What Are You Listening To Now?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Rinsing the White Hills discography, haven't listened to them for a while. saw them many moons ago play a tiny art gallery in Nottingham with Kid Millions on drums and second guitar from Doggen , they were a blazing comet of sound. Enjoying the revisit.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Neil Young- Homegrown LP
Gene Clark- White Light Intervention Records reissue LP
Mercury Rev- Delta Sweete Revisited LP
China Crisis- Working With Fire & Steel deluxe 3 CD. Late night Amazon purchase. The two extra Cds are incredible. Nice way to spend a sunny day in Detroit inside.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Perfect Prescription
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Flowers of hell - 'Come hell or high water'
Brillant stuff!
"Thank you"
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Kikagaku Moyo`s - Masana Temples getting played a lot this week, so good. According to my Spotify account the new Sonic, Daniel Avery and the latest Run The Jewels are my `Heavy Rotations`, seems about right.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Tempos - Culto Al Qondor
Really loving this, has to be one of my fave Drone Rock Records releases out of the ones I've heard. Kudos to Adam.
Had it on a few times recently, love how the songs build and it's very rhythmic but not too repetitive. The drummer is all over the kit driving the whole thing, not just doing the Neu beat that so many psych bands fall into
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Will be having a day of Beachwood Sparks today in honour of our anniversary. We had this as our first dance on our wedding day, 18 years ago. This will forever be our song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2l3FY6K2IE
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yet more The Heads archive recordings on vinyl coming for your money- Reverberations Vol 2. they are reissuing Vertigo Swill too.

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/the-heads ... ions-vol-2

also has anyone heard Bent Arcana. a new release from John Dwyer of the Oh Sees. It's very much on a jazz/improv tip. also features Peter Kerlin (Chris Forsyth/Sunwatchers) on bass so that piqued my interest

https://johndwyer.bandcamp.com/releases
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Came home to the sad news of Denise Johnson`s passing, so sad, she was only chatting away with followers on twitter the other day and had a new album coming out to look forward to as well, always liked this tune, RIP
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Came home to the sad news of Denise Johnson`s passing, so sad, she was only chatting away with followers on twitter the other day and had a new album coming out to look forward to as well, always liked this tune, RIP
I am very, very sad about Denise Johnson's passing to say the least. I've been a huge fan of A Certain Ratio since 1980. She was a part of ACR's recording and live setup way back into the 1990's. If I were to chose a single vocal performance by her if would be the version of Big Jet Plane on Primal Scream's Memphis Tapes, which is memorable for Throb's contributions too. Taken too soon is an understatement. What a voice she had....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Ridiculous Trio plays The Stooges.

Tuba, Trombone and Drums let loose on The Stooges! Better than you might imagine :)
https://theridiculoustrio.bandcamp.com/ ... he-stooges
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:08 am The Ridiculous Trio plays The Stooges.

Tuba, Trombone and Drums let loose on The Stooges! Better than you might imagine :)
https://theridiculoustrio.bandcamp.com/ ... he-stooges
I didn't think this would be much, but i'm sitting here listening, with a smile on my face :) Thanks for this!
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

olan wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:20 am
niamhm wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:20 pm

I am very, very sad about Denise Johnson's passing to say the least. I've been a huge fan of A Certain Ratio since 1980. She was a part of ACR's recording and live setup way back into the 1990's. If I were to chose a single vocal performance by her if would be the version of Big Jet Plane on Primal Scream's Memphis Tapes, which is memorable for Throb's contributions too. Taken too soon is an understatement. What a voice she had....
Olan, she was a one off, I was lucky enough to get to know her a little over the last 2 years, mainly due to her being good mates with people I was mates with. Primal scream's response to her death was lukewarm and they were called out by Terry Christian (was was great friends with Denise), worth seeing his angry tweets on twitter.
I was floored when I heard the news, she was such a friendly, warm and selfless person, and yes , what a voice.
This year can just bloody do one, thoroughly depressing
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm mainlining this Verve Hultsfred recording - fuck it's good!

