Best ever Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized show?

For setlists, memories and bootlegs etc...

Moderators: BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent, MODLAB

nickh
Known user

Best ever Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized show?

Post by nickh »

Be pretty interested to hear about favourite ever Spacemen 3 / Spiritualized show. Might not be as easy to answer as you might think

Fave Spacemen 3 show – Dingwalls January 89, the first ever Spacemen gig I went to and it blew my head clean off. Didn’t think anything would surpass the Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Swans, Dinosaur Jr shows I had been to the previous year but they did it…easily. Couldn’t see a damn thing, loved every minute.

Fave Spiritualized show – Glastonbury 04. Loved all the early ULU, Marquee, LSE, ICA, Astoria shows, loved the full on Hammersmith Odeon / Albert Hall shows but the set played last year was the best ever. Spiritualized headlining the new tent after seeing Love and Tindersticks was the perfect end to a perfect day and they played the killer set.
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

I'd have to say the Essential Festival Finsbury Park around LAGWAFIS time. About 6 or 7 of the London Community Gospel in white robes made it for me, mind blowing sound and performance. Anyone else go to this/got a recording?

Also helped along by being frazzled on Acid - I scrabbled under the fence and entered the festival through the backstage dressing rooms and over the stage Spiritualized played on a couple of hours later - Result. Sorry Jase I couldn't afford it! The show was fucking awesome tho! 8)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Only saw Spacemen 3 once, at the Reading festival, before I cared anything about them. To my eternal regret.

I can think of three standout Spz shows. Worthing Pier in '95 was my first, and is special enough for that, but it was superb. Excelent Stereolab support, too.

The ('95?) Phoenix Festival was stunning. Spz ended an evening that went High Llamas / Verve (just pre-first breakup) / Spz. There's a story in Eric's book about how Peters Kember and Bain were backstage and couldn't believe it when no-one recognised Walkin' With Jesus, but that wasn't how it felt for me. I went fucking mental.

And the Brighton show for the first leg of the Amazing Grace tour was pretty special too. Intimate, and the sort of quiet, respectful crowd you always wish for. During the first verse of Hold On, there really was silence apart from Jason's voice. Someone fainted behind me at one point.

Love,

Ian
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Hmmm

That's not quite how I remember the Brighton show Ian but all power to you!

As I remember lots of people chatted/laughed through the quiet bits and someone even heckled 'sing lucky man' at one point. The strobes were fuckin full on on that tour tho and I do remember someone at Brighton being lead out to the side door with a coat over their heads, same sort of thing was replecated at the electric ballroom as well.

Keep the faith all!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Whenever this thread re-appears, i always go for the early-90s triple header of Dr Phibes / Mercury Rev / Spiritualized. I saw it at Nottingham Rock City and was blown away.

Obviously the first ever Spiritualized tour on the back of Anyway That You Want Me was special as we witnessed the birth of something very special. People sitting down, beautiful vibes, intimate venues etc.

I only saw the Spacemen three times, but one of those was the one in the health club in Chester, referred to in Erik's book as a very strange experience. I've got a hazy recollection that the house lights stayed on for the whole set. There was a fight in the crowd.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Meo wrote:Hmmm

That's not quite how I remember the Brighton show Ian but all power to you!
Maybe I was lucky, being at the front and well away from the bar. Sounded awsome to me!

Love,

Ian
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Nice one Ian!

Glad you enjoyed it !! Must admit I really enjoyed the Soledads as support but unlucky not to get the vibe that night!

Respect.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Starfish wrote:Whenever this thread re-appears, i always go for the early-90s triple header of Dr Phibes / Mercury Rev / Spiritualized. I saw it at Nottingham Rock City and was blown away.
Forgot to mention, the reason why this stands out as a Spiritualized gig for me is that Dr Phibes opened and were pretty awesome.
Then Mercury Rev came on and I nearly disintegrated on the spot, such was their power. I remember thinking "Shit, I really doubt Spiritualized can top that."
But they did. It must have been like a huge challenge to them, but they did it. I've never heard a recording of it and I'm not entirely sure I'd want to.. best leave memories as they are sometimes.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Startfish, i saw the same tour at Glasgow QMU... my first Spiritualized gig... outside, Dave Baker from Mercury Rev said Hi and then heckled some guys about drinking Bud...

