Crazy RSD release

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

eelnekwah
Known user

Crazy RSD release

Post by eelnekwah »

Pre orders are now live at spiritualized.com
sunray
Known user

Re: Crazy RSD release

Post by sunray »

£14.35 for bog standard shipping!!!!! :shock: :evil:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
adamhx
Known user

Post by adamhx »

£27.64 with P&P... for a three track 12". Why do I always feel like I am being ripped off on the Spz store.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I'll just try and pick one up instore on/after RSD.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Did get quite excited when I saw the FB post , and quickly jumped on it . Quickly went through the ordering process thinking I was ordering one of the yellow versions , then realised it was the black . I think i read that this was a record store day only release so went for it on impulse as a result of this . That Junior Kimborough cover is cracker though
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

eelnekwah wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:27 pm Did get quite excited when I saw the FB post , and quickly jumped on it . Quickly went through the ordering process thinking I was ordering one of the yellow versions , then realised it was the black . I think i read that this was a record store day only release so went for it on impulse as a result of this . That Junior Kimborough cover is cracker though
I like black vinyl if you decide to unload it. Hoping to find it in the USA though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Thread merge perhaps?
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Cannot believe the UK postage. £7.65.....better be gold plated!!!! :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/endsprings
https://dustwindtales.wordpress.com
https://endsprings.bandcamp.com
https://twitter.com/endsprings
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

dselevan2 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:33 pm
eelnekwah wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:27 pm Did get quite excited when I saw the FB post , and quickly jumped on it . Quickly went through the ordering process thinking I was ordering one of the yellow versions , then realised it was the black . I think i read that this was a record store day only release so went for it on impulse as a result of this . That Junior Kimborough cover is cracker though
I like black vinyl if you decide to unload it. Hoping to find it in the USA though.
I'll stick with the black i think . Not prepared to go searching for the yellow ..... or pay the prices
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

'Crazy' prices. Wavering on this one, £27 for three tracks, one of which I already own. I have bought everything they ever released, but really not sure about this.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

I am also wavering. How many times will I actually play it? I don't have a physical version of the Kimbrough cover though, which I always thought was great and kinda what Amazing Grace should have sounded like!

Pretty sure this does look like actual demos though, rather than the live promo tracks? Thats pretty cool right.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

After seeing the blurb on Rought Trade site I'm thinking they are early mixes that J did rather than actual "demos" of the tracks. That's the feel I'm getting.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

endsprings wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:39 am After seeing the blurb on Rought Trade site I'm thinking they are early mixes that J did rather than actual "demos" of the tracks. That's the feel I'm getting.
Yeah think you are right. I very much doubt J ever does traditional demos where he strums the song or something. But still, early mixes could be quite interesting
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

angel-sighs wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:12 pm
endsprings wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:39 am After seeing the blurb on Rought Trade site I'm thinking they are early mixes that J did rather than actual "demos" of the tracks. That's the feel I'm getting.
Yeah think you are right. I very much doubt J ever does traditional demos where he strums the song or something. But still, early mixes could be quite interesting
Totally, how he envisioned the tracks to initally sound!
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

adamhx wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:17 pm £27.64 with P&P... for a three track 12". Why do I always feel like I am being ripped off on the Spz store.
This was the exact moment I cancelled out of my order. Will wait for RSD and hopefully pick it up for less later on.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

£30 is a double vinyl record. I've been a completist and a strong supporter of buying hard copies of bands I love. There's been no redress over the shambolic and patchy reissue vinyl - some great and some unplayable. £30 for a 12" is just nuts. Surely there has to be some sort of compromise between people willing to buy hard copies and those that don't. But this is just daft.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I've ordered one of these earlier this afternoon as by the time I've included travel to my nearest record shop, which might not have it in stock anyway, I'd have spend more than the postage cost (£20 for the vinyl is still nuts though).

I've literally just received an email saying it's been dispatched! Anyone else had anything?
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
PopeJez
Known user

Post by PopeJez »

Yep - mine is on the way too
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Pffft, be arsed with this. RSD ripoff.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Is it a UK RSD release? Checked a few online shops lists and not seen it available and if it was it wouldn’t be available to pre-order from the band, that’s not RSD’s way of doing things.
Could it be that it’s a US only release and the ones for sale from the band had to be imported, adding a bit to the price? I’m waiting to hear how great it sounds before inevitably caving and ordering,
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

£19.99 + £3.50 UK shipping from the Spiritualized bandcamp page, includes download
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mkb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:55 am £19.99 + £3.50 UK shipping from the Spiritualized bandcamp page, includes download
Comes to a total of €36 with p&p to get it in Ireland! Aargh!!!!
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Came in to post the bandcamp news. Only a few quid less p&p but still highlights how ridiculous that charge is from the official store.
Spiby
Known user

Post by Spiby »

mkb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:55 am £19.99 + £3.50 UK shipping from the Spiritualized bandcamp page, includes download
Still over £20 for a 12" single. Nuts. I regret not buying the Anyway That You Want Me remixes at the time (probably £3 or so back then!), and now I can't seem to find that anywhere, but it sounds like these are "just" demos, and the Junior Kimborough cover (which I do LOVE) is available elsewhere anyway.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Sorry, to correct my earlier post I don't think bandcamp orders for this do come with a download
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Rather surprisingly, given the post office strike, my copy has arrived.

