Coupe du Monde / Copa de Mondial / World Cup 2022 Qatar

For anything else...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, spzretent, MODLAB, NightWash

spacemanrich
Known user

Coupe du Monde / Copa de Mondial / World Cup 2022 Qatar

Post by spacemanrich »

Didn't a get a chance to post before the World Cup, but the three teams I like ( no particular order ) for this year's tournament are : England, France and Argentina. InglaTerre (spanish) is off to a terrific start as I'm typing it is 6am stateside and England is up 3-0 on Iran. I, also like France's chances regardless of the surprising exit of Karim Benzema ( muscle tear ) they might have enough to go further ? But in any case, this is Argentina's time and I think it will be a good farewell for Messi. Outside contenders could be Portugal if they could get past the Ronaldo debacle ...
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Coupe du Monde / Copa de Mondial / World Cup 2022 Qatar

Post by runcible »

It's hard to get excited about this World Cup. From the moment Qatar started their bid the dodgy goings on began and there's little doubt in my mind - and many others - that it was all done in secret meetings with many brown envelopes and such like changing hands. The fact one of the biggest sporting tournaments in existence was awarded to a country with no football infrastructure was enough for most football fans to smell a rat. But it's been going on for decades. The Russian tournament was another fix, but then with so many questionable countries hosting sporting events like the Olympics it's hard to shift away from the corruption.

As for Qatar... The deaths of the migrant workers and the country's unacceptable stance against the LGBTQ+ community means it's all something of a farce, and a very unpleasant one at that. The sight of people wearing rainbow hats being forced to remove them by stadium officials is not something I thought I'd witness in a modern World Cup, and it's certainly not something FIFA should tolerate. It shows how weak an organisation FIFA is. Elsewhere the u-turn on the One Love armband is very poor, as is the u-turn on the booze sales. Whilst alcohol may not be important the goalposts have been moved at the last minute. And er... aren't Budweiser a major sponsor of the tournament? What a mess. Against it all various celebrity sportspeople have their eye on the dollar when they could have highlighted the negatives of the hosts. I very much enjoyed Ian Hislop sticking it to Gary Neville on Have I Got News For You for taking money to be a World Cup pundit. That arse Neville didn't know what to say and looked like a child who'd been caught stealing sweets. On the plus side it seems for every money grabbing David Beckham there's a Joe Lycett, and thank fuck for that.

So I hope that what comes out of this competition is that countries with laws as Draconian as Qatar are loudly distanced from what's acceptable and what isn't. I won't comment on any actual football as this is an opportunity to show countries like Qatar up. It's not mixing politics with sport. Politics is about opinions and viewpoints, whereas being gay or whatever is part of someone's make up. Prejudice has no place in football, simple as that.
BROKENHEART
Known user

Post by BROKENHEART »

runcible wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:57 pm It's hard to get excited about this World Cup. From the moment Qatar started their bid the dodgy goings on began and there's little doubt in my mind - and many others - that it was all done in secret meetings with many brown envelopes and such like changing hands. The fact one of the biggest sporting tournaments in existence was awarded to a country with no football infrastructure was enough for most football fans to smell a rat. But it's been going on for decades. The Russian tournament was another fix, but then with so many questionable countries hosting sporting events like the Olympics it's hard to shift away from the corruption.

As for Qatar... The deaths of the migrant workers and the country's unacceptable stance against the LGBTQ+ community means it's all something of a farce, and a very unpleasant one at that. The sight of people wearing rainbow hats being forced to remove them by stadium officials is not something I thought I'd witness in a modern World Cup, and it's certainly not something FIFA should tolerate. It shows how weak an organisation FIFA is. Elsewhere the u-turn on the One Love armband is very poor, as is the u-turn on the booze sales. Whilst alcohol may not be important the goalposts have been moved at the last minute. And er... aren't Budweiser a major sponsor of the tournament? What a mess. Against it all various celebrity sportspeople have their eye on the dollar when they could have highlighted the negatives of the hosts. I very much enjoyed Ian Hislop sticking it to Gary Neville on Have I Got News For You for taking money to be a World Cup pundit. That arse Neville didn't know what to say and looked like a child who'd been caught stealing sweets. On the plus side it seems for every money grabbing David Beckham there's a Joe Lycett, and thank fuck for that.

