*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

PopeJez
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by PopeJez »

mywhitenoise wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:28 pm
Vancouver wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:53 am
mc wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm Ok, you've convinced me to badger Fat Possum for a DL code now :)
They gave me one. Maybe we should all just share them here privately rather than continue to bother them lol.

BTW, hit up the warehouse email for the code.
Anyone have the Bandcamp FLAC for Pure Phase? ...that is if there's any difference at all from the original CD.
Yeah- I got it. I was listening to it yesterday through good headphones. It sounds good. Hard to say if it sounds better than the original - clearer perhaps. I think I was hearing more clarity but sometimes you hear what you want to hear if that makes sense. With the LGM vinyl I think it sounds utterly superb (same with the VMP L&G).
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Got my LGM copy a few days ago and had to pay apart from the transportcost another postal fee of 38€ ☹️.
Makes it an expensive record indeed... But it sounds great! Especially the start of 'Take your time', that bassss.
Looking forward for Pure Phase and Let it Come Down releases. Gonna skip lagwafis assumed it will be the same pressing as the VMP release.
Anybody out there who knows where I can order a copy in the EU, just to skip these outrageous postal costs?
Have a nice day!
"Thank you"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

herman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:45 am Got my LGM copy a few days ago and had to pay apart from the transportcost another postal fee of 38€ ☹️.
Makes it an expensive record indeed... But it sounds great! Especially the start of 'Take your time', that bassss.
Looking forward for Pure Phase and Let it Come Down releases. Gonna skip lagwafis assumed it will be the same pressing as the VMP release.
Anybody out there who knows where I can order a copy in the EU, just to skip these outrageous postal costs?
Have a nice day!
Ouch! Try HHV.de or JPC.de. Of course there's always Amazon.de but they will only have the black vinyl versions.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

herman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:45 am Got my LGM copy a few days ago and had to pay apart from the transportcost another postal fee of 38€ ☹️.
Have a nice day!
I preorderd my glow in the dark from JPC.de, only €29 or something and free shipping to the Netherlands.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

beaker73 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:42 pm
Have a nice day!
I preorderd my glow in the dark from JPC.de, only €29 or something and free shipping to the Netherlands.
Thank you for the tip!
"Thank you"
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

LGM definitely sounds a bit fuller and with a bit more presence.. basically sounds great. bare in mind I am comparing this to my CD copy so not exactly like for like.

seems like the glow in the dark Pure Phase is a bit rarer than the white LGM for some reason.. last time I was able to get the white one from my local record shop literally on the day of release.. this time the glow in the dark appears sold out everywhere
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am LGM definitely sounds a bit fuller and with a bit more presence.. basically sounds great. bare in mind I am comparing this to my CD copy so not exactly like for like.
I've only been listening to Flacs on headphones via the laptop, but what's really struck me is just how much subtle panning and channel hopping is occuring throughout the album. Never noticed it before. It's been a long time since i've listened to it on headphones too so that might have something to do with it.

I wonder does it get the Jeffrey Cat and FM Spaceman seal of approval? :wink:
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

sunray wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am I wonder does it get the Jeffrey Cat and FM Spaceman seal of approval? :wink:
Indeed...S.O.S. to Jeffrey! Bloop Beep Blap Frizzle Fizzle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

thesevensteves wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:43 pm
sunray wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:56 am I wonder does it get the Jeffrey Cat and FM Spaceman seal of approval? :wink:
Indeed...S.O.S. to Jeffrey! Bloop Beep Blap Frizzle Fizzle
:lol: :lol: :lol:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Damn shame the Spacemen back catalogue cant have this treatment :(
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:10 am seems like the glow in the dark Pure Phase is a bit rarer than the white LGM for some reason.. last time I was able to get the white one from my local record shop literally on the day of release.. this time the glow in the dark appears sold out everywhere
I suspect the glow in the dark is a massive selling point (to fans and collectors alike) hence the scarcity. Should be noted that glow in the dark vinyl is regarded as not being conducive to quality playback so you're probably better off with the black vinyl!

At the time of release Pure Phase was seen as a bit of a disappointment by many Spiritualized fans, myself included. It was good but it arrived three years after LGM and featured loads of material that had already been released in some form or other, so yeah, slightly underwhelming.

