HAWKWIND

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

ro
Known user

HAWKWIND

Post by ro »

A lot's been said about Hawkwind around here but there is no lone hawkwind thread. Only yesterday I discovered for myself the magical thing called Space Ritual. thanks to you lot! I never would have bought this, I have never heard them before.
I'm so happy, it's like finding a long-lost home I didn't even know I had.
feels so right!
and I'm only on the 4th track.

:D
scratch
Known user

Re: HAWKWIND

Post by scratch »

The best studio albums imo are the first five: hawkwind, in search of space, doremi fasol latido, hall of the mountain grill and warrior on the edge of time.
I usually have a hard time choosing between mountain grill and doremi (space ritual is from that album´s tour.)
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I agree with Scratch - all those are worth getting. Generally the stuff after Lemmy was sacked is second tier in comparison. Space Ritual is probably the best live album I can think of.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

runcible wrote:Generally the stuff after Lemmy was sacked is second tier in comparison.
For the most part yes but I would make a case for P.X.R. 5, "High Rise" is my fave post-Lemmy song.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I think theirs a lot of enjoyment to be had in the Hawkwind back stuff ,big fan in the past at one time had 30 plus albums ,sold them all a few years back for a pittance bu t needs must at the time ,pretty much agree about the post and pre Lemmy stuff ,post Lemmy I liked Choose Your Masques and Levitaton (which has just been re-release as a 3 disc set thats catching my eye ),probably continue my UA albums cd replacement plan at its previously glazier slow speed ,Dore Mefa Sola Tido next classic Space Rock,that made it into mytop 50 albums recently .
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

All BBC4 viewers should sit in this Friday as they're showing Lemmy: The Movie followed by Do Not Panic: the Story Of Hawkwind. And if you're so inclined all that is topped off with Heavy Metal Britannia. :D Can't wait.

Would very much appreciate if someone could record and share the Hawkwind doc.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I will try to get the wmv from bbc through a proxy and convert to xvid like I did with the screamadelica doc..

Did I ever mention that I once actually talked with Lemmy about Hawkwind?
..anyway he said he wouldn´t mind having a reunion, but this was in uh.. 1999 or something like that and he seems to be such a nice guy he may have said it just to make me happy.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Sky plus set to record ,looking forward to the Lemmy movie,try to cheer my self up after a pretty dreadful day.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

a disappointing movie.. but I liked his book a lot!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I really enjoyed Lemmy: The Movie, and I'm not really a fan of him or Motorhead much at all. he seems like an interesting character. some sweet bits like the woman giving him her copy of the Beatles mono box and the way he talked about his son.

caught the first part of the Hawkwind doc too.. they were quite an original band weren't they? no one else really doing anything like that at the time. and Stacia certainly had her charms :)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
caught the first part of the Hawkwind doc too.. they were quite an original band weren't they? no one else really doing anything like that at the time.

Dick Taylor (original guitarist for the Pretty Things) certainly thought so! Needing something fresh and new he left the Pretties and ended up producing the first Hawkwind LP.

Stacia certainly had her charms :)
Huge charm! :shock:
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

scratch wrote: Did I ever mention that I once actually talked with Lemmy about Hawkwind?
..anyway he said he wouldn´t mind having a reunion, but this was in uh.. 1999 or something like that and he seems to be such a nice guy he may have said it just to make me happy.
omfg.. just watched the doc and it seems they did have a reunion a year or two after I talked to him..
with sam fox as a guest vocalist!

insane! :shock:
henryapplecore
Known user

Post by henryapplecore »

Both these documentaries are on the bbciplayer at the minute if anyone's not seen them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... The_Movie/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Not_Panic/
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'd seen the Lemmy film a while back on dvd and found it overlong. It was OK but ultimately quite boring. The weird thing was it killed the legend of Lemmy for me. Seeing him sitting around on his own, drinking alone, playing computer games in a cramped apartment, wasn't really how I expected Lemmy the legend to live his life. Seems a nice guy though, very funny too.

