"Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TwilightGarden
New user

Re: "Everything was beautiful" - New Spiritualized® Album 2022

Post by TwilightGarden »

nghst wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 am Great interview and live sessions: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510008/wor ... -from-wxpn
Thanks for sharing, that live session was outstanding.. especially 'Let it Bleed'
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

nghst wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:08 am Great interview and live sessions: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510008/wor ... -from-wxpn
Is any kind soul able to separate and rip the tunes to MP3 or flac?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Cheers. Really love the vocal tone of the woman that is driving this. A session? Thanks for the tip. Gonna record it for sure.
White__Light
Known user

Post by White__Light »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:23 pm
I plan on ripping the live tracks later today. Happy to share once it’s done.
White__Light
Known user

Post by White__Light »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:23 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52w8mv2o1pux ... _jhva?dl=0
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

thank you so much for this!

I think this version of always together is beautiful and would've loved to have heard it live.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

okay but the way the host says "spiRITualized"

ah, this version of Let It Bleed is nice
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Awesome. Great job thank you
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

heisenberg wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:59 pm There's a Catie thanked in the album credits. Perhaps it's the same person?
You're probably right. It's a fairly unusual spelling. Still curious who that may be though.

Overall I am undecided whether this album is better than And Nothing Hurt yet. It's difficult not to see them as two parts of that proposed double album. Such similar production. ANH has more naff songs on it but EWB seems so damn short.
Still, as a twosome the best work since LICD for me.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

angel-sighs wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:39 pm
Overall I am undecided whether this album is better than And Nothing Hurt yet. It's difficult not to see them as two parts of that proposed double album. Such similar production. ANH has more naff songs on it but EWB seems so damn short.
Wha....?! There's no naff songs on ANH!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

EWB boxset finally arrived. All in one piece too, no seam splits or popped pill packs. Quite a tight fit, leaving little room for movement in transit. I actually had trouble removing everything but i see this as a good thing. All in all, far more impressive in the flesh and i'm glad i bought it :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

sunray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:10 pm EWB boxset finally arrived. All in one piece too, no seam splits or popped pill packs. Quite a tight fit, leaving little room for movement in transit. I actually had trouble removing everything but i see this as a good thing. All in all, far more impressive in the flesh and i'm glad i bought it :D
Woo-hoo! Nice one Sunray. Enjoy!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

sunray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:10 pm EWB boxset finally arrived. All in one piece too, no seam splits or popped pill packs. Quite a tight fit, leaving little room for movement in transit. I actually had trouble removing everything but i see this as a good thing. All in all, far more impressive in the flesh and i'm glad i bought it :D
Good! Maybe this’ll cheer you up a bit…
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BzaInSpace wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Touching. Nothing hurts you like the pain of someone you care about.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Haha!
O P 8
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

sunray wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:44 am
Touching. Nothing hurts you like the pain of someone you care about.
Reply of the year! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

anyone else noticed how this album REALLY comes alive went sent direct down the ear canal via ear/headphones yet ??

sounds amazing can make a lot more detail out.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

I've found another radio session - Vic Galloway, BBC Radio Scotland, broadcast 4th May 2022. I couldn't find it posted on this messageboard.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016x7s

The DJ says the two tracks (Always Together With You; Crazy) were recorded at Spiritualized's rehearsal space in Nottingham.

You can listen to the programme online at the link above (Spz start at 1.44.30)

Or I've captured and extracted the two songs (without re-encoding, I think) here:
https://mega.nz/file/qlVXVDLC#Gody96M_q ... lYVVSVh6CI
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

SpEnCeR1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:15 am
Ha! Each to their own i guess. Think I've made clear my feelings on Here It Comes and Damaged elsewhere. I keep going back and forth on I'm Your Man too. Some days i like it a lot though. I don't skip them though, still always listen through so its not too bad!
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Jebus Sabes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm I've found another radio session - Vic Galloway, BBC Radio Scotland, broadcast 4th May 2022. I couldn't find it posted on this messageboard.

The DJ says the two tracks (Always Together With You; Crazy) were recorded at Spiritualized's rehearsal space in Nottingham.