So I hope that what comes out of this competition is that countries with laws as Draconian as Qatar are loudly distanced from what's acceptable and what isn't. I won't comment on any actual football as this is an opportunity to show countries like Qatar up. It's not mixing politics with sport. Politics is about opinions and viewpoints, whereas being gay or whatever is part of someone's make up. Prejudice has no place in football, simple as that.
Totally agree with all said here. It just makes you wonder what else is going to happen at this tournament. Just thought maybe some teams may have stood up for the LGBTQ+ community and worn the armbands, even with the threat of bookings. Sad times.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Tantalizing match - England v. France next Saturday. Match could go either way. Seems like France isn't missing Karim Benzema and are playing well. Might as well wear my 3 Lions kit since I'm going to the Pig and Whistle ( english pub ) to watch the match ...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Yeah, looking forward to Saturday alright, should be good.
Loved Son's pass to set up S.Korea's injury time winner against Portugal. If Messi played that we'd never hear the end of it.

Bono's in goal for Morocco..."In the naaaame of glove, no score in the name of glove."
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

All four of the quarter matches should be good, including the Croatia v. Brazil. The Netherland v. Argentina could go either way, as well as England v. France. Even though Portugal is playing well don't count the Moroccans out. They play good defense and have a top notch goal keeper. HA, looks like Ronaldo will be a substitute player from now on considering how Goncalo Ramos played the other night ... I suspect he'll bolt to the Saudi Arabian club. Who wouldn't for $ 200 million dollars a season and no top European club want him ...
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Wow, both matches today went to penalty kicks. Didn't watch the Croatia v. Brazil match ( went to the cafe and grocery shopping ) thinking that Brazil would win this one. I'm glad that they didn't. I've always thought they were over-rated ( to be honest ) and I usually don't follow the opinions of pundits, but Gary Neville got this one right where he stated that everytime Brazil scores a goal they do a little dance and is " disrespectful. " Hate Neymar. He can cry all he wants. Wow, the 2nd match was just as good. Testy match ( 17 yellow cards given out a new World Cup record ). That set piece in the 100th minute for Netherlands was brilliant.

If today's matches were an indication tomorrow's matches should be just as good. Even though Portugal is playing well don't count out the Moroccans. They have home field advantage. Every Arab nation will be supporting them whether your a shiite, sunni, hamas, hezbollah, muslim brotherhood all them will have Morocco's back. England and France - too close to call. If it goes to pk's, France will win.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

England v France, game of the tournament for me. Quality from start to finish as two heavyweights slugged it out. England on top for most of it but alas not to be. A lot of the other matches have been thrilling for the last 10-15 minutes but not for the duration. This one was at it from the off.

Wish i'd put money on Morocco for their last two games. Fancied them against Spain and Portugal and wasn't surprised to see them win both. I really like the idea of Dejan Lovren being a World Champion, we shall see.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Morocco v. Portugal - not surprised by the outcome. The Moroccans had several advantages 1) home field advantage. During this tournament (World Cup) Arab nations can put aside their political / religious differences and support Morocco as well as their united front of " Free Palestine. " 2) Allah is a powerful ally , " Allahuh Akhbar ". Besides they have a great defense and goal keeper and held a clean sheet ( except for the one own goal ). Morocco conquered the Iberian Peninsula bring down Espana and Portugal in the tournament.

England v. France - another great match. Well officiated. Should be no controversy if you should mention Kane being " nudged " just outside the box in the 1st half. England had their chances. Kane's miss certainly didn't help. Gareth Southgate should keep his post. Did as well as anyone could expect.

Would like to see Argentina v. France. Argentina winning it for Messi's last World Cup would be fantastic.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Great Final Match. Manchester City's Julian Alvarez involved in all three goals for Argentina. France played well tonight. I want Messi to get that World Cup Trophy on Sunday. Wouldn't either country winning it. At least it's not Brazil.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

The_Best_WorldCup_I_Have_Ever_Watched. Thought Argentina won it with two goals in the 1st half. Seems like they want to give it away to France i.e.- Otamendi foul in the box and the very apparent handball with 8 minutes left in overtime. Thought Messi would be the hero in the match, but the Argentinian handball and Mbappe penalty kick negated that. What a final - great save in the waning moments in overtime by Martinez stopping that last shot by France. What a match ! Viva Argentina ! After that win, apparently Messi now states that he won't retire from international play. He wants another Rimini Trophy for Argentina ! CR7 probably watched the match with envy :P. 🇦🇷 🇦🇷 🇦🇷

First time in the history of the World Cup ... no english fans arrested.

Pommies + Football + Alcohol = Hooligans ! :oops:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... /51072329/
Billy_Whizz
Known user

Post by Billy_Whizz »

It really was a cracking final. England, as always, can't just lose properly. It always has to be a penalty miss/disallowed goal/bad refereeing decision/penalty not given/something that makes you feel a bit hard done by.
REVOLUTION * PURITY * LOVE * SUICIDE * ACCURACY