Euro Cup 2021

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Euro Cup 2021

Post by spacemanrich »

Excited about tomorrow's night opening match. No particular order or preference, but I like Belgium, England and France chances on winning it.
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Euro Cup 2021

Post by runcible »

It's been interesting a week in. A few decent games although I've seen nothing really outstanding so far though. As a Leeds fan I was obviously delighted to see our man Kalvin Phillips play so well for England, but we have a few guys across the board in this competition. From what I've seen so far France look very good although Germany started well in that game. Belgium also pretty decent, moments of Holland, but Italy are probably the best right now.

Some things I've picked up on. The first is that standard of refereeing seems miles superior to much of what I saw in the Premier League last season - lots of advantage played, more open play and referees less fooled by non-fouls. VAR also seems much better with decisions made quicker and less time wasted. The big negative is all the play acting. Players are writhing about with every challenge. I thought that was phasing out but this is worse than it was 25 or so years ago. I also realise how much better football is with supporters in stadiums, but that's an obvious one!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Fairly nailed it so far there Runci! I've barely noticed the refs or VAR, which goes to show the state of things in the Premier League.

I am taking my usual position of 'Anyone but Italy'. I've always hated them. It probably stems from them knocking Brazil out of the '82 World Cup but over the years i've always found their cynicism, defensive tactics and general play acting an absolute drag. I realise they haven't always been defensive in that time but i also used to find Italian football on Channel 4 a total snoozefest, and i've never shaken that feeling.

Am i alone in thinking the Swedish national anthem has a section that resembles Feel Like Goin' Home? :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

In the aftermath of the Christian Erikson horror incident you`d think the play actors would have had a word with themselves, poor stuff tbh.
Amazing that Hungary has managed to allow full capacity attendances, that`s great :roll:
yes Italy looking the best so far but its early days,
Full of trepidation for tonight`s England v Scotland game, one of those games where so much is at stake for us it would be ludicrous to say you actually enjoyed it, my nerves will be in tatters, bring it on :D
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I'm with Sunray, anyone but Italia. I, also can't stand Brazil ( over-rated ). Geez, beating Turkey and Switzerland doesn't warrant any excitement from me. Wait until the competition heats up in the knockout stages ...
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Fingers crossed for tonight, we only have to beat the losing World Cup finalists from 2018, no biggie :roll:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

niamhm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm Fingers crossed for tonight, we only have to beat the losing World Cup finalists from 2018, no biggie :roll:
F#ckin` furious, manager is bloody useless , over 3 games including two at our home stadium he`s contrived to lose two - two biggest games in quarter of a century, a feeble performance, Clarke should f#ck off, go away and not return for a long time, sorry thats how we feel, that`s how much you`ve let us down
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That Modric goal was pure class though wasn't it?
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cracking goal. They seemed to be able to split our defence with a pass at will. We were never going to beat them. 2nd half they simply up'd their game a gear, leaving us scrambling.

I do think we have the makings of a good side going forward. Young players who have an appetite that's been sorely missing from Scotland for a long time. Gutted for young Billy Gilmour as he really deserved to enjoy more of the tournament. Definitely one for the future for us.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Hehehe... Calmed down a bit since Tuesday, still think Clarke made mistakes though, team selection, substitutions, general game management, yeah Modric`s goal was a peach of a strike, glad for a few days away from the football tbh,
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Looking at England's three games i thought they'd no chance of progressing any further but after watching Germany i realise they're no great shakes either. It really could go either way. Roll on Tuesday :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

England really are a tough watch. Yes, they're effective but it's a bloody slog to sit through. Still, a tournament always retains a greater interest the longer they are in it.
Belgium v Italy on Friday; will either be a classic or a total snoozefest.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

No easy road to Wembley (Venue for the Final), but England has a good chance as any. Sterling is still on fire. Kane and Grealish are coming along now (relishing the fact that they could be Cityizens in the near future). Would ordinarily take Belgium, but with de Bruyne and Hazard out I don't know. Wow, that leg chop on Kevin de Bruyne was brutal - couldn't see why that wasn't an automatic red card !
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The tempo in that 2nd round was certainly up on the group stages so it's setting itself up to be an interesting set of quarter finals.

I was too nervous during the England game but obviously came away enjoying it. The France Swiss game the night before - which I saw the whole of - was an amazing watch. I've caught highlights of the other games...