Can't believe I missed out on them at the time - 92-96 were such wasted years as I stuck by the indie guitar stuff to the detriment of most of the great psych/space rock/shoegaze going on...
DiffStrokes
New user

Post by DiffStrokes »

Gaslamp Killer - ‘Heart Math’ LP
Sun Ra - ‘Sleeping Beauty’ LP
Pharoah Sanders - ‘Thembi’ LP
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Getting a fair bit of enjoyment from the latest Vacant Lots album, Interzone

Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

This now:

https://lukehoward.bandcamp.com/album/the-shadow

It's sooo beautiful...
DiffStrokes
New user

Post by DiffStrokes »

Blast from the past today......

Yo La Tengo - 'I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One'..... forgot what incredible music there is on this record. Gorgeous stuff, especially 'Damage'
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Autotelia - I, collaboration between members of The Oscillation and Tomaga, 4 long pieces more textures than songs but its really working for me just now which I`m finding strange as i`m not particularly a fan of either band, strange but recommended.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

niamhm wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:19 pm Autotelia - I, collaboration between members of The Oscillation and Tomaga, 4 long pieces more textures than songs but its really working for me just now which I`m finding strange as i`m not particularly a fan of either band, strange but recommended.
Tom Relleen one half of this collaboration/project died a few days ago, stomach cancer, only 42, terrible news, RIP Tom
https://thequietus.com/articles/28827-t ... tomaga-rip
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

The Myrrors - Black Sand (Live in London)

I've been totally lost in this album for the last few days. Definitely one of the best live bands i've ever seen. Their live shows are really something to behold and this LP really captures it. Amazing droned-out mantras which very few can match, and definitely one of the best TRUE psychedelic bands of modern times.

Not seen them mentioned much around these parts but well worth checking out.

If you can't get hold of the LP, this is a close second...

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Saxophones appear to be de rigeur in 2020 :roll:

Expect reverbed spoons to be the 'go to instrument' by the tail end of 2021.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The new BOSQUES EP features both Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 covers. Really excellent...

https://bosques.bandcamp.com/album/mutaciones-ep
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New Rocket act GAS. Surely Goat related. From Sweden, similar sound and artwork. Debut 7" available on Rocket Bandcamp.

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 pm New Rocket act GAS. Surely Goat related. From Sweden, similar sound and artwork. Debut 7" available on Rocket Bandcamp.

Liking this, heavier than Goat? Its ordered anyway along with White Hills and new Hey Colossus, expensive little morning on Bandcamp
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

sunray wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 pm New Rocket act GAS. Surely Goat related. From Sweden, similar sound and artwork. Debut 7" available on Rocket Bandcamp.

Great track! ordered the single. thnx for the tip!
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Mogwai - 2018. Live album taken from their last tour in 2018. Name your price at bandcamp: https://mogwai.bandcamp.com/album/2018

Not actually had a listen yet tbh.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

It does not get on my nerves, but Gas artwork is re-creating something from the past that metalheads treasure a lot. Both Gas and Bathory come from Sweden (well, the main dude from Bathory is long gone). Gas nods to a front cover of self-titled first album by Bathory from 1984. Goat from Sweden surely got their logo shift also from Bathory. That first Bathory album is usually referred as "the yellow goat album".

https://youtu.be/nASsupyduhg
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Alice Coltrane - Lord of lords
Thee Midniters - In thee midnite hour
Baba Commandant - Sira ba kele
"Thank you"
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Nudity - God's Creation

A MONSTER of an album. Revisiting after randomly hearing Le Premier Voyage du Captaine while out walking yesterday. LOVE this album but that track in particular is a total trip!

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah surely Goat related, if not perhaps just members of Goat under a different name. They had Djinn for their jazz stuff and now this for the heavy rock. sounds like they've been listening to some Sabbath for sure!

as for myself, been listening to a recommendation from none other than yourself Joycey. really liking the Slift album, I think many round here may dig it. it's balls to the wall rock, lots of energy with a thick bass sound but also some spacey bits. this KEXP sessions is also really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzsyZWbN7g
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I've never seen then mentioned on this forum, but I got into them during middle school years after hearing them on rock radio. I guess I'm trying to see if they still sound good to me now.

The band is Live. They made it into the mainstream with their 2nd album Throwing Copper. I am currently listening to their 5th album V, which made some waves with the song Overcome which was released with a video of the aftermath of 9/11 in New York City.

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

That really does look nice 8)
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

New Asteroid #4 album, Northern Songs. Loving it!

