What gigs have you just been to?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Shinesalight
Known user

Re: What gigs have you just been to?

Post by Shinesalight »

sunray wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am Earthless - Whelans, Dublin: Better than a dinner with the missus.
All depends… are we talking fine dining or take away fish and chips??!! :wink:

I’m gutted as was meant to be seeing them in Brighton on Thursday but it got cancelled due to poor ticket sales.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Guess who's now going to see Earthless????

:D 8) :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Laz69 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:37 pm Guess who's now going to see Earthless????

:D 8) :lol:
Proper order! :D

First time in Dublin last night and my first time seeing them. They're some musicians that's for sure, the drummer is an absolute powerhouse. Played all of the new album and a one song encore (it was a cover but i couldn't make out who Isaiah said it was by) for a total of just under 90mins.
The only part i felt dragged was the bit where it's mostly drums with some atmospheric guitar noodling over the top, but i also find that section a bit of a drag on the album too.
Surprisingly little merch, just new album on vinyl/cd, How The West Was Won cd and a few t-shirts all, rather frustratingly, in black (they had some nice brighter colour ones on their website and was hoping to pick one up).
Maida Vale were ok, more psych than i expected but too clean a sound for me.
Managed to nab a rather nice poster off the wall on the way out, will look nice in a frame :D 8)

Gig of the year so far for me but i hope that will be challenged this week with Mogwai and Spiritualized to come and then the Oh Sees next week.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Saw them a number of years back, and they were amazing to watch. Isaiah is one of my favourite guitarists of modern times (talented bastard! :lol: ) but the whole band were just phenomenally tight! Really looking forward to this now :)

I'm off the rest of my birthday week, so might as well rip the arse out of it as much as possible! :D
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

You will be hard pressed to find a better power trio than Earthless! Utterly relentless, and all three members are just amazing at what the do. Deaf as a post, and had to catch my breath a few times due to the pummelling bass notes, but, my God, it was worth it 8)
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Mogwai, Aarhus-Denmark. Good evening with a varied setlist and noisy as usual but probably not as in the old days. Alex Mackay; a younger man who in himself was a great pleasure to observe on stage, where he played what might well be called the first guitar.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

cantona wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:37 pm Mogwai, Aarhus-Denmark. Good evening with a varied setlist and noisy as usual but probably not as in the old days. Alex Mackay; a younger man who in himself was a great pleasure to observe on stage, where he played what might well be called the first guitar.
Should have seen them in Belfast tonight but 5 minutes into a 100 minute drive my car said "not today son", and as public transport simply wasn't an option by that stage of the evening i had to give up :evil: :cry:
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

I saw Kurt Vile Friday in Chicago with my brother. Musically it was great, but I went from happy anticipation through the opening act to feeling somewhat awkward in the middle to feeling better towards the end.

The next night we traveled to Detroit to see AURORA who I had discovered almost exactly 2 years prior. The feeling then was almost transcendent. I found myself waving an arm in the air along with everyone else and it felt good. She had a calming effect through her songs and her words in between. We felt so encouraged that we waited 90 minutes after the show to her up close on her way to the tour bus. She spent close to 30 minutes with her fans. She seemed the perfect anecdote for the terrible times our country and the world are going through.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Saw Kikagaku Moyo last night in Brussels during their farewell tour. They absolutely killed it!! If you still have the chance then go and see them.
"Thank you"
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Beck - Brixton Academy. Bought the tickets back in 2020 but.. I bought them because my kid loved Colors as much as me. So last week I took her up to Brixton (she was a little nervous) and watched a stunning 48 song long set by a very tight band. At one point Beck asked if he could play one of his favourite songs - True Love Will Find You In The End. Such a weird moment listening to such a great song by Beck at such a great venue with my 15 year old girl. Music has been a constant in my life. But this was special.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Post Spiritualized (early May) live outings.

Oh Sees- Button Factory, Dublin: Gig of the year for me so far. Punk/Garage/Prog/Jazz/ through a Psych prism. Totally under their spell for 90-odd minutes. High energy maximum rock n roll. Not one moment of boredom or mind wandering. John Dwyer now sporting an impressive moustache (made him look like Nick Offerman) and a fine line in banter.

Jane Weaver- Whelans, Dublin: Nice slice of psych-pop but nothing to get excited about. An extremely old looking crowd at it. Made me realise i'm actually in pretty good nick! :lol:

Conflict- Grand Social, Dublin: Anarcho-punk legends doing what they do; hard and fast punk. Band were tight but Colin Jerwood struggled to keep up with the lyrics at times, which is understandable all these years later i guess. Would've liked it louder though.

Just Mustard- Spirit Store, Dundalk: Hometown gig in an intimate venue for one of my fave Irish bands. Moody, noisey and loud. I could feel the bass coming up through my feet :D Surprising amount of dancing at it as they're mostly quite slow paced.

Parquet Courts- The Helix, Dublin: Odd venue for them as it's a bit out of town and part of DCU. Maybe there were no other venues available on that date? Good performance to a large turnout but suffered soundwise. I don't think the venue is really geared towards rock n roll.

Bo Ningen- Soundhouse, Dublin: Poorly attended (i reckon about 25-30) but i'll put that down to PIL and the Descendants also having gigs on in town that night. I'm certain there would have been many more otherwise. Musically, they still gave it their all but there was a lot less of the garage / noise type material that they played last time i saw them and more of an electronic feel. I'm not even sure 'electronic' is the correct word at all. It was different to what i was expecting anyway.

Primal Scream- Fairview Park, Dublin: A Screamadelica gig in a tent. Had seen them do two of these already in Belfast and Dublin a decade or so ago and was underwhelmed with the former while the latter was better (but still nothing amazing). And now? I hate to say it but i think the lads should call it a day. They are so far removed from the lean-mean-rock-n-roll-machine they once were that it's getting a little embarassing. Even when the refreshments kicked in halfway through i still knew it wasn't great and it was just my enhanced mood that made it all sound better. It still had it's moments but they can no longer conjure the energy and excitement of yore. And i'm blue in the face from saying it but they desperately need a second guitarist. The backing tape with all the brass parts wasn't loud enough and nor were the 5 or 6 gospel singers they had with them.
In saying that Higher Than The Sun was on point and the intro of Loaded was pretty special, as they opened up the greatest hits set with it by sending out a lone piper onto the empty stage playing the Loaded riff 8)
Also, plus points for the Andrew Weatherall tribute for Shine Like Stars (a song they hadn't played at the previous two gigs mentioned above), where they had a series of photos of him on the video screen and a dedication from Bobby.
Oh yeah, it was Bobby's birthday too! Naturally there was a rendition from the audience.
Overall though, myself and my mates found it to be a weak affair.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Blimey Joycey you get around!