Had never heard either support before hand, but was impressed with Dr Phibes... was in total awe of Mercury Rev (a real eye-opener for my future musical journey) and then Spiritualized played an almost cosmic set... There was a bombscare late on that night and the venue was cleared out, but upon going back in, they played for about another hour. I could have died and been forever grateful of having been there that night. And so my musical journey began...

:D
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

I saw the Greenpeace tour thingy too, Mercury Rev were a sight to behold. I'm reasonably sure they were all playing from different set lists, and the only song that sounded like they were playing the same song was Boy Peel Out. Dave Baker was .... interesting!

But in terms of Spz then for me their best was the LGM tour (Andy Black will tell me what year I always get it wrong) at the Tic-Toc club in Cov. The intro music was "Space", they did songs like Sway and 200 bars, and did Take me to the other side and Walking with Jesus. Don't think they'd done any SP3 stuff before that tour, but I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Spacemen 3 - Hammersmith Riverside Studios, August 24th 1988. One bloke I went with was handing out free acid to anyone who wanted it. Lost touch with that guy a few years ago. Funny that.

Spiritualized - Mean Fiddler, November 1st 1991. Beyond anything I have ever witnessed. Best gig I ever saw.

I saw 3 gigs from that Mercury Rev/Phibes tour. Although good I felt they were the weaker tour dates of that up-to-Pure-Phase period. Loved Mercury Rev though. I was also at that Dingwalls Spacemen show in January 1989. People watched a smoke filled empty stage at the end for over 20 minutes while Ecstasy Symphony curled itself deafeningly around the audience, with no encore.
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

i know i saw them on that mercury rev tour too, but i have absolutley no recollection of it. even though i was just 16 and relatively straight headed. i know i loved it and came out of there blown away, but there are just no details there. weird.

hmmm, best show - i can't pick. never seen them play a duffer. the 1998 valentines brixton gig with primal scream and alabama 3 was probably the most exciting time i've seen them.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Mercury Rev were awesome live around the time of Yerself is Steam and Boces. I remember the show at the Clapham Grand where they trashed a piano with scaffold poles and JP came on and played with them at the end. That had to be one of the loudest gigs I have ever been to, I felt like I was being punched in the side of the head during Something for Joey
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

Im with Meo on the brighton gig ( and i was near the front ), but with Ian on the phoenix gig, also paradiso amsterdam for let it come down tour was special
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote:Mercury Rev were awesome live around the time of Yerself is Steam and Boces. I remember the show at the Clapham Grand where they trashed a piano with scaffold poles and JP came on and played with them at the end. That had to be one of the loudest gigs I have ever been to, I felt like I was being punched in the side of the head during Something for Joey
Man that was another incredible gig I was at. They smashed up the piano before they'd even played! The 'Something For Joey moment' is a legendary thing among my friends who were there. The way the sound roared in the chorusy bit was unbelievable, and unforgettable.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

For me - I think the first time I saw them was the one that sticks in my mind the most . It was when they headlined the Ashton Court Festival , Bristol sometime back in the late 90's (its been a few years now!! :oops: ) Had been looking forward to it for ages (always seemed to miss them somehow) and was really on one ( :wink: ).As they came on to the wall of noise I knew I was gonna see/hear something very special.The next hour or so touched me like no other gig - not ashamed to admit I had a few tears in my eyes - for all the right reasons - I must add - came away totally blown away.

The Brixton gig I also enjoyed - probably down to line-up for the evening - and also not having to pull on a coat and leave the venue at 11 pm !!
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

slim wrote:I saw the Greenpeace tour thingy too, Mercury Rev were a sight to behold. I'm reasonably sure they were all playing from different set lists, and the only song that sounded like they were playing the same song was Boy Peel Out. Dave Baker was .... interesting!

But in terms of Spz then for me their best was the LGM tour (Andy Black will tell me what year I always get it wrong) at the Tic-Toc club in Cov. The intro music was "Space", they did songs like Sway and 200 bars, and did Take me to the other side and Walking with Jesus. Don't think they'd done any SP3 stuff before that tour, but I'm prepared to be proved wrong on that.

march 1993, in the tic toc (rich clews also went to that gig). most of rugby came to watch, and aphex twin and irresistable force dj'd (i remember watching the entire spitz set, stood next to mr richard james and his big beard), all he did was play heavy dub versions of shinehead's jamaican in new york. i've still got the ticket and set list somewhere at home

levitation were blistering, so much so they split up about 4 gigs later.

i saw spiritualized play leicester uni about a month later. but it wasnt quite as good.

i saw 2 dates on the greenpeace tour. it was sponsored by greenpeace who were campaigning for the closure of the THORP re-processing plant at sellafield, which has ironically just announced its closure.

coming to the labour club to see messers refoy and mattock slim?
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

andyblacktoo wrote:coming to the labour club to see messers refoy and mattock slim?
If I'm allowed to playout that night, then yep sure am.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Hullo. Yes tic toc was the finest of the shows I've seen. Just perfect. Used to have a decent boot of it, the one I've got now doesn't do it justice.

