strip, foil stamped etc.) or just the same vinyl pressing but with standard packaging?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I'm so glad i talked myself into signing up to VMP for this (now cancelled), it's absolutely stunning.

£50 was a bit steep, but as I'm saving money not commuting to work I can justify it.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am surprised at the lack of posts about just how gorgeous this re-issue is. I am pretty certain a lot of people who post here managed to get a copy.
It is a revelation to me. It sounds fantastic and as many have mentioned I am hearing things in this pressing I have never heard before.
Much more expansive.
And the packaging is faultless.
Just trying to bump this thread.
I am curious to hear others reviews of this.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Just ordered a copy from ebay. Excited to give this a listen based on the glowing reviews here.
I think I feel it coming on
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I listened to it again last night which was the 3rd time with this and on the 1st track started picking up that the backing singers are singing the I Can't Help Falling in Love behind Jason quite early in the song...I don't think I'd ever noticed that before. Really picked up on that last night. Just sounded great. I'd always just thought that it only came in towards the end. There is just something about how, at the end, when it is only the girls singing it that makes me get emotional. I also picked up some extra intensity in other songs that shone through. If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my days it'd be this and now to have a great sounded vinyl is very satisfying.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

purespace wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 am Just ordered a copy from ebay. Excited to give this a listen based on the glowing reviews here.
Same! Can't believe I've been suckered into forking out 50 quid for a non-collectable record, but the VMP site says sold out, so it was kind of "now or never".

Only justified by the recent turntable upgrade - at last that's what I'm telling myself!
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

rapideye wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:31 pm I listened to it again last night which was the 3rd time with this and on the 1st track started picking up that the backing singers are singing the I Can't Help Falling in Love behind Jason quite early in the song...I don't think I'd ever noticed that before.
So I'm assuming that on this pressing LAGWAFIS is the "Elvis" version that was only available on the promo CD for a good while?
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Jasonsmith wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am
rapideye wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:31 pm I listened to it again last night which was the 3rd time with this and on the 1st track started picking up that the backing singers are singing the I Can't Help Falling in Love behind Jason quite early in the song...I don't think I'd ever noticed that before.
So I'm assuming that on this pressing LAGWAFIS is the "Elvis" version that was only available on the promo CD for a good while?
Yep, it's the Elvis version.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

spzretent wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm I am surprised at the lack of posts about just how gorgeous this re-issue is. I am pretty certain a lot of people who post here managed to get a copy.
It is a revelation to me. It sounds fantastic and as many have mentioned I am hearing things in this pressing I have never heard before.
Much more expansive.
The new reissue is a revelation to me, too. Hadn't listened to LAG for a while and hearing it again like this was like meeting up with an old friend and picking up where you left off. If that makes any sense.
In this mastering I can even make it through cop shot cop and actually enjoying it. The free jazz section now has layers of instrument and sounds I can listen to where it used to be only a heap of noise (at least to me, that is). Only nitpick is that Come Together is a bit lower in volume than LAG. In my memory it was always this huge wall of sound, but now it sounds rather subdued. I know there's the volumeknob to fix that, but still...
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

It's still available on the VMP site.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Pat Garrett wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 am It's still available on the VMP site.
'tis true - how funny, yesterday it was coming up sold out for individual purchase!

They must have found a few more behind the sofa...
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Gone today
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Can you quit the club after 1 month?
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

burningwheel wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm Can you quit the club after 1 month?
Yes, that's what I did.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

burningwheel wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm Can you quit the club after 1 month?
Yes, that`s what I did, I think it cost me £40, when you take off the transatlantic p&p and see the album then its a bargain I reckon.
Quality of the pressing and remaster is outstanding to my unqualified ears, LAGWAFIS the track was a particular revelation, Electricity as well unheard or unnoticed details popping out clear and bright and practically zero surface noise, glad I shelled out on this
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I had inquired about joining but declined. Then I got an email offering me 3 months for $60 so I joined. The last month was the Spiritualized Lp.
So I sold a Stevie Nicks LP for $50, I still have the Buena Vista Social Club LP sitting here unopened and the Spiritualized LP. I had to pay an additional $15 to swap for Stevie Nicks LP but in the end it was well worth it. I canceled after the Spiritualized.
You can get the LP on ebay for reasonable prices. Loads of people who must be yearly VMP subscribers have listed LAGWAFIS because they dont like it.
One of my old record shop customers got me one also which was nice. It is headed over to the UK for a forum member.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

spzretent wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm I am surprised at the lack of posts about just how gorgeous this re-issue is. I am pretty certain a lot of people who post here managed to get a copy.
Much more expansive.
Probably a combination of the remaster, the vinyl press and my new Rega P6 turntable (a big upgrade on my ancient P2), but this was like hearing a brand new album for the first time.