Or I've captured and extracted the two songs (without re-encoding, I think) here:
Great find, thanks! Live version of Crazy? Interesting. Must mean they rehearsed it but wasn't deemed to make the cut for the actual set.
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

angel-sighs wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 pm
Ha! Each to their own i guess. Think I've made clear my feelings on Here It Comes and Damaged elsewhere. I keep going back and forth on I'm Your Man too. Some days i like it a lot though. I don't skip them though, still always listen through so its not too bad!
I've grown to love those tunes, I saw you describe here it comes as 'jaunty' I suppose it's the only jaunty tune he's written although I see it more of JJ Cale type groove with Doggens gorgeous licks rippling through it. It's ace , a current favourite. I can't see a bad track on either ANH or EWB. (Although yeah...Mainline Song should be much longer)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Jebus Sabes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm I've found another radio session - Vic Galloway, BBC Radio Scotland, broadcast 4th May 2022. I couldn't find it posted on this messageboard.

Thanks for this also. Vic Galloway? I barely play radio these days, so glad this shit still happens.
O P 8
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yes well done folks, I live in Scotland and had no idea they were on Vic`s show, in this social media age that`s a bit mental considering how much time I spend on it each day :shock:
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

I just can't get over how much I like this album. Really wonderful.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Has this been posted here already before? https://youtu.be/r7lBOKkMCKU

Official live performance video of Spiritualized's "I'm Coming Home Again".

https://youtu.be/r7lBOKkMCKU
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I reckon the songs played on NPR and the Vic Galloway shows are the exact same rehearsal room recordings?
Makes sense as a good way to promote the album with having more control over the sound and not having to go up and down the country i guess.
Pretty cool to get 2 songs that aren't actually on the current setlist. Always Together With You perhaps doesn't have the weight of the album version but still sounds fine to me. Bring it back Jason!

So we now have good quality live versions of 4 of the 7 tracks?
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

You know, I think you're right. Comparing the NPR and Radio Scotland versions of the two songs, it's hard to hear any differences.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

Let it Bleed is the best thing that’s happened to me in a long time. it’s now settled in with my top four Spzd favorites ever.
Thank you for this.

the whole record feels woven together, every strand infused with forethought yet also with a way of letting it breathe. this was clearly made by someone who knows exactly what they want from every single moment

A Song is cathartic. Last summer was hellish, yesterday was hellish… here in the states I mean. And to have these words to yell out and scream out with this vicious riff… It’s helpful

drawing upon moments from your past and plopping them down in the present is deeply compelling and I can’t stop thinking about the concept. I love where each reference is placed and why. of course i don’t know the “why” of it, but each rings with, “i’m putting this sound in this spot because of this deeply personal reason“ and it’s like reading coded love letters from the war

Always Together... and Mainline Song are just godsends, simple as that

i’ve listened to maybe six or seven things in the past four years and I’m so glad this is one of them

ps
I love Crazy

and I’m also in the “I wish I’m Coming Home Again wasn’t the last song” camp… But I can see how it mirrors Cop Shoot Cop. and the more I listen to it the more every layer of it makes sense
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I think I'm Coming Home Again is natural as closing track. Where else would it have fit? Can't imagine it elsewhere.

For me, in an ideal world both Mainline Song and Laid In Your Arms would be a few minutes longer, and it would be a nice 50 minute album.
rbuk20
Known user

Post by rbuk20 »

I completely agree. I was pleasantly surprised to find that EWB (lyrically and musically) right up in the rarified air of LGM and Ladies and Gent.

I just reread Slaughterhouse Five and completely forgot that Vonnegut describes a lot of things as being pink. I’d like to think that is why Jason went with that for the colored vinyl.

That would have been a lot better question when I ran into him in Santa Cruz instead of me babbling like some tweaker. I guess I should start carrying around some Spiritualized related questions just in case :)
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Wonderful wonderful album! A real grower too and lots of details that reveal themselves on repeat listens. I love listening to it in the car really really loud.

Although at first I found Mainline Song a bit underwhelming, I've grown to love it dearly. To me it's the ultimate mix of Pet Sounds/Smile era Beach Boys and Spacemen 3:) A glorious tune. As others have noted, it could easily have been five minutes longer. Hope it gets back on the setlist. Around the 3-minute mark: Is it the sound of running water? Anyone else noticed it?