Me and my friends went home in a stunned silence. Totally frazzled. Sigh. those were the days.

Saw 3 shows from the greenpeace tour, which were ok, but I agree with runcible that they weren't quite the best.

I might possibly make it to the Slipstream gig - you'll recognise me as I'll be the one standing next to the heavily pregnant girlfriend. - Are there any seats in there?? Do tickets get sold on the door?
mark
Known user

Post by mark »

oh, and forgot about the time where they bounced on after primal scream at brixton about 3 in the morning...oh boy
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

congrats on the pregnancy rich, that's excellent! your kid is gonna be treated to some good tunes :)

i never actually went to any of the older gigs, but i've listened to them a lot and my personal favorite would probably be from manchester, may 1991. I love that gig. I have a really poor recording of the '94 glastonbury set which i think i'd like more if it didn't sound so piss poor...best gig i ever saw live myself would be the '01 boston gig, i loved the horns and the versions of let it flow and don't just do something i will never forget.
manchester '91 set is so damn nice:
01. Hypnotized
02. Run
03. If I Were With Her Now
04. Drive>Feel So Sad
05. Step Into The Breeze
06. Feelin' Just Fine
07. Angel Sigh
08. Take Your Time
09. Smiles
10. Why Don’t You Smile Now?
11. Anyway That You Want Me
10ent
Known user

Post by 10ent »

I was at the Glasgow QMU gig mentioned earlier and thought it was excellent - bombscare and all.

Best time seeing Spiritualized though was either at the Phoneinx Festival in 95 or at Glasgow's King Tuts in 97. King Tut's probably shades it as they started with Cop Shoot Coop and had the strobes on for almost the whole song - thought my eyes were going to burst.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

clewsr wrote:Hullo. Yes tic toc was the finest of the shows I've seen. Just perfect. Used to have a decent boot of it, the one I've got now doesn't do it justice.

Me and my friends went home in a stunned silence. Totally frazzled. Sigh. those were the days.

Saw 3 shows from the greenpeace tour, which were ok, but I agree with runcible that they weren't quite the best.

I might possibly make it to the Slipstream gig - you'll recognise me as I'll be the one standing next to the heavily pregnant girlfriend. - Are there any seats in there?? Do tickets get sold on the door?

no seats though, at least very few, and the last slipstream gig i witnessed there, the place was rammed. its basically a pub, and the band play just by the front door too.

should be free entry, i'll check with mark. and ask about the seats also. its worth coming, if only to witness the great pat fish who normally plays random extractions from his back catalogue. i'd be surprised if willie b doesnt attend.

they might even have ray dickaty there as well (given more recent precedence).

see here for a review of the gig last december

http://www.jazzbutcher.com/htdb/gigs/2004/Dec3.html
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

nickh wrote:Mercury Rev were awesome live around the time of Yerself is Steam and Boces. I remember the show at the Clapham Grand where they trashed a piano with scaffold poles and JP came on and played with them at the end. That had to be one of the loudest gigs I have ever been to, I felt like I was being punched in the side of the head during Something for Joey
That show was in...get this...QUAD. You were being blasted from all angles.
I saw Kevin Shields after that show and he kept saying was" it was in quad, it was in quad". I feel fortunate to have seen Mercury Rev w/Mr. Baker. He was entertaining. They never toured much in the US around that time. They were much bigger in the UK.

Fave Spiritualized gig(s). The Shelter @ St Andrews Hall Detroit both early and late shows in 1995 pre LAGWAFIS. Two shows on Labor Day 1995. The early show was great and they played 2 less songs in the late show but it was 20 minutes longer than the early show. Nearly tore my head off.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

SpaceLine wrote:congrats on the pregnancy rich, that's excellent! your kid is gonna be treated to some good tunes :)
Cheers Jason! Its going to be a whole new world of fun.

