Anyone listen to the new Blur songs?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Anyone listen to the new Blur songs?

Post by TheWarmth »

"Under The Westway" is fantastic. I love the production. Really beautiful. The other one, "The Puritan," didn't really do that much for me. Anyone else interested or have any thoughts? I wish they'd record a new full-length. Surely, it's Albarn that's keeping that from happening.
James T
Known user

Re: Anyone listen to the new Blur songs?

Post by James T »

Blur are definitely my favourite band, but I don't think a great deal to these 2. Coxon saves them, for sure. Under The Westway is nice enough, but I doubt I will listen to it in 10+ years the way I do with their older stuff. The Puritan would be much much better if it didn't have that awful synth sound all over it. Not sure about the idea of a new album, but I am happy with the 3 gigs I am seeing next month.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Here's more on the album: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ma ... liam-orbit
or rather the lack of it..
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

That's an outdated story at this point. That came out in the news before they announced and released the new single. So, hopefully, the band are back on track and will continue working on an album. We won't know anything for certain until an official announcement is made.
squire23
Known user

Post by squire23 »

Personally, I quite like 'Under The Westway' - it brings back memories of Blur at their height producing songs like 'For Tomorrow' & 'The Universal'. It's also quite good to see 4 guys just making music again and not falling out over stupid sh!t. 'The Puritan' is a little too experimental in my book but it is also reminiscent of some of their mid-career B-Side stuff.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I received a reissue double-LP copy of Modern Life Is Rubbish as an early birthday present and it's wonderful. Based on this one, these reissues are well worth the money. It came with a download card for now only the album, but also all of the bonus tracks that come with the cd version. I'm looking forward to getting Parklife in the mail soon and will be tempted to grab others, as well. Recommended!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

TheWarmth wrote: It came with a download card for now only the album, but also all of the bonus tracks that come with the cd version.
I'm sort of confused by this? Did you get all of the bonus tracks which are on the deluxe cd with the mp3 download card?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yes, that is correct!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

loving Under The Westway ,eventually ,like the line about "jet fuel falling down to earth " very Albarn ,
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Westway is a masterpiece. It's so frustrating that they have only released three songs since Think Tank came out in 2003. BTW, I think I saw Blur live three times. When they toured for Think Tank I was skeptical because they didn't have Coxon in tow, but it was an absolutely killer show. I remember being blown away by the massive massive tone of Alex James' bass, which isn't really something you might expect.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

alex james really shined in coxon's absence

some days i think this is my favorite band
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Even though i am not, nor have ever been, a fan of Blur, today i found myself buying a ticket to see Graham Coxon's new project The Waeve. What i've heard sounds alright and i guess the fact that it's a relatively cheap gig in a small venue helped greatly. Still, i am slightly perplexed by my actions!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz83c ... 3ZJBet_6aA
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Nothing wrong with Blur. The early 90's were great with the BritPop movement and their rivalry with Oasis, unless your in Stuart Braithwaite's opinion that " Blur is Shite. "
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

spacemanrich wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm Nothing wrong with Blur. The early 90's were great with the BritPop movement and their rivalry with Oasis, unless your in Stuart Braithwaite's opinion that " Blur is Shite. "
Well i'm not a fan but The Waeve gig piqued my interest. If it had been in a larger venue and an extra fiver on the ticket price i definitely wouldn't have bothered though.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Saw Blur in concert in the 90's. Have a couple of albums of his side project, Gorillaz.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Saw The Waeve in Dublin tonight. Pretty good i must say. Blur had a big outdoor gig in town the previous night and must have partied into the early hours as Coxon was admittedly knackered. Despite a couple of lyrical lapses he was grand though. He certainly wrangled some great sounds out of his guitar. A 5-piece band, including himself and Rosie, that peddled a similar vibe to Broadcast, Gwenno, Unloved etc. along with a bunch of other influences. Just under an hour long set, inlcluding a two song encore, that was all wrapped up by 10pm!

I'd probably go see them again if it was in a similar size venue (200?). Not so sure i'd be bothered in larger surroundings with larger ticket prices. For the time being though i'd definitely recommend them if you get the chance.