*** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Re: *** Spaceman Reissue Program ***

Post by angelsighs »

neil_jung wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 pm the swampy sound would be interesting, ladies and gentlemen we are floating time out of mind
Yep, I especially think it might work with the more recent material.
I watched a Daniel Lanois live session recently and was also struck by how good a guitar player he is as well as all the dubby ambient stuff he does on the mixing desk

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 pm
To be fair, it kinda worked. I bought the cassette version the morning before the first time I ever seen them live
- second hand within weeks of release for £2.99 - pretty sure it had never been played.

I played that tape to death.

I won’t get rid of it though because…
Wow, how did you get that signed? It works nicely doesn’t it. The landscape shape still kinda resembles a box of pills.
I was also still listening to cassettes in the late 90s 😊 I still had a Walkman and it would vary what format I bought something on depending on if I wanted to listen to it on the move.

And yeah that Primal Scream song is great, not sure I knew that existed!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Me and my pals hung around the back of the Aberdeen Music Hall after the gig - probably my suggestion. At least one member of the then band tried to hit on my pals younger sister: giving away bottles of red wine and a massive joint.

I seem to recall enjoying that with my pals later in my bit hours after - I think that was when the ‘Take your time/Shine a light’ (or track 3) on LGM really hit me.

(You have to remember it was the first time seeing this band live: I’ve spoken about this here before but it was insane and incendiary.

The opinion was divided that night I have to say - I thought I’d witnessed something extraordinary while a few others were decidedly non-impressed.

One of my best pals to this day - all though she denies it now - walked out before the end 😳)

Jason headed out last and was so kind and gracious - he signed stuff and asked us about what we did etc.

I actually remember asking him if he wanted to go for a pint - the next day was a Glasgow show I think so he very kindly declined.

That’s the one gig I want to hear again.

But to be honest. Even if a bootleg survived it could never replicate the enormity and crushing insanity via wild white light/white heat going on there that night…
O P 8
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I'm not into vinyl yet, but I do love reading Jason's thoughts on his albums as well as those from critics. I think when people say true artists aren't in it for the money that definitely applies to Jason.

From Louder than War: https://louderthanwar.com/spiritualized ... um-review/
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Aquarium Drunkard interview: https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2021/09/08 ... interview/

New album arriving early next year :shock: :D 8)
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Screenshot_20210908-161502.png
Screenshot_20210908-161502.png (300.17 KiB) Viewed 32354 times
Resident records jumped the gun announcing Let It Come Down earlier, when i clicked on the link it was dead. Looks to be on Ivory /Bone coloured vinyl
Last edited by angelsighs on Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

sunray wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:23 pm Aquarium Drunkard interview: https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2021/09/08 ... interview/

New album arriving early next year :shock: :D 8)
Cheers! Great interview:) Looking forward to new material.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Has anyone's order from the official store arrived (or even been shipped yet)? I haven't had any notification about it.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That LICD sleeve is interesting. Not sure if i like it or not.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Has anyone's order from the official store arrived (or even been shipped yet)? I haven't had any notification about it.
My Blue vinyl has shipped from the SPZ website store although I've not received it yet. My black 'retail' vinyl arrived this morning.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

mkb wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:28 am Has anyone's order from the official store arrived (or even been shipped yet)? I haven't had any notification about it.
Not today. Previous reissues have all arrived on time.
But there is a chronic shortage of delivery drivers in the UK, we are told.
I'll give em a couple more days :mrgreen:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

well, my mug arrived today but I realise that's probably a different supply chain than the records!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Seen a few people on FB showing off theirs.

My burning question is whether it's the same version as the VMP one. For no other reason than hoping more people getting to hear just how incredible that VMP issue was.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

My burning question is whether it's the same version as the VMP one. For no other reason than hoping more people getting to hear just how incredible that VMP issue was.
Just checked the run out groove - the same marking as the VMP version (it even has VMP marked on it).

