CN Tower Interview

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

DanielD1
New user

CN Tower Interview

Post by DanielD1 »

DanielD1
New user

Re: CN Tower Interview

Post by DanielD1 »

heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

"This is supposed to be a diagram of what love is. Do you agree?"

"........................................................................................................................................................................no." :lol:

This is very cool. She really got something different out of him for this interview. He was really funny and seems like he'd be great company.

Her take on the album as a kind of trip through the various stages of a break-up, particularly the sense of acceptance as explored in Cool Waves, is uncannily similar to mine. The fact he kind of goes quiet when she presents him with this interpretation is telling. I applaud her for trying to dig deep here too. They're friends, aren't they? There has been recent pics of them together.

A great video to watch, and nice to think he had some good times during that era given that he has said it was rough touring with that lineup.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

By far my favorite Spiritualized® recording.
I love that show.
Thanks for the post.
Never seen it before.
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

heisenberg wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:00 pm "This is supposed to be a diagram of what love is. Do you agree?"

"........................................................................................................................................................................no." :lol:

This is very cool. She really got something different out of him for this interview. He was really funny and seems like he'd be great company.

Her take on the album as a kind of trip through the various stages of a break-up, particularly the sense of acceptance as explored in Cool Waves, is uncannily similar to mine. The fact he kind of goes quiet when she presents him with this interpretation is telling. I applaud her for trying to dig deep here too. They're friends, aren't they? There has been recent pics of them together.
The interviewer's name is Sook-Yin Lee. This was a show she hosted on the MuchMusic channel (Canada's answer to MTV) called The Wedge, dedicated to "alternative music."

Sook-Yin is probably best known outside of Canada for being the lead actress in the movie Shortbus.

She's a really cool lady, roughly Jason's age. She played a part in shaping my tastes when I was a lad. I'm not aware of her having any kind of relationship with Jason besides being a fan, but I may be wrong. To be honest, Jason doesn't strike me as especially at ease with her in this interview. But she always had a kind of intense, probing (almost pestering) interview style.
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

quite something!
thank you
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

good dope/good fun wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:57 pm By far my favorite Spiritualized® recording.
I love that show.
Any reason for it being especially good? Not many boots I don't have, but this is one of them....
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Thank you for these. I really enjoyed this interview. Unlike most interviews i have seen with Jason.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
good dope/good fun
Known user

Dreamweapon wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:37 am
good dope/good fun wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:57 pm By far my favorite Spiritualized® recording.
I love that show.
Any reason for it being especially good? Not many boots I don't have, but this is one of them....
Fantastic sound and a blistering performance.
For a long time I was convinced it was a SBD recording, but years ago someone claimed that it was their recording that they taped that was in circulation.
This version of Shine A Light hits a peak unlike all of the others and sounds like an airplane taking off (just my opinion there).
It's quite good.

I would offer to upload it but my only copy is in iTunes and in mp3 format.
If no one else comes through this thread with some FLACS, I'll figure out how to upload my mp3 copy.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I don’t think FLACs exist of this show to be honest given its vintage…

It’s pretty good though. The thing about ‘Shine a light’ is true.
O P 8
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

thirding the Shine A Light highlight.
what a special show.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

fun interview. people need the learn the first rule of interviewing Jason though- don't ask about anything personal!

not to be a party pooper but I don't hugely rate the CN Tower recording myself. yes the version of Shine a Light is great, it takes off unlike most other versions. but as a whole there's other shows from that era I'd much rather listen to.
on a lot of the early Ladies and Gents tour dates there was this kind of chorus effect on Jason's voice that I don't like. you can hear it on the clips from that video.

I wonder what the capacity of the show even was? wasn't it like in the cafeteria at the top of the tower
BessieBoporBach
Known user

Post by BessieBoporBach »

angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:23 am fun interview. people need the learn the first rule of interviewing Jason though- don't ask about anything personal!

not to be a party pooper but I don't hugely rate the CN Tower recording myself. yes the version of Shine a Light is great, it takes off unlike most other versions. but as a whole there's other shows from that era I'd much rather listen to.
on a lot of the early Ladies and Gents tour dates there was this kind of chorus effect on Jason's voice that I don't like. you can hear it on the clips from that video.

I wonder what the capacity of the show even was? wasn't it like in the cafeteria at the top of the tower
Exactly. There's not very much space up there. I gather that there were around 30 people present.

It was really a publicity thing, not a real gig with tickets sold. Apparently pretty much everyone present was either a journalist or Arista personnel. Arista had an office in Toronto on Victoria Park.

I'm kind of surprised it wasn't filmed and televised (e.g. by MuchMusic or Bravo, at the time a sister station) but it's hard to get a proper remote setup into the "bulb" of the CN Tower.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Here's a link to the CN Tower gig.
Sorry it's mp3.
I feel bad talking about it and not sharing it.
IMO everyone should have this recording.
Lemme know if it doesn't work.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/fo3bcf

I'm curious what angelsighs preferred shows are from the LAG tour/shows.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Many thanks - looking forward to it
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

good dope/good fun wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:05 am I'm curious what angelsighs preferred shows are from the LAG tour/shows.
That's a good question. If we take 97 and 98 together, it's got to be Meltdown Festival which is utterly out of this world.
If we just stick to 97 (and i do tend to make that split in my mind too) I listen most to Oxford Sound City (Oct) and The Garage London (Sep)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

BzaInSpace wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 pm
sunray wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 pm San Diego 31 March 1998 FLAC: https://www108.zippyshare.com/v/KAEh4fWw/file.html
This show is unreal.