I was skeptical about Crazy, but it has won me over. Fantastic country tune, and that steel guitar before the final chorus gets me every time I hear it. Nice guitar details in there, too.

A Song was all I hoped it would be, and such a surprise compared to the raw renditions live around 2011-12. As for the other songs, I love them.

Overall a great album, and I really appreciate how Jason is somehow looking back, acknowledging his past work. Everything is indeed beautiful :D
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

I think I mentioned somewhere else that I prefer the old live versions of Here it Comes. That said I do very much like the album version too.

I'll throw this out there though - I'm Your Man shocked me, and not in a good way. I was very surprised (and a bit gutted) it was a single. I've even considered it my least favourite Spiritualized track. It's just too normal/boring/mainstream rock. He would NEVER have allowed a guitar solo like that on any of the first 5 or 6 albums. But I've mellowed a bit now and actually kind of like it... a little.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 pm

I think I mentioned somewhere else that I prefer the old live versions of Here it Comes. That said I do very much like the album version too.

I'll throw this out there though - I'm Your Man shocked me, and not in a good way. I was very surprised (and a bit gutted) it was a single. I've even considered it my least favourite Spiritualized track. It's just too normal/boring/mainstream rock. He would NEVER have allowed a guitar solo like that on any of the first 5 or 6 albums. But I've mellowed a bit now and actually kind of like it... a little.
I'm Your Man gives me a southern soul vibe with those horns but I think it works much better live, the chorus was belted out last week. Really dynamic , the gospel singers coming in really loud and really elevating it
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Billy_Whizz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 pm

I thought the live version of Here is Comes on this tour was really rushed, and no way as good as previous live versions. Likewise perfect Miracle.
I have a spiritualized mix in the car for the kids and on it is a lovely live chamber version of Perfect Miracle from years and years ago and consensus is its way better than the album version or the way they played it on this tour.

I also share the misgivings about I'm Your Man, but it was ok live.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Also for humour, I expect a live review from the Spectator is a first https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/im- ... e-reviewed

Too many stupidities to catalogue. Was he even at the Roundhouse, or at Brighton? :lol:
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Finally bought the LP a few days ago and only now got the chance to listen to it. Lots have been said already, so I'll keep it brief...Yes, like it. Strong songs that fit and flow. I would change a couple of minor things but, hey, that's because I'm a perfectionist :D and have been spoiled with Jase's previous efforts. This stands up though, I think. Weird listening to songs at the gig before I'd ever heard them from a recording but they each do each other justice.

I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with this. I think we're going to be friends.

LP sounded decent, so cheers for that. Shame that the re-issue debacle stopped me from stretching for the ltd edition. Note to SPZ management...maybe now go back and get decent represses done of those, huh? Vinyl Me Please version of PP? I'm still pissed at how that turned out.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

Spz added "Let It Bleed" to the youtube channel, looks in the vein of "I'm Coming Home Again"; I haven't watched it yet because my roommate is KO'ed and I'm considerate like that:

https://youtu.be/1ywy95_iTsc
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

aadamm wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:23 am Spz added "Let It Bleed" to the youtube channel, looks in the vein of "I'm Coming Home Again"; I haven't watched it yet because my roommate is KO'ed and I'm considerate like that:

https://youtu.be/1ywy95_iTsc
If Kev was any more laid back, he'd fall off his stool. Love him.

Great extended rendition.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

This is beautiful. I only wish the extended part had gone on longer…

‘Lay it down…’

Not long back from an incendiary weekend in the outer reaches of Glasgow. Older posters here may remember ORBITAL, who I met in person in bizarre circumstances at Edinburgh 2006 acoustic mainlines. Well, he and his lovely wife had an amazing wedding yesterday. To be honest, I’m still coming down from that.
O P 8
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I remember Orbital. Many congratulations on his wedding. I love a good wedding. Sadly not been to one in many years.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 pm Not long back from an incendiary weekend in the outer reaches of Glasgow. Older posters here may remember ORBITAL, who I met in person in bizarre circumstances at Edinburgh 2006 acoustic mainlines. Well, he and his lovely wife had an amazing wedding yesterday. To be honest, I’m still coming down from that.
Ah, congratulations to Orbital. I miss his rather amusing posts. I was there too on that rather bizarre night in Edinburgh and can confirm he's one hell of a character.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I like the live and extended version of Let It Bleed. Probably the same audio as played on the radio session.
Would definitely be cool to get live versions of the whole album.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

they added another one:

https://youtu.be/avQJiLXKBtk
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

aadamm wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:38 am they added another one:

I like it, great to hear a live version. But at the same time I can see why it quite didn't make the set. There almost seems to be a hole in the middle of the sound
There's a lot to try and capture on the song.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

aadamm wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:38 am they added another one:

I think this sounds amazing. The bass is absolutely superb here. The vibe seems to be more raw as opposed to the album version which is lush and upbeat. Still hopeful I'll get to hear a live performance of it someday.

Guitar geek question- at the very end we get a brief glimpse of Doggen's board. I could be wrong here, but does he have one of those Acid Fuzz Sonic Boom pedals on there? My knowledge of pedals anywhere past 2010 is pretty limited so there is a chance I am completely wide of the mark.
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

According to Farrow the artwork for EWB has been nominated for a Grammy.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I'm a bit miffed that EWB hasn't gotten many year end accolades. I think this album is on par with all the other Spiritualized albums and should be recognized as among the best music projects of 2022.
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

nghst wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am I'm a bit miffed that EWB hasn't gotten many year end accolades. I think this album is on par with all the other Spiritualized albums and should be recognized as among the best music projects of 2022.
Agreed - I've been surprised and annoyed too, even though I hate arbitrary lists.
- ...if you've got a lonely heart too...

- Come on baby, stop your crying

- Don't wanna live, but I can't resist

- I would rather add some life to my years
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Also surprised to not see it pop up.
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Finally EWB gets what it deserves, a top ten finish. https://metro.co.uk/2022/12/21/the-top- ... -17969837/
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

nghst wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:29 am I'm a bit miffed that EWB hasn't gotten many year end accolades. I think this album is on par with all the other Spiritualized albums and should be recognized as among the best music projects of 2022.
Also a bit miffed at this. I did a quick search for the usual end of years polls the other day and was surprised it wasn't higher in the ones it was in, and surprised it didn't even feature in others. It's not as if it was under the radar, it was a top 10 album in the UK. And I think it's one of the best Spiritualized albums.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY
Spacekadet
Known user

Post by Spacekadet »

It's been said before but it bears repeating: can't believe this didn't feature in, if not top, more end-of-year lists. It was in Iggy's on 6Music. I dunno, maybe my understanding of what's popular is fading along with my memory these days. I mean, I'm younger than the others in my pub quiz team, but then they look to me expectantly for post-2010 music questions I just stare back blankly. This and ANH are absolutely up there for me with Pure Phase and you-know-what.

Happy New Year, friends.
White__Light
Known user

Post by White__Light »

Manchester show in September 2023 just announced:

https://dice.fm/partner/new-century-hal ... i51s4uAAAA
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

White__Light wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:19 pm Manchester show in September 2023 just announced:

https://dice.fm/partner/new-century-hal ... i51s4uAAAA
Interesting. Surely if a tour was in the offing they'd announce it all at once? Yet, a one-off (i'm assuming non-festival) UK show seems very odd.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Warm up of the full set before they head back to the US after a string of festival dates I'm assuming.

Hoping to get tickets, saw the Black Angels there the other month, fantastic venue.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

It's a few weeks before the US tour so i am still holding out hope that more UK dates will be slotted in there? Why would you have a warm up date then have more time to get rusty again. Possibly wishful thinking
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

£40 a ticket seems a bit steep.
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Venkman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:32 am £40 a ticket seems a bit steep.
£35 + booking fees tbf, but still ended up costing me £81 for 2 tickets as I used the Dice app when See Tickets (£1 cheaper per ticket) chucked me into a queue :evil: :D
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Just heard Always Together With You soundtracking a National Lottery advert! Hopefully got a nice little payday out of that.