Arguably there are only four brand new songs on the album: The Slide Song, Let It Flow, Spread Your Wings and Feel Like Goin' Home. Aside from Let It Flow the other three could be viewed as a signpost towards the direction Jason was heading imo.
Electric Phase and Pure Phase are pretty much disposable.
Two Spacemen 3 songs in All Of My Tears and These Blues. With the latter though i'm not sure how many people were aware at the time that it originated from the Spacemen days. I certainly wasn't.
A cover version of Laurie Anderson's Born Never Asked
Take Good Care Of It had been a live staple for a few years.
Medication, Electric Mainline, Lay Back In The Sun and Good Times all previously issued as singles (albeit in differing arrangements).

It feels slightly bitty as an album when compared to LGM, L&G and LICD. In saying all that i still think it's a good one :)
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

Slide Song makes it worth it. The glow in the dark stuff is clever, but Slide Song is the greatest song in his entire catalog.

If he releases the live Slide Song from Glastonbury 1994 I can die in peace. I have been looking for a good recording of this specific performance for over a decade. Got in touch with a recording engineer who was hired to record Glastonbury that year, he had recorded a ton of stuff that hasn’t been released. I asked him about Spiritualized and he laughed. Told me they weren’t even in consideration for recording.

Sucks that so many people have no taste.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:30 pm I suspect the glow in the dark is a massive selling point (to fans and collectors alike) hence the scarcity. Should be noted that glow in the dark vinyl is regarded as not being conducive to quality playback so you're probably better off with the black vinyl!

At the time of release Pure Phase was seen as a bit of a disappointment by many Spiritualized fans, myself included. It was good but it arrived three years after LGM and featured loads of material that had already been released in some form or other, so yeah, slightly underwhelming.
luckily I'm not too fussed about fancy colours or glow in the dark etc, if it's available and only a couple of quid more then yeah I'll go for it, otherwise I'm okay with boring black!

I can see why Pure Phase may have felt a bit like that at the time. obviously now looking back (and also from the perspective of someone like me who came to the band later) it's not so much an issue. to be fair, I think only people from the inside of the Spacemen 3 circle would have known about These Blues right? and how many people would have been aware of the Laurie Anderson Born Never Asked?
But it's true that Jason has never been the most prolific of songwriters. I do like that the single versions of the songs are totally different mixes though. that adds extra value. I wish more bands would do that. but then I aIso think that albums should be mastered (and perhaps even mixed) entirely separately for digital and vinyl, but I'm not the one who has to put all the work in!

I think a lot of the genius of Pure Phase is in the sequencing - I'd go as far as to say it's one of the best ever albums for sequencing. all the tracks are in their perfect place and flow into the next one perfectly (that includes the two phase tracks) it becomes much more than the sum of its parts.

controversial opinion here though.. I've never rated Medication as a song whatsoever! :?

SpaceLine wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 am
If he releases the live Slide Song from Glastonbury 1994 I can die in peace. I have been looking for a good recording of this specific performance for over a decade.
the version of The Slide Song from Worthing Pier is an all timer for me. part of me would love a properly mixed live version of it, but then I also think that the slightly overloaded raw quality of the bootleg is part of the appeal- sounds bleeding into each other etc.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

The Slide Song is something special isn't it? Definately in my Spirtiualized top 5 tracks.

One thing I never really understood is, when Jason liked to have altenative versions of single tracks on the albums, why he put "Don't Go/Stay with me" and "The Individual" on LAGWAFIS? Two b-sides from a different album era. I'm pretty sure that the version of Don't Go/Stay with me is the same on the album and the Let it Flow single? I couldn't swear to the Individual ( a fast forward track for me), but I think it is.

I love "Stay with me", but to include it on LAGWAFIS is a little strange, no? Maybe he thought it would just fit in with the flow of the tracks? Wonder if he re-recorded it but couldn't get a version he liked better than the original?
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

stegraham wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:16 pm The Slide Song is something special isn't it? Definately in my Spirtiualized top 5 tracks.

One thing I never really understood is, when Jason liked to have altenative versions of single tracks on the albums, why he put "Don't Go/Stay with me" and "The Individual" on LAGWAFIS? Two b-sides from a different album era. I'm pretty sure that the version of Don't Go/Stay with me is the same on the album and the Let it Flow single? I couldn't swear to the Individual ( a fast forward track for me), but I think it is.