I watched a Just Mustard radio session that popped up on youtube , didn't know much about them but enjoyed it. A lot of the comments were asking why she wasn't singing in tune, and missing the point!

Watched a bit of the Primal Scream Glastonbury set and more guitars definitely needed. Does sound rather thin but obviously TV mix can't be doing them any favours there. Weird band for me, the Scream . They talk the talk and are obviously great music lovers but their moments of greatness of few and far between for myself.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 pm Blimey Joycey you get around!

I watched a Just Mustard radio session that popped up on youtube , didn't know much about them but enjoyed it. A lot of the comments were asking why she wasn't singing in tune, and missing the point!

Watched a bit of the Primal Scream Glastonbury set and more guitars definitely needed. Does sound rather thin but obviously TV mix can't be doing them any favours there. Weird band for me, the Scream . They talk the talk and are obviously great music lovers but their moments of greatness of few and far between for myself.
:lol: In my defence most of those gigs had been rescheduled multiple times since 2020 and just happened to land on top of one another. There actually should have been another 3 in the same period (Bdrmm, Otoboke Beaver and OM) but they got put back to later dates. Or in the case of Om, cancelled altogether.

Funny about Just Mustard, i never had a problem with the vocals at all! Although i guess they might grate on occasion for some. Was it the KEXP session? Someone in the comments on that one complaining that the drummer is out of sync with the band :shock: :roll: :lol:

Sound didn't seem great for tv this year but yeah the Scream are sounding thin anyway these days imo. Definite lack of punch.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

I don't get out to gigs anywhere as near as often as I'd like, but I actually managed 3 gigs in 3 days recently. Quite an eclectic mix...

Max Richter (Chelsea Royal Hospital) 17th June. Performed Voices with the Chineke Orchestra (conducted by my business partner's son, woop woop!) followed by Recomposed. Lovely stuff on a balmy summer's evening

Arooj Aftab (Barbican) 18th June. Songs from Vulture Prince with a guest appearance by Anoushka Shankar. A voice from heaven

The Unthanks (Emsworth) 19th June. 5-piece band. Again, beautiful voices

Other than the voices, the other underlying theme was amazing violinists at all 3 gigs
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Ride do a Ride do a Primevera warm up in Brighton a couple of weeks ago. Performed Going Blank Again in its entirety followed by an encore of the classic b-side, Grasshopper, and a select number of Nowhere tracks. No newer songs but what a show. They sounded incredible and its the second time I've seen them at this relatively small venue (Concorde 2) since they reformed. Never managed to catch them on the recent Nowhere anniversary tour so was well pleased when they announced this one-off show in Brighton.
Then my brother-in-law offered me a free ticket to see Tim Burgess the following night. Didn't realise how many solo albums he's put out as I only have one and I don't think I recognised any of the stuff he played, except the version of The Only One I Know they played at the end. I felt it all rather twee and a little meh to be honest. Especially after seeing the blistering Ride set the night before.
The downer of doing two gigs on the bounce though was that I came down with a bout of the old Covid afterwards which knocked me for six and only really feeling back to normal now :(
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Kikagaku Moyo-Clapham Grand

Got a ticket via the waiting list for this long sold out gig. Really wanted to do this, not just because these guys are not venturing North on their last UK jaunt but also, I have never been to this iconic venue
Neither dissapointed.
Lovely venue, warm sound, great sight lines, gig was superb, never seen a bad Moyo gig, but they are always different. Loads of extended parts on songs on random jams all depending on the crowd reaction it seemed. the Circle pit for Tree Smoke was not something I had thought i would ever see haha
4 songs of new album (which i got a tour edition of the merch desk) 4 from previous and a few older ones scattered in amongst. lots of chilled moments a few frantic ones and loads of meditative vibes. Absolute perfection
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Great to see Ride still getting rave reviews. There is the risk that the more a reunion goes on, the novelty kinda wears off.
I would very much like to see a Going Blank Again set. Can't believe its only a couple of dates.
sunray wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:14 pm Funny about Just Mustard, i never had a problem with the vocals at all! Although i guess they might grate on occasion for some. Was it the KEXP session? Someone in the comments on that one complaining that the drummer is out of sync with the band :shock: :roll: :lol:
Yep it was KEXP. Maybe i have cloth ears but i had no problems with vocals or drums. Their sound is meant to be a bit off kilter and strange
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The Music Glasgow Barrowland this was a kinda last minute one for me, I knew it was on and knda expressed an interest to a mate ages ago - yrs in fact, been postponed and rescheduled a few times over 2 yrs now- and he sprung it on me a few before hand but Christ it was good, The Music`s premise is pretty basic but when it hits it hits hard, honestly never seen a reaction to band like this in a long time, was it an Oasis-y lad type thing? Maybe, but the place was going f#ckin` nuts, you could feel the atmosphere, people losing there shit all around me, and the big dumb Zepplin`esque riffs from Adam Nutter just encouraged more of this insane behaviour, I came on my own and was driving but it was hard not to get carried along, Take The Long Road and The People were the highlights of a brilliant night.

