Glasgow® May 05 2022

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Laz69
Known user

Glasgow® May 05 2022

Post by Laz69 »

Really can't contain my excitement at seeing them tonight 😎

Think there's a few heading along from here. Here's hoping for a stellar show!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Glasgow tonight

Post by BzaInSpace »

Just waiting on the train to Glasgow… 🚀
O P 8
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Aye looking forward to it!
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

I’ll be driving through from Edinburgh this evening. The show has almost snuck up on me, but suddenly I’m all butterflies and unable to concentrate on work, just like the previous 16 times I’ve seen them!
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

If anyone finds out the stage times, post them here please
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

The high points tonight were great, the low points were pretty dull, definitely a lot more good than bad in the set though.

I'm Coming Home Again comes too early in the set for my liking, feel like that kind of swampy blues stuff would be better in the second half. I don't know if Best Thing You Never Had was too slow or something, but it was completely anaemic and was the low point of the set for me, but Laid in Your Arms a couple of songs later was completely fantastic (and, perhaps not coincidentally, was the only point where the volume got up to a really loud level). While Soul on Fire isn't top-tier Spiritualized, there's no denying it's a crowd pleaser and the atmosphere picks up for it.

I really love the start and end sections of the show, just a couple of setlist swaps in the middle and it could have been stratospheric.
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

Here are my thoughts from last night, in no particular order:

- I loved it. My 17th time seeing Spiritualized, the most I’ve seen any act by far.

- I’m glad that I looked up setlists beforehand so I knew not to expect many old songs. Not that I wouldn’t have loved to hear them, but it meant I could embrace hearing the songs from ANH and EWB. I did go to the last Glasgow show in 2019 when they played ANH in full so in a sense I didn’t feel the same need to hear those songs again, but they were great to hear. Especially “I’m Your Man”.

- I stood on Doggen’s side for the first time. Usually I stand near the front on Jason’s side, but sometimes it means I can’t see the choir singers and I tend to focus just on Jason. I wanted to take in the whole stage this time. It worked for me. I was glad that there were no visuals, just lights and strobes. Other than the lovely Morse Code album titles for ANH songs last time, I feel that Spiritualized visuals have been pretty lacklustre, dated and unnecessary. It was particularly bad at the RAH show for SHSL, when the screen obscured what would have been a perfect backdrop of the venue itself.

- The sound was excellent. In particular, the bass. I don’t ever recall being so entranced by the bass at a Spiritualized show before. This was partly because I was watching James Stelfox more anyway, as I am forever in debt to him for chatting to us outside the previous Glasgow show, seeing that I had an album to try to get signed and inviting us backstage to hang out with Jason. Jason was so lovely and generous with his time and chat, but it wouldn’t have happened without James.

But also, WOW, what a bass player! He’s not just holding time or plodding along. Properly melodic and holding the songs together, especially when the rest of the band went white noise. Absolutely magnificent.

- “Hey Jane” to start with is always great.

- I loved that the support act who played unaccompanied free jazz (I think) on his… well, I think it was a saxophone or clarinet? Someone can enlighten me… anyway, I loved that he joined in some of the more strobe-y songs to make 10 people on stage and add some texture to the guitars and keys.

- “Shine A Light”. So predictable. In that it never, ever misses. Just wonderful as usual.

- I echo others on the board who wish that we could have heard “Always Forgetting…” and “The Mainline Song”. But the new songs from EWB were fantastic. “Laid In Your Arms” in particular. It just got bigger and heavier and strobier (not a word) and it was magnificent in every sense. It was great to hear “Let It Bleed” go on for longer than the album version, which fades out too quickly for my liking!

- From the front, I felt that the crowd was the least disruptive I think I’ve ever heard at a Spz show, in terms of not talking through it, not drowning out the music with bad singing etc.