I've said it before, but I think it's a better representation of that band - and a much better show - than the offical RAH 1997 release.
The zippyshare thing won’t work now but I’ll upload it if anyone here hasn’t heard it. Like Angelsighs says there’s a distinct difference in the 1997-1998 shows. This was beyond supporting Radiohead and the whole thing was full of just acid and electricity and this long leaning thing. Everything segued into every thing else.

I still stand behind that quote. But I need to listen to it again. The last time I heard it was playing through a MP3 player on the way to Castlemilk on a long bus journey in early 2010… probably
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

San Diego 1998 is essential listening.
Fantastic setlist, brilliant performance and an excellent recording 8) :D
angelsighs wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:37 pm
good dope/good fun wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:05 am I'm curious what angelsighs preferred shows are from the LAG tour/shows.
That's a good question. If we take 97 and 98 together, it's got to be Meltdown Festival which is utterly out of this world.
If we just stick to 97 (and i do tend to make that split in my mind too) I listen most to Oxford Sound City (Oct) and The Garage London (Sep)
Meltdown has been mentioned a lot here over the years but all i can ever remember from that show is an underwhelming encore with Sonic Youth that consisted of pointless noodling. I must revisit it.
From memory I would also place Deep Ellum, Dallas 12/12/1997 and St. Andrews Hall, Detroit 09/08/1997 as superior to the CN Tower gig.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
good dope/good fun
Known user

Out of all of those mentioned, I do not have the Detroit show.
Any chance of uploading it?

My issues with everything else mentioned are just mine.

The Oxford Sound City show is good, I just never liked how Cop Shoot Cop is cut at the end.
The Garage London show, every copy I have (all 3 of them) have the 2-second gap in between songs and I hate that. I never listen to it (them).
I always preferred the Lollipop Festival over the Meltdown Festival.
Not comparing the 2, but according to my iTunes, that's what I've listened to more.
Those same records show that I have listened to that Dallas show multiple times.
Gonna revisit that one soon...
SpEnCeR1
Known user

Post by SpEnCeR1 »

sunray wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:15 am
Meltdown has been mentioned a lot here over the years but all i can ever remember from that show is an underwhelming encore with Sonic Youth that consisted of pointless noodling. I must revisit it.
yes, Meltdown is great, Electricity > Home Of The Brave > The Individual crackles with energy, feels like the sequence is going to spin out of control.

the SQ dips towards the end, Think I'm In Love gets a bit blurry
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

good dope/good fun wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:29 pm Out of all of those mentioned, I do not have the Detroit show.
St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit 1997: https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/FTNiw92D/file.html
Please share as Flac, thanks.

Could someone please share Meltdown and Oxford Sound City, preferably in Flac? My Meltdown is incomplete and i don't appear to have Oxford. I suspect my recollection of both is from some ancient tapes that i wouldn't have listened to since the 90s.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Thanks for the Detroit show.
Very much appreciate it.
Definitely never heard it before.
I don't think I have any shows from that era that have All Of My Thoughts in the setlist.

I do have the Meltdown and Oxford Sound City shows, but they are in my iTunes and in mp3 format.
If no one can post the Flacs I can always hit you with what I have.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I would help out and share but unfortunately my laptop went kaput a few days ago. My music is on a hard drive so i just need to find a way to get the files off
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

I only have the Meltdown show in mp3, but in case anyone else is after it, here you are:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4o9n6wig ... l.rar/file
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

sunray wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm
good dope/good fun wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:29 pm Out of all of those mentioned, I do not have the Detroit show.
St. Andrew's Hall, Detroit 1997: https://www80.zippyshare.com/v/FTNiw92D/file.html
Thanks for this! Haven't heard this one. And you must have put a spell on the files as I converted the FLAC to mp3 for my phone and they wouldn't convert properly lol
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Vancouver wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 pm
Thanks for this! Haven't heard this one. And you must have put a spell on the files as I converted the FLAC to mp3 for my phone and they wouldn't convert properly lol
I have the show in mp3 if you'd like me to upload it....
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

i'll try another program first, but thanks!
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Dreamweapon wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:58 pm
Vancouver wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:41 pm
I have the show in mp3 if you'd like me to upload it....
OK I would actually love this now. Not sure why those FLAC files aren't converting for me. Never had an issue like this before. Cheers!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sorry about that Vancouver, i've no idea why you have a problem converting the files either :?

@Dreamweapon; thanks for the Meltdown show but you're missing Oh Happy Day and Shine A Light at the beginning.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

As requested - Spz in Detroit (mp3):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a8pq9bke ... 7.rar/file
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I think there's two versions of Meltdown. one was broadcast live by John Peel, you can hear him introduce it going straight into Electric Mainline
then another one with all tracks (perhaps broadcast later?)

I think the versions have slightly different sound quality or mastering. I love the huge sound of the live broadcast so just insert the other tracks around it.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

sunray wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:29 am Sorry about that Vancouver, i've no idea why you have a problem converting the files either :?
No need to be sorry! Much appreciate the sharing.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Dreamweapon wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 am As requested - Spz in Detroit (mp3):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/a8pq9bke ... 7.rar/file
And thank you kindly for this!
good dope/good fun
Known user

Here's the Oxford Sound City show.
Sorry it's mp3.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/h2uki0
good dope/good fun
Known user

Interesting.
My copy of the Meltdown Festival is also missing Oh Happy Day and Shine A Light...
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

25 years ago tonight, Spiritualized played the CN Tower: