The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

All of the above.

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

veiko
Known user

The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

Post by veiko »

The Velvet Underground explores the multiple threads that converged to bring together one of the most influential bands in rock and roll.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7230750/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

Trailer> https://youtu.be/hWq7a8Tin8g
ro
Known user

Re: The Velvet Underground - A Todd Haynes documentary

Post by ro »

WoW !!!
that looks fantastic
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I watched this last week. It's really cool to see and hear the Velvet Underground, but I have to admit I thought it was a bit dull. I love the John Cale experimental music explanations, but once the documentary went past him leaving, it dropped off fast.

Doesn't mention Squeeze! haha
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I watched this too. For starters trying to get that band's history squeezed into 2 hours was ambitious. It should have been 3 or 4 2 hour episodes. They had a lot of dead air with slow shots of people's faces which seemed like a waste of screen time. I guess the 'arty' angle proved too much to resist for the film makers. That said there were lots of fascinating clips and interviews which made it well worth watching. But no recent interview with Doug Yule? I can't believe they didn't approach him but it seems odd he isn't prepared to talk about his time in the band. He contributed so much and I love that era!

Worth a watch but I think ultimately they missed a trick. I hope this isn't regarded as the definitive Velvets doc in years to come as there's so much more to the band than what was shown.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Like Runcible said. For me not enough about the amazing music - but I guess we have all that already. They should have done an 8 hour documentary, like Peter Jackson did recently, of a band far less deserving of this kind of thing.

IMO

The lack of Doug Yule is bizarre. I guess we’re so lucky living when the Matrix Tapes are available in a second: that whole set I’ll never get bored of. Hearing the quality from the ‘Quine Tapes’ to them is unbelievable.

A friend of mine, (we met at a VU/Warhol themed party my then GF (sweet Jane on the radio) organized) - who was a VU fanatic before I even heard of them, died some years ago. He used to go on about the 38 minute version of ‘Sister Ray’ and he played it once and I confess I just sat and asked for more drinks.

Now it’s my go to for the real VU experience. I wish he could have lived to have heard the matrix tapes version.

Cheers Peter 😎
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

From Shindig interview with Jason, discussing the third VU album:

I went to see the film [Todd Haynes’ documentary] and I was disappointed because that album barely featured. As soon as Warhol walked off, it was just…[clicks fingers three times in quick succession] let’s get to the end!

It has been sitting on my laptop for a couple of months now without me watching it. Tried it once but after two minutes i decided i wasn't in the humour, had a feeling there might be a bit too much art-wank and not enough music. Funny 'cos i was really looking forward to it before its release.

EDIT: Just watched it. Got to agree with previous posts; a missed opportunity that should have been 4 two hour episodes. Everything post-Warhol just skimmed over, which i found quite bizarre really. Worth a look but the whole story still needs telling.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I agree that this did gloss over the post John Cale years rather quickly. It almost feels like part 1 of a documentary without part 2.
In a way, this suits me just fine though as I much prefer the first two albums. this is probably heresy but I've never rated the self titled album that much. Loaded is brilliant but it feels more like a Lou Reed solo album to me.

I didn't mind the arty bits either (long shots of faces), at least it was trying to do something a bit different with the rock doc format.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I put the 1st and 3rd albums as equally great, then the 2nd one and far behind their 4th.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Interesting! I know the third album is just as influential as the rest in its own way.. but when i look at the tracklisting it's just not got enough *great* songs on it -for me. Whereas the first two albums are wall to wall greatness.
And i still think their big bang moment and their greatest contribution to music was mixing simple rock and roll with the avant garde and noise.