- “Come Together” was a real crowd-pleaser. I think that it would have sounded even better coming straight after the big heavy ending to “Laid In Your Arms” - I do agree with others that have said on this tour that the ordering of the setlist is maybe a bit disjointed. But this is the most minor of quibbles. Ultimately, no Spiritualized setlist is going to be perfect unless they play for 10 hours straight to fit everything in!

- “Soul On Fire” is one of my favourite Spz songs. I have sung it to my daughters as a bedtime song for a few years, so I was delighted to hear it again. When I spoke to Jason in 2019, I told him about why that song means so much to me. He said that he used to sing “Goodnight, Goodnight” to his children when they were young, and that they didn’t know it was an actual song until years later!

- “Sail On Through” is a lovely album closer on ANH, especially as at the time it seemed like it might be his last album. I don’t think it’s quite as good as a set closer. It sounded lovely though.

- I forgot to mention, I agree with mkb above that “I’m Coming Home Again” feels like it should come later in the set. I think that would be the best set closer on this tour.

- “So Long You Pretty Thing” is one Spz song that I always think “meh” about, until I actually listen to it and it gives me goosebumps. The same last night.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the show too. I also hope there’s another tour coming soon, with a more varied setlist. But 2 hours of my favourite act playing wonderful new songs… I’ll take it.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

sharmadelica wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:15 am Here are my thoughts from last night, in no particular order:

- I loved it. My 17th time seeing Spiritualized, the most I’ve seen any act by far.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the show too. I also hope there’s another tour coming soon, with a more varied setlist. But 2 hours of my favourite act playing wonderful new songs… I’ll take it.
Lovely review - sums up my experience in Brighton last weekend, and I hope in Nottingham on Monday
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I was there last night too. I think most of the above comments echo how I feel. One thing I was glad about was the sound was way better than Ride at the same venue a week earlier. Phew! I was worried about that.

Opening three songs were great - Hey Jane, She Kissed Me, Shine a Light. Band sounded superb and the backing singers nailed it.

I agree with mkb that I'm Coming Home Again would sound better later on (or even at the very end of the set). Everyone piled into the bar/toilets when that song started. Kinda sucked the energy out of the opening triple whammy.

Part of me was thinking I didn't need to hear Perfect Miracle, I'm your Man and Here it Comes live again. But they were all very good. So a big 'hush, keep your voice down' due for me :wink:

I was sadly underwhelmed by Best Thing You Never Had having been really looking forward to it. The dirty brass on the record version was sadly missed and I don't feel like the deep dig of the underlying guitar riffs/grooves translated last night. Maybe the kinda menacing main riff was mixed too low. I dunno. Shame.

A Song was phenomenal. Lived up to my ten years of waiting to hear it live. Probably my highlight.

Would've loved Mainline Song and Always Together with You. Ah well. Even a take the 2014 version would have been welcome. But I guess the artist knows best.

Come Together was fantastic. But surely that's a song for near the start of the setlist? Just weird to hear it so near the end of the set.

I'm a sucker for Sail on Through. I especially love the backing singers during the chorus. Delicate and lovely.

the drop to near silence during The Morning After is still excellent and made my mate (not really a fan of the band and nearly zero knowledge of the catalogue) smile at how effective it was. Very cool.

Overall, great as always. I agree the set felt a bit strange and didn't seem to flow as well as it did when I saw them in 2019. But I applaud the band for playing so much new stuff and doing such a good job of it. Would've loved it to end on something a bit more noisy and wild. But I'm not one for wishing it was the 90s again so I'm cool with a band doing what they want rather than pandering to what people think they should.

And don't worry, there was a cry of 'I fuckin luv you, Jason!' at the start of Shine a Light. Seems some things never change for a Spiritualized gig :lol:
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Same as everyone else, a Spiritualized gig is always a good thing.

Really enjoyed the set list. Band showed just how good they are just now. Bass player was on particularly good form.

My only minor quibble was I felt the louder parts needed more volume. Sound was really good and very clear but just felt it needed a little more to have those parts stand out from the rest of the show.

Sail On Through was just beautiful. Such a wonderful song. Don't mind admitting there were tears of joy as that climaxed.

Superb night, and lovely to bump into James T who I haven't seen for a while. Hope you found the rest of your crowd!

Couple of pics from last night...
Screenshot_20220506_131037.jpg
Screenshot_20220506_131037.jpg (282.98 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Screenshot_20220506_131007.jpg
Screenshot_20220506_131007.jpg (333.98 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Screenshot_20220506_131208.jpg
Screenshot_20220506_131208.jpg (217.23 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Screenshot_20220506_131300.jpg
Screenshot_20220506_131300.jpg (333.18 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
Screenshot_20220506_131126.jpg
Screenshot_20220506_131126.jpg (210.75 KiB) Viewed 5553 times
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Yeah I was there too, and I'm mostly gonna echo what's already been said.
The A song was definitely my highlight - it sounded phenomenal!
My main regret is mistiming my ciggie/loo/bar break and missing The Morning After. Or rather misjudging how long it would take. (The bar being outside the venue was a plus in terms of atmosphere and quiet moments not being spoilt, but what a shitty bar compared to what I recall from gigs at the Studio. And long queues).

And I wish there was a little bit more variation in terms of back catalogue - apart from Hey Jane all of the songs from albums before ANH were played on the previous tour. And most on the tour before that too! Having said that, just when I was thinking along those lines during Come Together we got what I think was some new guitar work and I was like "actually I've not heard that version before" :D
I've never liked Soul on Fire much, and I really wish it got dropped, especially with So Long now being a staple towards the end. One of these two is enough, and I like So Long a lot more!
Sail on Through starts a bit pedestrian for me, but it just gets better and better and I loved how atmospheric it got towards the end. Gorgeous.
And I agree the flow of the setlist wasn't as good as in 2019, but 2 hours of Spiritualized and my first gig in > 2 years, I'm not gonna complain!
I also thought the band looked in very good spirits, big smiles coming on and off the stage, which was nice to see.

@sharmadelica - that was a clarinet!
sharmadelica
Known user

Post by sharmadelica »

flokie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:11 pm
@sharmadelica - that was a clarinet!
THANK YOU! I could hear him playing when I arrived and went the wrong way to the bar instead of to the venue, and I was certain it was a saxophone until I saw him! I don’t know if he’s been the support act on other shows in this tour, but he was a very welcome addition to the band. Just nine people onstage didn’t cut it, definitely needed the tenth!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

heisenberg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 pm And don't worry, there was a cry of 'I fuckin luv you, Jason!' at the start of Shine a Light. Seems some things never change for a Spiritualized gig :lol:
BZA. Again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:51 am
sunray wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:26 am
heisenberg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 pm And don't worry, there was a cry of 'I fuckin luv you, Jason!' at the start of Shine a Light. Seems some things never change for a Spiritualized gig :lol:
BZA. Again.

HAHAHA! Full write up soonish. Still in Glasgow. Back home later. Ecstatic
O P 8
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

That's reminded me that he fluffed the lines for Shine a Light (started the second verse on "when I'm lonesome as can be..."), which I thought was funny. You'd think he'd have that four line song down by now.
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: Glasgow® May 05 2022

Post by spzretent »

