Sage Photos

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

awesome photos underscore! thanks for sharing.
estee
Known user

Post by estee »

Yeah great photos, gutted I couldnt go looks amazing. Where was Coxon ?
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

you're welcome! i must add that it was my lovely girlfriend who took them, not me...hence, they're good!

note jasons cup of 'tea'(?) behind him on his amp. with saucer. rock n roll!

i thought the new stuff sounded nice...one song ('too late'?) was very much like 'lord let it rain on me'. another had a backbeat kind of feel and was very nice, too.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Post by candy-cane-girl »

I can see the back of mine and sunnys head in most of the photos, poor olga sat there in an empty room (sorry olga i find that pretty amusing).

Great pictures, thanks :)
apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

likewise, thanks for these. its great when you can get photos of a gig less than 24 hours after you've been, and with my head in one. technology rules.

lights go down, pure phase starts and the anticipation builds, then someone comes on stage with a cuppa, not just a cuppa but with a saucer, and places it next to JPs stool. i think i saw two rich teas and a bourbon as well.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

I'll bet if we tried we could name the whole front row, the only thing tha would of had me made last night was to of shared it with the person that turned me onto spiritualized in the first place, but sadly that wasn't to be :(
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i want to ms-paint some of those drawings and put in arrows with 'twat' written on the top; some of the people stood in front of me and my miniature board gathering were omnimumbling cameraphotographing fuckers.

'death take your fiddle' was wonderful though, it sounded like something off songs of love and hate ... i couldn't quite get to grips with the other new ones; i thought one sounded like something by the fall (perhaps touch sensitive, i don't know the song titles), and one did have a pretty chorus-y number-one feeling about it, albeit with countryish singing.

i'd rather let you down than let you go's a really lovely line.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
porkchop
Known user

sage photos

Post by porkchop »

thanks for the pics. did anyone who went come up with a set list? or something close to one? and better yet, who recorded it hmmm?

Post by Guest »

i managed to get a setlist at the end of the gig but im pretty sure itsa bit different to what they actually played. for one its definitely got the wrong last track listed and it also only lists 15 songs and im pretty sure there was more than that
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

I got the setlist Jason was using, and passed it onto simon.keeping, so maybe his is right? Who knows.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

Why didn't you and your merry band of midgets anticpate the hight differential and either stand somewhere else or maybe bring little steps or some similar aide?
'little board gathering' was numbers, not size. it's an idle and unimpressive boast, but i'd wager that we're taller than most. i was whinging about people who go to gigs and talk, it's just indisputably a cunty thing to do because it serves purpose only for the people talking, but infringes on everyone else around who can hear it. doesn't talking on bootlegs annoy you? it's not really what i want to hear in the middle of i think i'm in love.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Things will never be the same again was last on the list im sure.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

to keep you and your apparently equally tight-assed gathering happy I shall remain mute at all gigs in the future
i liked the george bush bit. it's good, a bit political.
don't you think it makes sense for people to shut up? gigs are about the music, not talking, i'd rather listen to spiritualized than hear some idiot behind me talking about how they don't like jason's voice, or some national front rally in front of me chipping in with their opinions throughout.
Oh, and FYI it's not the talking on bootlegs that annoys me, it's the shite sound quality and the notion that missing out everything under 200hz constitutes an accurate portrayal of the gig itself. Or it might even be having to procure them from fucking whinging cunts!
... right ... o k. well that's fair enough. i wasn't really tackling your views on bootlegs to be honest, but, would you enjoy the albert hall gig as much if you could hear people giggling and chatting on top of it? it's just fucking dumb and inconsiderate ...
BTW in the middle of 'Think I'm In Love' I was so caught up in the music I probably wouldn't have noticed a bomb going off. Sounds like you were too busy earwigging other people's conversations - on the positive side you must have great hearing, congrats!
you win ten music lover points and i must forefit.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

The last song was 'take me to the other side' with a short snippet of 'sad days lonely nights' in the middle and not 'things will never be the same' as advertised on the set list. I'm the dark haired guy leaning on the right-hand side of the stage to the left of the gentleman holding a beer (who I assume is gspaceman) in photo number 2.
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

I can see myself in some of the pics too. Leaning on the stage, in front of the bass player. Very weird seeing yourself... :lol:

I really enjoyed the gig and getting to hear the new stuff in particular.I must say I missed Coxon though.
I reckon 'Take me to the Other Side' was amazing!!!

