New Album!!!!????

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nghst
Known user

New Album!!!!????

Post by nghst »

I just read Jason's interview on Uncut. It sounded like he put together an album during this past year with the Covid pandemic when everything was shutdown.
sunray
Known user

Re: New Album!!!!????

Post by sunray »

Should get it around 2024 so. Along with the MBV one.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

Let’s hope that the reissue campagne will make him enough money to hire a proper mixing engineer this time. I know I am in the minority, but I find most of SHSL and ANH unlistenable because of the production. :roll:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 am Should get it around 2024 so. Along with the MBV one.
you may be right! depends how far along he is I guess. if the songs are just written, or recorded as well.

beaker73 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am Let’s hope that the reissue campagne will make him enough money to hire a proper mixing engineer this time. I know I am in the minority, but I find most of SHSL and ANH unlistenable because of the production. :roll:
SHSL.. 100% agree there. I maintain a lot of those songs are excellent, but the production drains the life out of them... ANH however I thought came out much better.

if he's also recorded and mixed this new one at home, it stands that it may sound similar to ANH..
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From Uncut:

When And Nothing Hurt was released, you said it might be your last album. Is that still the case? AniLieterman, via email

I do wonder if me saying that is just a defence mechanism, like it’s a fear of not being able to do another, given
how long it takes me to do a record. I actually have another Spiritualized album ready to go now – in lockdown I’ve at least been able to find a bit of space to put that together. Will that be the last one? I feel like I’ve written quite a lot of stuff in the meantime. It’s hard until you start putting it down to know what you’ve got, but I’ve been writing. I always wish that I could hand over to somebody and say, “Here are the tracks, mix this…” But what’s the purpose of that, unless it’s just to generate something to sell?

I get the impression that there's a whole lot of work to be done before it sees the light of day. So, yeah, 2024 :lol:
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Yeah that sounds like early days, I can't dispute the 2024 predictions :lol:
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

Actually--not to be a total optimist here, but doesn't that quote rather make it sound like he's got ONE record "ready to go" and *another record* (or much of one) partially written? "I feel like I've written quite a lot of stuff in the meantime seems to suggest the latter, so maybe the comment about mixing refers to his usual process and/or looking ahead, rather than the one that's finished.

I mean, maybe not. But that's how I choose to read it. 8)
Pat Garrett
Known user

Post by Pat Garrett »

A saint wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 pm Actually--not to be a total optimist here, but doesn't that quote rather make it sound like he's got ONE record "ready to go" and *another record* (or much of one) partially written? "I feel like I've written quite a lot of stuff in the meantime seems to suggest the latter, so maybe the comment about mixing refers to his usual process and/or looking ahead, rather than the one that's finished.

That's how I read it as well, but I guess could only be the case if he recorded it in 2019 (seems unlikely)?

(Also not sure why this is in italics)
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

A saint wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 pm Actually--not to be a total optimist here, but doesn't that quote rather make it sound like he's got ONE record "ready to go" and *another record* (or much of one) partially written? "I feel like I've written quite a lot of stuff in the meantime seems to suggest the latter, so maybe the comment about mixing refers to his usual process and/or looking ahead, rather than the one that's finished.

Yeah that's how I read it!
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I read the whole article and yknow what, I am also thinking that he may have meant it that way. If you read it carefully. Maybe just wishful thinking haha

Some other great tidbits in there. He's read a bit of Will's book, he's still in contact with Pete Kember with the legal stuff (and thought it was nice that he'd been to see Spiritualized live over the years), and he was also full of praise for John Coxon. He seems in good spirits.

I was also very glad to see he is the total opposite of the Ian Brown/Van Morrison view in terms of the current covid situation, vaccines etc. He says that most of his tour reading is science, and obviously he's had pnuemonia so knows how awful it is not to be able to breathe properly.

The Lazer Guided Melodies reissue has started getting reviews too.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

If he does have an album 'ready to go' (maybe that should be the title :lol: ) i would think it's unlikely to come out during the reissue programme. Let that generate interest and then release the new lp.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

You're right, yeah. The record company would want to wait at the very least.
Just hope all that extra time doesn't tempt Jason to tinker and 'give it one more remix!'
Maybe 'A song' will make it onto the next one?