European gigs, July 2023

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Ian
Known user

European gigs, July 2023

Post by Ian »

https://twitter.com/officialSpzd/status ... 0349306880

Norway, Sweden, Germany, Netherlands, France... can only be good news for the health of all concerned.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
herman
Known user

Re: European gigs, July 2023

Post by herman »

That's great news!
Hopefully there'll be a Brussels gig too :D
"Thank you"
Feedback Forever
Known user

Post by Feedback Forever »

Finally! Booked two tix for Oslo.
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Amsterdam it'll be then!
"Thank you"
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Gothenburg and Berlin for me :-) A show on a par with the legendary Magasinet '93 set would be just the ticket!
suskind
Known user

Post by suskind »

Anyone interested in getting a drink right before the Amsterdam show? I'm taking a half day off work to go to the show and I'd like to make the most out of the afternoon. :D
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

So, tonight starts the new chapter of the tour in Oslo...
Very curious for your comments, the setlist, etc.
Really stoked for the gig in Amsterdam in a couple of days. I dare to say that I'm nervous like a little kid on a Xmas evening!
"Thank you"
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Will be in Gothenburg tonight, Berlin Tuesday. Will post some impressions.
Feedback Forever
Known user

Nice gig in Oslo yesterday, though too heavy on ballads and quieter songs for our taste. Setlist very similar to last tour. Only surprise was that Always together was back. Will write some more later.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

On paper at least it's not a bad setlist, though the last three songs wouldn't really do it for me: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritua ... 64a3c.html
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Feedback Forever
Known user

sunray wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:33 pm On paper at least it's not a bad setlist, though the last three songs wouldn't really do it for me: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spiritua ... 64a3c.html

That setlist is not right. Here's what they played:

1. Hey Jane
2. She kissed me
3. Shine a light
4. I'm coming home again
5. A perfect miracle
6. Always together with you
7. I'm your man
8. The morning after
9. Here it comes
10. The D song
11. Let it bleed
12. The A song
13. Damaged
14. Soul on fire
15. Come together
16. Sail on through
17. Encore: So long you pretty thing

Highlights were the opening trio, The morning after and A song. We left feeling a bit underwhelmed, though. Hope they'll shake up the setlist and introduce some more energetic stuff along the way. Nice to see Always together back in the set, although it sounded a bit weak. Shame they didn't play the Mainline song too, easily the best thing J has done in years. Apart from the first three songs, they seem to be missing some key elements here and there to really soar. At times they sound more like a classic rock band, and I really miss the more hypnotic and psychedelic elements. Still, fantastic that they're touring, and Jason seemed really appreciative and gave the crowd a big smile before leaving the stage. All in all a nice night out, but far from mindblowing.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ha, yeah that's a big difference in that setlist alright. Almost identical to the last tour and suffering from pacing issues as usual.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

That’s too bad.
We like the old songs too.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Same set in Gothenburg, I was right at the front opposite Jason, I think the set is inflexible because Jason has his lyric book that he flips through so I guess dropping in a new song is difficult. Pretty good performance and lots of love from a good-sized crowd. I’ll be catching the ferry over to Poland this evening for the Berlin show tomorrow…
Feedback Forever
Known user

Jasonsmith wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:26 am Same set in Gothenburg, I was right at the front opposite Jason, I think the set is inflexible because Jason has his lyric book that he flips through so I guess dropping in a new song is difficult. Pretty good performance and lots of love from a good-sized crowd. I’ll be catching the ferry over to Poland this evening for the Berlin show tomorrow…
Shouldn't be too problematic finding the lyrics to other songs if he so desires. It seems they play things a lot safer than necessary.
Feedback Forever
Known user

This reviewer rates the Oslo gig 6/6.

https://www.disharmoni.no/spiritualized ... rce-og-co/
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Same set list in Berlin, highlight for me was a blistering Laid in your arms, hopefully the Poland festival will see a tighter, more dynamic set with a sprinkling of old faves
swmcsherry
Known user

Post by swmcsherry »

Same setlist in Amsterdam - was fortunate enough to score a copy, a first for me.

Damn, I'd love to hear Let it Flow or Lay Back in the Sun in there. Was so glad to see Always Together With You in the lineup, though - gorgeous theater, enthusiastic crowd.

(Brendan, the lurker in the LGM shirt - are you out there? Nice to meet you, however briefly! 😁)
- ...if you've got a lonely heart too...

- Come on baby, stop your crying

- Don't wanna live, but I can't resist

- I would rather add some life to my years
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

So, about the Amsterdam gig last night...
I saw a very tight band, Jason having a grin on his face the whole time (like he remembered a joke or something). Very nice and cheerful crowd.
They played the same setlist as mentioned before and tunes like 'I' m coming home again', 'here it comes, the road', 'soul on fire' and 'd song' are great to listen to on record but we're a bit boring played live. I'm still waiting for a fucked up live version of 'yeah yeah'!
Killers for the evening were the duo 'let it bleed' and 'a song'. That one lifted the spaceship off!
All in all, great night out.
Once again my soul has been spiritualized!
"Thank you"
Feedback Forever
Known user

I recorded the Oslo gig on my phone. Had a listen, and it sounds alright. It might need a bit of EQ-ing. Could send it if anyone's interested.
Len72
New user

Post by Len72 »

Would love to hear it!
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Feedback Forever wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 pm I recorded the Oslo gig on my phone. Had a listen, and it sounds alright. It might need a bit of EQ-ing. Could send it if anyone's interested.
Send it over - happy to run it through SoundForge!

JR
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

jr_pharmacist wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm
Feedback Forever wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 pm I recorded the Oslo gig on my phone. Had a listen, and it sounds alright. It might need a bit of EQ-ing. Could send it if anyone's interested.

JR
sounds great!
"Thank you"
Feedback Forever
Known user

jr_pharmacist wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:03 pm

JR
Nice one! Where should I send it? The file is 121 mb.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

O P 8
Feedback Forever
Known user

BzaInSpace wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:28 am https://wetransfer.com
Cheers! Here's the link: https://we.tl/t-M3W4Fiyoen
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

I saw them in Berlin a few days ago, gotta say i loved it. Im not expecting anything of the old stuff from the band anymore, I got it, they've moved on, they want to play the "other" stuff.
I think what really did it to me compare to previous shows ive seen them, was the fact that I had no idea what to expect,

Spiritualized is my favorite band for 20 years now. Ive listened to so many bootlegs and read gig reviews and setlist here in the forum for many years, and this time i shut down the info completely, i think that also had an affect on the show, not knowing what song gonna be played next, that beautiful transition/mix from each song to the other was just beautiful.
Sure, i wish they've played way more noisy/rocky/psych songs, but they are on a different ride right now. It's mostly melodic stuff, and they are all still very beautiful. when they do press that noisy pedal, they are the kings of rock n roll.

As a side note, I wish the band members would get way more recognition compared to what they receive. i know Spiritualized is mostly about J, but man, those players are top musicians. I would love to read an interview with some of them, what's their contribution, how the musical dynamics works and such...

Anyway , they're still my top favorite band
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

sublow wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:25 am I saw them in Berlin a few days ago, gotta say i loved it. Im not expecting anything of the old stuff from the band anymore, I got it, they've moved on, they want to play the "other" stuff.
I think what really did it to me compare to previous shows ive seen them, was the fact that I had no idea what to expect,

Spiritualized is my favorite band for 20 years now. Ive listened to so many bootlegs and read gig reviews and setlist here in the forum for many years, and this time i shut down the info completely, i think that also had an affect on the show, not knowing what song gonna be played next, that beautiful transition/mix from each song to the other was just beautiful.
Sure, i wish they've played way more noisy/rocky/psych songs, but they are on a different ride right now. It's mostly melodic stuff, and they are all still very beautiful. when they do press that noisy pedal, they are the kings of rock n roll.

As a side note, I wish the band members would get way more recognition compared to what they receive. i know Spiritualized is mostly about J, but man, those players are top musicians. I would love to read an interview with some of them, what's their contribution, how the musical dynamics works and such...

Anyway , they're still my top favorite band
Maybe look into the individuals .... they seem to all be involved with other bands like Stelfox is a member of Starsailor.
I agree with you though
sublow
Known user

Post by sublow »

Yeah i read that they are all active in other bands, im just wondering how big is their influence and contribution to Spiritualized sound and songs composition in general. I think i saw an interview with Doggen a couple of years ago that was quite interesting.
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Feedback Forever wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 am
GETTING TO WORK! Should have it back soon!

Thank you,

JR
Feedback Forever
Known user

jr_pharmacist wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:09 pm
Feedback Forever wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 am
GETTING TO WORK! Should have it back soon!

Thank you,

JR
Nice one! Cheers for taking the time:)
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Very welcome my friend. Thank you for sharing it.

JR
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

Here it is. Thank you again for taping & sharing. We appreciate it.

https://we.tl/t-BZzRTczdqH

Notes:
Upsampled to 44.1 to work on in Sound Forge.
Split into 18 tracks, catalogued as 17 tracks. 17 audio and Intro (no music, just crowd) is tagged as track 0 if you want to leave it off.
Added fade in & outs on track 0 and 17.
Split from Mono>Stereo (copied left channel over to right).
Rolled off the low end to remove some of the boom. I left enough there if you want to add more back through eq, it won't distort the bass.
Added a touch on the high end.
Middles left unchanged.
Added song & meta tags.

Enjoy,

JR
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

you guys are the best.
Feedback Forever
Known user

jr_pharmacist wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:53 pm Here it is. Thank you again for taping & sharing. We appreciate it.

https://we.tl/t-BZzRTczdqH

Notes:
Upsampled to 44.1 to work on in Sound Forge.
Split into 18 tracks, catalogued as 17 tracks. 17 audio and Intro (no music, just crowd) is tagged as track 0 if you want to leave it off.
Added fade in & outs on track 0 and 17.
Split from Mono>Stereo (copied left channel over to right).
Rolled off the low end to remove some of the boom. I left enough there if you want to add more back through eq, it won't distort the bass.
Added a touch on the high end.
Middles left unchanged.
Added song & meta tags.

Enjoy,

JR

Wow! You're a star :D Thanks very much!
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

You're very welcome. My pleasure.

JR
herman
Known user

Post by herman »

Here's a great clip I found on youtube, 'Let it bleed' in all it's glory! Taken from the Amsterdam concert last week.

https://youtu.be/viMmds9T9H8
"Thank you"
jr_pharmacist
Known user

Post by jr_pharmacist »

ro wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:56 pm you guys are the best.
Very welcome! We always try. Such a great community here, definitely good people.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

herman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:54 pm Here's a great clip I found on youtube, 'Let it bleed' in all it's glory! Taken from the Amsterdam concert last week.

https://youtu.be/viMmds9T9H8
Thanks - great video. I see the user has also uploaded 'Shine A light' and 'Always together with you': https://www.youtube.com/@rialto1961
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Was there any support in Europe? Has anyone heard on the grapevine about support for the Manchester show next month?
Ammuniti0n Train
Known user

Post by Ammuniti0n Train »

Dreamweapon wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:14 am Was there any support in Europe? Has anyone heard on the grapevine about support for the Manchester show next month?
Looking on the venue site no support is mentioned, no special guests etc and tickets £40
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Just received a notification re. Saturday

Doors open at 7, Spiritualized on at 8:15 so no support and quite an early finish by the looks of it.
Best dressed chicken
New user

Post by Best dressed chicken »

Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Really enjoyed last night. 2+ hours of brilliance.

Was someone there who was at their 47th Spiritualized gig (or possibly their 48th). Can anyone beat that?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Venkman wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:02 am Really enjoyed last night. 2+ hours of brilliance.

Was someone there who was at their 47th Spiritualized gig (or possibly their 48th). Can anyone beat that?
I think I'm in the sixties these days, but lost count some years ago.

I enjoyed it more than I expected, after what I felt was a pretty flat and disappointing show last time they were in Manchester a year or so ago. Set list was better so there weren't so many flat spots, but I'd still wish for a bit more variety

I do feel like back in the day there was a natural, logical progression when songs got noisy, but a lot of the time now it feels like just flicking a switch, 'play the loud bit now' kind of thing.

