2022 Albums

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nghst
Known user

2022 Albums

Post by nghst »

These are the ones I have or look forward to getting: So far AURORA: The Gods We Can Touch, The Mysterines: Reeling, Kurt Vile: watch my moves, Spiritualized: Everything Was Beautiful, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard: Omnium Gatherum.
stegraham
Known user

Re: 2022 Albums

Post by stegraham »

Well these are the ones that I've already got (first 3) or pre-ordered/know about.

Eels - Extreme Witchcraft
Earthless - Night Parade of One Hundred Demons
Andy Bell - Flicker
Loop - Sonancy
Lightening in a Twilight Hour - Overwintering
Asteroid #4 - Tones of the Sparrow
Spiritualized - Everything was Beautiful
Lazy Eyes - Songbook
Belle & Sebastian - A Bit of Previous
Tess Parks - And Those Who Were Seeen Dancing

I've seen on FB that BJM might have 2 albums out later in the year. House of Love have been (or are) in the studio, same for the Cult and Tallies. Hopefully some new bands / records I know nothing about yet.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I was going to post a list of purchases but basically the Kandodo 4 (Burning the Kandl) is miles ahead of anything I've bought this year. Marvelous record.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's my list:

Wet Leg : Self-Titled
Tomberlin : I Don’t Know Who Needs to Hear This…
Belle & Sebastian : A Bit of Previous
The Smile : TBA
The Sadies : TBA

I'm somewhat interested in the new Kurt Vile, but both singles have been pretty dull, so I don't have high expectations.
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

Another album to add to the list - House of Love have announced their new album is called A State of Grace , and they'll be doing a UK tour in September. Jolly good!
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

The new Loop LP is decent. There is also a double LP of BBC Radio Sessions by Broadcast which is pretty much as you might expect.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

olan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:50 pm The new Loop LP is decent.
That a physical copy or streamed? I think mine has been delayed again for a few weeks. However, i did download it last night but not had a chance to listen to it yet.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:07 pm
olan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:50 pm The new Loop LP is decent.
That a physical copy or streamed? I think mine has been delayed again for a few weeks. However, i did download it last night but not had a chance to listen to it yet.
Physical copy. I actually ventured out to a record shop today and had a bit of a splurge.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Looking forward to in 2022 so far:

Spiritualized- Everything Was Beautiful.
Pictish Trail- Island Family.
Psychic Ills- A Song For Tres. Tres Warren tribute.
Free / Slope- Blissful Repetitions.
Rolling Stones- Live At El Mocambo 1977 4 Lp.
Simple Minds 5 x 5 tour 3 LP RSD 2022.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

spzretent wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:04 pm Looking forward to in 2022 so far:

Spiritualized- Everything Was Beautiful.
Pictish Trail- Island Family.
Psychic Ills- A Song For Tres. Tres Warren tribute.
Free / Slope- Blissful Repetitions.
Rolling Stones- Live At El Mocambo 1977 4 Lp.
Simple Minds 5 x 5 tour 3 LP RSD 2022.
Simple Minds 5x5 is now also available in 24/44.1 on the various downloadsites, I found out today.
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
nghst
Known user

Post by nghst »

Top 75 albums from MOJO. Everything Was Beautiful comes in at 13. https://www.brooklynvegan.com/mojos-top ... s-of-2022/
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

nghst wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:18 am Top 75 albums from MOJO. Everything Was Beautiful comes in at 13. https://www.brooklynvegan.com/mojos-top ... s-of-2022/
While I ve heard off quite a few in that list I’ve only actually heard 7 of them, Micheal Head is a fitting winner, terrific album
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

2022 has been and gone! Wow, that went fast! Top 10 albums anyone? Plenty of decent releases to choose from. I have a top 11 simply because I couldn't make my mind up. Here they are - in no particular order ...

Pale Blue Eyes: Souvenirs - a relatively recent purchase, but I totally love this record. Vibe? A little bit shoegazy, maybe a hint of Ian Master-like vocals, really strong melodies with a nice driving beat.

TVAM: High Art Lite - not sure how to describe these. Definately shoegaze type vocals, got some guitars put maybe mainly synth driven. First heard on Six Music and bought both their albums at once.

The Lazy Eyes: Song Book - I was in two minds whether to include this. I think two thirds of the record is ace, but a few tracks a little bit "meh". But it's their debut record and hopefully they'll go from strength to strength. Fuzz Jam and Where's my Brain? are great.

Wet Leg: Wet Leg - Yes, I feel for the hype. I do like it though! Just a feel good record!

Black Sand: Above the Clouds - Lovely dreamy droney mellow vibes from New Zealand.

Lightning in a Twilight Hour: Overwintering - I've loved everything Bobby Wratten has done. Field Mice, Northern Picture Library, Trembling Blue Stars and now LIATH. Quite a downbeat melancholic record, but really beautiful.

The Cult: Under a Midnight Hour - I went though the "Change Curve" for this. Hated it at first, got a bit depressed that I'd "fallen out" with a band I'd loved for 35 years, well actually one or two are OK, etc etc then this is great! Back to their Dreamtime vibes but on steriods. No "rawk" at all.

Tess Parks: And those who were seeen dancing - Maybe nothign new from Tess, but I just love the sound of this record, and the lovely tunes.

Spiritualized: Everything was Beautiful - I've got to admit it's not my fav Spiritualized release, but it's Spiritualized! Initially disappointed with only 7 tracks, most of which I've heard in some shape or form before, it kinda leaves me wanting more. Whenever I listen to it I end up listening to And Nothing Hurt, then dipping into other later albums. It makes me realise how much good stuff Jason has written and how much I love them.