Which is great news!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

It would have been a massive mistake to not use the VMP version. It is almost like hearing LAG in a whole new light.
Glad they did.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Ok, just listened to it. My black vinyl sounds like the VMP issue but with loads of added surface noise. Even after a clean it's very intrusive.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

After the disappointment of the last two, especially PP, which should never have even made it out of the pressing plant, this one is a revelation. So glad I bothered.

Edit: Apart from the horrendous noise in the last minute of Cop Shoot Cop, which sounds like a flaw in the vinyl.

Why can't they do anything right? Rip off bastards.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Edit: Apart from the horrendous noise in the last minute of Cop Shoot Cop, which sounds like a flaw in the vinyl.
Agreed, it's horrible. I also got horrible noise during All My Thoughts.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

PopeJez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:46 pm
Agreed, it's horrible. I also got horrible noise during All My Thoughts.
I have the VMP reissue of LAG which is flawless. All of the vinyl I have bought in the current reissue programme has had pressing issues of one type or another from minor to catastrophe (GITD pressing of PP). It seems a bit like quality control at Fat Possum is a bit off. I've not gotten around to even thinking of buying the LAG pressings which is unusual given my completist leanings.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

The blue vinyl has been delivered this morning - will give it a listen today...

Same issue with the blue vinyl. Even after a clean it's still noisy. The end of Cop Shoot Cop is ruined.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

How can there be so many issues with these reissues? It’s ridiculous. It’s not like I’m gonna go back to the store and do them out of a sale because it’s not their fault, but it also feels bad form to be having to contact FP again about a noisy record. Who is checking this shit and why is it happening again?
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

James T wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:19 pm How can there be so many issues with these reissues? It’s ridiculous. It’s not like I’m gonna go back to the store and do them out of a sale because it’s not their fault, but it also feels bad form to be having to contact FP again about a noisy record. Who is checking this shit and why is it happening again?
It's absolutely pants. They were bloody expensive. This one and the PP glow in the dark have been really terrible. They shouldn't have seen the light of day. I've felt ripped off by all three of them. For there to have been major issues with all three is unforgivable. Not a chance I'll buy the next one.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I have to say, my copy sounds wonderful until the end of Cop Shoot Cop. If there is gonna be an issue, the very end of the last song is the best place for it... but after all the issues with pressings of this album in the past and the demand for FINALLY a definitive and readily available copy... it's just not good enough is it? (Mine is the blue press)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

This doesn't sound encouraging. I've still not gone beyond LGM yet, as there's always other records to buy that are actually brand new to me. Plus all this feedback about quality issues has made me hesitate a little.

Could the issues be related to the current bottlenecks going on at pressing plants? Not much time for QA. That said, I've not heard much chatter about issues with other new LPs

Also with ladies and gents, can i ask if the issues people are having is with the blue version. Anyone got the black version?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Still nothing sent from the official store for me. Wonder if including a t‐shirt in my order is holding it up? (I ordered vinyl, t-shirt and mug)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Official site/shop is closed. LICD announcement is imminent i guess.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Also with ladies and gents, can i ask if the issues people are having is with the blue version. Anyone got the black version?
Both my blue and black versions have the issue with Cop Shoot Cop. Contacted the official store today and the came back very quickly with the offer of a refund or replacement.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

PopeJez wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:17 pm
Both my blue and black versions have the issue with Cop Shoot Cop. Contacted the official store today and the came back very quickly with the offer of a refund or replacement.
mkb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 am Still nothing sent from the official store for me. Wonder if including a t‐shirt in my order is holding it up? (I ordered vinyl, t-shirt and mug)
I've also had nothing from the official site regarding my no-shows. I've not even had the email to say it has been dispatched.
Contacted them today, but heard nothing back.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

Not going to be bothered with this as I already have the VMP version and received faulty copies of both PP and LGM from Fat Possum. Though they were quick to rectify the situation with replacements its still really frustrating. As a buyer/supporter, my expectation after the first two reissues was that L&G and LICD are going to have QA issues as well and that really sucks. I've always been quick to pull the trigger on Spiritualized releases and I hate that I'm now hesitant to do so as I've been most anticipating LICD in this series.