I got lucky and got a yellow one, unless all of the orders from the official site are the same?

I'm Coming Home Again sounds great and very, very polished for a 'demo', only listened once so far and I think some variances from the album version, a little longer maybe and backing voices more prominent perhaps. Need to listen again. Down side on my copy is a click/tick near the end of the track, but I haven't given it a proper clean yet, so hopefully that's just pressing plant gunk.

Crazy is a bit spot the difference time!

Sad Days, Lonely Nights is what it is.

All in all quite nice, but not what you'd call an essential purchase or value for money, btw mine came with no download info.
endsprings
Known user

Post by endsprings »

Got mine today. From official site but no yellow, just black!!

First listen.....I'm coming home sounds very nice. Vocals clearer and a more cleaner mix, less effects. More prominent sounds.

Crazy difference is subtle. Again vocals sound clearer. Seemed slower to me too, probably isn't. Again less effects to my ears.

Sad Days, Lonely Nights cover I hadn't heard before. Good tune.

Problem I have with it is vinyl quality. Loads of pops and clicks through Crazy. Other two weren't as bad.

Again the postage was shocking. I personally think in todays times that vinyl of this size, with this type of sleeve is gonna be around £20 regardless of how many tunes on it!!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Maybe there's no download because it's (supposedly) a Record Store Day release.

RSD kind of began as a symbol of solidarity with vinyl, and the bricks & mortar sellers.

(So why is it widely available online?)

It'd be nice to listen to it* on the train, in the car, at a park, etc, and not just whichever room your record player is in.

* & other download-less vinyl
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

endsprings wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:15 pm Got mine today. From official site but no yellow, just black!!

First listen.....I'm coming home sounds very nice. Vocals clearer and a more cleaner mix, less effects. More prominent sounds.

Crazy difference is subtle. Again vocals sound clearer. Seemed slower to me too, probably isn't. Again less effects to my ears.

Sad Days, Lonely Nights cover I hadn't heard before. Good tune.

Problem I have with it is vinyl quality. Loads of pops and clicks through Crazy. Other two weren't as bad.

Again the postage was shocking. I personally think in todays times that vinyl of this size, with this type of sleeve is gonna be around £20 regardless of how many tunes on it!!
Yes not too happy with that assertion but I think you might be right, pretty sure I bought a gussied up 7” earlier this yr that cost £15, coloured vinyl, 3D label, it’s nice but £15 for two songs only an idiot would say that’s not a bit self-indulgent and yes I’m now looking at my own vinyl spending
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Just had mine delivered from Bella Union (via Bandcamp) and got a yellow one. Absolutely delighted.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Glad to hear the feedback from people about what the contents of this actually sound like. If it's a case of spot the difference I think I am gonna give it a miss. Still feel bad as it still looks pretty nice, but I just can't justify the price
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angel-sighs wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:49 pm Glad to hear the feedback from people about what the contents of this actually sound like. If it's a case of spot the difference I think I am gonna give it a miss. Still feel bad as it still looks pretty nice, but I just can't justify the price
I couldn't justify the price either which is why i've requested it as a Christmas present. Moral conundrums disposed with :D
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

I managed to get a yellow one too! It's pretty.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

sunray wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:44 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:49 pm Glad to hear the feedback from people about what the contents of this actually sound like. If it's a case of spot the difference I think I am gonna give it a miss. Still feel bad as it still looks pretty nice, but I just can't justify the price
I couldn't justify the price either which is why i've requested it as a Christmas present. Moral conundrums disposed with :D
Well, i guess that's another approach😀
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I really want to hear more reviews of this album. I would like to listen to it online as well. I would have 100% pre ordered this for the cool looking packaging, however, I have multiple versions of the Pure Phase reissue and Lazer Guided Melodies reissues that do not play right and are somehow incompatible with my vintage dual record player. I think others with fancier modern record players might have more luck with these colored vinyl issues. I would definitely pick this up if I encountered it in the wild on black vinyl but the shipping to USA is forcing it to compete in my mind with albums I can actually enjoy on my setup. I might sound like a grouch here, but the vintage spiritualized stuff just sounds so amazing compared to what is being put out now. No one can do it all during a global pandemic so no hard feelings from me. I just wish they could make a record that doesn't skip/pop all the time. The last LP actually sounded good, so maybe I should give this a shot.
catweazel
Known user

Post by catweazel »

It sounds like they've hired Roger Waters' crew to do this one:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/rog ... and%201966.