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Laz69 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:15 am New Asteroid #4 album, Northern Songs. Loving it!

Absolutely. I'm waiting on the LP to arrive but have been playing the FLACs from Bandcamp a lot. It is a really strong LP all round but the last track, linked to in YouTube by Laz69 is a belter.

I am also really enjoying the new LP from Sarkh called Kaskade. It is a heavyish post-rock thing with elements of prog and doom. Some bits touch on the likes of Motorpsycho, Explosions in the Sky and Mogwai. All instrumental with lots of tempo/time signature changes. It is released on Worst Bassist Records run by Lulu from Electric Moon/Zone Six etc

beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

olan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:57 pm Image
Love the wallpaper!
Still waiting for my VMP package to arrive, but it’s nearly here...
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

In the meantime I’m spinning The Charlatans’ Us and Us Only. Best record the Stones never made.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

beaker73 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm Love the wallpaper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The wallpaper matches the Spacemen 3 poster over my turntable. It actually came with the house when we bought it in 2013. We have renovated every other room in the joint. I can't be arsed to remove the wallpaper (or change the hideous carpet) because (i) I am used to it now and (ii) I'm not shifting all the shite out of here.
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

olan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 pm
beaker73 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:32 pm Love the wallpaper!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The wallpaper matches the Spacemen 3 poster over my turntable. It actually came with the house when we bought it in 2013. We have renovated every other room in the joint. I can't be arsed to remove the wallpaper (or change the hideous carpet) because (i) I am used to it now and (ii) I'm not shifting all the shite out of here.
Well, according to my wife it is quite trendy right now, so there’s that :lol:

And I got my VMP package today, so will be spinning me some Spiritualized tonight!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Flaming Lips - American Head, a return to form of sorts, I`m enjoying it anyway. Wouldn`t say its better better than Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi but on first 10 or so listens I think its better than everything else they`ve done the last 20 yrs, no tv/pop stars or members of The Clash and actual songs about real things, refreshing
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm but on first 10 or so listens
:shock: :shock: :shock: Fair play to ya, the most anything gets played round my gaff is one or two listens then its onto the next thing. Too much music not enough time. I reckon the only albums to get 10 listens from me in recent years are Parquet Courts 'Sunbathing Animal' and JAMC's 'Damage & Joy'.
The last few months have been a massive struggle listening wise. Couldn't connect with anything so have been reading music bios instead for my Rock n Roll kicks. With far more satisfying results i must say.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 pm The last few months have been a massive struggle listening wise. Couldn't connect with anything so have been reading music bios instead for my Rock n Roll kicks. With far more satisfying results i must say.
Didn't you get on with Sonic's new LP?
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 pm
niamhm wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm but on first 10 or so listens
:shock: :shock: :shock: Fair play to ya, the most anything gets played round my gaff is one or two listens then its onto the next thing. Too much music not enough time. I reckon the only albums to get 10 listens from me in recent years are Parquet Courts 'Sunbathing Animal' and JAMC's 'Damage & Joy'.
The last few months have been a massive struggle listening wise. Couldn't connect with anything so have been reading music bios instead for my Rock n Roll kicks. With far more satisfying results i must say.
Funny you say that Joycey, I know people who consume/purchase music at such rate I often think they can`t possibly listen or investigate it properly, its just not possible, how can it make an emotional or any other kinda connection or impact in such a short time? Some of my fav records I never connected with until after many, many listens. Now days people seem to dismiss stuff after a 1/2 listen`s and I`m sometimes guilty of it myself, I think streaming might have something to do with this, I gave Doves new one a cursory play through, it was okay, my cousin reckoned it was brilliant so I willcome back to it but often its... onto the next thing,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:34 pm
sunray wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:39 pm The last few months have been a massive struggle listening wise. Couldn't connect with anything so have been reading music bios instead for my Rock n Roll kicks. With far more satisfying results i must say.
Didn't you get on with Sonic's new LP?
I actually did. Very much so. Think it got 4 spins before i set it aside :lol: The thing with Sonic's album was that i immediately liked it, and as it was Sonic i felt it was deserving of a few plays. I could then move on safe in the knowledge that it was a good album, that i enjoyed, and could return to at any point.I think the listening rot set in just after that. I haven't really disliked anything but the music has just seemed to exist rather than capture my attention. This has happened to me before so i'm sure it'll change at some point.
niamhm wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:58 am Funny you say that Joycey, I know people who consume/purchase music at such rate I often think they can`t possibly listen or investigate it properly, its just not possible, how can it make an emotional or any other kinda connection or impact in such a short time? Some of my fav records I never connected with until after many, many listens. Now days people seem to dismiss stuff after a 1/2 listen`s and I`m sometimes guilty of it myself, I think streaming might have something to do with this, I gave Doves new one a cursory play through, it was okay, my cousin reckoned it was brilliant so I willcome back to it but often its... onto the next thing,
You are correct Gary, it's not really possible, unless it hits like the PC and JAMC albums i mentioned, which my soul/ears demanded i listen to repeatedly. If i like it straight away i move on, knowing that i like it (which is a bonkers attitude i know!). If it doesn't grab me it's still usually ok and i'll have a notion of returning to it somewhere down the line.
I do sometimes feel utterly swamped with the amount of music out there though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