So then, Hawkwind, where to start? Name one album to start with. I've always been tempted by Space Ritual but have never got round to it. I loved the documentary about them that was on years back (maybe the same one spoken about above) and their music sounded great. Their vibes and attitude appeal to me.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I´d recommend hall of the mountain grill to start with.. it´s got the original lost johnny if you´re a motorhead fan.
If you don´t like that record then you will probably have a problem with the other ones since they in places are more extreme.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

johnnyboy wrote: So then, Hawkwind, where to start? Name one album to start with.
I would start with their very first s/t record and then move on to their second album, 'In Search of Space'. 'Space Ritual' being a live LP would be a logical successor to the first two studio LP's.

I also have a beautiful box set called 'Acid Daze: The History of Hawkwind', which compiles assorted live and studio rarities as well as officially released material. I think it might be out of print now.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

redcloud wrote: 'Space Ritual' being a live LP would be a logical successor to the first two studio LP's.
I find that very odd.. to skip doremi fasol latido... :( space ritual = doremi fasol latido tour

It is not logical at all to skip that important album!! ..more like a ridiculous omission!
Certainly better than the second LP if you are coming at it from the Mötörhead angle. Lemmy´s album debut as a bass player.

but I have to agree.. if you are into hippy-trippy blues-gone-horrible-wrong (as in creating something new) then the first record is the right choice.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

scratch wrote:
I find that very odd.. to skip doremi fasol latido... :( space ritual = doremi fasol latido tour

It is not logical at all to skip that important album!! ..more like a ridiculous omission!
Certainly better than the second LP if you are coming at it from the Mötörhead angle. Lemmy´s album debut as a bass player.
Nope, not skipping their third album at all (sorry for the omission)...but johnnyboy did say "name one". I really like the first album and it logically progresses to album 2, which is why I listed it. He also then mentioned the live record, 'Space Ritual', which is why I commented on it. I totally agree with you though that if one is approaching Hawkwind from a Motorhead/Lemmy angle then their third album is where things really take off. But, I always approached H'wind as a vehicle for Dave Brock more than a band that Lemmy was once in.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I am a warrior on the edge of acquiring a post Lemmy Hawkwind lp...

Over the last two or three years i have really enjoyed buying the lps and absorbing them before moving on to the next.

On this thread Levitation and PXR5 have been given nods.
But i really like the artwork and title of Quark Strangeness and Charm.
Any further pointers?
Heavy Tourism
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

I have been a Hawkwind fan for ages; but "since no one can own everything", I do not have some of the later LP's, and the latter reincarnations; I did enjoy "Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music", (which is really quite different from the earlier Hawkwind as I remember) and some singles; but I did like "HAWKLORDS" with the LP "25 Years On", which is c. 1978, after Hawkwind "first" disbanded long ago. The title track and "Psi Power" come to mind; but I must admit I have not heard much for years - NOT because I dislike them, I have very fond memories of enjoying Hawkwind, but I have not the time to listen as much as I'd like.

I'm certain we all have some point at which most bands change how or what they do, but in fairness, "Hawkwind" changed much more than simply their musical lineup over the years, and this may account for certain eras of the band being better thought of than others.

Personally, I enjoy the first 5-6 LPs more, and that bias may simply be because I heard them and enjoyed them more times than most latter material I have. But they are a very talented crowd, and Space Ritual, Doremifasolatido, their S/T, all of these are great albums in my opinion.

Frankly, I too am curious to hear the newer and newest of what they have done.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Well let's see; post-Lemmy what happened was that Bob Calvert kinda semi took over as lead singer and a lot of the next few LPs revolves around him. Musically and stylistically they're quite different, and it's hard to recommend them on anything other than a "try before you buy" basis. You'll probably find something you like, for sure (I'd personally recommend QSC on the strength of Damnation Alley alone, but please understand that's a personal opinion and not a general vote of confidence in it).

Levitation (with is both post-Lemmy and post-Calvert) is probably the one to get, as it's closest in style to the classic years, so it'll be easier to make the transition. After that I kinda lose interest.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I recently picked up Hall of the Mountain Grill for one US dollar.

The cover's a bit worn, and it's not noise-free, but I'm listening on headphones now and it sounds great!

I found Live Seventy Nine recently, also for a dollar, but the cover has some water damage on the bottom front.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Nik Turner has died.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Yeah saw that, 82 I think, that’s a grand old age and still performing till quite recently, always be held in regard for his contribution to those early Hawkwind yrs
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Very sad to hear of Nik’s passing. We had a blast of Hall of the Mountain Grill in tribute. That’s an extraordinary record and Nik was right at the heart of it.