Nottingham 9th May

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

SpEnCeR1
Known user

Nottingham 9th May

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Woah. Just been Spiritualized. That was amazing despite reading concerns raised from earlier shows.

Am quite stoned on some nice grass, but that was awesome loved all the tunes apart from the bass cutout in A Song (of all tunes!)
Last edited by SpEnCeR1 on Mon May 09, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: Nottingham 9th May

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Go as far to say ooooh 3rd best time I seen em. Bassist...whut a dude
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Jason appeared to be smiling a lot too. I don't remember that being a feature of previous shows
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

morning after less stoned observations.

really liked the reworking of D song , was quite different to the album but i liked the 'space age' feel.
let it bleed with the extended outro had me almost laughing with joy.
coming home again, my least fave on the album was fucking great live , with meltdown and lovely keyboard work towards the end.
enjoyed the ANH tunes live which i havent experienced , wish theyd done on the sunshine though. but i thought i'm your man , the road and sail on through were pretty great....much better live as much i love the studio versions.
half way thru the A song something went wrong and the sound went a bit weird, loss of bass that only kicked back in at the end which was a real shame, but apart from that loved the slick space age gospel blues space rock feel of the gig. maybe would've like a few more decibels but nothing to really grumble about.

fantastic lightshow.

some skronking sax on the morning after would've been great actually.

gospel singers were great, bassist is a beast. great work from him, seemed to be playing lead quite a bit of the time.

was miles better than the last 2 times i saw them back in 2008 and 2010, might be a bit over enthusiastic but felt it was almost on a par with my first live experience in 1994 ... but that couldve been the weed.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it SpEnCeR. I feel like I'm going against the grain a bit enjoying these gigs so much. I felt last night was just as good as Brighton (which I thought was fantastic). I personally feel the setlist is a great spread of songs and balance of dynamics. I do miss the extended wig-out at the end, but conversely I love the '1..2..3..4..!' start to the set.

That was a real shame about the bass end of the rig dropping out during Laid In Your Arms, as that is the peak of intensity of that setlist. But woah, when it kicked back in just before the bit that makes you think it's going to segue into TMTTOS, that was bliss. Shame it didn't last for a few more minutes. Kev was battering those drums! (Which was also great considering how delicate his style is).

And the strobes. I love the strobes.

It's a fascinating demographic at Spiritualized gigs these days (quite (small-c) conservative and straight-edge). I guess it's a lot of us 50-something 90's indie-kids who've grown up.

So I wonder when/if they'll tour the UK again?
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am Glad to hear you enjoyed it SpEnCeR. I feel like I'm going against the grain a bit enjoying these gigs so much. I felt last night was just as good as Brighton (which I thought was fantastic). I personally feel the setlist is a great spread of songs and balance of dynamics. I do miss the extended wig-out at the end, but conversely I love the '1..2..3..4..!' start to the set.

That was a real shame about the bass end of the rig dropping out during Laid In Your Arms, as that is the peak of intensity of that setlist. But woah, when it kicked back in just before the bit that makes you think it's going to segue into TMTTOS, that was bliss. Shame it didn't last for a few more minutes. Kev was battering those drums! (Which was also great considering how delicate his style is).

And the strobes. I love the strobes.

It's a fascinating demographic at Spiritualized gigs these days (quite (small-c) conservative and straight-edge). I guess it's a lot of us 50-something 90's indie-kids who've grown up.

So I wonder when/if they'll tour the UK again?

Hey dude! I'm not yet 50! But yeah fantastic show for me and I saw them alot in the '90's. I was worried about how it was going to go but actually liked the slickness of it and I've had my doubts about his newer bands for a while; since I last saw them live a decade or so ago but last night really restored my faith in them and as much as I like the newer tunes through my stereo they sounded miles better live.

When will they tour again ?? ASAP. Hope he's got another few albums worth in him.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am It's a fascinating demographic at Spiritualized gigs these days (quite (small-c) conservative and straight-edge). I guess it's a lot of us 50-something 90's indie-kids who've grown up.
Never thought i'd see a bunch of fat, bald, middle-aged men described as fascinating! Very few young folks at Spiritualized gigs these days.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am Hey dude! I'm not yet 50! But yeah fantastic show for me and I saw them alot in the '90's. I was worried about how it was going to go but actually liked the slickness of it and I've had my doubts about his newer bands for a while; since I last saw them live a decade or so ago but last night really restored my faith in them and as much as I like the newer tunes through my stereo they sounded miles better live.

When will they tour again ?? ASAP. Hope he's got another few albums worth in him.
By 'us', I obvs meant 'me' :lol:

I've subjected a lot of my friends to Spiritualized through a stereo over the years, and they have a lightbulb moment when they see them live. When they then go back to listen to the recorded stuff it makes sense. I hope there are a few more albums in him. Walking past the Rescue Rooms on the way back to the car park made me think it would be great to see them in slightly smaller venues next time, for a higher intensity hit.