That Manchester set list does look good. Wish I'd seen them around that time before LGM came out. The Boston show sounds a good call, I'd say the let it come down tour was underated, I really enjoyed the show they played in Liverpool before they abondoned the horns again.
Supervim
Known user

Post by Supervim »

Glastonbury 1993 has never been bettered. They were just staggering that night and almost as good the year after. I couldn't see for a good half an hour afterwards. I must have seen them 30 time now, since the 1991 tour.

Newcastle Riverside
Liverpool Lomax
The Hacienda
Sheffield Octagon
Manchester University
York Fibbers (2nd show)

All also pretty damn fine.
Supervim
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Must have been Dec 1997 at the Troc in Philly.
http://citypaper.net/articles/120497/si ... sav6.shtml

Here's a cover shot of Jason and a mention of my old friend Jon Valania who wrote good articles, at least one of them on Spiritualized. We saw the '97 show together, and I gave him an extra copy of Fucked Up Inside that I had picked up cheap.
http://soundsgoodradio.net/INTERVIEWS/mf.html
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Jeez, Joe Banana's has just given me a frightening flashback Jig!

Post by Guest »

Supervim wrote:Glastonbury 1993 has never been bettered. They were just staggering that night and almost as good the year after. I couldn't see for a good half an hour afterwards. I must have seen them 30 time now, since the 1991 tour.

Newcastle Riverside
Liverpool Lomax
The Hacienda
Sheffield Octagon
Manchester University
York Fibbers (2nd show)

All also pretty damn fine.
i found myself stood not too fat from mr ashcroft and pal from the wannadies in the audience at the hacienda. the last ever gig put on at the club.

i went to the manchester uni pure phase show.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

Anonymous wrote:i found myself stood not too fat from mr ashcroft and pal from the wannadies in the audience at the hacienda. the last ever gig put on at the club.
hope you've managed to maintain your svelte shape since then!

I was there, i think. It was the daylight one wasn't it? All a bit strange with no lights and the glass roof. Wasn't it Gorky's or Belle & Sebastien who supported.
Spent about 45 minutes after the gig collapsed on the pavement outside the Hac. Disgraceful scenes :oops:
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Yep

Was at the Manc Uni Pure Phase One too. I remember the purple lights on all the way through with pretty intense strobing, large pipes, bikers with beards and funnily enough an elongated period streched out on the curb after the gig trying to place myself back in Manchester again.

Outstanding gig!

Post by Guest »

Good call jig, if only we'd known just how good were having it we wouldn't have left the field. Glasto so was the place and Spiritualized so were the band. I loved the 98 show as well nice rendition of Ladies and Gentlemen. But not quite as mind bending or as 'immediate' as 93.

The Hacienda was a bit odd cos it was quite light I'd forgotten about that - who shouted 'toffee crisp' in the middle of the set v funny. Best gig for 'atmosphere' was definately the Lomax the air was green! I whited at least once. Those stobes during Cop shoot Cop, it felt like a spaceship was landing in front of me or was it we were landing?? fuck knows anyway they ruled my tiny world.

The audience were always so quiet and reverential. I was really down the day after the last tour because the inside of Leeds Met was like being a bar why couldn't people just shut up, I thought they'd lost their genuine following but the Fibbers gig was like old times; silent audience again so I was happy (and caned) along with everyone else.

Glastonbury 93, the finest gig I've ever seen
grrrr73
Known user

Post by grrrr73 »

My favourite Spz show was at Brixton Academy. Primal Scream headlining and I got my ticket for a valentines present. In the lobby were Spz t-shirts and I thought they were left over from a previous gig. Last thing Bobby said as he left the stage-Ladies and Gentlemen I hope you float in space, Spz unannounced secret guests on about 3am! Best valentines present I ever got!
ebbs and flows
New user

Post by ebbs and flows »

Yeah, '98 was where it all started for me. (A late starter i know) knowing very little about them and only going because the girl i was desparate to pull persuaded me. After three days of mud and no sleep. It was stunning. Hearing how good music could actually be in most highly emotionally charged situation ever. I guess other shows have been probabley better and more appreciated as i then knew the tunes. But that remains a life changing and affirming moment.