Michael Heads And The Red Elastic Band, Glasgow St Lukes 4 night later and quite a different proposition, the level of expectation and dedication were very similar though, not the driver tonight so could loosen up and enjoy it a bit more, if Dear Scott isn`t one of the best albums this yr brings then I guess we`re all going to be a bit spoiled as so far its a front runner, kicked things off with Kismet which has to be up there with Micks best, what a tune, so uplifting, I think they played maybe 9 songs form Dear Scott, had an acoustic section in the middle and a smattering of classics, two fantastic gigs in one week, very uplifting
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band was my first post covid show and what a pleasure it was to finally see him/them especially at the Brudenell in Leeds which is also my favorite venue in the world.
The crowd was super respectful too which was nice to see. No talking during songs and limited mobile phones in the air.
Agreed about Dear Scott. I bought both that and Kelley Stoltz new LP at Piccadilly and the clerk told me those are two of his favorite artists. We had a long chat. It was nice to make an impression on a clerk in that record shop. My favorite "new" record shop in the UK.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
MrBadger
Known user

Post by MrBadger »

Bob Mould in Belfast on his Solo Electric tour. Bounded into the stage, cranked out a few deafening chords and played the first few songs back to back without pausing for breath. A nice mix of Husker Du, Sugar and solo stuff. Amazing energy. Witty banter. Very cool guitar tone. Also the first time I've seen an artist forced to towel their guitar due to sweat levels. And really great support from Katie Malco who is a excellent guitarist/ singer in her own right.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Dean Wareham @ Oran Mor Glasgow Great night this, like most of the country we seem to be in the midst of a relative heatwave, us pasty locals just aint used to this and Saturday night in town seems buzzin`. Had these tickets for almost 2 an a half yrs - this theme might reoccur- and was sold on the playing of On Fire, I`ll be honest I`ve never heard their other two albums but loved On Fire and it was just superb to hear those songs in a live setting , the only time I saw Galaxie 500 was for the next album and it was one of those gigs where the band come on just as your entering the building and seemed to be over not much longer after it started, a very fading memory, but tonight they were - the songs - magical, Blue Thunder, Time To Leave The Planet and Isn`t It A Pity,

Pixies @ Kelvingrove Bandstand Glasgow Every summer they hold two weeks of gigs at the bandstand/amphitheatre, been doing it for a few yrs now, usually a bit of a mixed but interesting bag - Spiritualized were supposed to play it in 2019 I think before it got moved - and this is the 1st time I`ve attended one, not seen Pixies since 1989 and I might not have went to this either if my daughter hadn`t been so persistent, great venue especially on a night like this one, the band are brilliant hitting us with a barrage of classics, just how many fantastic tunes to Pixies have? I only own one compilation but know the albums, the manic-ness of the early stuff is there along the with `pop` nous they always had along with rocking heft, not sure how long they played but they did 32 songs!! Put me in mind of The Ramones in that sense just bam, bam, bam.

Jesus And Mary Chain @ Kelvingrove Bandstand A week after Pixies and no sign of the heat abating, the JAMC tickets falling into the Dean Wareham bracket, had them over two yrs and it finally feels like i`m getting to the end of postponed pandemic rescheduled gigs, only one more to go and the decks are cleared, apart from Spiritualized the JAMC are the band i`ve seen the most so doubt I can be too surprised seeing them they did a great `greatest hits` set at Glastonbury so thats what I was expecting and they delivered in spades, only the second time I`ve seen them outside and once the light dimmed back of 9 and they were bathed in reds, purples and dry ice in this setting in the park - I reckon its a 2500 bowl - it was brilliant, personal highlights Amputation, Between Planets, Head On ( Pixies did this as well but The Mary Chain version won out for me), All Things Must Pass and a blazing I Hate Rock n Roll, I think this song has my fav guitar solo in it, not even sure its a solo but Williams experiments/ torture on his guitar in the middle of it never leave me less than thrilled and my belief in rock n roll slightly more reaffirmed even if he is destroying it in the process. So two great nights at the Bandstand, depending who they book Ill be back 8)
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

APE festival at Victoria Park London. Busy day stage hopping yesterday. Some great bands. Obviously Spiritualized the favourites for me. Great set and in the big top which carries the sound a lot better than the outside stages. Other really enjoyable stuff from Tinariwen,Starcrawler,Jehnny Beth,The Smile, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds with a wonderful couple of hours of old and new stuff. The new find for me was a really great set from Party Dozen. Drums and sax with various effect pedals and an unconventional way of vocals through the bell of the saxophone. Brilliant noise.
Saw Anna Calvi at Victorious festival over the weekend and she sounded and looked great her guitar work and vocals go so well together.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

BROKENHEART wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:23 am Party Dozen. Drums and sax with various effect pedals and an unconventional way of vocals through the bell of the saxophone. Brilliant noise.
wow, this is fantastic.
thank you
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Cadillac Three at Leeds O2 Academy. Only my 3rd gig since the pandemic.

I'm a sucker for good country rock and have been waiting to see these guys for a few years now and although it was very much worth the wait O2 Academy is, in most senses, a truly wretched place to see live music. The staff were all great I should say, but the sound is absolutely shocking, bar prices sky high and it's just too big for me. Anyway, the chance to see this Tennessee trio finally appeared - delayed from last year due to Covid - and we went along. A terrific set of scuzzy, fuzzy country rock, loud and raucous, full of songs I love and delivered with proper Nashville attitude. I love it when you see a band for the first time and know every song on the setlist inside out. A combo of guitar, drums and pedal steel is a little unusual but these guys nailed it. Sadly the sound really affected things. Jaren Johnston's voice and guitar plus Neil Mason's drums were loud and obvious, but squashed into a thick dirge of sound so hearing quite what was going on wasn't easy. Kelby Ray's pedal steel was almost inaudible, and that was a real shame as he makes such a difference to the music. I don't think I caught a single word of Jaren's endless between song banter as it was all muffled. That said he was a superb frontman and had everyone in the palm of his hand. One hell of a guitarist too.

We came away happy at having ticked off a biggie on our bucket list, but irritated we couldn't hear the music better. You could tell the band were on fire and really into it, you just couldn't hear it properly. It'll take something really major to get us back in that place (a Ween tour? The Cadillac Three returning? Not much else!). Good to see some live music anyway.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Me again... 2 gigs in 3 days after just 2 in the previous year. And pedal steel featured again!

Rose City Band were at the Brudenell last night, first date of their tour here and the first time they've played away from the US West Coast. It was excellent inevitably. The Brudenell's sound was on top form so you could hear everything everyone was playing, quite a contrast to Wednesday at O2 Academy. The 1st 2 songs, both from Earth Trip, were seriously laid back and slow and I wondered initially if it would work. Wrong. Each was a gorgeous syrupy pool of melting pedal steel, guitar and piano, and within 20 seconds I was completely hooked. The tempo varied as the set went on but everything was good. And on a few occasions Ripley's other side appeared and things got heavy as a more Wooden Shjips dynamic took over. Whatever... A brilliant night, incredibly friendly band members after the set, who all seemed delighted to be in a venue with such a great reputation.