'Samalas' by Mote. Fantastic guitar psych from Melbourne. Recommended by the good folks from the Psych Lovers group on Facebook. It's as good as everyone said. I've had it on rotation for a few days now.

https://motemelbourne.bandcamp.com/album/samalas-lp
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ditto on Samalas by Mote.
Also. Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup remaster/unreleased and alternate tracks + 1973's Brussels Affair.
Spiritualized- Ladies & Gentlemen VMP remaster. I just cant get enough of this.
Rickie Lee Jones- Duchess Of Coolsville Anthology
Loads of older Verve Youtube live videos.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

A Certain Ratio - Logo
Man Of Moon - Dark Sea
Hawkwind - Live At The BBC
and the Mogwai - 2018 live set, dl only from bandcamp the other week there,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

niamhm wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:57 pm A Certain Ratio - Logo
Hawkwind - Live At The BBC
and the Mogwai - 2018 live set, dl only from bandcamp the other week there,
I've been listening to all of those a lot. I also really like Untitled(Rise) and Untitled(Black Is) by Sault and Northern Songs by Asteroid No4 which have arrived in the last few days. If you like the ACR LP, you might give Sault a try,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

couple of new things piquing my interest:

Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders.
a collaboration with Neil from Slowdive, it's nice and minimalist so you could potentially compare it to Pygmalion. but also, on this song when Neil does his guitar stuff it brings to mind Durutti Column for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g2AGGI_FLM

Psychic Temple- Houses of The Holy
double album with different backing band on each side of the record. Dream Syndicate do their stuff on one side, but there's all sorts of other styles elsewhere.

https://schlarb.bandcamp.com/album/houses-of-the-holy

Interesting discussion up above around listening habits and how many listens we should give something. it is definitely too easy to drown in everything that's coming out these days, as opposed to when i'd pay £15 for a CD and then have to give it a good chance before buying the next one. I still think I'm pretty good at giving suitable attention to the stuff I properly buy though.
the new Doves is an interesting example, still finding it unfortunately rather mediocre myself but it's charms have grown a bit over a few listens. would I have given the same attention to a band I wasn't already a fan of? would I have been better off spending time doing so? perhaps.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Finding this very soothing on a windy Sunday morning .

Mexican Krautrockers now living in Berlin.

Sei Still - Sesiones con Martin Delgado 105.3FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkvCmvk6D8
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Excellent follow up to the original In Dub compilation. CD only, but some thunderous bass vibrations nonetheless.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Having a delve into early Ten Years After
Same with the vast Vintage Cucumber catalogue - over 30 releases to listen to on Bandcamp!
Sei Still - s/t. Excellent motorik grooves from these Mexicans who reside in Berlin
Condello - Phase 1. Great guitar/pop psych from 1968
Allman Brothers Band - Live at The Cow Palace, New Year's Eve 1973. Superb sprawling 4 hour show featuring Jerry Garcia and Boz Scaggs on a few tunes
Michael Nesmith - Magnetic South. Excellent country rock from ex-Monkee dude
New Riders of the Purple Sage - Gypsy Cowboy. Cool hippy country rock
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