*sighs* (angel or other)
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Can anyone shed a little more Light on The Brixton Gig with the scream? Its sounds amazing!
u_nderscore
Known user

Post by u_nderscore »

aha! i think i can, (in fact i'm sure it's been disussed somewhere on here before) but i'll leave it up to you as to whether you trust my recollection. =)
spiritualized were a surprise alright - we got handed flyers as we went in that said they were on. (though i remember they were misspelt as 'spiritualised') it was too exciting for words. the mbv arkestra mix had just come out and we'd hammered it in the car on the way there. asian dub foundation were on in the other room and it was easily the loudest, most powerful bass sound i've ever heard. it was too much, made me feel all wrong inside. great though. i remember the merch stand were giving away great free posters of the reid style, yellow and pink 'if they move kill em' design. spiritualized were on real late/early and they were intense...the strobes were insane and the hall was like a scene from a zombie movie by the end! alabama 3 were on too - first time i'd seen or heard them, and they were amazing...dancing around with huge hyperdeemic nerdles...singing 'shoot me up in the mainline with a hypo full of love' - how could you not love it? 8)
that's probably not the kind of light you hoped would be shed, simon, but i don't recall anything like setlists or sound details, sorry. what a blast though.
grrrr73
Known user

Post by grrrr73 »

i'm a bit hazy on it u_nderscore! I'd been on it most of the day in London,
by the time we got there, i've never been so glad to be sat in the balcony, and not down the front. Still not too many times you get to see the Scream, and sleep off your hangover before Spz come on! Zombie movie is about right though!

Post by Guest »

Starfish wrote:
Anonymous wrote:i found myself stood not too fat from mr ashcroft and pal from the wannadies in the audience at the hacienda. the last ever gig put on at the club.
hope you've managed to maintain your svelte shape since then!

I was there, i think. It was the daylight one wasn't it? All a bit strange with no lights and the glass roof. Wasn't it Gorky's or Belle & Sebastien who supported.
Spent about 45 minutes after the gig collapsed on the pavement outside the Hac. Disgraceful scenes :oops:

hehe, gorkys supported, and it was light through the glass roof, which meant it was a little like a inside festival. it was the last gig ever at the hacienda. (the club lost its entertainments licence a few weeks later), and one of the last featuring radley on keyboards. it was my last night as a student before picking up my degree results the next morning, and pretty much the best way to end a degree.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

there have been a couple of other odd ones in recent times. i saw the current line up play the sanctuary in milton keynes, which is pretty much a barn of a rave place, (toilets = 6 urinals, 15 sinks)........they played for an astonishingly long time, too long in fact.

and i saw them play northampton roadmender on the more recent amazing grace tour ( i wondered if he's chosen roadmenders deliberately) with mr pierce loitering around outside whilst everyone walked past him in the venue and not noticing him. that was the first time i saw 17 and 18 yr old kids in max power cars playing amazing grace booming from their car stereos afterwards.

i saw the reading 98 festival appearance which was pretty disappointing, and also the manchester apollo appearance of which i remember very little.

but its still the tic toc which stands out.....and if you wonder why. play the fucked up inside version of shine a light, then play the version from the b-side of electricity. and you'll see the difference. one beatiful and melodic, one transformed into basically a major rock song.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

The one at Brixton Academy sounds fantastic.

Andy is right, The tick toc show was of a similar style to FUI, but tighter and more intense. I always wished they'd used a recording from the Tic toc or the Hackney Empire show that followed it for FUI rather than from the American shows that followed.

Another show worthy of mention in this thread are the Edinburgh flux shows with Steve Martland. Beautiful. It seemed to point to a whole new direction for the live show, that sadly didn't materialise
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

ugh! i would have loved to have seen those FLUX gigs, i have recordings of them and they are wonderful.

just for the intimacy, i think the in store was my fav, jason looking at me then cracking into a big smile while singing 'oh baby' was worth a million bucks.

xxxshonn
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Clewsr - I was at the Hackney Empire gig and know what you mean. Far better than FUI. Possible the best gig I've ever been to. Came aware stunned.

Also, the gig at the Astoria on the day LAGWAFIS came out. I remember walking around and everyone was just grinning ear to ear. Most people hadn't had the chance to hear the record but, even so, there was a feeling that we were in for a treat!
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

Spacemen 3 - either upstairs at the Peacock on Newbold Road, Rugby when The Shamen supported or at The Boardwalk, Manchester, sorry the dates elude me.