Can't recommend RCB enough. Psychedelic country rock heaven.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

runcible wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:47 pm Me again... 2 gigs in 3 days after just 2 in the previous year. And pedal steel featured again!

Rose City Band were at the Brudenell last night, first date of their tour here and the first time they've played away from the US West Coast. It was excellent inevitably. The Brudenell's sound was on top form so you could hear everything everyone was playing, quite a contrast to Wednesday at O2 Academy. The 1st 2 songs, both from Earth Trip, were seriously laid back and slow and I wondered initially if it would work. Wrong. Each was a gorgeous syrupy pool of melting pedal steel, guitar and piano, and within 20 seconds I was completely hooked. The tempo varied as the set went on but everything was good. And on a few occasions Ripley's other side appeared and things got heavy as a more Wooden Shjips dynamic took over. Whatever... A brilliant night, incredibly friendly band members after the set, who all seemed delighted to be in a venue with such a great reputation.

Can't recommend RCB enough. Psychedelic country rock heaven.
Looks like I'm in for a treat next Tuesday at Hackney RCB . Cheers.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Rose City Band at 9294 Hackney. Bit of a nightmare getting to Hackney and back due to a fire somewhere on the overground . Well worth the trip. Country with lots of psych sounds. Really up for it crowd too.
High point for me was the mesmerising pedal steel guitar sounds. Great evening.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

GYBE at The Electric Ballroom Camden.
Just Epic !
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

After missing Rose City Band in Norwich, I saw that The Lemonheads were playing so a little nostalgia trip for an evening and thought it could be quite cool. Always really liked them and have been listening regularly to Shame About Ray recently. Man, it was bad and easily the worst gig I've seen. After all this time and considering the issues he's had over the years, I never expected it to be perfect. It was just sad though. His voice is completely shot, the delivery was poor and I just couldn't understand him when he spoke. He came across as troubled. A slight improvement when he had a band behind him for the run through of the album but that was because he was drowned out. There didn't seem to be any engagement between them all at all. Lots of people were leaving throughout the gig, even within minutes of him starting playing. We almost made it to the end but left when the backing band went off stage and Evan started playing the drums on his own, that was enough. I've never left a gig early before. Like I said, it felt a shame and rather than being upset at a poor gig, I felt sad for the guy. Reading reviews afterwards of other dates, most seemed to thin he gave a really good show. How can he be so good at other shows but so bad in the one I went to? Doesn't seem right.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

rapideye wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 pm After missing Rose City Band in Norwich, I saw that The Lemonheads were playing so a little nostalgia trip for an evening and thought it could be quite cool. Always really liked them and have been listening regularly to Shame About Ray recently. Man, it was bad and easily the worst gig I've seen. After all this time and considering the issues he's had over the years, I never expected it to be perfect. It was just sad though. His voice is completely shot, the delivery was poor and I just couldn't understand him when he spoke. He came across as troubled. A slight improvement when he had a band behind him for the run through of the album but that was because he was drowned out. There didn't seem to be any engagement between them all at all. Lots of people were leaving throughout the gig, even within minutes of him starting playing. We almost made it to the end but left when the backing band went off stage and Evan started playing the drums on his own, that was enough. I've never left a gig early before. Like I said, it felt a shame and rather than being upset at a poor gig, I felt sad for the guy. Reading reviews afterwards of other dates, most seemed to thin he gave a really good show. How can he be so good at other shows but so bad in the one I went to? Doesn't seem right.
He's been like that for decades. Decent one night and a carcrash the next. You pays your money and takes your chances...
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

Yeah, you're right. Going off the rails back in the 90s and an article I read recently suggested he was still in the thick of troubles. I still hoped it'd be worth seeing. As the Wife said, stick to the LPs from now on.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

House Of Love- Magic Bag Ferndale Michigan 10-22-2022

Disclaimer: I am a HUGE House Of Love fan. I flew over to see a show in Leeds on the 2018 tour. That show remains one of the all time great set lists I have ever seen played live.

House Of Love is now Guy Chadwick and three new members including a father(guitar) and son(bass) duo.

Glad I had listened to the new album State Of Grace quite a bit before this show. A much heavier and beefier House Of Love sound. They played quite a few tracks off it.

The stand out tracks for me were Burn Down The World which caught me by surprise. Also Love In A Car which is was the highlight for me and the final song which is a fantastic way to leave the stage imho.

Some moments post show at the merch booth. One 20 something woman inherited her fathers House Of Love vinyl collection which she brought and Guy signed it all. Also a 20 something year old couple who drove up from Ohio and while the girlfriend did all the talking her boyfriend was overcome with emotion while Guy signed a few bits for him. Emotional to the point tears were flowing. I found that very moving.

Also the dedication of fans, most of whom waited 30 years, to see them and show their appreciation by buying tons of merchandise. That is what sustains them on the road. Nice family affair too with Guy's wife Suzi as tour manager and their daughter manning the merch stall.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

July - October:
Follakzoid, Lightning Bolt, Minami Deutsch, Fu Manchu, Gwenno, Melts, Thumper, Tau & The Drones Of Praise, Amyl & The Sniffers.

Pick of the bunch were:
Lightning Bolt, Whelans, Dublin - vicious all-out assault from start to finish. Exactly what i was after. Majority of attendees were surprisingly young. Which was good to see. Thought it would be just a bunch of middle age chinstrokers at it.
Minami Deutsch, Whelans, Dublin - Just two days after LB in the same venue and hit the spot with their brand of Krautrock.
Thumper, Whelans, Dublin - Sold out hometown gig and band on top form. Hooks and melodies aplenty but with enough noise and energy to take it some place else. Feared for my safety when one of the guitarists came out into the crowd and started swinging his axe about his head, thought i might get it wrapped around my jaw. Then he started bouncing it off the floor dangerously close to my toes. Rock n Roll eh? :lol:

Plus two festivals; All Together Now and Electric Picnic.
Top 3 at ATN were Gilla Band, King Gizzard and Underworld (the latter two closing the main stage on Sunday night so a pretty decent way to end the weekend).
At EP (Worst ever lineup, so slim pickings): Thumper (twice), Sleaford Mods and Silverbacks.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Finally got to see Asteroid No. 4 last night here Norwich of all places, honestly thought I'd never get to see them. Brilliant set, really tiny venue, small crowd but they were incredibly tight and seemed to have a good time despite a malfunctioning smoke machine that filled the entire venue and made visibility difficult for band and audience! Finished with a Catherine Wheel cover (I Want to Touch You) which is fitting given CW are from Great Yarmouth just 20 miles away.