Yeah, they are a really tight machine now. When the backing singers launch into "Shine A Light" - sends shivers down my spine. Everyone has picked up on James Stelfox's bass playing - fantastic. And is it me, or did whoever does the lighting pick out members of the band at various points (almost like a 'solo')? Keyboards helped lift the whole sound, not just filling in - there were some nice 'hammondy' bits too. Kev and Doggen are legends - nice to see Kev milling about in the foyer before the show - I guess that's a home gig for them. So tempted to go to the Roundhouse tonight... (I can't justify it. I really can't. Just you watch - they'll have a full choir and orchestra, and they'll bring back The Mainline Song and Always Together With You. And finish with a 20 minute version of Oh Happy Day...)
Last edited by Spiby on Tue May 10, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:20 am
By 'us', I obvs meant 'me' :lol:

I've subjected a lot of my friends to Spiritualized through a stereo over the years, and they have a lightbulb moment when they see them live. When they then go back to listen to the recorded stuff it makes sense. I hope there are a few more albums in him. Walking past the Rescue Rooms on the way back to the car park made me think it would be great to see them in slightly smaller venues next time, for a higher intensity hit.
the Rescue Rooms is such a great venue. it would be a very intense Spiritualized hit in there for sure. :D
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

the Rescue Rooms is such a great venue. it would be a very intense Spiritualized hit in there for sure. :D
I saw Django Django in there. I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away. Spiritualized were there a couple of weeks later, but when I went to book, they were sold out. Bah!
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 am
I saw Django Django in there. I wasn't expecting much, but was blown away. Spiritualized were there a couple of weeks later, but when I went to book, they were sold out. Bah!
seen loads in there but And You Know Us By The Trail Of Dead twice and BJM twice, DKT are the ones that immediately spring to mind. great great times.

what year was Spiritualized?
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am seen loads in there but And You Know Us By The Trail Of Dead twice and BJM twice, DKT are the ones that immediately spring to mind. great great times.

what year was Spiritualized?
I had to google it - 16th March 2012.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritua ... wsource=cl

I thought 'd seen them in Leeds a few days before - with Roy and the Devil's Motorcycle supporting. Having said that, in Leeds they definitely did D Song and A Perfect Miracle - none of which appear on the Rescue Rooms setlist, and we know how much they love to mix up the setlist during a tour...

Ah - just checked, that was November 2012. So now I'm wondering where I saw them in Spring 2012. I didn't, the previous gig for me was Leamington Assembly in 2011. Looking at setlist.fm they did a LOT of dates in 2012 - 67 in all.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

sunray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:11 am Never thought i'd see a bunch of fat, bald, middle-aged men described as fascinating! Very few young folks at Spiritualized gigs these days.
Very few young folks, and quite a lot I would say were older than me - in their 60's (Mrs S included :)). And not just men (...er Mrs S included :lol:). Looking in the foyer, if someone had said it was a regular theatre-type night I woudn't have been surprised.

Having said that - I am fat, bald(ing) and middle-aged. :D
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:54 am Looking in the foyer, if someone had said it was a regular theatre-type night I woudn't have been surprised.
Sounds like the punters who were in the theatre foyer where Dreamweapon was recorded are actually now Jason's audience!

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:11 am
Spiby wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am It's a fascinating demographic at Spiritualized gigs these days (quite (small-c) conservative and straight-edge). I guess it's a lot of us 50-something 90's indie-kids who've grown up.
Never thought i'd see a bunch of fat, bald, middle-aged men described as fascinating! Very few young folks at Spiritualized gigs these days.
I had my 20yr old with me, her second Spiritualized show and I did notice few other youngster ones there, I wouldn`t say it was 50/50 but also plenty women as well, I would say if anything its the " monged out" lot that are on the wane
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

niamhm wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:53 pm
sunray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:11 am
I had my 20yr old with me, her second Spiritualized show and I did notice few other youngster ones there, I wouldn`t say it was 50/50 but also plenty women as well, I would say if anything its the " monged out" lot that are on the wane
I had my 76 year old dad with me AND I was monged out so all bases covered :-)
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hope your dad enjoyed it, would love to get mine along to one,
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

niamhm wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:29 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope your dad enjoyed it, would love to get mine along to one,

He loved it. His first spiritualized gig. He was gawping in wonder after the opening 1,2,3
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My fiance and I were there and really enjoyed it! Beautiful theater and the sound was great. The least amount of people out of the 4 shows we went to though. They passed out kind of standard 11"x17" posters for the show afterwards.

Nice venue and nice town!