Spiritualized - ICA, I think their first London gigs - 2 nights on the trot if my memory serves me, I was stood next to the Reid brothers who seemed to be making notes; also the time when they played a free Carlsberg festival in a park in Preston.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Spiritualized - ICA, I think their first London gigs - 2 nights on the trot if my memory serves me, I was stood next to the Reid brothers who seemed to be making notes
- can you remember the support band? I saw them at the ICA around that time playing with a band called groove detective. My mate did the sound and i was lucky enough to watch the soundcheck, which i enjoyed thoroughly. I remember jason asking if we were ready for a laugh before they went on, and usi9n his "3 tele" that night. Anyway, the night was awesome, and i believe they used footage for the run video.

Other faves include galsto 92, w/ stereolab @Bristol trinity around 95ish and Bristol community festival, which is always nice.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

jesus son wrote:Spiritualized - ICA, I think their first London gigs - 2 nights on the trot if my memory serves me
Coincidentally, I found the poster for those ICA gigs yesterday while I was clearing out a room (along with various other Spacemen gig flyers). 14 June 91, supported by Sensitize and Electrahead, 15 June suported by Groove Detectives and Electrahead.
I chatted to Will and Mark in the cafe before it all started on the second night. Keep forgetting what a friendly bunch they all were.
Part of the Irn Bru Rox week at the ICA, also featuring The Sandkings, Levitation, Scorpio Rising, 25th Of May, Ruthless Rap Assassins, Revolver and Five Thirty.

In fact, I seem to have two posters.... would you like one?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

ebbs and flows wrote:Yeah, '98 was where it all started for me. (A late starter i know) knowing very little about them and only going because the girl i was desparate to pull persuaded me. After three days of mud and no sleep. It was stunning. Hearing how good music could actually be in most highly emotionally charged situation ever. I guess other shows have been probabley better and more appreciated as i then knew the tunes. But that remains a life changing and affirming moment.
So? Did you pull, or what?
a beautiful noise
Known user

ha ha that was funny. thanks i needed that.

xxxme
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...

Post by Guest »

g.spaceman wrote:I'm surprised no one's mentioned The Sage this year...sadly was to young too see them LGM era (though attended many gigs at Newcastle Riverside as a youngster from 1990 onwards so might have seen them without realising it, as I did Radiohead!) I love the horns on FUI, yet others don't seem too keen. Whilst the Glastonbury gigs might have been the most enjoyable, I felt the sound quality at The Sage was outstanding, plus the setlist was interesting with the new tracks. I wasn't there but my d/l of Brixton 02 where they played for over 2 hours looks really good, so probably would have been my favourite if I'd been there.

In reflection, I actually preferred the set at The Sage to the LAGWAFIS tour, just for the refreshing garagey sound...but it's a tough one to call!
g.spaceman
Known user

Post by g.spaceman »

Last edited by g.spaceman on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know I've been thinking about not coming down...
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

The Jig wrote:And how about when it went from the end of a brilliant ''Take Me To The Other Side'' into the last part of ''Cop Shoot Cop'', yet another classic Spz and Glastonbury moment.
has that benn recorded?
... i have a disc thats recorded from german radio, Shaun you have it too i guess, but is it on that recording? /i'm just far to reach for my disc/

Post by Guest »

I didn't seen him before 2001, so missed a whole mess of great stuff. My two favorite shows, of the 6 I've seen, were the Riverside Church show in NYC in 2001 and then Atlanta in 2003. It was the last night of the tour and the place was about 1/8th full. If that. And they uncorked a monster of a show. He/they earned a lot of respect from me that night for putting so much into a performace for a practically empty hall. It was like a private party. That was huge fun.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

jesus son wrote: Spiritualized - ICA, I think their first London gigs - 2 nights on the trot if my memory serves me, I was stood next to the Reid brothers who seemed to be making notes; also the time when they played a free Carlsberg festival in a park in Preston.
Man I was at both those ICA gigs, preceded by 5.30 the night before who were fantastic. Not the first London Spz gigs by some way but completely spectacular all the same and some of the best I can remember. Not helped by the security who refused to let me duck out for a pee towards the end as they said 'the toilets are closed'. I was so fucked I pleaded with them to open the fire doors at the back so I could piss in the street: 'c'mon man, this is my FAVOURITE band and I have to see the end'... And they let me. Charmers they were...
spacedudesteve
Known user

best ever spz gig

Post by spacedudesteve »

i went to that brixton gig in 02, the first time id seen them (in fact, it was my first gig!)...ive seen them again 3 times since but its hard to top it. such a long intense set...wow! :D i remember i was at the front with an american student from new orleans who was doing a gap year at swansea, and had travelled down without a ticket...cool guy

theres a webcast of the gig at http://www.xfm.co.uk havent checked it out for a few months but im sure its on there, just type in the search section spiritualized and it'll come up. not brilliant quality but still pretty ace.