Also was a chance to see Magic Shoppe who were supporting, another band I didn't think I'd get to see and were impressive too - overall really good Sunday evening!

Post by BROKENHEART »

Ditto sim above. Saw Magic Shoppe and The Asteroid no4 at The Shacklewell Arms in London. Small venue, probably 200 capacity. There's something totally different about the smaller venues. I think the majority of the crowd are there to enjoy the bands and unlike bigger venues it's a whole better experience.
Great evening, enjoyed both bands was unmissable for me.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pavement, Vicar St., Dublin - The first of 3 gigs in 4 days for me. The band had two sold out nights (their final gigs of the tour) and i was at the first. Managed to pick up a cheaper, rather than cheap, ticket a few days beforehand as I wasn't prepared to pay €60 for Pavement. Two hour set, played most of what you'd expect. Overall it was okay but it was the least enjoyable Pavement gig i've been at, going back to the 90s. Far too much of a nostalgia vibe going on and i DO NOT like nostalgia. Especially someone else's!

Godflesh, Opium Rooms, Dublin - Heavy, industrial metal. A two piece of Justin Broadrick on guitar and Mick Harris on bass, plus a laptop. This hit the spot i must say. Never seen them before and i was not disappointed. Some of the songs reminded me of a heavier Loop. Not quite as loud as expected but it was loud enough. Played about 75mins and i could have listened to more. What struck me was how they still sounded current and NOW and made Pavement seem OLD. Would definitely go see them again.

BDRMM, Workmans Club, Dublin - Final night of a full Irish tour for this lot. Band had sold out Cork and this Dublin gig and seemed in good spirits. Just over an hours worth of Shoegaze with shades of The Cure and perhaps Young Team-era Mogwai. Far more muscular and powerful than the record, thankfully. Made a nice racket. Would also go see again.

Interestingly, Godflesh brought no merch citing Brexit as the reason. Bdrmm had plenty but i figured that as they were doing multiple dates maybe it was worth it. Pavement had plenty too but it was very expensive. Apparently Peter Hook, who was playing the Olympia the same night of Godflesh, refused to sell any merch as he claimed the venue wanted too large a cut. I've certainly heard of venues in the UK taking increasingly large takings from the merch so it wouldn't surprise me that it would be the case here too in 'Rip-off Ireland'.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:31 pm Pavement, Vicar St., Dublin - The first of 3 gigs in 4 days for me. The band had two sold out nights (their final gigs of the tour) and i was at the first. Managed to pick up a cheaper, rather than cheap, ticket a few days beforehand as I wasn't prepared to pay €60 for Pavement. Two hour set, played most of what you'd expect. Overall it was okay but it was the least enjoyable Pavement gig i've been at, going back to the 90s. Far too much of a nostalgia vibe going on and i DO NOT like nostalgia. Especially someone else's!

Godflesh, Opium Rooms, Dublin - Heavy, industrial metal. A two piece of Justin Broadrick on guitar and Mick Harris on bass, plus a laptop. This hit the spot i must say. Never seen them before and i was not disappointed. Some of the songs reminded me of a heavier Loop. Not quite as loud as expected but it was loud enough. Played about 75mins and i could have listened to more. What struck me was how they still sounded current and NOW and made Pavement seem OLD. Would definitely go see them again.

BDRMM, Workmans Club, Dublin - Final night of a full Irish tour for this lot. Band had sold out Cork and this Dublin gig and seemed in good spirits. Just over an hours worth of Shoegaze with shades of The Cure and perhaps Young Team-era Mogwai. Far more muscular and powerful than the record, thankfully. Made a nice racket. Would also go see again.

Interestingly, Godflesh brought no merch citing Brexit as the reason. Bdrmm had plenty but i figured that as they were doing multiple dates maybe it was worth it. Pavement had plenty too but it was very expensive. Apparently Peter Hook, who was playing the Olympia the same night of Godflesh, refused to sell any merch as he claimed the venue wanted too large a cut. I've certainly heard of venues in the UK taking increasingly large takings from the merch so it wouldn't surprise me that it would be the case here too in 'Rip-off Ireland'.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Saw BDRMM this time last yr with Mildred Maude in support, noticed Stuart Braithwaite to the side of us - Hug And Pint is sold out with 100 punters, hard not to notice someone - seeing Mogwai on the 22nd Dec with BDRMM as supporting, will very much be looking forward to seeing them at Barrowland, think a 2nd album is out next yr and can’t emphasis how good the Mildred Maude album from last yr is as well
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

niamhm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:59 pm Saw BDRMM this time last yr with Mildred Maude in support, noticed Stuart Braithwaite to the side of us - Hug And Pint is sold out with 100 punters, hard not to notice someone - seeing Mogwai on the 22nd Dec with BDRMM as supporting, will very much be looking forward to seeing them at Barrowland, think a 2nd album is out next yr and can’t emphasis how good the Mildred Maude album from last yr is as well
Yeah new album coming next year. They played 3 or 4 new songs on Sunday, still works in progress i'd say. Regarding Mildred Maude, ive tried with that album but it didnt really do much for me. I'd go and see them though as i reckon they'd be decent live.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Trying to find some compromising middle ground with my wife and son who have very differing music tastes.