Saturday is going to be interesting, but, as Sunray says, that Italy Belgium looks pretty tasty. Are De Bruyne and Hazard definitely out? That's a monumental blow if so.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I only caught the 2nd of yesterday's quarter finals. Italy deserved to win but the gamesmanship and blatant cheating are what I hate most about football. The play acting is bad enough, but intimidating referees and trying to get opponents booked is something I thought was pretty much gone these days. Sadly Mancini obviously encourages it in his team which is a shame in what is a very good side.... But one I won't be supporting - and they look like the most likely winners I'm afraid.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:58 am I only caught the 2nd of yesterday's quarter finals. Italy deserved to win but the gamesmanship and blatant cheating are what I hate most about football. The play acting is bad enough, but intimidating referees and trying to get opponents booked is something I thought was pretty much gone these days. Sadly Mancini obviously encourages it in his team which is a shame in what is a very good side.... But one I won't be supporting - and they look like the most likely winners I'm afraid.
Interesting. Sums up all my feelings towards the Italians down the years and yet...I actually find myself enjoying this current Italy team :shock:
Last night was a quality game and Italy played it the right way i.e going out to win with attacking football rather than been determined not to lose. Okay, they reverted to type for the last 20 minutes but they were great entertainment before that. England should take a leaf out of their book and open their game up a bit more. Alas i can't see that happening, Southgate would rather bore everyone into submission :evil:

Spain/Switzerland wasn't much cop. A ridiculous sending off (football will soon be a non-contact sport) matched by even more ridiculous penalties :roll:
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The state of the Swiss penalties was ridiculous, what was with all the stop start dancing steps before hitting the ball, just put your f#cking laces through the ball, got what they deserved I`m afraid and after the keeper saved two as well :roll:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Five games in and i still don't know if England are any good or not! :? Do they have more to offer or is this it?
Surely to God the Danes will give them a game? 'Cos no one else has yet. Yeah, Scotland had a go but England were awful that night anyways. What we've had predominantly from England so far is turgid, soporific football that's dreadful to watch. They won 4-0 tonight but the Ukraines gifted them three second half goals via zero marking.
It's hilarious listening to the difference between the BBC and Irish TV panellists with regards to England. It's like they're watching two different games :lol: Rio Ferdinand sure does waffle some shite :roll:
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

I knew England would win ... Elvis predicted it :
https://sports.yahoo.com/soccer-elvis-p ... 16187.html

I'm waiting for the next prediction England or Denmark. I'll put a wager on Ladbrokes :wink:

Should be a good match. Never count out the Danes. Harry Kane is hitting his stride. How did Sterling manage to get that ball to Kane ?!

The Espana v. Italia match should be exciting as well. I'll take Espana on this one.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

A tad harsh Joycey I must say! I agree England haven't been properly tested - the other side of the draw would have provided a far more difficult route to where they are now, although Germany is never an easy game and I think England deserve some praise for coming through that. Denmark is a proper banana skin now - a very good team with increasing confidence. And look at what happened in the World Cup semi final when it looked to be going our way. As an England fan I'm used to disappointment when at my most optimistic. Also I can't see us beating Italy who look by miles the best side.

That all said... No goals concerned in the tournament - over 1000 minutes since the last one - and with Kane appearing to find some form in the later stages... Who knows? Southgate has certainly got some team spirit going. Those club rifts from the time of Capello and others seem to be handled well this time round. So I think a little more credit!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:25 am That all said... No goals concerned in the tournament - over 1000 minutes since the last one - and with Kane appearing to find some form in the later stages... Who knows? Southgate has certainly got some team spirit going. Those club rifts from the time of Capello and others seem to be handled well this time round. So I think a little more credit!
Yep, great team spirit and defensive record, can't argue with that :) It's just so mind numbingly dull (for the most part) to watch. My fear would be that we'll see lots of teams adopt those tactics next season leading to unwatchable football. I'd much rather see Guardiola/Klopp style of play every week than a raft of Southgate influenced teams.
In the meantime, I don't think Denmark will present much of a problem.
England v Italy final.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nerve racking match. The Spanish side had better ball possession and shot on goals until they broke thru on the 82nd minute. Olmo - what a playmaker setting up his fellow spanish. They say the Spanish are weak in the penalty kicks area and that showed tonight. Can't miss (2) penalty kicks. :oops:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I thought Italy looked tired throughout last night's match. If, as i expect, England reach the final i can see their pace causing the Italians some problems.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It was a really good game I thought. Best one I've seen so far. The Spanish were certainly unfortunate with the amount of possession they had plus some decent chances but their penalties were generally poor. It was a relief to see Italy play without all the play acting and intimidation of the quarter final. When they went 1-0 up I thought that was it but the equaliser was a moment of real quality. I can't see England beating Italy if we get through tonight - they look too good defensively...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Riveting. Both sides played well tonight. Sterling doesn't seem to get tired with his energy level on high octane. No better matchup than England v. Italia. I'll take England and the home field advantage. I hope they take it to the ravioli's.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