i saw them a year later on the amazing grace tour at camden electric ballroom, which was quality, southampton uni a few months later (took a mate who hadnt listened to them much before, think he was shocked when a saxophonist came on for cop shoot cop and the band went crazy for 20 minutes... :D ). i last saw them at the royal festival hall last year after winning tickets....I think my eyes have never really recovered from that light show!

hopefully the band will tour again sometime soon!
spacedudesteve
Known user

Post by spacedudesteve »

apesgrapes
Known user

Post by apesgrapes »

nasty wrote:Anyway, the night was awesome, and i believe they used footage for the run video.
yeah, clock apes & his sister. the only two standing at the front.

i posted this yarn about that day on another board...

we always hated the spacement 3 thing, usually happened in london, where people would sit on the floor to watch the band. never saw the point myself - better view standing & more comfortable. it carried over to spiritualized and even though they were more relax-&-listen back then (more than S3) I still thought it was daft.

ok, lazer guided melodies era, but before the Run single was released, they tour uk. see them in newcastle and manage to cadge guest list places for the following night in middlesbrough. there's me, mate chris and my sister who go to middlebrough and decide to do LSD for the gig. we get down then and get plotted up in some pub, neck the trips and start quaffing the pints. we have a right old rant about people who sit down at Spiritualized gigs, just cos they read people do at S3 gigs (who only sit down cos Jason & Boom used to). we're all smug & arrogant that these know-nothings are just sheep etc etc.

back then my brother used to describe the Spiritualized live experience as like a boiling kettle, starting off really quietly with those lights and that rising crescendo until you expect the roof to blow off and the stage to just fly off into space.

so as it happens, with the sound & lights shaking the already LSD trembling organs, we're all on the deck by track 2 and can't get up until the end. :oops:

so, a few days later they play at the ULU in london, so go down with my sister. no acid but i eat a chunk of tac before i leave work at 11am (crushed in a mars bar). bad move. we get on the bus & have a box of liquorice allsorts, we scoff them quick and start looking at some photos as the bus pulls away - then it starts, this crazy woman in the seat in front (about maybe mid 20s) starts hassling us, wants to see the photos, wants some sweets, wants to know why we're in london etc etc. we get fucked off & start ignoring her.

6 hour journey this mind, and she's getting more & more pissed & out of control, pissing everybody off. at one point she stands up at the front of the bus (top deck) and announes its her birthday and wants everytone to sing happy birthday. i swear, i heard the sound of 20 pissed off passengers muttering "oh for fucksake". to cut a long story short, she ends up trying to talk me & my sister out of running away from home to london (we've tried to tell her we're coming straight home after the gig...) she ends up warning me that i'll end up "...with a cock up your arse." and my sister will be on the game within days. somehow i ended up with her phone number and used to make the odd abusive phone call.

ok, to the gig. everyone's sitting down bar me and my sister at the front, the gig is filmed & used on the Run video - starring me & my sister. so sitting down is stupid, cos you don't get on the video. 8)
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Seen them a few times since '97 UEA Norwich a couple of times, Glasto '98, Hammersmith '01 but the best was Melbourne '02. They played in a small venue about 1000 capacity for over 2 hours finishing at gone 1. Was absolutely battered on pills, weed and beer but in my top 5 gigs ever.
stanislav leskie

Post by stanislav leskie »

--
Last edited by stanislav leskie on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rspaceman22
Known user

all u brit cats..

Post by rspaceman22 »

i sadly didnt know about sp3 when they were around. i first saw spiritualized in 93 in chicago for the pure phase tour. it was sick. best show is between 2 shows i think. and its because of the company i was in that the show was just better then others as every spiritualized show is amazing imo.

the first was in chicago for the lagwfis show 8-97 or so. i had taken some e and smoked up a bunch of hemp. i got tot he first row and was just awestruck. i still have the setlist and everything. i got to meet jason after the show and as messed up as i was he was still cool to me in his quiet type of way. i was with alot of friends and the show was just sick the cop shoot cop was almost too much for me to take at that time.