Took them both to Spz back in May at M'cr Bridgewater Hall (my son's first gig|); we then did one of the 80s Rewind North all dayers back in August (VERY cheesy, but actually REALLY good fun); I then took him to see Sigur Ros at the start of Nov, and then The Lightning Seeds and Badly Drawn Boy last night, both of which he also enjoyed. He's wanting to go to something more mainstream next so may need to persuade my wife to take him or see if her can go with a friend and another parent - I'm really not ready for Olly Murs....!
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

Went to Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West tour last night in Vancouver. It was wonderful, despite Isaac's voice being a bit shot from a cold. Their rhythm section was tight as hell and brought out aspects of the songs to which I hadn't really paid too much conscious attention, previously. Then they opened the encore with Dramamine, which is the song I most associate with my late teens/early twenties, the friends I had then, and the combination of possibility and persistent teenage angst of that era.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Divide & Dissolve, Whelans, Dublin - Australian two-piece consisting of drums and guitar/sax in a Doom style. Saw them supporting Low in Vicar Street earlier this year and enjoyed them, although the between song chat grated when i reckon they used up 10 minutes of a 40min. set pontificating. I'd rather have heard another two songs tbh. Anyways, i was looking forward to seeing them in a smaller venue for a bit more heft in the sound. Regular drummer Sylvie was sitting out this tour so we had some dude on sticks instead. Didn't matter. They kicked out a nice slow and heavy sound of long, dirty, sustained riffs that hit the spot, although not quite as loud as reviews would have led you to believe. Preaching kept to a minimum too. Would go see again.

Working Mens Club, Academy Green Room, Dublin - Lots of 80s vibes in this. Some good, some not. There were times it was far too 'NY 80s Club' for my tastes but overall i'm glad i went. No drums, 2 synth players, one of which also doubled up on guitar. A bassist, plus the singer also on guitar for chunks too. I guess New Order, Cabaret Voltaire, Depeche Mode along with some regular post punk would be the touchstones. The crowd was surprisingly middle aged. I was expecting mainly hip young things with a smattering of old nerds. I guess a lot of folks heard something that reminded them of the glory days of their 80s youth and decided to check them out. I'd like to see them at a festival i think. Could be fun.

Bob Vylan, Button Factory, Dublin - Large turnout for this. Another two-piece, this time vocals and live drums with guitar and bass on laptop/backing track. Much better than i was expecting. A kind of punk/hip hop/grime/metal soup i suppose. Way more powerful live than on record. Tons of energy, lots of political between song chat, but as they said themselves, if there wasn't any politics it would be an incredibly short set. "The only good cop is a dead cop" line was fairly cringe though. Crowd was lapping it up anyways, moshing, crowd surfing and stagediving.
However, i'm getting tired of being lectured to at gigs.The support act for BV was Cherym, who are all lesbian. Grand, i don't care, but when they claim victimisation because some straight person has the audacity to ask if their girlfriend is their friend/room mate/sister it's a bit much to take. They're from Derry, so they should thank their lucky stars they weren't around during the Troubles. Then they really would have had something to be bothered about. It's a safe bet that anyone who attends shows of 'message' acts will be of the same mindset, so they're just singing to the choir / preaching to the converted really. Tbf, i'm of an age where i've heard all this before but it was usually the sole preserve of punk gigs. Now everyone has an opinion. Which i can see the positives of, as it's getting the message to the younger generations. The flip side though is that it can all get rather tedious and i wonder how much is just virtue signalling (in general, not just limited to the acts reviewed). Anyways, back to the music...

Wet Leg, The Academy, Dublin - Long sold out show finally arrived. They could have easily bumped this to a larger venue such was the demand so fair play for remaining in the Academy. If you like the album you'll like them live. If you don't i'm not sure they would change your mind. Reminded me of The Breeders/Belly at times. Decent band behind them, i thought the bassist was on point. Less of the clinical coolness that can be found on the record and a warmer, more personable approach onstage. Seemed to be enjoying themselves. Support act Coach Party weren't bad either, channelling early 90s American indie. In fact i'd have liked Wet Leg to maybe take a leaf out of CP's book and add just a little more grit to their sound. Overall, an enjoyable evening and i'd happily go to a repeat performance.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Haven't been here a while and I had to come here and lightly brag. :shock:

I got married in November and Dean and Britta played my wedding. I chose the setlist and am still over the fucking moon. The wedding was at Pappy & Harriet's Pioneertown Palace, where Spiritualized have played. So dream wedding venue with a dream wedding band. They learned and performed Walking With Jesus and Waterloo Sunset in addition to a few other covers (BeeGee's Massachusetts, Kraftwerk's Neon Lights, Joy Division's Ceremony) plus some Galaxie 500 and Luna songs.

JamesT (who I met because of this very forum!) was my best man. <3

Anyways, here are some videos of it. Waterloo Sunset was our first dance and thank fucking god the video doesn't show us dancing.

Waterloo Sunset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_TEGYlZ9A
Moon Palace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufYt15stoQI
Ceremony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYOFuS96WA
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

toomilk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:48 pm Haven't been here a while and I had to come here and lightly brag. :shock:

I got married in November and Dean and Britta played my wedding. I chose the setlist and am still over the fucking moon. The wedding was at Pappy & Harriet's Pioneertown Palace, where Spiritualized have played. So dream wedding venue with a dream wedding band. They learned and performed Walking With Jesus and Waterloo Sunset in addition to a few other covers (BeeGee's Massachusetts, Kraftwerk's Neon Lights, Joy Division's Ceremony) plus some Galaxie 500 and Luna songs.

Anyways, here are some videos of it. Waterloo Sunset was our first dance and thank fucking god the video doesn't show us dancing.

That is absolutely brilliant toomilk and congratulations!!!
I think I feel it coming on
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

that’s lovely, toomilk, congrats
best gig ever!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Congrats! You gotta tell us more though :) Are you mates with D&B or is this something they just do now?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Many congratulations TooMilk. What a great day that must have been.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Congrats Kevin.
What a lovely place to get married and what a band to entertain the guests.
Sounds perfect.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Congratulations! Sounds like a fantastic event!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

toomilk wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:48 pm Haven't been here a while and I had to come here and lightly brag. :shock:

Congratulations on your marriage Kevin. I can almost remember being a newly wed (My 30th Anniversary is in May) but sadly I am very old.....
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Residents, Button Factory, Dublin: First gig of 2023 for me and the band's debut Irish performance. I don't know much about The Residents music but my gut told me i probably wouldn't enjoy this, judging by what i had heard. They're an act who i've enjoyed the concept of rather than the reality down the years. However, i took the plunge regardless. I honestly don't know how to describe it; awkward bits, smooth bits etc. Some of it was okay but overall my gut proved correct. Very clever no doubt, but as for enjoyment? I dunno. It sounded like the kind of thing teenage boys would listen to in an attempt to make themselves appear intelligent. I've seen them once and that's enough for me. BJM in a couple of days.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Academy, Dublin:
Not sure what the rest of the tour has been like but this definitely goes down as one of the worst BJM gigs i've seen. It was a fully sold out show in front of a very mixed demographic. The set was a little over 2 hours but i would estimate only about 90 minutes of music due to between song gaps caused by tuning up and Anton's ramblings. He appears to be off his meds or whatever he does to keep himself level. Not seen him this shambolic and rambling in quite a few years. Mind you, he had no problem performing the songs, just the inbetween bits, which led to a complete lack of momentum. Even Joel seemed bored (hard to tell i know but you usually get a smile out of him at some point). Mostly new/recent tunes with a few oldies towards the end. Quite a few of the songs ended just as you expected them to lift off which was frustrating. A couple of standouts though, 'The Mother of All Fuckers' and 'Abandon Ship', both of which soared and spacily jammed out in a glorious fashion. Why they don't do more of this kind of material is beyond me.
Myself and mate both questioned as to whether we would've been better off going to see Algiers, who were also in town, instead. I suspect they would have been a lot more energetic and exciting. Bumped into some younger acquaintances at the end and their universal opinion was "Shite!".
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

sunray wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:38 pm The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Academy, Dublin:
Not sure what the rest of the tour has been like but this definitely goes down as one of the worst BJM gigs i've seen. It was a fully sold out show in front of a very mixed demographic. The set was a little over 2 hours but i would estimate only about 90 minutes of music due to between song gaps caused by tuning up and Anton's ramblings. He appears to be off his meds or whatever he does to keep himself level. Not seen him this shambolic and rambling in quite a few years. Mind you, he had no problem performing the songs, just the inbetween bits, which led to a complete lack of momentum. Even Joel seemed bored (hard to tell i know but you usually get a smile out of him at some point). Mostly new/recent tunes with a few oldies towards the end. Quite a few of the songs ended just as you expected them to lift off which was frustrating. A couple of standouts though, 'The Mother of All Fuckers' and 'Abandon Ship', both of which soared and spacily jammed out in a glorious fashion. Why they don't do more of this kind of material is beyond me.
Myself and mate both questioned as to whether we would've been better off going to see Algiers, who were also in town, instead. I suspect they would have been a lot more energetic and exciting. Bumped into some younger acquaintances at the end and their universal opinion was "Shite!".
This kinda mirrors my own experience of seeing BJM last Sunday at Glasgow Barrowland, it was a sold out show weeks in advance and another one the following night in Edinburgh, in fact lots of sold out signs right across a pretty extensive UK tour.
We to got quite a few “tuning up breaks” as well, didn’t surprise or particularly vex me as I’d read reviews of earlier nights on the tour from Brighton and Norwich which followed a similar pattern - is this genuine or a perfomative put on? This show lasted just over 2 hrs as well though I don’t think they were tuning up/ having a break for 30 odd minutes mind - and I’m not going to comment on his state of mind except to say he seemed alright to me 🤷‍♂️
All about perceptions though and I enjoyed the show, when the band got going and into their stride they sounded phenomenal, as you say mostly more recent stuff and I was fine with that as the last album and what I ve heard off the new one so far they’re great albums, best in yrs.
Have to mention “the wall of guitars” for A Word, 5 guitars ringing out on an extended jam out/coda definite highlight along with Pish, Anemone, Fudge, The Real and #1 Lucky Kitty. Good night.
Last edited by niamhm on Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Warrington Runcorn New Town Development Plan - Bedford Esquires

I'd describe the aesthetic as where brutalist architecture meets 1970's Public Information Films about not playing in electricity substations meets Protect and Survive. Lovely stuff. And a 'not loud' gig, which is sometimes appreciated at my age!
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

I saw the first of the BJM Brighton gigs, having won tickets from Anton for an Oxfam donation (whatever else people make of his current antics, this is such a brilliant thing for him to do). I do have a knack of ignoring bands I'm sure to like for far too long, so although I knew I'd be interested, I'd not seen them before and had none of their records. It started great, first few songs were amazing. Then the gaps and exchanges with the audience began... I didn't really have a problem with any of this stuff (don't know how I could justify it if I did, plenty of huge tuning-up gaps on old Spacemen 3 recordings), but my wife isn't that tall and we couldn't see much from where we were, so we checked out the bar that has a large screen where you can see the stage. That gave us a good view of the inter-band discussions ("The problem is that you can't play that guitar through that amp," etc.), but it was too cold to stay there. We slipped in to the back of the crowd, and ended up next to someone who was shouting out at Anton, rather pointlessly, there was no way he was going to be heard from there, it just pissed us off to the extent that we left after an hour or so.

I've paid a bit more attention to the BJM since then, have been gifted a few albums for my birthday today, and would definitely go and see them again (probably on my own!). Doesn't everyone know what they are likely to get at these gigs? Isn't it like going to see The Fall in the old days, where the unpredictability and chance of a meltdown are par for the course? The price you pay for the possibility of seeing something stunning?

Other recent gigs: Peel Dream Magazine, Brighton - no longer playing the kind music that lead Runcible to recommend them to me, but fun in its own way. Mogwai, London - first time we've seen them, absolutely stunning, one of my wife's top ten gigs, and we now have to go again in Brighton next week. John Cale, Bexhill - once the thrill of seeing a former Velvet had passed, there was a moment around the fifth song where it was in danger of actually getting a bit boring, but a couple of extended noisy workouts towards the end got things back on track, and he seems to be in really good form.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ian wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:59 am I've paid a bit more attention to the BJM since then, have been gifted a few albums for my birthday today, and would definitely go and see them again (probably on my own!). Doesn't everyone know what they are likely to get at these gigs? Isn't it like going to see The Fall in the old days, where the unpredictability and chance of a meltdown are par for the course? The price you pay for the possibility of seeing something stunning?
Well, yeah. It's just the last three times i've seen Anton (over a number of years, twice with BJM and once w/Tess Parks) he was on a pretty even keel and the general opinion was that he'd got his shit together. In saying that, at the previous BJM visit to these shores he did jump off stage and attack a kid in the audience but he was fine the rest of the gig, very lucid/straight/together. Which is why the other night was a bit of a surprise. As for the tuning up, i did think at the time he could have claimed it was a tribute to Spacemen 3!
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Anton is a strange character isn't he. He seems pretty highly strung and violatile.

