Spacemen 3 singles compilations

It's fairly unlikely you'd have made it here without ever having heard of Jason's previous incarnation. So here you go, talk away...

Moderators: sunny, runcible, MODLAB

angelsighs
Known user

Spacemen 3 singles compilations

Post by angelsighs »

Looking to fill in a few gaps, I was honestly ignorant that a lot of the singles are quite different to album versions.

as far as I can see there are 2 compilations of singles.. Translucent Flashbacks, and The Singles. one is a UK release and one is a US release

is there much difference between the 2? as far as I can see one squeezes on Things'll Never Be The Same but chops a bit from Rollercoaster.

any other differences- does one have better sleevenotes, or perhaps better mastering?

also for the tracks from The Perfect Prescription, is the mastering better than the very wimpy CD copy that I have?
Ian
Known user

Re: Spacemen 3 singles compilations

Post by Ian »

As you say, the US version, The Singles, does include Things'll Never Be The Same and also edits a few minutes from Rollercoaster. But there is another significant difference, which is that it uses the Northampton demo of Walkin' With Jesus rather than the single version. They are both the same recording, but it was remixed a bit for the single release, and a few seconds were edited from the intro and a few minutes edited from the end. Particularly ironic considering that, if the right version had been used, the edit to Rollercoaster could have been shorter. Also worth noting that there are two versions of this, the original with a cover based on the Walkin' With Jesus single, and a reissue with a cover based on the Take Me To The Other Side single. The disc contents are the same for both.

Translucent Flashbacks doesn't include Things'll Never Be The Same, but has the correct Walkin' With Jesus and a complete Rollercoaster. The version of Things... on the Transparent Radiation single is the same recording and mix as the Perfect Prescription album version, but very slightly varispeeded - the album version runs ever so slightly faster. It also has some liner notes by Pete which are quite nice.

Only Translucent Flashbacks has been released on vinyl. There was a 3 x 11" test pressing made of The Singles, but it was never properly released.

I'm not an expert on quality but both sound fine to me, with Translucent Flashbacks perhaps coming off a bit better. I would say it sounds better than the currently available versions of The Perfect Prescription.

More details of both on my site - The Singles and Translucent Flashbacks.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks Ian. I must say, for a band with such a small catalogue as the Spacemen there are a lot of quirks in their discography!
Just ordered Translucent Flashbacks

Seems like there'd be room for a 2CD set which would collect all of the above, as well as tracks from the Recurring singles! (PWF too I guess, but the B sides are on the generally available expanded version)
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Dreamweapon wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 pm There's also this which I have:

https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Walk ... se/1400435
Before the compilations we're talking about came out, that was such a brilliant release to have. I found my copy in a record shop in the Birmingham Bullring, was just passing through the city and had no idea that CD had been put out, it was such an exciting find. (It's a bootleg of course.)
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:25 pmSeems like there'd be room for a 2CD set which would collect all of the above, as well as tracks from the Recurring singles! (PWF too I guess, but the B sides are on the generally available expanded version)
This would be nice, but the Glass era and post-Glass era material seems to be owned by separate entities, hence no Sound Of Confusion or The Perfect Prescription on Spotify. Perhaps one day - if The Fall ended up issuing career-spanning compilations, surely anyone can!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Ian wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:47 pm
angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:25 pmSeems like there'd be room for a 2CD set which would collect all of the above, as well as tracks from the Recurring singles! (PWF too I guess, but the B sides are on the generally available expanded version)
This would be nice, but the Glass era and post-Glass era material seems to be owned by separate entities, hence no Sound Of Confusion or The Perfect Prescription on Spotify. Perhaps one day - if The Fall ended up issuing career-spanning compilations, surely anyone can!
ah right. still as you say, you never know! it would be a nice little set.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dreamweapon wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:31 pm There's also this which I have:

https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Walk ... se/1400435
I bought that off Runcible in the 90s :D Like Ian said, a great release at the time. I would also opt for Translucent Flashbacks over the Taang Singles release. Just a better package all round. You chose wisely 'Sighs!
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I remember being in a Virgin Megastore in Glasgow one day, and finding Translucent Flashbacks in the clearance bin for £4.99. Didn't even know it was released. Never reached a till so quick in my life! :lol: Unfortunately, like all those LPs back then, it was eventually sold :(

Still on my Wants List...
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:41 pm https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Walk ... se/1400435
I bought that off Runcible in the 90s :D
Blimey... That was a long time ago!

These were pretty limited so I'm always amazed it sells for so little. Same with the 1st issue of the Fucked Up Children stuff.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 am
sunray wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:41 pm https://www.discogs.com/Spacemen-3-Walk ... se/1400435
I bought that off Runcible in the 90s :D
Blimey... That was a long time ago!

These were pretty limited so I'm always amazed it sells for so little. Same with the 1st issue of the Fucked Up Children stuff.
Are you referring to the Quiver at Dawn cd of Fucked Up Children? I bought that off you too! :)
Aside from the main LP/12" releases of Spacemen 3/Spiritualized/Spectrum/Sonic Boom you couldn't really get any of the rarer/odd material in Ireland. So i'll just say that i purchased a lot of Spacemen related material off Runcible in the early 90s and leave it at that! :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five