The differing opinions on the Dublin gig vs the Manchester gig the very next night are like night and day.
All the posts on the Spacemen 3 FB page are glowing for Manchester.
I wonder how much the venues and sound system play into this?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Second time at SWG3 in recent weeks and its fair to say its not my fav Glasgow venue, too far from city centre, wrong shape and no bar in the hall but these gripes aside it was a good night, come on its Spiritualized ffs how could it not be? A set built around the last two albums in the main and that`s fine as lockdown/covid saw to it they didn`t get much off an airing at the time, highlights were Perfect Miracle, Here It Comes and The Morning After from ANH. The new songs from EWB all sounded great to me with The A Song coming in with a particular roof lifting heft, visceral even. Saw most of the set from the front then caught the last 4 tracks from nearer the back, I had to move, at almost two hrs and a concrete floor my back was f#'kin` killing me by this point - I guess that`s the play off between a seated and standing venue but give me the concrete floor and sore back any night of the week :lol:
The band were as fine as I can remember, James Stelfox on bass was particularly enjoying himself, Doggen doing some neat harmonica and J was in as good a voice as I can remember. An almost sold out crowd would mostly concur I think, no sign of any mid set lulls or whatever which over a set this long is a neat trick. Only grumble was the merch was a bit underwhelming putting it mildly, if finances are tight they are missing a trick here, had £50 in my pocket and it stayed there, nothing to spend it on :(

Edit: Forgot to add, was surprised to hear gripes about Best Thing You Never Had, on the night it sounded like a head nodding, driving/ kraut, road tune , I think layering it in guitar would have lost that effect, just my two penneth
Last edited by niamhm on Mon May 09, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Yep interesting to see the different views. Sorry to hear its been a miss for some people, after all this wait for new shows.
For me Birmingham was a good show but not a great one.
Sound quality and volume would certainly feed into it I reckon. Plus general mood etc and ability to connect with the newer tunes. The thing about Spiritualized is that because there's no audience banter or showmanship, it really does come down to the x factor and if it clicks or not.

I know the feeling that people have expressed where you feel detached from a show and it's like they are playing behind a curtain. The music is kind of happening "over there" but not enveloping you or connecting. I've had it with other bands. Yo La Tengo being the most recent one I can recall.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:09 pm
I know the feeling that people have expressed where you feel detached from a show and it's like they are playing behind a curtain. The music is kind of happening "over there" but not enveloping you or connecting. I've had it with other bands. Yo La Tengo being the most recent one I can recall.
I think this contributed to me not enjoying the Gateshead gig much. I know that it is usual for Spz to be set up as they were but it felt very insular and for me, there was a barrier between them and the crowd. Gateshead Sage has the abilty to remove the first few rows of seats and I feel that layout would have been better. The only comparison I can make was when I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Newcastle and they did the insular stage formation too. I love NY and CH but absolutely hated that gig. It felt self-indulgent and as if they didn't want to interact.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spzretent wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:10 pm The differing opinions on the Dublin gig vs the Manchester gig the very next night are like night and day.
I've seen some stupendous gigs in the Olympia over the past 30 years with no sound issues whatsoever. Two of my all time fave Mogwai gigs were in there, back when they were really bringing the noise. An amazing full-on rock n roll Primal Scream set, Stereolab, Low etc.. So i dunno really.
It seemed like a lacklustre performance. I think it was just one of those nights :cry:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spzretent wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:10 pm The differing opinions on the Dublin gig vs the Manchester gig the very next night are like night and day.
I was thinking the same thing about sound systems. After reading some of the recent reviews on here, I'm much more excited about the September US leg of the tour. And one of the videos posted yesterday restored my faith in the wall of strobes :twisted:
I think I feel it coming on
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The strobes, huh?

The strobes!!

On The Glorious® 5th day of May:

My soul was Spiritualized® once again…

What can I say? It was an eventful 72 hours in Sick City for a start. Long missed catch-ups with beautiful friends, in one particular example, for the first time in 15 years or so.

Anyway, - a good pal of mine who works for The National Health like me… had never seen this band before or otherwise - and totally/extremely enjoyed it! I may have changed her life…

She was the very glamourous woman shouting out for “one more tune” at the end of the show. And got me into the front space with surprising ease…

So many good bits at that show:

It was loud when it needed to be. Otherwise the so called ballads did what the needed to do. I must confess I was vibing this whole thing vicariously at times, and other times suddenly realizing I was in the best place on earth, again, and the sheer good will and luck this was still a thing…

This shit never lets me down.