He tries to come across as some very secure in his success, but when someone even slightly criticise him he gets super defensive.

Of course the music is often great but honestly find a lot of it scrappy and underwritten personally speaking
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I’ve read so many under par reports of this BJM tour. Having seen them a good dozen times over the years I know the difference between a good and a bad BJM show. On several occasions the crowd were fairly unpleasant too, just aggressive and rude. And at the worst ones people would throw pints in Anton’s face until he’d react and then the gig would unravel into a shouting match. The worst aspects of ‘Dig!’ for all to see.

They are in Leeds tomorrow but we’ve decided against it. The Stylus isn’t a great venue and that coupled with such mixed reactions to a lot of the other gigs doesn’t make it too appealing.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

Really great set by The BJM at the O2 Forum London. Loads of Byrds style sounds and some wonderful wall of sound guitars at the very end of the set. I think I counted 7 guitars at one point.The sound was just so crystal clear. Anton seemed really up for the evening and was very appreciative of the crowd, who were also up for it.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

Death Valley Girls, Bodega Nottingham

A bit of mid-week Psych/Witchcraft/Goth fun
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Didn’t manage to make the Pigs x7 gig after all due to bloody Covid, hopefully see them later in the yr when they come to Glasgow again, but recovered in time to make The Black Angels at QMU last night, fabulous, far exceeding my expectations tbh, gone were the Austin Power- ish trappings of the Indigo Meadow and Phosphene Dream era and in was a filthy, biker boogie, laced with TexMex psychedelia, an observation was the number of guitar changes, easily as many as BJM a weeks back and managed with less than half the faffing about, mostly material from the last album and their first two albums, new material all sounded great, they really did get some fantastic grooves going. As it was a guest list job I bought a copy of the album from the merch stall, only fair to make a contribution, great night all in.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Took Mrs Shines with me to see Mogwai at the Brighton Dome a couple of weeks ago and they were incredible. Light show, sound, set list were all spot on. They really are a phenomenal band and to still have this intensity after all the years they have been doing this is just staggering. My only gripe was that there was no 'Helicon', 'Jim Morrison' or "Mogwai Fear Satan' but we did get epic versions of 'Christmas Steps', 'My Father My King', '2 Rights Make 1 Wrong' and 'Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home'. Just incredible. Like I said in the Mogwai thread over in the Music section, Mogwai are definitely battling with Spiritualized as my all time favourite band. 8)
Attachments
773E3D78-2EF2-446F-90F1-11B3129BBB64.jpeg
773E3D78-2EF2-446F-90F1-11B3129BBB64.jpeg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 92841 times
B5BFF831-29E8-40BE-A136-518C56ECEDFC.jpeg
B5BFF831-29E8-40BE-A136-518C56ECEDFC.jpeg (335.45 KiB) Viewed 92841 times
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Black Angels, last Thursday at Manchester New Century Hall, a mammoth 23 song set, Thought Alex was under par vocally and seem disinterested, not a sell out crowd but decent turnout. Star of the show was Christain Bland, without him, they really are not very appealing at all. never missed a tour and now thats 10 times I have seen them, I felt by the end it maybe my last for a while, it just got a bit boring. An hour set would have been brilliant, although fair play to them for the endurance levals :D

Prior to that Mogwai for 2 nights at Albert Hall, Manchester. Cant really add much to shinesalight's resume. Bloody amazing, two very differnt set lists and fast becoming my favourite band bar maybe one or two. Intense levels of nosise, but far more controlled than say, MBV. Just amazing

Also saw Molly at The Salty Dog in Northwich. Lovelys et from Austrian shoegaze, dreampop duo, nice light show, nice dynamics, spot on lads too, very chatty. my band supported them which was nice, they watched the whle set and suggested we come over and play there, which was very kind. EU tour ahoy :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

The Black Angels, Button Factory, Dublin: I'd place this somewhere inbetween niamhm and Aquarian Time's experiences. 1hr 50min set with a short break around the 70min mark. One of the guitarists was wearing a black L&G t-shirt.I've seen them better and worse so a solid gig i would say.

Shame, Button Factory: Decent gig but the singer annoys me. Unfortunately, not as intense as their set at ATN last summer which was what convinced me to go see them again after writing them off a few years back.They do make an effort though, certainly can't fault them on that score. Long set, lots of energy but they just didn't quite hit the heights i hoped for.

Scalping, Workmans Club, Dublin: A sort of techno/rock hybrid aimed strictly at the dancefloor. A continuous 55min. set played with bass/drums/guitar/knob twiddler plus another dude handling the very impressive visuals. Perfect for a festival, i recommend seeing them if they play near you.

Coach Party, Grand Social, Dublin: Saw this lot support Wet Leg last year and enjoyed them enough to catch them at their own gig. 15 songs in 45 minutes. Very much an early 90s indie type thing (Breeders, Veruca Salt etc) but done well. Poppy but not overly so.

Dry Cleaning/Dehd/Thus Love, Vicar St., Dublin: I went into this gig with the feeling i was done with Dry Cleaning but more of that later. Dehd were disappointingly light weight compared to live sets i'd watched on YT and Thus Love had the odd moment but nothing i'd be going to see again. Both acts came across as bog standard indie. As for DC, what once seemed quirky and charming is now irritating. They're just boring. I didn't pay for the ticket so no loss there i suppose.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just going to put it out there that I’ve never been a massive Black Angels fan, saw them 1st 2007, half a set supporting Black Keys, never saw them again till 2017 at LPF and then last week I was on a freebie and I’ve never bought anything buy them till the sympathy purchase of their most recent album last week - I love it- but I genuinely loved and was impressed by their show in Glasgow, if I’d seen them loads over the last 20yrs I would probably have a more nuanced opinion but that wouldn’t change my opinion of some of their earlier albums
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Weyes Blood at the Riviera in Chicago. Really enjoyed it. Nice and loud. She had a band backing her. She had some nice banter with the audience. Apparently she has a thing where audience members give her dvds that she talks about in between songs.