The Morning After had a lovely background noise to it. But Come Together was the only song that really captured the intensity of what they used to do for me. Now If they'd opened with that and got heavier from there they could have blown the roof off.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

scarecrowz
Known user

Post by scarecrowz »

Must just be me who was underwhelmed by this Manchester show... Left before the end of Sail on Through, I couldn't make it through another plodding same tempo dirge...
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

scarecrowz wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:42 pm Must just be me who was underwhelmed by this Manchester show... Left before the end of Sail on Through, I couldn't make it through another plodding same tempo dirge...
Thought it was s superb venue that suited Spiritualized down to the ground. Great to see the giant glitter ball used so effectivley!

But it definitely wasn't the best show in recent memory, bit stop/start. Trouble is that the set list changes so little these days, just a couple of little 'surprises' would transform things. To me they still lean way too heavily on the (dirgy) ballads and it's way too light on the magnificent older material. The ballads from the last four albums all tend to merge into one for me.

Still, it was Spirtualized playing live, on a Saturday night in Manchester. Wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else!

The 'waiting music' had been refreshed, I could just about make out True Love Will Find You In The End by Daniel Johnson and I'm The Loneliest Fool by Jack Nitzsche - but it was really low and muffled, did anyone pick up any other tracks that were played?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

scarecrowz wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:42 pm Must just be me who was underwhelmed by this Manchester show... Left before the end of Sail on Through, I couldn't make it through another plodding same tempo dirge...
Sail on through was indeed disappointing. And the crowd had thinned out noticeably by the time of the encore.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

That Facebook link doesn’t work for me, so only small changes to the set. They played Always Together With You then?
Aquarian-Time
Known user

Post by Aquarian-Time »

Yeah i was at Manchester. To be honest it was dull, same pace throughout, the loud bits are becoming less loud, the white noise bits are few and far between, they played well enough, its just a hard slog for 1 hour 45 listening tp the same song done slightly differently (only slightly).
Just couldnt get into the gig at all, left whilst they started play So Long.. unheard of for me
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

angel-sighs wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:59 am That Facebook link doesn’t work for me, so only small changes to the set. They played Always Together With You then?
Yes, they did.

I really like that song, and quite a few off the last 2 albums but can see why some didn't enjoy the dirge, loud, dirge dirge loud approach and the setlist definitely needs mixing up a bit.
angel-sighs
Known user

Post by angel-sighs »

Venkman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:43 pm
angel-sighs wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:59 am That Facebook link doesn’t work for me, so only small changes to the set. They played Always Together With You then?
Yes, they did.

I really like that song, and quite a few off the last 2 albums but can see why some didn't enjoy the dirge, loud, dirge dirge loud approach and the setlist definitely needs mixing up a bit.
thanks for the info, yes I really like it too.
one of the things I like about the band is the dynamics- loud and quiet, and the sets can be like a rollercoaster at their best. a deft mix of both is ideal but if they were gonna go one way, yeah all noisier songs is definitely better in a live setting.
maybe that's an idea for another thread.. a 'Never Mind The Ballads' setlist.. what would be our dream set of just rockers and noisy songs?
I quite enjoyed the last gig I saw which was pretty much this setlist. Will still probably be skipping future ones unless the set gets a major rejig
Venkman
Known user

Post by Venkman »

Tbf, I'm not as unhappy with the setlist as others, and you need a mix bit I can see why people think there's now too much of the 'dirge' and not enough of the loud.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

Personally I'm more a fan of the ballads. Would love to see them do LGM and Pure Phase in full. I know some people aren't big fans of it, but would love to see WWJ back in the set, and I really rate Life Is A Problem too.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

angel-sighs wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:20 pm
I quite enjoyed the last gig I saw which was pretty much this setlist. Will still probably be skipping future ones unless the set gets a major rejig
This was the first Spiritualized gig opportunity I hesitated over. Pleased we went, but I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for them live and on record in the last few years. Last absolutely blinding gig I saw was Holmfirth with the American band. That felt like a radical new beginning. Instead it turned out to be a false dawn.

I don't know why, but for all the intensity, big sound and plaintive singing, it just all feels a but soulless.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

That Holmfirth gig was indeed an astonishing night. Great venue but the performance was off the scale. I remember the place trembling as the noise took over, and then I realised all the doors were open as it was a hot night. So most of Holmfirth could hear it too.