Asteroid no. 4: Tones of the Sparrow - another great A4 record. Really love Set your sights and Surrounded. The last two records have a had a gothy showgaze vibe I think.

Andy Bell: Flicker - I think both of his solo albums have been better than the last Ride release. Just pre-ordered the companion CD - Strange Loops & Outer Psych which gathers the last threee EPs. Good stuff!

A major disappointment was missing Rose City Band play live. I had tickets to go, but had to have an emergency operation a couple of days before which meant I couldn't attend the gig. Hope Ripley tours the UK in this guise again - would love to see them one day.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Thumper - Delusions Of Grandeur
Gilla Band - Most Normal
Gnod - Hexen Valley
Spiritualized - EWB
Kandodo 4 - Burning The Kandl
The Johnny Halifax Invocation - Acid Bluus Raags Vol.1
Oneida - Success

There's probably others that i've forgotten about.
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Ok My list in Order of merit

1) Mick Head
2) The smile
3) Suede
4)Andy bell
5) Spiritualized
6) Deja Vega
7) Mark Peters
8) Black Angels
9) Pye Corner Audio
10) Soundcarriers
11) Goat
12) Hologram people (soundtrack album)
13) The Hanging Stars
14) Brian Jonestown Massacre
15) Asteroid #4
16) Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I don't have many to list but this is what floated my boat last year.

Sonic Boom/Panda Bear - Reset
Spiritualized - EWB
Sweet Peach Band - Strange Roots and Bad Seeds
69 Deluxe - s/t
Color Green - s/t
Fuxa - Covered In Stars
Hanging Stars - Songs For Somewhere Else
Goose - Dripfield
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Top 10 Albums Of 2022

1. Michael Head & The Red Elastic band- Dear Scott
2. The Three Three Fives- Kind Of Surreal
3. House Of Love- State Of Grace
4. Spiritualized- Everything Was Beautiful
5. Black Sand- Above The Clouds
6. Free Slope- Blissful Repetitions
7. Rancho Relaxo- Spirit Of Ecstasy
8. Hanging Stars- Hollow Heart
9. Fuxa- Covered In Stars
10. Kelley Stoltz- The Stylist
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Sonic Boom & Panda Bear - Reset
Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful
Kandodo - Kandodo 4
Ebi Soda - Honk if you're sad
The Delines - The Sea Drift
Papir - 7

To be honest I don't think that 2022 was a great year for new LPs. I spent more time listening to old LPs by the likes of The Orb and Miles Davis than I did listening to new music.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Oops… Michael Head. How could I have forgotten that one?! My bad!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

1. Kikagaku Moyo - Kumoyo Island,
2. Micheal Head And The Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott,
3. Spiritualized - And Everything Was Beautiful,
4. All Them Witches - Bakers Dozen project.
5. Minami Deutsch - Fortune Goodies,
6. Loop - Sonancy,
7. Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuum,
8. Kendrick Lamar - Mr Morales And The Low Steppers,
9. Earthless - Night Of One Hundred Demons,
10. Richard Dawson - The Blue Cord ( if it had come out earlier this yr I’m sure this would have bee; higher)

All these albums have brought me lots of joy this yr and I think will probably continue to for awhile to come,
stegraham
Known user

Post by stegraham »

I had forgotten about the Fuxa album. What a lovely looking piece of vinyl that is! I haven't had my turntable available much this year, so only managed to listen to the record a couple of times. Two singles/EPs I had forgotten about whilst looking through the very few bits of vinyl I bought this year (I'm mainly a CD man) are the Elephant Stone "Le Voyage De M. Lonely Dans La Lune" EP (great 4 tracks) and also the Pastel Isaiah EP (I've got tickets to go and watch Pastel and Affelcks Palace at the 100 Club in Feb - looking forward to that).
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

In no particular order:

Alison Cotton - The Portrait You Painted of Me
Richard Fearless - Future Rave Memory
Rival Consoles - Now Is
Andy Bell - Flicker
The Utopia Strong - International Treasure
Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
7FO - Music for Himitsu (probably my favourite from this list)

Everything else that's floated my boat has been stuff from 2021 or earlier. Agree with others it's not really been a vintage year.
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

Time Capsule by Particle Kid
Play this a lot
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

These are probably my faves of last year. along with Everything Was Beautiful of course which I genuinely believe maintained a rich vein of form for Jason.
I do seem to be leaning away from song based stuff recently for some reason but I still need to give the Michael Head record another listen. Found the Andy Bell one a step down from the first one and not trippy enough

Pye Corner Audio- Let's Emerge
Szun Waves- Earth Patterns (honestly think a lot will dig this, mix of electronics and free jazz they have posted some bonus tracks on bandcamp too) https://szunwaves.bandcamp.com/album/earth-patterns
Revelators Sounds System- Revelators
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom- Reset
Oren Ambarchi - Ghosted (on the more avant garde side of things Oren is always essential to check out in my book- recently there's also been another mind bending improv record with Haino & O' Rourke, and another more tranquil one called Ghosted with some other players)
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That Pye Corner Audio album is very good alright. Dave had it in his top albums too. A lot of folk here would like it i think; uplifting, droning, ambient electronica. Haze Loops really reminds me of early Spiritualized, the mood of it rather than the exact sounds. The Sonic Boom remix 10" 'Let's Remerge!' is also worth a listen.

Would i be right in thinking this was a departure soundwise from their previous material? Anything i heard before had a darker feel to it and didn't engage me as much.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

sunray wrote:
Would i be right in thinking this was a departure soundwise from their previous material? Anything i heard before had a darker feel to it and didn't engage me as much.
Yes exactly, I had the same experience as you. Their previous material like a lot of the other stuff on Ghost Box was more on the darker and creepier side of things. I liked what I heard, but this new one is brighter and more uplifting and all the better for it