Sticking with Floyd and over-priced nonsense:

https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Books-Art/Ar ... BHJ0ZQ41R9

That's 240 euros or dollars for nothing more than a big fancy cardboard box.

Absolute genius.

Upset at paying £30 for a 12"?

I think you've all got yourselves a bargain there :)
heisenberg
Known user

Post by heisenberg »

catweazel wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:36 pm It sounds like they've hired Roger Waters' crew to do this one:

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/rog ... and%201966.

Sticking with Floyd and over-priced nonsense:

https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Books-Art/Ar ... BHJ0ZQ41R9

That's 240 euros or dollars for nothing more than a big fancy cardboard box.

Absolute genius.

Upset at paying £30 for a 12"?

I think you've all got yourselves a bargain there :)
I particularly loved this quote-

'In perhaps the most ridiculous piece of music marketing ever, the official site boasts that this set is “5 1/2 feet when fully open” and “weighs 25 Ibs”. Whoopee Doo. When you have to start boasting about size and girth you know you’re in trouble.'
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Despite getting an email on 23rd November stating it was dispatched I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered.

I know the posties have been on strike and things are getting delayed, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was actually dispatched as stated or if it's gone "missing". CDs order from other places (Bandcamp) since have come within a few days.

Is anyone else still waiting for theirs to be delivered?

I've had other parcels and letters just left on the door step, in full view of the road, without the postman even trying to post them or ring my doorbell (working from home means I'm always in).
It's nice to be liked,
rapideye
Known user

Post by rapideye »

I wasn't going to buy this until an email came in from Bella Union. Suckered into it. Damn these direct marketing corporate pigs!
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

rameses wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:28 pm Despite getting an email on 23rd November stating it was dispatched I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered.

I know the posties have been on strike and things are getting delayed, but I'm beginning to wonder if it was actually dispatched as stated or if it's gone "missing". CDs order from other places (Bandcamp) since have come within a few days.

Is anyone else still waiting for theirs to be delivered?

I've had other parcels and letters just left on the door step, in full view of the road, without the postman even trying to post them or ring my doorbell (working from home means I'm always in).
Not received mine yet either. That was £7.65 postage well spent. For that price they could have used a courier considering Royal Mail were on strike for the two consecutive days after this was posted.

You should have a tracking number, which is only relevant to prove that it has been received by Royal Mail & will only then be activated again once it has been delivered, but it’s better than nothing. To add to the annoyance, I received an email last week from my local record shop, Stranger Than Paradise, saying that they have it in stock for £24.99. Ridiculously priced, but less than I paid the official shop, and I’d have it by now.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Local shop here has it for $25 (Canadian). Will likely pick it up next time I'm in if they have it. Glad I didn't order online and pay for postage.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Mine arrived while I was having a stay in hospital. I got home yesterday and opened it today to find a yellow record. I've not played it yet though.
Last edited by olan on Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mywhitenoise
Known user

Post by mywhitenoise »

I made a rip, for those who want a digital copy.

https://mega.nz/folder/R500zQbA#t7dfvjmCpubiY8E1Lo0y6A
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Cheers for that!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Thanks for the share.

I'm still waiting for my copy to be delivered :( so I've logged a ticket with Kontraband.
It's nice to be liked,
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Just got the record today.
Sometimes people tend to forget what an incredible band this is.
This is an amazing release.
Love every bit of it, super quality release.
Dunno how the yellow version sounds like, but don't let a stupid color version misguide you, the black one sounds superb!
"Thank you"
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Received as Christmas present. Black vinyl from the bandcamp page.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

It's good. Both songs are defo from the same session as from the album, so... maybe... less juiced-up? I personally do not understand the rush towards the colored versions and thus making every band having a light bulb bursting over their heads and... well, you know the rest. Lets hope that the Kimbrough cover gets back into the setlist, as it has been performed indeed only once. Yo crew, you know who you are and HOW shall we forget that evening. Not.
ABOCA
Known user

Post by ABOCA »

Finally received it, which I think is a replacement copy, and the black vinyl does indeed sound great. Sad Days & Lonely Nights has never sounded better as far as I’m concerned.
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

herman wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:33 pm Just got the record today.
Sometimes people tend to forget what an incredible band this is.
This is an amazing release.
Love every bit of it, super quality release.
Dunno how the yellow version sounds like, but don't let a stupid color version misguide you, the black one sounds superb!
Agreed. Stunning as always.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Glad to say Kontraband sent me a replacement copy (only took a few days to come). :D

I'd be interested to know where the other one's ended up.
It's nice to be liked,