Maybe its been discussed on here but the studio footage of the L&G sessions with Dr. John they were teasing the release with look incredible. Has that ever seen the light of day? Really fascinating stuff ... would have been an amazing supplement to the reissue.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

The black version too then? This kinda sucks.
Maybe if i wait a bit a second pressing may turn out better? Clutching at straws here..

Yeah that Dr John video footage was really cool and bit of a tease. We'll never see a proper documentary or release I'm sure.
When was the last time the band did a documentary or video release? Probably that LICD thing that was on channel 4. Then there was the Acoustic Mainlines film that never was.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

sunray wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:12 pm Official site/shop is closed. LICD announcement is imminent i guess.
And the artwork for LICD has been updated on the streaming sites.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

preorders are up on the site. Oct 22nd.

and there's a box you can buy to fit all 4 albums in!

and the 'Step 8' T shirt is back!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:04 pm preorders are up on the site. Oct 22nd.

and there's a box you can buy to fit all 4 albums in!

For the first time in the Reissue Program, I quite like the look of the badges.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

That said, I've still heard nothing about my missing order for LAG.
No despatch notification, no delivery and no reply from Kontraband.
Might buy LICD from Bandcamp, in case they have a different supplier.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I notice that the box says 'volume 1' on it.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Box is not available in NA.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:04 pm preorders are up on the site. Oct 22nd.

:D :D :D

I have to confess - before this reissue program was launched the new management contacted us mods and asked if there was any old t-shirt designs we would like to see again. I mentioned this one.

Did the original look like that though? I could recall plain text with “step 8” on the front and “fuck being straight” on the back in the standard typeface. I was unable to find any images online however.
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

heisenberg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm I notice that the box says 'volume 1' on it.
Well spotted! I definitely don't want to buy the next four albums again but the completist in me will make a convincing argument :roll:

I can't believe i'm buying cardboard boxes now. Tragically, i bought two :oops: :oops: :oops:

Didn't bother with shirt/mug/badges, they're not really floating my boat.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

mkb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 am Still nothing sent from the official store for me. Wonder if including a t‐shirt in my order is holding it up? (I ordered vinyl, t-shirt and mug)
Same :cry:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Those who have ordered from the Kontraband site regarding the LAG vinyl - let me know by the end of the week if nothing has appeared please.

I went cheap as I had Amazon vouchers - was set for delivery on Friday and then suddenly changed to estimated delivery “Sept 26 - Nov 8” :shock:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:28 pm

I have to confess - before this reissue program was launched the new management contacted us mods and asked if there was any old t-shirt designs we would like to see again. I mentioned this one.

Did the original look like that though? I could recall plain text with “step 8” on the front and “fuck being straight” on the back in the standard typeface. I was unable to find any images online however.
Unfortunately i don't remember the t shirt myself, just remember folks around here talking about it

Here's hoping for volume 2 eventually then. That will also be 4 albums if I've remembered right? They may be a harder sell though. Most are much more readily available on vinyl already. A lot of the appeal with this first lot was probably for people to literally just get their hands on them in vinyl form without paying a fortune.

Royal Albert Hall will kinda fall through the cracks!
morningrise
New user

Post by morningrise »

I hope a volume 2 will contain the 1997 Royal Albert Hall show and maybe The Complete Works series on vinyl. Or at least a singles compilation of some kind.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Yes it was a front and back design like you say. I think the style of the text is the same though. Also was the red t shirt at the time was "step 6"? I'm glad to see it available again so thank you for suggesting that.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

I wonder if the box has room to house the replacement LPs that had to be sent out too... :lol:

All kidding aside if the box becomes available in N America I would likely grab one as I can't fathom spending £23.70 on shipping alone for that. The LP with the box shipped is £76.74
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:D
Shaun wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Yes it was a front and back design like you say. I think the style of the text is the same though. Also was the red t shirt at the time was "step 6"? I'm glad to see it available again so thank you for suggesting that.
Shaun!!!
O P 8
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Shaun wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Yes it was a front and back design like you say. I think the style of the text is the same though. Also was the red t noshirt at the time was "step 6"? I'm glad to see it available again so thank you for suggesting that.
"steps 1, 2 or 3" sound more plausible for a t shirt so maybe it wasn't "step 6"
What more can the heart of a man desire?
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Hmmm...I was fairly sure I wasn't going to go for the LICD release and still not sure I've changed my mind yet. But I'm tempted. I like the idea of having a box set to hold lovely versions of the LPs but, to date, have these been good enough to shell out on? LGM was good, I thought, but PP has been a major disappointment for me, both GITD & black versions.

I was going to post the other day to ask if anyone has received what was thought to be a 2nd pressing of PP, anyone? I'm pinning my hopes on that. I think whoever is authorising the pressing should be doing something on getting the quality control right. I'd have no problem returning the GITD and replacement black copies I have and buying a good copy, maybe at cost? I think I'm clutching at straws here though. This is all we're getting for now, I think.

I would buy a black version of the LAGWAFIS to be my go-to copy and keep the VMP version decent, but not really sure that is worth it. Anyway, postings on here suggest it has issues too.

If this is a vol 1 and vol 2 are the next original releases, I'm doubting I'd buy these, unless they look really interesting. I quite like the original releases. I think they still look good and sound decent enough.

The post on releasing RAH & Complete Works is what would get me interested. I'd love those. Not sure I'd by a vol 2 box without having the vol 1 box. I'd just have the LPs.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

morningrise wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:11 pm I hope a volume 2 will contain the 1997 Royal Albert Hall show and maybe The Complete Works series on vinyl. Or at least a singles compilation of some kind.
I'm guessing not RAH as this does seem to be concentrating on studio albums. Would be curious on what the alternate sleeve for that would be mind you.

Complete Works.. Again not sure. Wouldn't they be like triple vinyl? Does anyone remember if they were ever on vinyl in the first place? I think 2003 was probably the darkest days of vinyl, and any collectors would likely have had the actual singles anyway. I think they were just a way to easily get all those tracks on CD

There are a few more odds and sods to collect since Amazing Grace
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Neptune blue vinyl arrived yesterday. Slightly warped and a bit of surface noise present, but so far (I'm at ITIIL just now) with high volume it sounds stunning when the music kicks in. I don't have the VMP release - is it the same?
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm Complete Works.. Again not sure. Wouldn't they be like triple vinyl? Does anyone remember if they were ever on vinyl in the first place? I think 2003 was probably the darkest days of vinyl, and any collectors would likely have had the actual singles anyway. I think they were just a way to easily get all those tracks on CD
Those compilations were only ever released on CD, I don't imagine there will be a reissue of them.
morningrise
New user

Post by morningrise »

Complete Works Vol.1 would probably fit on a 4xLP set I reckon. I agree it's unlikely but I didn't think Rownderbowt by Chapterhouse would ever get a vinyl release and they made it happen anyway. But Complete Works Vol. 1 on vinyl is just wishful thinking on my part :D
Last edited by morningrise on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

alas, my enthusiasm has been tempered - the last 2-3 minutes of both side A and B sound awful, really mushy and muffled and lo-fi. Plus the last 20 seconds of "Home of the Brave" are ruined by a nasty once-per-revolution scratching sound that isn't a skip :(
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

yep, same issues with disc 2 - the ends of side 3 and 4 sound really poor and like other people have mentioned, the end of Cop Shoot Cop is marred by that awful scratching sound. Looks like I've got it on 2 sides. So disappointing :(
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

mc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 pm alas, my enthusiasm has been tempered - the last 2-3 minutes of both side A and B sound awful, really mushy and muffled and lo-fi. Plus the last 20 seconds of "Home of the Brave" are ruined by a nasty once-per-revolution scratching sound that isn't a skip :(
Like this? https://twitter.com/billisdeadatATK/sta ... 3754716165
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

Starfish wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 pm
PopeJez wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:17 pm
I've also had nothing from the official site regarding my no-shows. I've not even had the email to say it has been dispatched.
Contacted them today, but heard nothing back.