Here’s a few examples why:

https://youtu.be/R91PBafi_yk

Strobes carnage, and then that kill off. Apparently me and Laz were next to each other - some of the time - I think he’s got a recording that started where that abruptly closes. I really wish I’d recorded more but I didn’t want to be that guy… like ok I’m not already?

Get what Sunray was talking about the noise of the crowd in Dublin…. Sorry pal, check this, a fucking Glasgow crowd… I couldn’t believe they let this go silent…https://youtu.be/NxPj7SD-vqo

And there’s this!

https://youtu.be/WRQfzKaJ45E

Link Wray S/T album. The bass was notably amazing, like others have mentioned - anyway the whole thing here is channeling that vibe casually suddenly incendiary vibe. “LA DE DA”!

I loved it all; I fucking needed it, 3 yearly depot of live Spiritualized® medication. Done!

‘A song’ was unreal! That ferocious part at the end Laid In your arms!

For all the lovely women in Glasgow who treated me well: 😍🚀🔥 I salute you! What a gig, what a 3 days.
It took 3 days to get over it! HAHA!

“That was a clarinet”?

And it was an amazing clarinet…

Also! Kevin! It was ace to meet you briefly outside!!
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:50 am
https://youtu.be/R91PBafi_yk

Strobes carnage, and then that kill off. Apparently me and Laz were next to each other 😀😀😀 he’s got a recording that started where that finished ! (In fact ii thinks he’s the fella on the left 😳)
Having now seen your clip, i'm afraid i was much further down on the right-hand side. This is one of my pics. Probably only a smattering of people in front of us before the barrier.
ScreenHunter_ 3403 May. 11 16.54.jpg
ScreenHunter_ 3403 May. 11 16.54.jpg (298.56 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Next time you are down in Glasgow and free for a pint, let me know and we'll make it happen :D
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Absolutely - although check the last clip above - I was totally down at the front with lots of space in the end - started off midway.

Here’s the thing though. 100s of people in that Glasgow gig. The crowd reaction was amazing. I’ve never seen J Spaceman raise his hands in the air like that and look like he was having the best time - like pure post lockdown victory. Expand that to the tours…

A life long pal of mine I only ever meet these days at the Spiritualized shows… when I met her and her pals the next days she voiced she had no knowledge of this forum.

I think it’s easy - as I said to ro the other night - that we have this tiny bubble where it’s all important regarding set lists and guitar choices and lyrics etc

I’m just glad that so many people outwith here are really into this music.

Finally, I’m astonished the show was £20 cheaper than the last show in Glasgow 2019. Spiritualized® is legit the only band touring who are playing with the same setup but charging you less.

There’s a drug metaphor there somewhere…
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:22 pm Absolutely - although check the last clip above - I was totally down at the front with lots of space in the end - started off midway.
The two guys taking selfies of themselves in that clip were just to my right. Maybe the younger generation really are digging J Spaceman too! :lol:
BzaInSpace wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:22 pm Here’s the thing though. 100s of people in that Glasgow gig. The crowd reaction was amazing. I’ve never seen J Spaceman raise his hands in the air like that and look like he was having the best time - like pure post lockdown victory. Expand that to the tours…
I noticed J smiling during a few of the songs. I like to think he enjoys playing in Glasgow as he always gets a good turnout/response from the crowd. Not saying we're better than any other crowd, but there is something unique about it...

"WE LOVE YOU JAAAAASOOOOON!!!!!" :lol:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

The first Spiritualized gig ever was in King Tuts in 1990? I think?

It’s always been a celebratory affair in those parts for sure, but I was very late to the boat in comparison.

The crowd, as you say Laz, couldn’t have been more loving it or ecstatic. The reverence was palpable. What an atmosphere… ‘Jack White’ (not his real name, and former prolific poster) once said here that

“Being at a Spiritualized gig is the best place on Earth”

Or words to that affect.

So true. It’s ace to just be in the moment when all this music comes down at you. Perfect.
O P 8