In honour of one of my closest friends who died unexpectedly last night. He always maintained he wanted this as his funeral song so i've conveyed his wishes to the family. Due to current covid regulations it is unlikely any of his friends will be able to attend or even mourn his loss together.
Funnily enough, another of my friends who passed more than twenty years ago is mentioned in the comments.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sorry for your loss Sunray.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

oh no, i’m so sorry. i lost my best friend 4 years ago. what an emptiness it is. i hope music can comfort you some. and i hope when you listen to this in particular down the road that it comforts you knowing how he loved it ♥️
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sorry to hear that Joycey,
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Sorry to read of your loss Joycey. I lost a very close friend to a motorbike accident a few years back. The suddenness of his death was awful.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Anyone heard of this Liverpool band Professor Yaffle?
Very much like Michael Head with bits of Gomez and Lemon Jelly mixed in.
Just received all three CD's today and am on a Professor Yaffle binge.
A Brand New Morning
Cosmic Lullabies
Moments Of Clarity

Gorgeous stuff.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Sorry to hear this news Joyce. Sadly this year is one for losing loved ones, and not just pandemic-related. My best to you and yours...
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Sorry for your loss Joycey, tough times. I hope you find some music to assist you through this. That's my Funeral song as well btw. I shall raise a glass this evening and play this tonight mate in all its majestic beauty
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thank you all for your kind words, much appreciated. My condolences to those who have suffered similar.

In 30 years we shared a lot of music, turning each other on to myriad acts and genres. In latter years he was particulary taken with The Aliens. But from day one the thing we shared the most was an unswerving devotion to The Jesus & Mary Chain and Spacemen 3. The two acts who always stood towering, impressive and monolithic, above everything else we listened to 8)

I don't wish to disturb this thread any further so let's get back to the tunes.
I'm off to check out szpretent's recommendation of Professor Yaffle. Not only do they sound like an interesting proposition but my other half has often compared me to the Bagpuss character they're named after! Make of that what you will :lol:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

We are are all sorry for your loss Sunray.
I just thought after expressing my condolences I would post some new music.
Start with the video for Cosmic Lullaby.
It is beautiful.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Been on holiday all week, supposed to have been replacing the ensuite shower cubicle - it was forever leaking - damaged floor and plasterboard walls replaced, but late change of plans over new shower tray means time wasted and a busy weekend ahead, also went over on my ankle first day carrying old materials outside, should see it, 4 toes black, blue and purple and an almost perfect line of bruising right round my swollen foot, anyway the soundtrack to all this has been the new Thurston Moore - By The Fire, new FUZZ - III and the new White Hills - Splintered Metallic Sky, I have this on pre order, but delayed due to covid restrictions in pressing plants I think, which will possibly affect many upcoming releases, just something else to add to the `effects of this shit show` pile, anyway all those records are great,
Last edited by niamhm on Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Agreed Gary, that new Fuzz album is excellent. Unlike some of Ty's projects (for me), this never feels throwaway or "just another release". Band always seem focused, energetic and keen to leave thir albums burned into your brain.
Took a punt on the Sei Still album thats been getting a lot of positive comments and its really good too. Just a quick listen yesterday while working but the opening track is just sublime. Can't say i'm overly familiar with bands like Can, Faust, etc. but this has Neu! stamped all over it!

Also on the playlist this week:

Spiritualized - Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow 2019
Bardo Pond - On The Elipse (impatiently waiting for my vinyl to turn up)

Its been a weird year (for a miriad of reasons), but i've been starting to think what my favourite albums have been this year. Partly due to the usual "best of " lists that appear soon but also because i'm kinda struggling to think of more than a small selection :( I can think of 3 for sure, one a very likely (not out yet but have very high hopes) but, beyond that, i'm struggling to think of anything new... plenty of great reissues and tracks here and there, but nothing else thats really blew me away.
I've also struggled a lot with ANYTHING hitting the spot at times. Spending all day in front a computer, i have endless hours to listen to pretty much anything i want, but i've often found myself zoning out just searching through folders, going through vinyl or scanning CDs with absolutely nothing leaping out at me. I sometimes suffer from "the little black cloud" and i often can't face music (or anything) at all but, when it lifts, i normally drift back and normal service resumes. Just been weird not knowing what will hit the spot when i want "something"

The end of year polls will be an interesting read...