same with me right down to sending an email today
dvshw
New user

Post by dvshw »

Hello! First time poster, long time lurker.
I’ve got an unworn Step 8 shirt - sadly it’s in storage at the moment so I can’t send a pic. From memory though, I feel like the text was over three lines instead of two, and the circular logo was bigger. My memory could be playing tricks on me though.
There was also a place on the inside near the neck for J to sign, however the signature has been lost to time (and cotton fibres).
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

For those asking/interested, this is what the original 12 Steps t-shirts look like, front and back:
Spz 1.jpg
Spz 1.jpg (286.51 KiB) Viewed 30865 times
Spz 2.jpg
Spz 2.jpg (290.51 KiB) Viewed 30865 times
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

mkb wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 pm
angelsighs wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:00 pm Complete Works.. Again not sure. Wouldn't they be like triple vinyl? Does anyone remember if they were ever on vinyl in the first place? I think 2003 was probably the darkest days of vinyl, and any collectors would likely have had the actual singles anyway. I think they were just a way to easily get all those tracks on CD
Those compilations were only ever released on CD, I don't imagine there will be a reissue of them.
Would give the opportunity to correct the Good Dope/Good Fun mixup though. But imagine the mastering nightmare having to source from all those original tracks again (not to mention the flexi!) Of course they could just master from the Complete Works CDs but then I'm not sure what the point in that would be.

Post by angelsighs »

those quality issues really suck. really not sure whether to shell out for these now.

also thanks for confirming the Complete Works were never on vinyl. makes sense.
I just checked and Royal Albert Hall was on vinyl (2xLP) a version at the time and then a Plain reissue couple of years back. on vinyl though you are losing those wonderful live segues between songs. No Electricity into Home of The Brave. no Think I'm In Love into Cop Shoot Cop.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

You can't really avoid that issue on a live album, although LCD Soundsystem (and I'm sure others) issued their live vinyl with sides A/C on LP1, B/D on LP2, etc.

Means that someone (usually DJs) with more than one turntable can cue up side B and play it continuously after side A, rather than having to turn it over and creating a gap.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

mkb wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:14 am You can't really avoid that issue on a live album, although LCD Soundsystem (and I'm sure others) issued their live vinyl with sides A/C on LP1, B/D on LP2, etc.

Means that someone (usually DJs) with more than one turntable can cue up side B and play it continuously after side A, rather than having to turn it over and creating a gap.
That's a fucking excellent idea. I've got two turntables and I'd be well happy with that format. :lol:
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Is the US pressing of LAGWAFIS suffering from the same issues as the UK pressing?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Lest we forget, the website states:
The Spaceman Reissue Program promises to give Spiritualized’s classic first four albums the fullest spectrum audio and physical treatment they’ve deserved since 1992
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Starfish wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:01 pm Lest we forget, the website states:
The Spaceman Reissue Program promises to give Spiritualized’s classic first four albums the fullest spectrum audio and physical treatment they’ve deserved since 1992
Yep, bit of a joke alright given the pressing issues.
I also can't understand why poly-lined inners weren't used (MBV had them on the recent reissues that had printed inner sleeves). Plus, i've found the inners are actually quite difficult to slide in and out of the gatefolds.
For an expensive product there's been an awful lot of fuck-ups.

The merch for LGM/PP was good though!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Dear customer,

Thank you for your order from the Spiritualized store for the Ladies & Gentlemen Neptune Blue LP.

We regret to inform you that due to a warehouse error we are short of our required number for the Neptune Blue Vinyl LPs.

We will be receiving more of the Ladies & Gentlemen Neptune Blue LP stock at the end of October so your order will be fulfilled then.

We greatly apologise for the inconvenience caused, if you would prefer a refund instead, please let us know.

Once again we apologise for this delay.

Many thanks,

The Kontraband Team
Not going that well this, is it?
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Just had the same email. Genuinely astounded that they've managed to screw it up for everyone ordering from the official site rather than prioritising those orders.