I love "Stay with me", but to include it on LAGWAFIS is a little strange, no? Maybe he thought it would just fit in with the flow of the tracks? Wonder if he re-recorded it but couldn't get a version he liked better than the original?
The takes of "Don't Go" and "The Individual" on the Let It Flow single are indeed the same as the ones on LAGWAFIS. There may be mixing differences but the performances are the same.

As for why those songs were recycled: they were actually recorded with John Coxon after Pure Phase was already finished. So they are not so much Pure Phase b-sides as LAGWAFIS "previews." Similar to "Medication" being a single from the LGM era.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

angelsighs wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 am
SpaceLine wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:56 am
If he releases the live Slide Song from Glastonbury 1994 I can die in peace. I have been looking for a good recording of this specific performance for over a decade.
the version of The Slide Song from Worthing Pier is an all timer for me. part of me would love a properly mixed live version of it, but then I also think that the slightly overloaded raw quality of the bootleg is part of the appeal- sounds bleeding into each other etc.
I too love that Worthing Pier version, it’s fantastic. I have listened to that show countless times.

The Glastonbury version I only have on a terrible cassette recording that is barely listenable. I tried many times to transfer it and clean it up years ago, but I was never successful. It has similar lyrics to Worthing version but added guitar which takes song to another level for me. Such a shame they never play this song anymore.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Disappointed with the LGM reissue.

I got the black vinyl, there are a shocking amount of pops and clicks on it for a new record, record 2 is visibly warped, and the re-done inner sleeve artwork is incredibly lazy. I'm of half a mind to send it back, but I've probably left it too long now.

I hope the Pure Phase package is better.
Man Called Sun
New user

Post by Man Called Sun »

I don't like the new tracklist for the vinyl version of this release:

Side 1
1. Medication
2. The Slide Song
3. Electric Phase
4. All Of My Tears

Side 2
5. These Blues
6. Let It Flow
7. Take Good Care Of It
8. Born, Never Asked

Side 3
9. Electric Mainline
10. Lay Back In The Sun
11. Good Times

Side 4
12. Pure Phase
13. Spread Your Wings
14. Feel Like Goin' Home

Had a copy at home and the the big winner is Side 2: "Let It Flow" -> "Take Good Care" -> "Born, Never Asked" is pure Spaceflight. The left/right definition and interplay is superb.

The problem is that they split "Born... / Electric Mainline". That's a terrible interruption of the "trip" and for the experience of the album as a whole. Adding "Electric Mainline" on side 2 would make it last 23 minutes+ which might be the reason it is split: staying under 20 minutes to reach the best sound. I would still prefer the full sequence 😔
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Seems like Born Never Asked could have been moved to side 3. I haven't tallied the times, but it is a more natural-sounding split.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

mh wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 pm Seems like Born Never Asked could have been moved to side 3. I haven't tallied the times, but it is a more natural-sounding split.
But then Lay Back In The Sun and Good Times should stay together as well, which would make side three too long... Don't think there's an easy answer, apart from leaving it as it was and accepting that the vinyl and CD are going to be different.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Ian wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:13 pm
mh wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 pm Seems like Born Never Asked could have been moved to side 3. I haven't tallied the times, but it is a more natural-sounding split.
But then Lay Back In The Sun and Good Times should stay together as well, which would make side three too long... Don't think there's an easy answer, apart from leaving it as it was and accepting that the vinyl and CD are going to be different.
I am genuinely surprised they didn't stick with the original vinyl configuration, with "Good Times" as an unlisted "bonus track" on side 4. It was going to be 2 LPs anyway so I find the decision confusing. Even Plain used the original configuration (even though their version of LAGWAFIS followed the CD and added fades to make side breaks).
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

After having a bit of time to consider it , not blown away with the new art work for LGM, front is okay, back is cool, bit of info, but the inside of the gatefold? Why bother?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Ian wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:13 pm
It's not that bad, my suggested configuration would look like this:

Side 1 16:51
Medication
Slide Song
Electric Phase
All Of My Tears

Side 2 13:10
These Blues
Let It Flow
Take Good Care Of It

Side 3 19:47
Born Never Asked
Electric Mainline
Lay Back In The Sun
Good Times

Side 4 18:23
Pure Phase
Spread Your Wings
Feel Like Going Home

They're still all under 20 minutes, side 3 looks like an absolute rush, and it still works better than the original LP configuration.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I guess there was no perfect way of doing it, but for me not having Born Never Asked leading directly into Electric Mainline will seem really weird. I know there's a few segues on the album which are effective but that one particularly seems essential. Shown by the way they often did it live.