the 2nd show was at the fillmore in san francisco in 2001. my friend ahd flown to seattle to meet me as i lived ther at the time. i had just seent hem that week in seattle and was going to go to the sf show with my buddy from back in chicago. my gf lived in sf so she had some e and lots of kind nugs for us. we all went tot he show and during shine a light i came as close to touching god as any agnostic cat could. just an amsing show all the love in the room and in that history soaked beautiful venue.

wow is all i have to say.. i have seen spz lot of times (12?) and those are the 2 that stick out the most in my foggy mind. all of them have been amazing like i said but something about those 2 i mentioned. i chalk it up to the company and accompying feeling during the show. ...let it flow---
Groovercat

Chicago

Post by Groovercat »

Halloween 2001. The top of my head blew right off and turned into gold fairy dust during 'Come Together'.
sqwubbsy67

best ever gig(s) this side of the ditch

Post by sqwubbsy67 »

Aug 9th '97 St Andrews Hall Detroit. Me Birthday, Me mates, Good Dope, Good Fun and a disco ball that made the heads below look like a whirlpool (correction: Great Dope). My friend cryed in the car on the way back unable to relate his emotions, damn mushrooms.

Oct. 30th '01 Majestic Detroit. On E. Amazing lights, got to hear 'em sound checkin' w/Out of Sight, up there in top 5 life experiences. Ah memories.

Blossom Music Centre nr. Akron, Ohio.Don't remember the date of this one but they opened up for Neil Young and Steve Earle! 1st time I saw them probably '95. The 50 something biker crowd really dug 'em. I had a photo press pass that we conned from the publisher saying we had a fanzine! Got to meet J., Kate and Mooneye smokin' backstage before the gig, thanked Mooneye for his guitar solo on Julian Cope's "Safesurfer" (check that one of my "to do" list).Got some okay pics too, front and centre for the whole gig.

Of all the many, many bands I have seen none have come close to Spiritualized for a live show. Come back soon guys.
a beautiful noise
Known user

is this the same show that neil young and spiritualizzed jammed together?

is this legend on truth.

i would love to hear what that would have sounded like.

hopefully our wonderful guest sqwubbsy67 can shed a light on this.

thanks if you can help,

shonn
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

rspaceman22:

I was at that 8/97 Chicago show. Double Door right? I was towards the back where the sound was so bad i could barely make out what they were playing. i know others who said it was incredible. I was pre-occupied trying to smoke up in the bathroom and being chased by bouncers.
They were pretty shit hot at that point.
The show I saw at the Metro on the LICD tour was really amazing. Way better than the Majestic show the night before.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

Spiritualized in Roskilde Denmark july 1993..

I don´t even remember if it was the first or second time I saw them..
anyone have a recording of that one?
HTM

Post by HTM »

Joe P wrote:Seen them a few times since '97 UEA Norwich a couple of times, Glasto '98, Hammersmith '01 but the best was Melbourne '02. They played in a small venue about 1000 capacity for over 2 hours finishing at gone 1. Was absolutely battered on pills, weed and beer but in my top 5 gigs ever.
I was at this gig and can remember it well because I had to stay sober given that my wife was 4 moths pregnant and feeling very poorly because of the intense dope haze in the Prince of Wales. The joint (ahem) was absolutely packed to the gills and the band were on top form. The '04 gig was memorable for the eyeball popping strobes and the massive "THUD" of some blokes head hitting the floor after he passed out. I have a very hazy memory of the '04 gig as it was a top night out in all senses of the phrase.

My first Spiritualized gig was at Reading University in 1991 or 1992, playing to 200 odd punters packed into the coffee bar in the student Union. I helped put some of the lights in, wierd spec, all floods, no gels, and all backlit meaning that the band would be shadows and the audience blinded. I was shocked by the number of strobes and moonflowers etc that went in a bit later in the day. As this venue had white walls and a very low white ceiling and somebody (not me) got carried away with the smoke machine, the whole f@cking room seemed to strobe. I lost track of the number of casualties who couldn't hack it. About four or five weeks afterwards I recall an even more intense MBV gig, but that is another story
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I dont think anything tops the first time you see Spiritualized. For me it was the LICD tour at hammersmith apollo and i remember during the free jazz part of Cop shoot cop the combination of the strobes and the intense white noise was the most amazing thing Ive ever experienced. I shut my eyes but I could still see the strobes. F'king genius! And the note at the end of let it flow that goes on for about a minute was incredible, It was like being in a trance. I can only imagine how good it must be to be on stage playing it.