At last! :D Someone put it up to England and they finally had to come out and play. A pulsating, absorbing match that England thoroughly deserved to win, as they controlled pretty much all of the second half and extra time. Just a shame it was through Sterling being rewarded for doing that shit he does :evil: Been waiting for such an incident all tournament :roll: Never a penalty!
England took a risk going defensive in extra time second half, handed the initiative back to the Danes, but Denmark were out on their feet from long before that.
I still maintain England's pace will pose Italy's defence problems. Pickford is an accident waiting to happen though.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I thought Denmark were excellent. That free kick was one of the goals of the tournament, absolute perfection. And Schmeichel? What a performance... For a good 40 minutes they ran the game although England's dangerous attacks were an obvious threat. Despite the jubillation I was somewhat unconvinced although a lot of our lot played well. I think Italy will be too strong on Sunday but I'm happy for the unexpected to take place. It'll be interesting!
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

runcible wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:45 am I thought Denmark were excellent. That free kick was one of the goals of the tournament, absolute perfection. And Schmeichel? What a performance... For a good 40 minutes they ran the game although England's dangerous attacks were an obvious threat. Despite the jubillation I was somewhat unconvinced although a lot of our lot played well. I think Italy will be too strong on Sunday but I'm happy for the unexpected to take place. It'll be interesting!
Totally agree. Although England played some good football, at times Denmark were equal and maybe deserved more from the game. Don't know how that was ever a penalty. Even with all this technology bad decisions are made week after week with VAR . Think there has been a lot of negative football earlier on in this tournament from the England team, they look so much more dangerous going forward. Not sure if England can match the Italians, for me they've been the best team ,total positive football. Maybe it's an age thing and I know the game has changed a whole lot, but don't think you could beat the days of wingers and players that just got up and played on after being tackled.
🤞 England good luck, you'll need it.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gareth Southgate great manager. I only question why he would pick Jadon Sanchez ( ManU target ) and Sako (Aresenal) both about 22 years old to take the penalty kicks when more experienced players might be a better alternative ? I'm not even saying Sterling, because I think he is shite in that role. The ravioli's ruled the 2nd half. England played it safe and tried to guard the 1 goal lead when they should have been just as aggressive in the first half. Just my take on the match. :oops: 55 years and waiting ....
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The right result. Italy were much the better side and although England proved very hard to break down the difference between the teams was obvious. When it went to penalties I thought that if we won it'd be a proper smash and grab raid.

So the best team in the tournament won. Their negative tactics against Belgium were largely left behind, although how Jorginho stayed on the pitch after his challenge on Grealish is beyond me. Those 2 comparatively ancient (he says, being over 20 years older than either!) defenders, Bonucci and Chiellini, were incredible. But that whole Italian team look excellent and Mancini has done an impressive job in repairing a somewhat broken side.

Whether England can learn and mature further under Southgate is another question. I don't know any team who can produce such contrasting performances in each half. Did it last night, did it against Croatia in The World Cup. Mancini knew how to change his team's dynamic at half time, Southgate apparently didn't. That's a real concern. When all the pundits were praising England's excellent first half performance at half time I had doubts as to whether we could carry that quality on, and ultimately we couldn't. The Italians would have shut up shop and killed the game off but we had no idea how to do that.

A.decent tournament anyway. And the football season is just over a month away...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pretty much agree with everthing Runcible has posted above.

I went down the boozer for this one (my first pub game of the tournament). It actually was harder to follow the match in that environment, but a fun evening nonetheless. An Italian couple up the front and then a few driving around the town after, blowing horns and waving flags. Probably from all the local chippers! :)