I'll have to check later, but I'm not even sure the 4 sides of the Lazer Guided Melodies reissue matches the 4 'colours' as on the original CD version
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Didn't the VMP issue of L&G have a different sequence to the original release? That worked ok as i recall and didn't seem to disjointed as a result. Still, the sequencing of the songs is just as important and, if it doesn't flow well, does affect the listening experience.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

angelsighs wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:50 pm I guess there was no perfect way of doing it, but for me not having Born Never Asked leading directly into Electric Mainline will seem really weird. I know there's a few segues on the album which are effective but that one particularly seems essential. Shown by the way they often did it live.

I'll have to check later, but I'm not even sure the 4 sides of the Lazer Guided Melodies reissue matches the 4 'colours' as on the original CD version
Fat Possum LP version of LGM definitely uses the correct original four-side configuration.

I agree with you that Born Never Asked and Electric Mainline shouldn't be split up. The original 3 sides plus "bonus side" configuration is still ideal.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BessieBoporBach wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:22 pm Fat Possum LP version of LGM definitely uses the correct original four-side configuration.
Ah okay thanks!

People may be want to check out the new issue of Record Collector magazine, there's reviews of both LGM and Pure Phase and a little interview with Jason. They ask him a question along the lines of what we've been talking about- weren't these albums originally designed for CD?!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:20 pm People may be want to check out the new issue of Record Collector magazine, there's reviews of both LGM and Pure Phase and a little interview with Jason. They ask him a question along the lines of what we've been talking about- weren't these albums originally designed for CD?!
Would you agree the albums are very much products of the CD age, fashioned specifically with that format in mind?
It struck me as the first time CD was more important than vinyl, and there was a lot of attention paid to the detail of the artwork and presentation of these albums. I know there's a lot of enthusiasm for vinyl these days, but often the reissue pressings are taken from masters originally made for compact disc anyway. It's not like buying original Motown vinyl where the master is off-the-scale better than CD.

With the other questions Jason claims he wouldn't change anything about any of his albums as all avenues were explored at the time of recording.
He tried applying the Pure Phase way of recording to other material but it didn't work at all.
Finally, he uses Spotify but prefers the physical format. Plus he has issues with the artist payments and doesn't really understand singular tracks being downloaded rather than a whole album as he views songs like individual chapters of a book.

The two albums both receive good 4 star reviews.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

sunray wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:04 am He tried applying the Pure Phase way of recording to other material but it didn't work at all.
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... e-together

This is a nice article documenting the recording/mixing of LAG which mentions such an attempt (towards the end of the article). Sounds as though Come Together was possibly mixed in this way (left/right channels of different mixes combined into one mix) even if the rest of LAG wasn't.

Post by PopeJez »

I'm hearing the Pure Phase black vinyl is being delayed to 29th June in the UK
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Several record shops tweeting that they have more stock of the white vinyl LGM.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

There also appears to be some glow in the dark Pure Phase left here.

https://www.jumborecords.co.uk/music-si ... id=FP17522
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

PopeJez wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:19 pm I'm hearing the Pure Phase black vinyl is being delayed to 29th June in the UK
yeah, the amazon listing in Canada now has July 2 as the release date.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

I was very disappointed by Pure Phase at the time.

I felt that there were too many previously-released tracks on it, the sound quality was very muddy and indistinct, lacking in both low-end bollocks and high-end definition, the two-channel mixing seemed more gimmicky and conceited than of value, and the weird sequencing of the vinyl version totally broke up the flow of the record.

These days I see it as a whole that's definitely greater than the sum of it's parts, but it's funny how a lot of my misgivings from 25+ years ago still hold firm, and it's still not in my top 3 Spiritualized LPs.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

mh wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:28 am I was very disappointed by Pure Phase at the time.

I felt that there were too many previously-released tracks on it, the sound quality was very muddy and indistinct, lacking in both low-end bollocks and high-end definition, the two-channel mixing seemed more gimmicky and conceited than of value, and the weird sequencing of the vinyl version totally broke up the flow of the record.

These days I see it as a whole that's definitely greater than the sum of it's parts, but it's funny how a lot of my misgivings from 25+ years ago still hold firm, and it's still not in my top 3 Spiritualized LPs.
I agree with your first point here. I felt there wasn't enough new material on it back then but I didn't have any issues with the sound. As the years passed, however, it became apparent I was wrong and that the album was actually a full blown masterpiece and I still stick to that, so I can't agree with your other points. I think the track sequence is excellent too, with the closing section inspired. What I'd give to have heard Spread Your Wings played live back then, but to my knowledge its never been played live...

Let It Come Down is another album that's caused peoples views to change. It sounds pretty excellent these days.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

[/quote]
What I'd give to have heard Spread Your Wings played live back then, but to my knowledge its never been played live...
[/quote]

From the L&G show they did in 2014 in California. And on Valentine's Day too, no less. There is a less crackly boot out there but I don't have it to hand. Perhaps some kind soul on here would oblige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBvW7VLZb_s
Last edited by heisenberg on Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Here is the audio of Spread Your Wings live- on my youtube channel, but its not my audio I hasten to add! I just uploaded so people could hear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjmcYKfqnC4

also just read re: Pure Phase release date:
Pure Phase release date remains June 11 for Europe and everyone who ordered via http://spiritualized.com and http://fatpossum.com.
However, the UK and US retail date for Pure Phase is now June 25
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:19 pm Here is the audio of Spread Your Wings live- on my youtube channel, but its not my audio I hasten to add! I just uploaded so people could hear it

Wow. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here! Thanks to you and heisenberg on this one. I'd never heard this before (obviously) and it basically proves why this classic song should have been played more often. That's a great rendition...
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Pure Phase shipped from Fat Possum, estimated delivery is June 10.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

runcible wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:56 pm
angelsighs wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:19 pm Here is the audio of Spread Your Wings live- on my youtube channel, but its not my audio I hasten to add! I just uploaded so people could hear it

Wow. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong here! Thanks to you and heisenberg on this one. I'd never heard this before (obviously) and it basically proves why this classic song should have been played more often. That's a great rendition...
It's great isn't it? Albeit a very close reading of the album version. I guess one reason why it wasn't played live much is that you need the strings etc. Still it would have been interesting to hear them try it at the time, with Kate Radley keyboards etc. Back when the live versions often sounded very different to the studio versions

Even better of course, would be if it also lead directly into a version of Feel Like Goin Home. But guess that's just being greedy! :)
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I had an email today to say that my PP reissue order has shipped.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thanks for this. Enlightening interview.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:35 pm I had an email today to say that my PP reissue order has shipped.
Yep, my PP GITD vinyl is on the way from JPC.de in Germany. Two shirts also in the post. No word on the black vinyl that was ordered from bandcamp shipping yet though.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

GITD vinyl turned up this morning. Great start to the weekend!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Got mine via Kontraband - GITD vinyl and CD. No badge though :( even though the invoice is marked "Please include free badge while stocks last"

Guess they didn't last that far...
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Interested to hear the reviews, like a lot of other people, I imagine. Ordered mine through my local record shop due to the ridiculous postage prices originally quoted by Kontraband. Looks like they have sorted that out now, but for whatever reason, shops aren’t getting these for another two weeks. I’m no expert on these things, but wouldn’t all the pressing and distribution have been done at the same time. The release date for LGM coincided for Kontraband and shops, so it would be interesting to know why this isn’t the case for Pure Phase If anybody knows.

Also, looking on the shop, both formats of the vinyl are shown as sold out, but strangely, appear to still be available if you buy a t shirt & vinyl bundle. Might be of use to anyone still looking for the GITD version.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

GITD press from Fat Possum sounds good to my ears, spun the whole thing the night I got it.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Not massively impressed with my pressing TBH - quite a lot of surface noise and noticeable distortion in the tracks near the centre of the sides, All of My Tears and Born Never Asked in particular. In all honesty I'm not that bothered, because -

a) I shouldn't and don't expect much from glow in the dark vinyl; if I was dying for high fidelity I'd have gone for black
b) It's always hard to know how much is my system, how much the record will benefit from cleaning and repeated plays etc
c) Listening to vinyl is a rare treat for me, generally I'm going to play my old CD rip of PP anyway
d) The whole exercise is as much about bunging J. some cash as it is me getting a new record
e) It came with that heavenly album print/tracklisting black t-shirt :)
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

The best part was opening the album. It was packaged beautifully. It was fun listening to it on vinyl again, my old version is pretty beat up.
I don’t really understand why they changed the track listing, the fade out/in is weird.
The prints i got with it are beautiful! But why change the image on the sleeves?
Anyway, I sound like a grumpy old man and am super happy I ordered the record and can’t wait to play it for many years to come.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I agree the packaging being very nice and it looks great. As far as the prints go, do you mean you got separate prints or are the prints your referring to those on the inner sleeves? I didn't get badges either but that's not the end of the world.

On the whole, the sound is ok to me and I did enjoy listening to it. PP was my in to Spz and I think it's fair to say it changed my musical tastes for the better. It was nice spending an hour reminiscing back to 90's and what that time was like.

I agree on the surface noise towards the centre of the Lps, especially disc 1. Not just surface noise but skipping all the way through All My Tears. My version is unlistenable and it'll need to be replaced. Quite disappointed with this. I'm not really a completist and would rather have a good black version that a GITD version just for show. Of course, I could have just bought the black in the first place. Hopefully, this can be sorted out.

I'm not sure where I'll got for the LAGWAFIS versions as I bought the Vinyl Me and really happy with that. Can't see the need for a second version if it's the same. I'm also not particularly in need for a new LICD. It's not one of my regular plays. I probably should listen to it again soon and decide if a new version is worth it.

I do like the t-shirts though and happy at getting new ones.

What I think we really need are new shows when restrictions ease enough. A full run through of PP would be amazing.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Picked up my black vinyl and GITD Pure Phase LPs from the Post Office this morning. I've not opened the GITD LP as my experience with glow in the dark vinyl is uniformly shite. The black vinyl is great, nice powerful pressing although the fade out/fade in between Born Never Asked and Pure Phase is very odd after all these years. My original vinyl is very tatty now so it is nice to have a new LP to play.

This is an LP I almost always listen to via CD though as it benefits from the flow without needing to turn the records over.
Last edited by olan on Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Ok, good to hear that the black version sounds good. That's the way forward for me.

So did you get separate prints?
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

No separate prints in the black vinyl. There are new photograph inner sleeves based on 1995 images and of course as the outer is a gatefold there is a large image there too.

All the artwork for the GITD is reproduced here https://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-E ... e/19066723. Just click on the image of the LP sleeve.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Ok, that's cool. Same as what I've got. Hopefully, I can replace the GITD for a black vinyl.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I got mine from spiritualized.com and it came w some nice photo prints. Maybe 8 x 10s. Placed on nice backing paper.
Glow in the dark sounds bad.
I’ve had good sounding glow in the dark vinyl before.
This is not for fans.
I don’t have my good turntable handy so hoping it’s just my audio technica making this sound so bad.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

dselevan2 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:57 pm I got mine from spiritualized.com and it came w some nice photo prints. Maybe 8 x 10s. Placed on nice backing paper.
Which you would have paid extra for.
To clarify, there are no free prints with either version of the album.

Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a version that featured a numbered art print of the front cover: https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordsto ... urce=Email
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Are the glow in dark shirts washable ??
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Are the glow in dark shirts washable ??

According to the label - wash at 30, do not tumble dry, do not iron print

Hopefully Spiritualized laundry care will become a permanent fixture...
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

GITD (UK) has way more surface noise than LGM and the VMP LAGWAFIS but still sounds really good. Great bass where it should be and sounds like it was recorded yesterday. I think the black vinyl will sound better when that arrives. Really high quality packaging once again.
neil_jung
Known user

Post by neil_jung »

PopeJez wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:47 am Are the glow in dark shirts washable ??

According to the label - wash at 30, do not tumble dry, do not iron print

Hopefully Spiritualized laundry care will become a permanent fixture...
next album will come in a washing machine packaging as J completes his domestication :lol:
I’ve been visiting morgues and monasteries
Looking for the necessary body parts
Limbs and livers and brains and hearts
I want to bring someone to life - is what I want to do
I want to create my own version of you

dylan
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No bonus Pure Phase badges this time?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

No bonus Pure Phase badges this time?
I didn't get one. I ordered pretty quickly (UK) and my receipt mentioned a free badge but nope - nothing.
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

No badges for me either. I have been in touch with Kontraband who are replacing the dodgy GITD vinyl with a black version. Very quick response. Shame the GITD version wants better but I'll be chuffed at having a great sounding PP.