the music before the gig?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

Ranticus
New user

the music before the gig?

Post by Ranticus »

I went to the Spiritualzed gig which was amazing, but wanted to know if anyone knew what music ws played before the gig. There was loads of gospel stuff. I presume they put this stuff on before all the other gigs, so if anyone has any ideas let me know please.
anorthernsoul
Known user

ed haw

Post by anorthernsoul »

it was a nice mix, wasn't it? i was mooching around on my own at the leeds gig and got to hear the lot. the edwin hawkins singers oh happy day was played a couple of times, but i couldn't identify anythiong else, only some familiar voices. has anyone found 'let me down easy', that j played in his last breezeblock yet? it's wonderful ...

Post by Guest »

Yes, the track was by Betty Lavette, who has a voice that can soothe the soul.

She also did a version of 'Cry Me A River' that coul teach the android known as 'Timberlake' a thing or two.

I don't know much else about her so any info would be greatly appreciated. I didn't even get to hear the last Breezeblock set, but I found a tracklist on the Radio 1 website and hunted down a few things from it.
anorthernsoul
Known user

betty lavette

Post by anorthernsoul »

ahh yeh, i knew it was betty lavette. i've a feeling at some point there was a live lp, but the easiest release to get hold of is an anthology called 'souvenirs', which i've seen (and been cheated out of!) in some of the bigger hmv stores. it didn't have let me down easy.

i've only heard a couple of other things by her, and didn't know she'd sang cry me a river at any point, i'll have a look when i can. same with the breezeblock set, i had to just root around.

i may reply a while later with another song that was played before the gig the other day; i wrote a few lyrics down to help us look for it. i was hoping to hunt down jason at one of the gigs and find out about this and the fabric tracklists, we'll see eh ...