As to the bass, it seems to me that the sound varied greatly depending on were you stood and reports from other people seem to suggest that it was the best on the second tier.
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Big big respect to Candy-Cane Girl for the setlist. It is actually wrong. No Take me to the otherside. I was quite tired and emotional by the end of the gig so Im not sure how right or wrong it actually is? Quality gig though.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

[quote="anorthernsoul"] doesn't talking on bootlegs annoy you? quote]

"Press the eject and give me the tape."
pgtips
Known user

Post by pgtips »

What a fucking blast! my sides still hurt from the fun.... and from sitting on the airplane for 10+hrs home yesterday. I was trying to put faces to names...It sure would have been nice to have met you all. who were the knobs "hecklin" jspace? Please tell me Not from this message board I hope. And the two guys- very tall and dark in front of dogg? giving out glaring vibes way too scary serious boys! and who was the guy I was fucking with standing behind me-faking that you were grabbing my ass...candy-cane are you the one that held my sweater for me in the front row-with the dark hair? I was the one with the soledad brother with the big long dancing hair! the jig- youre the one back stage kissing ass (kidding)and giving your email to jspace- that was you! did anyone make it to the swallow hotel after the show? Is there anything more r&r when a band takes a song as far as they can and then right before it falls apart it ends....tears to me eyes...doggen on his knees...new songs that made my heart sing...how about richards bass intro and singing too! Simplified in structure yet more saturation and depth in sound...fucking brilliant. Five months in the studio and then to perform like they did... Cheers to the Gov. More please. Whats next? Whens the next show? I'm there.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

hee hee, i can prove to all my friends in the states that i was there!!

i'm the one wearing the john lennon hat, far right hand side, behind "the gentlemen with the beer."

ohh and gotta agree with northern soul, the newcastle arm of the national front was standing next to us, what were we to do, "uhm excuse me you racist dickheads, can you please shut the fuck up". in case you didn't realize, both northern soul and i weight about 200 pounds combined. (i'm the fatter one!)

didn't think about moving, must remember that next time.

as for the photos underscore, your missus did a fantastic job. hoensty, they are quite amazing.

errrrr people were talking and snogging (loudly) during the soft slow bits, i hope that wasn't any of you (pointing finger at the cast and crew that was at the show!!!)

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- i thought i heard that veiko was going to record the show? and doesn't jason record all of the shows anyways?

by the way, i thought the support act was quite interesting, even though the sound did fuck up a bit. better than sitting through the ravonettes!
pgtips
Known user

Post by pgtips »

There was a support act? I thought the bar was the support...
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

pgtips wrote:What a fucking blast! my sides still hurt from the fun.... and from sitting on the airplane for 10+hrs home yesterday. I was trying to put faces to names...It sure would have been nice to have met you all. who were the knobs "hecklin" jspace? Please tell me Not from this message board I hope. And the two guys- very tall and dark in front of dogg? giving out glaring vibes way too scary serious boys! and who was the guy I was fucking with standing behind me-faking that you were grabbing my ass...candy-cane are you the one that held my sweater for me in the front row-with the dark hair? I was the one with the soledad brother with the big long dancing hair! the jig- youre the one back stage kissing ass (kidding)and giving your email to jspace- that was you! did anyone make it to the swallow hotel after the show? Is there anything more r&r when a band takes a song as far as they can and then right before it falls apart it ends....tears to me eyes...doggen on his knees...new songs that made my heart sing...how about richards bass intro and singing too! Simplified in structure yet more saturation and depth in sound...fucking brilliant. Five months in the studio and then to perform like they did... Cheers to the Gov. More please. Whats next? Whens the next show? I'm there.
Hi there! I was the one with the dark hair in the front row that guarded your sweater!

Did you ever find Johnny at the end of the night?

Sunny
pgtips
Known user

Post by pgtips »

yea found him. I jokingly said that he was passed out under the dressing room table..everyone looked then started laughing because its something he would do. Did you make it to the swollow hotel? we got so lost...
Thanks for holding my stuff. nice meeting you also.
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Johnny walker MD was backsatge, but i was 2 people down from sunny, infront of the toon arses, sorry, any other time i would of told them to stfu! i had such a good night.

I wish id known shonn was going to be there, and well the rest of you, i would of said Hi!
sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

pgtips wrote:yea found him. I jokingly said that he was passed out under the dressing room table..everyone looked then started laughing because its something he would do. Did you make it to the swollow hotel? we got so lost...
Thanks for holding my stuff. nice meeting you also.
Haha!

Nope, didn't go to the Swallow. I was staying at my friends parent's place that night which was way out of town and we couldn't get back there too late in the night...

It was a great night wasn't it?! Met such good people and candy-cane-girl you rock, it was a real pleasure getting to know you!!
candy-cane-girl
Known user

Aw schucks cheers sunny, youre lovely to, defo have to meet next time!
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

a beautiful noise wrote:hee hee, i can prove to all my friends in the states that i was there!!

i'm the one wearing the john lennon hat, far right hand side, behind "the gentlemen with the beer."

ohh and gotta agree with northern soul, the newcastle arm of the national front was standing next to us, what were we to do, "uhm excuse me you racist dickheads, can you please shut the fuck up". in case you didn't realize, both northern soul and i weight about 200 pounds combined. (i'm the fatter one!)

didn't think about moving, must remember that next time.

as for the photos underscore, your missus did a fantastic job. hoensty, they are quite amazing.

errrrr people were talking and snogging (loudly) during the soft slow bits, i hope that wasn't any of you (pointing finger at the cast and crew that was at the show!!!)

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- i thought i heard that veiko was going to record the show? and doesn't jason record all of the shows anyways?

by the way, i thought the support act was quite interesting, even though the sound did fuck up a bit. better than sitting through the ravonettes!
As 'the gentleman with the beer' I'm not sure what you mean by the newcastle arm of the national front but I hope you're not including me in there. Was the talking really that noticable? Anyhow I assure you it wasn't me, though I'd have thought I'd have heard it since we were so close. Also I didn't notice any snogging, loud or otherwise but it sounds either very passionate or just plain gross!
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

naw spaceman, i don't think you were one the boys at the show. at least i hope you weren't. they pretty much only knew tracks off of 'ladies and gents'. i think you were lucky enough to have the monitor closer to your ears. unfortunatley a few feet back was a different story. i have no moans to bitch about though, i thought it was a fantastic show and well worth the journey.

and yes, it was more gross and drunken than passionate!!!

xxxshonnxxx
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

That's ok then, though I'm sorry some of the natives inconvenienced people who'd made a long journey...we really are very civilised up here, though I have to admit I don't know any Spiritualized fans who live round my way :(
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ah who does though ... that's why it's nice meeting people who give a shit and bother to go to the gigs ...
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

a beautiful noise wrote:i thought i heard that veiko was going to record the show? and doesn't jason record all of the shows anyways?
no, that didn't happen - i had everything ready, but suddenly a man in grey suit turned up and asked me if i plan to record the show. after a short, but fertile argument i had to give him the batteries. fuck it.

but yes, it was recorded for Jase only, as the soundengineer told to Jig, i heard him say that.

who was the lady in red cloak - huge thanks for the backstage pass. she got a setlist too.....
what a weird experience to feel that Jase remembered me from RFH backstage. nice one.

and Ben Crook is alive, ladies and gentlemen, yes he is.
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

ben crook's cool ... i wonder if he felt like a bit of a celebrity getting recognised by various spiritualized fans?
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Ben Crook sounded very cheerful. i told him my respects about the new album trailer, he put his hand together for praying and surely his wide smile hurt him.

u_nderscore - those are absolutly beautiful pictures. so good that i will check them out many times tonight, nothing better to do anyway, but to have a beer. and another one.

i think i see myself on the very last one, down below, clapping my hands above my head in a blue t-shirt (weird that picturing RFH grey t-shirt looks blue). dunno, could be someone else.

i think i saw nobody else with a Spiritualized t-shirt........

wait till you see Jig's pictures, hahahaa. :shock:
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juzba
Known user

Post by Juzba »

Aw shit, one of these days I'm gonna make the effort to catch another gig. Saw the Eden Session gig, which was proper, but it really only made me want to see them again... Regarding the Eden session am I the only one who thinks this was one of their last great gigs setlist wise?

Anyway, nice photos.

BTW, what was the film people keep talkin' bout?
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

it was 'mixtape' by oliver payne and nick relph
see here...
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_91202136
anorthernsoul
Known user

Post by anorthernsoul »

i thought i'd revive this thread because i've just looked through it to find the name of a song they played at the sage; "death take your fiddle"; i so wish they'd played it this tour, i remember it being the best thing they did. it sounded like something off songs of love and hate. if it's not on the new record i'm not buying it out of protest.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Ive got the set list at home. Great stuff. Was this gig the last one they did as a band before Jason Got Ill?
simonkeeping
Known user

Re: Sage Photos

Post by simonkeeping »

Blast from the past. Was thinking about this show last night off the back of listening to 'Sad Days, Lonely Nights' repeatedly over the past few days
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

Hey thanks for the resurrection!

that indeed was an amazing gig. my memory is pretty vague in general so seeing the pics and posts about the setlist definitely helps out. I do recall that TMTTOS was morphed right into Sad Days Lonely Nights. absolutely blistering.

can anybody shed any light on the video/loop of "You're No Good'"? I thought ThighpaulSandra had something to do with it? maybe?

I do remember being extremely ill for the whole week, I had travelled down from Glasgow with another board member (orbital) to meet other board members (anothernsoul / underscore / veiko / shaun and a few others) but I think we were late or something and so we missed most of you.

Strangely, once inside the venue we were just milling about and I heard someone keep shouting my name, I'm a stranger in a strange land so it can't possibly be for me. yet it was! it was Natty from the board,. I had met Natty on a previous trip of mine to the UK and he needed a spare ticket for the sold out gig and we just happened to have one!

ohh, plus J's daughter stepped on my foot when I was waiting in line behind him. :P

anyways, thanks for the memories.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

a beautiful shonn
Known user

Post by a beautiful shonn »

haha! that's great Veiko thanks!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I'd love a live tape of this show to appear. Am I right in thinking it was the only time Baby I'm just a fool has been played live?
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'd be up for Jason resurrecting Sad Days Lonely Nights to the setlist. why has so much of his side project stuff actually been the most enjoyable??

just to get my nerd hat on, I think Baby i'm Just a Fool was played live at least one more time (on the A&E tour itself) I think it may have been at an in-store performance or something but I can't recall.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It was played on release date at Rough Trade. I was there, I have the setlist somewhere, too! I enjoyed the live version a lot more than recorded.