Brian Jonestown Massacre

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

eelnekwah
Known user

Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by eelnekwah »

I find myself on the precipice of disappearing down the Jonestown rabbit hole . Really unsure how I've managed to not cross paths with their mountain of work up to this point in my life (54 years) - but I have . Perhaps It had something to do with reading about Anton not being the most pleasant of characters sometimes . Who knows ? Anyway ..... seperate the artist from the art
I've recently pre ordered the upcoming Tess Parks lp , and having a bit more on vouchers to spend , also ordered the Tess Parks and Anton Newcombe S/T lp ( which I skimmed over on you tube to get a feel for . And liked the sound they produce)
I also have all of The Third Sound lps , which I'm sure a lot know is Hakon's side project band . Who have also collaborated with Tess .
So I think it's fair to say I like the sound of Brian Jonestown etc , and have been dipping in and out on youtube to get a feel.
With a rather daunting back catalogue to choose from , is there a certain period the sits above the rest? Any must have lps? Any that perhaps aren't as good? Any good collaboration's?
Looking for recommendations to get me going . Thank you
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Hola

Start with Tepid Peppermint Wonderland which is a decent intro to early stuff altho there are some corking tunes missed off. For me Give It Back is the classic early years album.

I think after Dig! There was a bit of a mid career slump but since the release of Aufherben ( a great album imo ) there has been a bit of a renaissance. Revelation which followed that is pretty good, as is Third World Pyramid altho the last 2 or 3 albums have some great tunes on they are mixed a bit too LOUD.

There's also a lot of pastiche in the early years. Some more successful than others, I think Anton has developed more of their own sound in the last 10 years or so
Last edited by SpEnCeR1 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

I think all their albums have at least 2/3 really good tunes but some are more weighed down with filler / chaff than others . Bravery Repetition Noise , Who Killed Sgt Pepper, And This Is Our Music for example. Satanic Majesties 2nd starts great but gets boring quickly as does the "electronic one" Don't Get Lost. Loads of good stuff to discover and yea there's some good live sessions on YouTube.

Good Luck!
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

A belated thank you for your recommendations Spencer. You've given me some valuable insight there.
Tepid Peppermint Wonderland sure is an expansive compilation of work . I'll be searching the two volumes out .
Sounds like Aufherben will be the jumping in point for me - then onwards from there , and see where I go .
:D :D
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

And there's a new album soon, fingers crossed it's a corker. Loads of new tunes went up on YouTube last year and they were pretty decent in the main :)

If you get chance go see them live. I know they can be patchy but maybe I got lucky but I've seen them 5 times and they always put on a really good show.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Large Euro tour late this yr and early next includes a regular stop off at Glasgow Barrowland but also the next night at Edinburgh La Belle Angel, much smaller venue, got my interest well piqued for that one
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 pm Large Euro tour late this yr and early next includes a regular stop off at Glasgow Barrowland but also the next night at Edinburgh La Belle Angel, much smaller venue, got my interest well piqued for that one
Wasn't aware they were touring this part of the world. Just checked and there's a Dublin date in February, so thanks for that Gary.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
ibex1251
Known user

Post by ibex1251 »

niamhm wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:48 pm Large Euro tour late this yr and early next includes a regular stop off at Glasgow Barrowland but also the next night at Edinburgh La Belle Angel, much smaller venue, got my interest well piqued for that one

Thank you for the heads up... Sorted for Edinburgh!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

You're in for a treat, they sounded fantastic in Detroit
I think I feel it coming on
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

And a stop in Falmouth also .... no venturing across the counties for a change :D
No better timing for me , for this tour to be announced , as I'm just now dipping my toes .
ibex1251
Known user

Post by ibex1251 »

New album 'Fire Doesn't Grow On Trees' out today... sounding good so far.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

ibex1251 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:19 am New album 'Fire Doesn't Grow On Trees' out today... sounding good so far.
Had a listen today, not bad at all. Usual BJM tropes but done well. I doubt any fans would be disappointed.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Had a few listens the last two days and going to stick my neck out and say its the best since Revelation, sounds way more immediate than the last 3 at least to me
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Also enjoying the new album, had it on quite a few times over the last few days. I read somewhere that it's the first record in a while where the band play on it. If that's the case then I think you can tell - especially the drums. They sound great on this, whereas they've usually been pretty basic on the more recent recordings.

Ste