The subtlety of some of the sounds...Jesus. You can hear the rasp in Jason's throat on some songs, the drums at the start of Come Together actually sounded like the guy was in my room, and the bit where it comes back in after the silence on I Think I'm in Love... it actually made me jump, and I didn't even have the volume that loud!

It was an absolutely breath-taking listen. And I haven't even got to disc 2 yet...
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I really need to get hold of this but, damn, its expensive to pick up... :(

Hate being late to the party sometimes.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 am I really need to get hold of this but, damn, its expensive to pick up... :(

Hate being late to the party sometimes.
I agree about it being expensive. It is, however, a magnificent pressing. I have a decent stereo system and this version of L&G is one of the best records I've played on it in terms of dynamic vinyl with zero warp or surface noise. It is miles ahead of the Plain pressing which isn't too bad. You'll be pissed off it it sells out while you are thinking about it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Greeny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:52 pm It was an absolutely breath-taking listen. And I haven't even got to disc 2 yet...
I wholeheartedly agree with this as well as Olan's post below about not snoozing on this and then prices really skyrocketing.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I can only echo what others have said: it may seem expensive, you may wonder if you need it... trust me, it’s worth every single penny and more. It sounds utterly magnificent. The packaging looks and feels so luxurious. VMP may be costly but they have properly done LAGWAFIS justice. I never got the Plain version because of how bad its reputation is. I’m glad I never bothered. This is how it was meant to sound, I’m sure of it.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Breathtaking layout and THE sound! That bass is so massive. Such a brilliant edition. Every penny so well spent. Amazing. I'm so fulfilled about every aspect of this. I have Plaid re-release, but i'm not so gonna put it on and compare it to this, no need, as this is perfectly brilliant. Finally - such a good material finally has a justified package.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just took the plunge on Discogs. €66 / £60 including postage :oops:
For the past few weeks it just seemed to be holding it's price around the €65 mark on Discogs and Ebay so i said 'Fuck it...now or never!'

Don't even have anything to play it on at the moment :roll:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

My copy appears to be scratched on the last two songs of side C :evil: No way of playing it at the moment to find out though :roll:

Also had a couple of rough edges (like little spikes of plastic) on both records. Looks great but the vinyl is not what i was expecting. Bought it on Discogs as New/Sealed so can't complain to VMP.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I saw a Facebook user post a NM copy for 45 shipped stateside, I can send the link to anyone interested here.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I finally got around to putting this on and I have to say it's incredible. Just pure quality in both the physical packaging and the sound. I'm sorry to hear some people having problems with their copies. Mine is nearly perfect. Ordered it directly from VMP. It's by far the best pressing of LAG on vinyl. The others don't even begin to compare...

My only complaint is that it doesn't have the original title track.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yup, you people are not making it easy for those of us yet to shell out for this! from the reports here it sounds superb.

it's a little strange that Spiritualized albums (very much a 'record collectors' kind of band) are quite tricky to source on good vinyl.
just imagine a brilliantly remastered version of Lazer Guided Melodies.
good dope/good fun
Known user

It’s really not that expensive.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Postman arrived with an LP shaped box with VMP on it, addressed to my wife :D

Think Santa might have got my letter! :D
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Haven't posted here for a while. The VMP pressing is superb. They mixed up the track order to maximise the quality. The packaging is really nice and heavy. It sounds stunning and can only agree with other people on this. I did put on my 1997 original to compare and despite some surface noise the '97 sounded pretty good. However, if you can grab the VMP I would.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I can only echo what other members have said in this thread, a complete revelation :D The sound quality is immense and the packaging is fantastic (g/f sleeve was an inspired idea) My thanks to lilmoxie for sourcing this for me so very much appreciated :D
'Remember, change is not good'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Just dropped the needle on this and I'm crying my eyes out to Ladies & Gentlemen... :D
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

And when you posted that a package arrived I was sure that your Wife had bought herself the Stevie Nicks LP instead.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

rapideye wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:38 pm And when you posted that a package arrived I was sure that your Wife had bought herself the Stevie Nicks LP instead.
Haha! THAT would have caused uproar here! :lol: :lol: